HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
So who's left?

Roy and ?
Not sure who the guys getting interviews will be but there will be more than just Roy. Crawford, Hartley and I'm sure a few others

Old
05-08-2012, 07:55 AM
onice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Come on now....you're being ridiculous. Houle started his era with a decent Habs team and just mutilated it until we had nothing. Almost all his trades made us older. Gainey brought a 1st place finish in the Eastern Conference, a semi-final appearance and stability to the organization after Houle tore the team apart. There is no comparison. Up until this year, the Gainey/Gauthier era was mediocre at worst. The Houle era was a disaster similar to what's been going on in Toronto since the lockout. There was no hope whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The only real core player they let walk was McDonough and he was just a prospect at the time. I'm sure those two made their share of mistakes but they hardly "gutted" the team. The Habs are in 5x better shape than a lot of teams despitea crappy year, for example Calgary.
Houle did not start with a decent team. Savard's last complete year the Habs finished out of the playoffs. Houle inherited an organization that had one of the worst scouting teams in the league during Savard's last few years.

Houle had to cut payroll - orders from the bosses - and he had to rebuild his scouting. That's a daunting task for an experienced GM, forget about a rookie.

Gainey & Gauthier had a team that was steered into the right direction by Andre Savard and they inherited what turned out to be the best amateur head scout in the last decade.

They took this golden goose _Trevor Timmins - and proceeded to squander all the riches he brought into the organization.

Ribeiro (not a TT pick) traded for nothing
Theodore for one marvelous year of Abeischer
Sign Samaonov and then trade him for two cap hit AHLers.
Traded a 1st & a 2nd for one year of Tanguay
Grab for Patyern & a 2nd
a 2nd & a 3rd for a few months of Schneider
the Gomez trade
Lats for Pouliot
Chips for a 4th
2nd for a ferw months of Domenic Moore
D'ago for Palushaj the AHLer
Sergei for nothing

I don't want to go on. It gets me sick. There was no vision. It was a constant quick fix where we traded players with futures of 5-10 years in the league for players that could help us for 3-4-5 months. You string 5 or 6 of those trades together and you gut your team.

Even the few trades that Gainey came out on top were in this vein.

And i repeat the only thing that masked the ineptitude of the GAiney/Gauthier era was Timmins the golden goose who kept bringing in players to fill up the gaping holes those two created.

Houle didn't have a Timmins on his staff.

Last edited by onice: 05-08-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old
05-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Well, Gillis wouldn't speak so glowingly of AV today if the owner didnt give him the green light to bring him back. The only way AV leaves now is if he wants to leave himself. I think we can scratch his name off.

I still consider Q my #1 guy, if he's available. I like his style and intensity. He brings instant credibility, and the players should respond. He might not be your guy if you are not a fan of line juggling though. He's one of the guys who does it more often, but that's not a huge issue for me.

I know what I dont want at this point and that is hartley nor MT.
Agree with my fellow BC resident on all points, except that I have Hartley as my number 2 candidate behind Quenneville (if available).

Old
05-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Agree with my fellow BC resident on all points, except that I have Hartley as my number 2 candidate behind Quenneville (if available).
Watching and listening to Crawford on TSN made me like him this year, I like the way he thinks and notices a lot of things on the ice. Also him being from 45 minutes from Montreal with a francophone wife and bilingual kids is a big + for him. I was never a huge Hartley fan and the things I've been reading about Quenneville from the Hawks board makes me want to stay away

Old
05-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Watching and listening to Crawford on TSN made me like him this year, I like the way he thinks and notices a lot of things on the ice. Also him being from 45 minutes from Montreal with a francophone wife and bilingual kids is a big + for him. I was never a huge Hartley fan and the things I've been reading about Quenneville from the Hawks board makes me want to stay away
I would take Crawford ahead of Roy, Hartley, Therrien etc for sure.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:40 AM

With Quenneville and Vigneault seemingly out of reach...Marc Crawford has to be at the top of the list at this point.

I'm less worried about Crawford's past...more interested in good GM/coach relations

and guys like Quenneville and Crawford are reported to be close to Bergevin.

