HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux suspended for one game

Old
05-08-2012, 07:39 AM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I have no issue with the suspension in a vacuum, what I do have a problem with is the precedent was already set that he shouldn't have be suspended.

He was made an example to the Flyers for crying about dirty play of the golden boys on that team to our west.
IMO, the "frustration factor" in Shannahan's decision tells it all. He is punished for yelling at the ref for missing calls and then taking the law in his own hands. I do not think that the league had any other choice at that point.

It was a knucklehead penalty and deserved suspension.

Agree with the rest of the group that Shannahan's incosistency is mind boggling, though

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:39 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I have no issue with the suspension in a vacuum, what I do have a problem with is the precedent was already set that he shouldn't have be suspended.

He was made an example to the Flyers for crying about dirty play of the golden boys on that team to our west. No more, no less. The Coward Shanahan gave the same reasoning he did for James Neal, aside from that whole "previous history" thing.

If I were Holmgren, I'd sound off on that, and if I were Ed Snider, I'd tell him I got the tab for it. What use does fining the team who provides your television contract do?

And we still don't know the rules.

Whatever. It's not our year anyways.
100% this.

In isolation, suspension is fine.

Look beyond that and it continues to be inconsistent.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:45 AM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
Can he appeal it and if so, will it allow him to play in game 5 until another ruling is setup ?
don't know the process of appeals !!
im curious about this also...does anybody know?

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
im curious about this also...does anybody know?
He stays suspended pending the outcome of the appeal.

Thus the reason Raffi Torres hasn't reappeared for the Coyotes.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Ryan52

to those who thought zubrus was embellishing, have you ever even played hockey, let alone take a hit to the head?

anyways, i think you guys will bounce back and take the next game. im personally hoping for a kings - flyers cup final, and i still have faith in it

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Badko

Ranger fan here. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel for you guys. I've seen much worse during these playoffs that has gone unpunished. As much as I liked Brendan Shanahan as a player, he is doing the league a disservice with his rulings. Just what the NHL needs is to take some intensity out of the playoffs. That'll increase the popularity in the US.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
clumping platelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badko View Post
Ranger fan here. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel for you guys. I've seen much worse during these playoffs that has gone unpunished. As much as I liked Brendan Shanahan as a player, he is doing the league a disservice with his rulings. Just what the NHL needs is to take some intensity out of the playoffs. That'll increase the popularity in the US.

I agree with you. Weber should have gotten 2-3 games but only got $2,500 fine

Shamahan needs a new job and get someone in there who have the nads to be fair and equal

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:07 AM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan52 View Post
to those who thought zubrus was embellishing, have you ever even played hockey, let alone take a hit to the head?
Well it is one of those weird areas where unless you've been there it doesn't make sense (the reaction to being hit up high that is).

It's sort of like soccer in a way. A lot of my friends think everything is a dive. One day we were out on the beach and I challenged one to 100 yard dash. I barely nicked his calf (on purpose) and the guy went down like a sack of potatoes and rolled another good 10 feet. When you're flying at full speed you go down easy. When you're flying at full speed and have to control a bouncing ball, you go down even easier. After that they understood.

With hockey its sort of the same way in regard to head shots. People forget just how fast these guys are traveling, how hard the protection is that they are launching into a head, etc. So when a quick chip to the head happens and there is a guy rolling around on the ice, everyone just laughs. Even though I believe that same EXACT thing happened to JVR. A quick little shot to his head, he went down full force like crazy. He ended up with a concussion. A lot of people thought he was embellishing.

Any way, the suspension is insane, not because it shouldn't be suspended (in my head he should be out 10+ games... I HATE head shots), but because of the pure inconsistency on the leagues part. Its frustrating as a fan and I've mentioned it on here that its things like this that just push me further away from watching the game.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Amateur Hour

Great article from Sam Donnellon about Giroux's suspension; articulates the lack of consistency and total hypocrisy from Shanahan that's angered everyone: http://www.philly.com/philly/columni...preferred.html

Worth the read.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Great article from Sam Donnellon about Giroux's suspension; articulates the lack of consistency and total hypocrisy from Shanahan that's angered everyone: http://www.philly.com/philly/columni...preferred.html

Worth the read.
Normally Donnellon bothers me a bit but I liked that.

I particularly liked the point that Shanny looked at Neal as "2 separate incidents" and then for Giroux said "if you look at the entirety of his shift".

Old
05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

It was an ok commentary..made good points but the one below kind of baffles me still. Does a DEPARTMENT of player safety really exist as I asked up thread? Who is it staffed by and how representative and objective is it? He goes on to rip Shanahan the "Czar" yet he claims there are "layers" of government regulation? Are there? Seems like an arbitrary dictatorship to me based on the whims of an incompetent dude who makes things up as he goes along.....

