HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

KK will not return to Bingo

Old
05-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Zorf

vCash: 500
Turned down multiple contract offers, did he?

He's dead to me.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Caje

Best of luck to him. I hope he becomes an NHL coach some day.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:27 PM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
I was afaraid of this. The Sens were filed with players who he developed at Bingo this year.

After his meeting with Murray about the time he was talking about the poisonous
atmosphere down there it was reported that he seemed dejected when he left the meeting.
I was thinking about that as well. Now with him choosing to move on, you have to wonder what is going on in Bingo. May be that a new person will be good for the organization.

Wonder if KK being shut out of an assistanct job in Ottawa, then left with a shell of a team to rebuild in Bingo was enough to take the edge off his drive. I don't expect he will lack in job offers in the AHL or the CHL, maybe even an assistant in the NHL.

He did a great job with the Sens prospects, won a Calder Cup, and I wish him well in his future jobs.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
I see him landing in Calgary.
He deserves better.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Batali Crocs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Lack of possibility for advancement combined with the lack of support from the front office.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
This is terrible news, I just saw it on Twitter myself. Good luck to KK, wish he was coming back.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
They probably want a coach that is more similar in style to Maclean - and someone who will treat Lehner like a #1 Goalie and not a guy who is just fighting for the net.
If Lehner can't solidify the #1 spot for 2 seasons, that's on him, not the coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorf View Post
Turned down multiple contract offers, did he?

He's dead to me.
King of the idiot posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caje View Post
Best of luck to him. I hope he becomes an NHL coach some day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
He deserves better.
Agreed.

Best of luck KK.

Last edited by SixthSens: 05-08-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: flaming...
Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

^ Did you not really pick up on Happy Dude's sarcasm? The exclamation point is kind of a dead giveaway.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by toe2toe View Post
maybe if lehner proved he was a #1 guy it wouldnt be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Lehner is a number 1. He's shown it by winning the cup in the A and in the few games he played in Ottawa.

The problem I found last year is as soon as Lehner had a bad game, he would put McKenna in the net, instead of giving Lehner the chance to get into a groove and play like a number 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
Wrong, just flat out wrong.
I think we've touched on this on more than one occasion. Lehner is a very good goalie and Bingo is thankful to have him but I don't believe he's proven #1 status. He certainly didn't play like a #1 last season. Even if you could point to KK not playing him consistently I would point it right back and say Lehner has to respond and play well that next chance he gets.

Winning the Calder is an indication tho...here's a list of the last Calder winning goalies (consider their current status):

2010 - Holtby
2009 - Neuvirth
2008 - Pavelich
2007 - Price
2006 - Cassivi
2005 - Nittymaki
2004 - Flaherty
2003 - Holmqvist
2002 - Nurminen

Seems to be a half and half list - not bad. In any event we'll see how he does this season w/ the new coach.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
What a joke.. a coach version of Filatov. Enjoying motivating a bunch of washed up hockey goons in the coldest corners of Sibera, Kurt.

do you know what club??

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
I think we've touched on this on more than one occasion. Lehner is a very good goalie and Bingo is thankful to have him but I don't believe he's proven #1 status. He certainly didn't play like a #1 last season. Even if you could point to KK not playing him consistently I would point it right back and say Lehner has to respond and play well that next chance he gets.

Winning the Calder is an indication tho...here's a list of the last Calder winning goalies (consider their current status):

2010 - Holtby
2009 - Neuvirth
2008 - Pavelich
2007 - Price
2006 - Cassivi
2005 - Nittymaki
2004 - Flaherty
2003 - Holmqvist
2002 - Nurminen

Seems to be a half and half list - not bad. In any event we'll see how he does this season w/ the new coach.
part of becoming a #1 is being treated like a #1 even when you struggle - case in point Gerber when Emery was clearly outplaying him and then Emery when he was staying out all night and Gerber was being a good teammate - not the best example, but Lehner has done enough to be treated like a #1.

He should be groomed like a #1 and the new coach will probably get that memo first.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:19 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

This sucks. He's done great work in Bingo with the young players and winning that Calder Cup. There goes a big part of our strong developmental system. Hopefully the next guy can fill those shoes because we have a lot of important prospects incoming.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Part of becoming a #1 is playing consistently like a #1

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
Part of becoming a #1 is playing consistently like a #1
He won a calder cup and was the MVP at 19 - he won us regular season games this season when Anderson went down to get us into the playoffs - the kid has star potential, why give McKenna or some other ECHL/AHL journeymen time over Lehner?

It's like saying Erik Karlsson made to many mistakes as a rookie, send him back to Sweden, some players need to grow on the ice, Lehner is one of them.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Larionov

The writing was on the wall for this announcement when Kleinendorst didn't come to Ottawa to coach the Black Aces in the playoffs.