We've seen what a disconnect between management and coach can do...because to me, it didn't look like Gauthier/Gainey built the type of team that Jaques Martin could coach, was like fitting square pegs into round holes.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3895136.story

So Quenneville might not be available based on what Stan Bowman has stated.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Galaad64

I wrote before that Quenneville did not speak french fluently and did not feel good about it. But this was before I saw this article:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...el-quenneville

This changes a lot of things, because it means he was raised in a franco-ontariens family and went to a french school. So, he does a good basis to start with and just need a refresh. When you spend all your days thinking in english for many years, it is normal to be very rusty. But I think it would work quite alright in Montreal if he is helped and there is progress, just like Jesse Marsch with the Impact.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:18 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

That is by far the guy I want most

Wait, there is still a chance for coach Q.

Darren Dreger said on team 990, that one of the reason why the Hawks won't fire him is because he makes 2M in the next to years, and if they fire him they would have to pay it all. Unless they know for sure he would go to MTL, that might change things.

Last edited by habs03: 05-08-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old
05-08-2012, 11:36 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:

Yeah, too bad. Guess we now have to shift back to the usual suspects.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Galaad64

Quote:

I do not see Bowman commenting a rumor like this besides the need to make the point that Quenneville is there to stay.

So, next ! Jacques Lemaire ?

Old
05-08-2012, 11:57 AM
habitue*

Martin Lapointe, a good friend of Bergevin, and a pro scout in the Hawks org. has told to some media (la Presse) that he would be interested by an assistant-coach job in Montreal.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post

That is by far the guy I want most

Wait, there is still a chance for coach Q.

Darren Dreger said on team 990, that one of the reason why the Hawks won't fire him is because he makes 2M in the next to years, and if they fire him they would have to pay it all. Unless they know for sure he would go to MTL, that might change things.
Cmon something can be worked out

Price for Q + Crawford

I think Mike Haviland if the whole French issue could be put aside would be Berg's preference

Old
05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Cmon something can be worked out

Price for Q + Crawford

I think Mike Haviland if the whole French issue could be put aside would be Berg's preference
You have a deal

include Toews and Kane

Old
05-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Houle did not start with a decent team. Savard's last complete year the Habs finished out of the playoffs. Houle inherited an organization that had one of the worst scouting teams in the league during Savard's last few years.

Houle had to cut payroll - orders from the bosses - and he had to rebuild his scouting. That's a daunting task for an experienced GM, forget about a rookie.

Gainey & Gauthier had a team that was steered into the right direction by Andre Savard and they inherited what turned out to be the best amateur head scout in the last decade.

They took this golden goose _Trevor Timmins - and proceeded to squander all the riches he brought into the organization.

Grab for Patyern & a 2nd
the Gomez trade
Lats for Pouliot
Chips for a 4th
Sergei for nothing

I don't want to go on. It gets me sick. There was no vision. It was a constant quick fix where we traded players with futures of 5-10 years in the league for players that could help us for 3-4-5 months. You string 5 or 6 of those trades together and you gut your team.

And i repeat the only thing that masked the ineptitude of the GAiney/Gauthier era was Timmins the golden goose who kept bringing in players to fill up the gaping holes those two created.

Again...ridiculous. Houle came in with a team that had Turgeon, Damphousse and a young Koivu down the middle and a franchise goalie in nets. He drove the team into the ground. You can mention Timmins but other than the Centennial Season, Gainey didn't try to take any short cuts in building the team despite a very tough media/fan-base and kept almost all their draft picks. Also, Gainey put a strong farm system together in Hamilton that enabled our prospects to shine/develop. Let's not forget that when the Habs finished 1st in the East, everyone in hockey thought they'd be serious contenders for years to come. During the centennial season, the players melted down both on and off the ice. Many of these players were drafted by Timmins (who you seem to think made Gainey). Also, give credit to Gainey for keeping Timmins and letting him get some good scouts. It was Gauthier who clipped Timmins' wings in the scouting staff and micromanaged by getting rid of some of the guys who Timmins leaned on (including David Mayville who pushed for Subban) and replacing them with his own guys. Last but not least, almost all the media and posters on this site (and I'd guess you were one of them since you seem to hate everything Gainey) wanted Price run out of town. Who was his biggest supporter all along? It was Bob Gainey. To compare the Gainey era to the Houle era is laughable. The Gainey era was totally respectable. The Houle era was totally hopeless.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:05 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Again...ridiculous. Houle came in with a team that had Turgeon, Damphousse and a young Koivu down the middle and a franchise goalie in nets. He drove the team into the ground. You can mention Timmins but other than the Centennial Season, Gainey didn't try to take any short cuts in building the team despite a very tough media/fan-base and kept almost all their draft picks. Also, Gainey put a strong farm system together in Hamilton that enabled our prospects to shine/develop. Let's not forget that when the Habs finished 1st in the East, everyone in hockey thought they'd be serious contenders for years to come. During the centennial season, the players melted down both on and off the ice. Many of these players were drafted by Timmins (who you seem to think made Gainey). Also, give credit to Gainey for keeping Timmins and letting him get some good scouts. It was Gauthier who clipped Timmins' wings in the scouting staff and micromanaged by getting rid of some of the guys who Timmins leaned on (including David Mayville who pushed for Subban) and replacing them with his own guys. Last but not least, almost all the media and posters on this site (and I'd guess you were one of them since you seem to hate everything Gainey) wanted Price run out of town. Who was his biggest supporter all along? It was Bob Gainey. To compare the Gainey era to the Houle era is laughable. The Gainey era was totally respectable. The Houle era was totally hopeless.
The "Houle era" was made possible BECAUSE of Ronald Corey's panic moves and lack of vision.

If there is someone to blame, that's him ! He was scared by Serge Savard who wanted his President's job, and in thee same day, fire both him and Jacques Demers.... And replace them by 3 guys with no NHL GM and coaching experience: Houle, Tremblay and Cournoyer. And we all know the rest... He started the domino effect that we can still feel today.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
It's amazing how little credit Gainey is given now.

He came into a team with very little going for them and he built up a great youth system and had them contending for the playoffs every year.

People are really morons.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Martin Lapointe, a good friend of Bergevin, and a pro scout in the Hawks org. has told to some media (la Presse) that he would be interested by an assistant-coach job in Montreal.
Well he would have to wait till the coach comes in first, coachs bring in their own guys. I figure Bergevin would want Lapointe for something other than assistant coach.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Galaad64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Well he would have to wait till the coach comes in first, coachs bring in their own guys. I figure Bergevin would want Lapointe for something other than assistant coach.
I have the same impression, would not be surprised he gets player development.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
It's amazing how little credit Gainey is given now.

He came into a team with very little going for them and he built up a great youth system and had them contending for the playoffs every year.

People are really morons.
What great youth system? What's in Hamilton right now? He and Goat traded young guys like Ribeiro, Lats and Lapierre for peanuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaad64 View Post
I have the same impression, would not be surprised he gets player development.
That would be perfect given his personality, like Claude Ruel used to do: drill guys so they become NHL-ready.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
I'm not completely sold on Crow, but he would certainly please the fans who have been complaining of the habs passive style under JM. He's a guy who promotes an up tempo style.

If you give him a goalie like Price, his style can be effective, I suppose. What I dont like about him is that he has a clear double standard with his players and he tends to keep a few designated whipping boys, while making sure not to push the buttons of the star players. I dont know if that's a recipe for long term success, as I'm tired of the 2 year coaching terms.

I'd exhaust other avenues before I take his candidacy seriously, though.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I don't know, I think Therrien and Hartley for example have a lot more to offer still. Crawford is used up, he failed miserably in Dallas and LA while Therrien at least got the Pens to the Stanley Cup finals the year before he retired. I have the impression that Therrien's third gig in the NHL, if the conditions are great will be his best.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:39 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

Grab for Patyern & a 2nd
the Gomez trade
Lats for Pouliot
Chips for a 4th
Sergei for nothing

considering Theo's contract and the way he was playing is was a GREAT move. Sure, it was a way to fix the Theo contract situation, but we didnt give anything of value there, au contraire.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
considering Theo's contract and the way he was playing is was a GREAT move. Sure, it was a way to fix the Theo contract situation, but we didnt give anything of value there, au contraire.
I remember when the original trade offer (before Theo's meltdown and all that mafia stuff) was Aebischer+Milan Hejduk. Our GM turned it down. Unfortunate.

Although during Savard's reign, right after we eliminated the Bruins in the first year (and had Theo's amazing year/POs), we could of had Kovalchuk. The only guy we would have lost that we still have from that trade would have been Markov. I think we would have also finished really low in the following year allowing us to draft quite high again. The habs would have been in a completely different place had that been the case.

Imagine...having Kovalchuk...oh well.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:04 PM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't know, I think Therrien and Hartley for example have a lot more to offer still. Crawford is used up, he failed miserably in Dallas and LA while Therrien at least got the Pens to the Stanley Cup finals the year before he retired. I have the impression that Therrien's third gig in the NHL, if the conditions are great will be his best.
By retired you mean fired. Lets be clear he didn't walk away from the Pens they walked away from him.

Closed Thread