Quote:
Hockey used to live by its own creed like that, policing cheap shots with cheap shots, the eye-for-an-eye approach. Those days are long gone, replaced by layers of government regulation that would make even the most ardent Obama supporters gasp.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/columni...#ixzz1uIUuzoG2

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:18 PM
the lers

honestly, I have trouble saying anyone should be suspended if they didn't think that what Weber did warranted one

the lers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:31 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Yeah. It's not the one game suspension that annoys me, that's I think a fair ruling. What gets me is the inconsistency leading up to this point, which then frustrates me that he happened to finally get it right when it's my team they get it right with.

And as others mentioned, Weber's WWE style "headshot to the turnbuckle" and as Donnellon described Neal's "incidents," it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

It's funny to see how Shanny pretty much lost all the respect he earned from a 20 year playing career in a single year for being an inconsistent disciplinary. And the biggest mistake everyone made is believing he'd save us from the evil tyrant that was Colin Campbell.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
It was an ok commentary..made good points but the one below kind of baffles me still. Does a DEPARTMENT of player safety really exist as I asked up thread? Who is it staffed by and how representative and objective is it? He goes on to rip Shanahan the "Czar" yet he claims there are "layers" of government regulation? Are there? Seems like an arbitrary dictatorship to me based on the whims of an incompetent dude who makes things up as he goes along.....
Fair point. I'm curious as well...

Old
05-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
My favourite idea was put forward by Lindros when Campell was being replaced, saying they should have a panel, possibly composed of:

Ex-Player
Ex-Coach
Ex-Ref

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
My favourite idea was put forward by Lindros when Campell was being replaced, saying they should have a panel, possibly composed of:

Ex-Player
Ex-Coach
Ex-Ref
Throw in an Ex-Wife for good measure.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:20 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Thanks Shanny for suspending our top scorer in a crucial game, what a joke!
Giroux never left his feet, no penalty called, no past record and didn't look like he intended to injure Zubrus but lets suspend him! What a fine wasn't good enough?
Shanny has to go!

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:21 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Giroux never left his feet, no penalty called, no past record and didn't look like he intended to injure Zubrus but lets suspend him! What a fine wasn't good enough?
Shanny has to go!
A penalty was called.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:28 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
A penalty was called.
Sorry, meant to say no "Major" penalty was called.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:31 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Shanny has to go!
The one game suspension was 100% warranted and if anyone had done the same thing to Roo, we'd want the guys head served on a platter. Roo didn't do much in this series anyway, along with the rest of the team so are you going to blame Shanny for them being down 3-1 at that point?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Flyrs21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post

Ex-Player
Ex-Coach
Ex-Ref
There is a committee that discusses the incident and determines a ruling. I believe Rob Blake and a couple others sit down with Shanahan and discuss the incidents and then determine the outcome.

Not 100% sure but I think Shanahan is just the head of the committee.

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:54 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The one game suspension was 100% warranted and if anyone had done the same thing to Roo, we'd want the guys head served on a platter. Roo didn't do much in this series anyway, along with the rest of the team so are you going to blame Shanny for them being down 3-1 at that point?
That happened! Remember James Neal? Neal's hit on Giroux was totally deliberate unlike Giroux rubbing off Zubrus and Zubrus selling it. Giroux is not a dirty player and had no prior incidents before this happened, Shanny made an example out of Giroux that's all.
Still didn't warrant a suspension, maybe a fine. Maybe next time Zubrus will keep his head up.
I'm blaming Shanny for taking out our top scorer in a crucial game, who wouldn't?

Old
05-10-2012, 04:00 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
That happened! Remember James Neal? Neal's hit on Giroux was totally deliberate unlike Giroux rubbing off Zubrus and Zubrus selling it. Giroux is not a dirty player and had no prior incidents before this happened, Shanny made an example out of Giroux that's all.
Still didn't warrant a suspension, maybe a fine. Maybe next time Zubrus will keep his head up.
I'm blaming Shanny for taking out our top scorer in a crucial game, who wouldn't?
I didn't realize you were visually impaired. Zubrus didn't see Giroux as he made a beeline towards him because he was ahead of him. He also didn't have the puck anywhere near him. Go ahead and blame Shanny all you want but Giroux lost his temper and it cost him.

I think in a way it's a good thing. Between that and Lavi's comment about him being the best player in the world, he cracked. Hopefully they won't hand the captaincy over to him because I don't want him ruined like Richards was. Giroux is awkward with the media and he should just be allowed to play as an alternate till he's older.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:03 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I didn't realize you were visually impaired. Zubrus didn't see Giroux as he made a beeline towards him because he was ahead of him. He also didn't have the puck anywhere near him. Go ahead and blame Shanny all you want but Giroux lost his temper and it cost him.

I think in a way it's a good thing. Between that and Lavi's comment about him being the best player in the world, he cracked. Hopefully they won't hand the captaincy over to him because I don't want him ruined like Richards was. Giroux is awkward with the media and he should just be allowed to play as an alternate till he's older.
Visually Impaired? I'm not the Jays fan here.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:15 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Visually Impaired? I'm not the Jays fan here.
Do you have a rebuttal to what I said?