Coaching is a nomadic existence at the best of times, and the AHL is an especially transient place. You are on your way up, or on your way out. Either way, you rarely stay in a city long enough to hang pictures on the walls.

Elite level coaches all tend to have very healthy egos. That's actually good, as it's what makes them successful at what they do. Kleinendorst was probably wounded not to get the big job last year, and the prospect of staying in Bingo for the next two years was unappealing to him. He has a very good reputation, and if he can't get a an NHL head coaching job, he may well cash in by coaching in Russia or Europe next year. If so, good for him - you have to make your money when you can in a business as cut throat as that. He did a first rate job developing talent in Bingo, and I wish him all the best.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
He won a calder cup and was the MVP at 19 - he won us regular season games this season when Anderson went down to get us into the playoffs - the kid has star potential, why give McKenna or some other ECHL/AHL journeymen time over Lehner?

It's like saying Erik Karlsson made to many mistakes as a rookie, send him back to Sweden, some players need to grow on the ice, Lehner is one of them.
Which goes to show you how bad he was, to go from Calder Cup MVP to splitting time with a journeyman. You don't demote the guy based on merit, then promote the guy based on potential...he won't learn anything.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Which goes to show you how bad he was, to go from Calder Cup MVP to splitting time with a journeyman. You don't demote the guy based on merit, then promote the guy based on potential...he won't learn anything.
Lehner is the last guy I'm going to put blame on for last season's debacle. The team was destined for the basement after the shelves were left bare from bringing up Cowen, Greening, Condra, Butler, O'Brien and Daugavins from the Championship team.

I really hate to see KK go, but it was destined to happen and I'm certain it won't be long before he lands an NHL coaching position. Best of luck to the guy.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:41 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Good luck to coach KK & congrats on a Calder Cup Championship.

I wonder if assistant coach Steve Sterling is healthy enough to maybe take over the head coaching job?

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
N15H

Quote:
Originally Posted by toe2toe View Post
maybe if lehner proved he was a #1 guy it wouldnt be an issue.
yeah what he did in the playoffs last season doesn't count. Bingo has some of the most ungrateful fans I have ever heard mind you the odd one is ok. I really hope they move the AHL franchise somewhere else.

N15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

It's not about being grateful or not, it's about what is best for his development as a player and what is best for the Ottawa Senators. Lehner followed up greatness, with crap and you don't reward someone coming off crap. You send him back and let him show you that he has learned from the situation and stepped up his game...then you reward him. If not being the undisputed #1 goaltender causes Lehner to play like crap when he does get his shot, then he doesn't deserve to be the #1 goaltender. Putting up good stats in the AHL really shouldn't be such a hurdle for someone as talented as Lehner.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:25 PM
H2O

Can't say this is surprising, best of luck to him!

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by N15H View Post
yeah what he did in the playoffs last season doesn't count. Bingo has some of the most ungrateful fans I have ever heard mind you the odd one is ok. I really hope they move the AHL franchise somewhere else.
As previously stated Lehner was two game 7's, both of which ended in OT where it could have gone either way. I'm glad he picked up the wins but we all know if Ottawa just won that game 7 they probably would have been unstoppable and one unlucky bounce toward Lehner and Bingo doesn't win the cup.

I think the focus from those of us who have been skeptical of Lehner is that a majority of hf'ers want to hand him the #1 job but I'd like to see a little more production from him before he's given regular time in the O. He did perform a great accomplishment by winning the MVP and Calder but to follow it up with the season he had is not making him any more desirable. If he's not the type of goalie that can win hockey games (with the depleted lineup Bingo had last season) then he's just another goalie. I'm all in favour of him being treated like a #1 but he has to be more consistent to get a vote of confidence from us doubters.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Iamok
#Panic

I'm not sure how you can be surprised by this. BM said it himself that KK is a HC not an assistant, and after the season our team had there's no chance he replaces any of them even if he wanted to be an assistant.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Not that I'm a huge fan/interested in Bingo...

This is definitely a loss, he seemed like a legit top guy.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:15 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

... uh... we sent Erik Karlsson down because he wasn't good enough for the NHL. If Lehner gets a free ride in the AHL, it's not good for his development. We want to build a competitive team, that means pushing Lehner by having other goaltending options. Lehner has proven that he's got potential, now he needs to put that potential to work and earn his minutes.

05-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Sens Mile

Simply giving Sterling the job seems a bit too much like the Paddock situation to me personally. The guy I want them to give an interview to however is this guy.

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Mike Haviland just got fired in Chicago.

Pick up the phone.

The guy has never had a losing season...IN HIS CAREER.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote