HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #6

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2012, 06:28 AM
  #176
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Somehow the Devils went from the 27th ranked team in shots to averaging the same amount of shots as the #1 ranked team which was Pittsburgh haha.
good point

JXC is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 06:39 AM
  #177
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
but I dont think its asking much to make the saves you are supposed to make on a consistant basis.
That is the crux of the argument here. The BADz don't know what a soft goal is. For most of the year, EVERY goal Bryz allowed was a soft goal.

Luckily for the board, BP1974 and Fungie and achd and I have helped dial it back a bit.

But for as long as there are people who think that the goals depicted in photos in this thread are "saves you are supposed to make", there will be conflict here and there will be those who criticize Bryz wrongly.

JXC is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 07:38 AM
  #178
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
no, Fish/Beef, what is unbelievable, is that you could actually type with a straight face:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Because he is supposed to be our franchise goaltender who fixes the issues we had in the past.
[goaltending]

then
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I've also never once claimed he's the reason we are down.
then claim he hasn't solved the goaltending issue from the past.



this is worse than your "Blame Marty to blame Bryz, turning to 'Praise Danny' after his OT mistake, turning to 'Blame Bryz' for the same goal you praise Danny on" tap dance.

honestly, i don't know how you keep track of your stories


Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 05-08-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 09:49 AM
  #179
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,312
vCash: 156
Ignore what I said, restate what you said as if it will make any more sense the second time.


Rinse, repeat, I guess.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 09:51 AM
  #180
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I expect more from Bryz next season. I would like him to play at a much higher level, with that being said he didn't ruin the regular season and they still survived the 1st round with his struggles. If the Flyers lose to the Devils it will likely fall on the skaters at least as of now.

Somehow the Devils went from the 27th ranked team in shots to averaging the same amount of shots as the #1 ranked team which was Pittsburgh haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Yep that's the same one, where we should have been down 3-0 going into the 1st intermission...except that one guy, with the pads. Oh wait, nvm he's the scapegoat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
here is the deal that many of us are trying to say.

3. He was brought in to be the franchise goalie. He needs to step up and play like one on a more consitant basis.

4. Maybe the comparisons to Boucher or even Leighon are a bit of a stretch

5. I think we will all agree hes not getting much help in front of him at times this series

6. I cant speak for everyone, but I dont hate Bryzgalov. i want him to do well. I really do, but for most of us on this board(probably 99 percent of us) his play this season has really frustrated many of us. I gave him major props for his work in game 4. He was awesome. Now you cant expect him to be that good every night. That would be asking a lot of any goalie
i agree with these. love it.

many here feared Bryz would be the reason we got eliminated [if we did].

do i want to see a more consistent Bryz at a level of play somewhere between the playoffs this year & March Bryz ? absolutely, yes - we are paying for that.

but, at this point, i'll take what i can get: Bryz is not the reason we are down & has easily been the best Flyer vs NJ, and arguably a top 3 Flyer in the Playoffs overall so far.


Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 05-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
  #181
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Ignore what I said
they are direct quotes.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
  #182
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
here is the deal that many of us are trying to say.

1.
1. Agree, but I think his name shouldn't even be in the discussion.
2. Disagree. I don't think he's been inconsistent vs NJD.
3.im not sure what more he can do?
4.dont know how this is true? Inconsistent for PIT first 4 (did make some great saves...he was bad in 4), but good last 2 bs PIT, and good in all 4 vs NJD.
5.i count 1 in game 1 that "he" alone let up.
6.I think he's made many of the saves he should make.


Last edited by achdumeingute: 05-08-2012 at 10:28 AM.
achdumeingute is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 09:58 AM
  #183
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,312
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
they are direct quotes.
You ignored any point I made, and just restated what you said. Using direct quotes doesn't change a single thing about that, especially when you sucked context out of them.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 09:59 AM
  #184
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
You ignored any point I made, and just restated what you said. Using direct quotes doesn't change a single thing about that, especially when you sucked context out of them.

you want to clarify them, because it sure looks like you said:

'goaltending was the issue'
'Bryz isn't why we are down'
'Bryz hasn't solved the issue'

lemme guess: your reply will be 'oh, you just don't understand' ....

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
  #185
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,312
vCash: 156
Yeah, well you don't understand. I didn't say "goaltending is THE issue," but it definitely is one. It's remained inconsistent.

You know, if you stop twisting my words so that you think everything I say is "Bryz is to blame for all issues," it'd be pretty cool. Is this that anti-bryz conspiracy you think I'm a part of, again? I thought we'd gotten over that nonsense.

Seriously man, I don't know how you're struggling so mightily with this. It's ridiculous. It really is possible for Bryz to be underwhelming overall through two playoff series without him being the main reason they're facing elimination.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 10:19 AM
  #186
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Yeah, well you don't understand. I didn't say "goaltending is THE issue," but it definitely is one. It's remained inconsistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Because he is supposed to be our franchise goaltender who fixes the issues we had in the past.
sure looks like goaltending was the issue we had in the past. what other issue could a goalie be brought in to fix, after all?

i think we agree on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I've also never once claimed he's the reason we are down.
if he's not the reason, hasn't he fixed the [goaltending] issues we had in the past ?

because I can't see him being THE reason we lost games 2,3,4. those games are the reason we are down, and if you want to be exact about, game 2 made it 1 game apiece.

games 3 & 4 are why we are down 3 games to 1.

nobody here [except 5 people here] claim Bryz was at fault AT ALL in games 3 and 4. So, not only is he not THE reason we are down, he's not A reason at all that we are down in this series = he's obviously fixed the goaltending issue - he's not a reason to ANY degree that we are down.

and thats all we could ask for after this inconsistent year from Bryz: just don't be the reason we lose.

and he's not.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 10:24 AM
  #187
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,858
vCash: 500
3.49 gaa
.885 sav

hckyplayer8 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
  #188
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
3.49 gaa
.885 sav
you fogrot 51M$ to..


Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 10:33 AM
  #189
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
3.49 gaa
.885 sav
That tells me our team doesn't play very good defense.

The hard part about these stats is you can't compare them to another player, because that other player on another team has a completely different set of variables that make up their team and contribute to "the numbers". Would Quick have the same stats here? no way...

Other than "make the save", what more can he do on the goals he's given up? I agree game 1 goal 3 he should have had...


Last edited by achdumeingute: 05-08-2012 at 10:43 AM.
achdumeingute is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 10:35 AM
  #190
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,312
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
sure looks like goaltending was the issue we had in the past. what other issue could a goalie be brought in to fix, after all?

i think we agree on that.



if he's not the reason, hasn't he fixed the [goaltending] issues we had in the past ?

because I can't see him being THE reason we lost games 2,3,4. those games are the reason we are down, and if you want to be exact about, game 2 made it 1 game apiece.

games 3 & 4 are why we are down 3 games to 1.

nobody here [except 5 people here] claim Bryz was at fault AT ALL in games 3 and 4. So, not only is he not THE reason we are down, he's not A reason at all that we are down in this series = he's obviously fixed the goaltending issue - he's not a reason to ANY degree that we are down.

and thats all we could ask for after this inconsistent year from Bryz: just don't be the reason we lose.

and he's not.

Our goaltending problem in the past was mainly due to the inconsistency of the performance we'd get. We couldn't rely on our goalie to have an entire series of good games without a stinker or two. So far in the playoffs, Bryz has been pretty damned inconsistent as well. I encourage you to look beyond the last game and see the big picture, including the Pittsburgh series.

So, let's try and spell this out very simply: If inconsistent goaltending was the problem in the past, and Bryz is inconsistent, then that problem isn't solved.

However, just because that problem isn't solved doesn't mean he's been the reason they're losing this series. In the same way, just because Simmonds has has a bad playoffs, that doesn't mean he's at fault for the whole team.

I do not know how to make it any simpler than that. I'm sure now you're going to ignore any point I wanted to make, quote some random lines, and then say something which utterly fails to take into account anything I said.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 10:40 AM
  #191
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Our goaltending problem in the past was mainly due to the inconsistency of the performance we'd get. We couldn't rely on our goalie to have an entire series of good games without a stinker or two. So far in the playoffs, Bryz has been pretty damned inconsistent as well. I encourage you to look beyond the last game and see the big picture, including the Pittsburgh series.

So, let's try and spell this out very simply: If inconsistent goaltending was the problem in the past, and Bryz is inconsistent, then that problem isn't solved.

However, just because that problem isn't solved doesn't mean he's been the reason they're losing this series. In the same way, just because Simmonds has has a bad playoffs, that doesn't mean he's at fault for the whole team.

I do not know how to make it any simpler than that. I'm sure now you're going to ignore any point I wanted to make, quote some random lines, and then say something which utterly fails to take into account anything I said.
Well, I don't agree with your position on the last 6 games by bryz, but I think this does clarify your point.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 10:57 AM
  #192
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Our goaltending problem in the past was mainly due to the inconsistency of the performance we'd get.
no, the issue was that they NEVER looked as good as Bryz has movement wise, rarely made the spectacular saves that Bryz has made in the playoffs and ALWAYS let in 1 awful goal [ala SC winning goal for CHI] a game [goals far worse than your goal #3 in game 1 vs NJ]

and this was WITH Pronger.

they were VERY consistent.

if it was that they were great, but inconsistent, they would have tried to fix the inconsistent part. they were not talented enough. hence a replacement.

i know it kills you, but Bryz is not the reason we are losing. at least you admitted it. and that is about as much as i can ask for from him, considering his problems this year.

we all said "judge him in the playoffs", and not being the reason we are down is good enough for 95% of us here [even though we want him to be better next year]

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post

The hard part about stats is you can't compare them to another player, because that other player on another team has a completely different set of variables that make up their team and contribute to "the numbers".
Playoff wins:

Ilya Bryzgalov 5
Pekka Rinne 5
Craig Anderson 3
Tim Thomas 3
Brian Elliott 3
Jose Theodore 2
Corey Crawford 2
Marc-Andre Fleury 2
Cory Schneider 1
Jaroslav Halak 1
Jimmy Howard 1
Antti Niemi 1
Scott Clemmensen 1
Roberto Luongo 0

this must mean Bryz is equal to Rinne & better than the rest.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 11:09 AM
  #193
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
that other player on another team has a completely different set of variables that make up their team and contribute to "the numbers".
Too complicated for some here, I think.

The infamous Tampa Bay game illustrated quite clearly the folly of measuring goaltenders by Save Pctg and GAA. Life just isn't that simple.

JXC is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 11:16 AM
  #194
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,626
vCash: 50
I think I am done with this thread. I made my point and people still want to argue. At this point id be doing this


GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 11:26 AM
  #195
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think I am done with this thread. I made my point and people still want to argue. At this point id be doing this
this has been about 4 threads worth of that.

JXC essentially said it well, the divide is largely from people's perspective on what constitutes a bad goal. Very, very subjective.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 11:26 AM
  #196
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think I am done with this thread. I made my point and people still want to argue. At this point id be doing this

Yerp. Wont be surprised that 4-5 years from now this debate is still going on. Actually I'll be surprised if 2-3 players that are on this team not 5 years from now will still be on it.

Looking forward to the "The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #25".

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 11:39 AM
  #197
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,858
vCash: 500
This thread can go away if we would have a little more March Bryz and a little less Oct Bryz.

He has picked it up since the Pitt series though.

hckyplayer8 is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
  #198
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Playoff wins:

Ilya Bryzgalov 5
Pekka Rinne 5
Craig Anderson 3
Tim Thomas 3
Brian Elliott 3
Jose Theodore 2
Corey Crawford 2
Marc-Andre Fleury 2
Cory Schneider 1
Jaroslav Halak 1
Jimmy Howard 1
Antti Niemi 1
Scott Clemmensen 1
Roberto Luongo 0

this must mean Bryz is equal to Rinne & better than the rest.
LOL i love how you start with Bryz, and purposely left out all the goalies with more wins above him..

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
  #199
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,312
vCash: 156
I'm done with it. There's too much lunacy here, and arguing with loonies is a waste of time.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 11:43 AM
  #200
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yerp. Wont be surprised that 4-5 years from now this debate is still going on. Actually I'll be surprised if 2-3 players that are on this team not 5 years from now will still be on it.

Looking forward to the "The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #25".

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.