HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread

Well, now that we are golfing, figured I'd get this started. I'll add as we go.

Predators Free Agents

UFA

Forwards: Andrei Kostitsyn, Paul Gaustad, Jordin Tootoo, Brandon Yip, Brian McGrattan, Brodie Dupont

Defenseman: Ryan Suter, Hal Gill, Francis Bouillon, Tyler Sloan

Goalies: None

RFA

Forwards: Sergei Kostitsyn, Alexander Radulov, Colin Wilson Jack Maclellan, Ryan Thand, Zach Stortini, Chris Mueller, Ryan Flynn

Defenseman: Shea Weber, Jack Hillen, Jon Blum, Teemu Laakso

Goalies: Anders Lindback, Jeremy Smith, Atte Engren

Off-Season Targets

List of UFA Forwards
List of UFA Defensemen
List of UFA Goalies

List of RFA Forwards
List of RFA Defensemen
List of RFA Goalies

Possible Trade Bait

Colin Wilson, Ryan Ellis, Jon Blum, Anders Lindback, UFA Rights of Ryan Suter

Main Storyline

Will the abomination come true?

Old
05-08-2012, 08:17 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Re-sign A-Kos, Weber, Tootoo, Gaustad, Radulov, Wilson, Blum, Lindback. And... I guess Suter. He didn't have the best of playoffs this go round, but we're still a better team with him than without him.

Replace Hill with Sarich if he's UFA (if only because Sarich hits).

Kostitsyn-Legwand-Kostitsyn
Radulov-Wilson-Erat
Bourque-Fisher-Hornqvist
Halischuk-Smith-Tootoo

Suter-Weber
Sarich-Blum
Ellis-Josi/Klein

Rinne
Lindback

Old
05-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Top 6 Spaling

My plan if Suter wants out:

Trade Ellis+Wilson+Suter's rights for Krejci+Ference
Sign Carle (Or Wideman/Sarich, take your pick)
Re-sign AK, Yip, McG, Weber, SK, Blum
Sign Huselius

Erat-Krejci-AK
SK-Fisher-Smith
Bourque-Legwand-Huselius
Hornqvist-Spaling-Yip

Weber-Josi
Carle-Ference
Klein-Blum

Rinne
Lindy

Old
05-08-2012, 08:58 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I don't mean to as I've already said this, but if/when Suter leaves, I'm talking to Weber immediately. If he only wants another one year deal, he's trade bait. I'm also checking the market for Lindback. See if he'll fetch us a first and sign a cheap backup. I think Lindy only started in 13 games this year.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:12 AM
handsomehal
Rookie User

ditch tootoo - put wilson in his place. tootoo is a waste of a roster spot.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Risotto

how much more money do you all think can be spent on player salaries?

Old
05-08-2012, 09:27 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Any one know if Poile plans on doing an end of the year presser?

Old
05-08-2012, 09:42 AM
utkpred

ditch AK, Suter, Tootoo

snag Parise

/done

Old
05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I don't think we are going to recognize a lot of the players on our team next year. I expect huge amounts of change.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:50 AM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
I don't think we are going to recognize a lot of the players on our team next year. I expect huge amounts of change.
That's what I'm expecting as well.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
utkpred

doesnt seem so hard

http://capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster.php?id=2495

Old
05-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I'm still gonna stick by what I said before signing Rinne.

As long as we sign two of the big three to long term deals I'm gonna be a happy camper.

We've obviously got Rinne locked up long-term, if all we do (besides sign guys like Wilson, Blum and SK) is re-sign Weber to a 5, 7, 10 year contract, then to me this will be a successful off season.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:12 PM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Priority #1: Sign Shea Weber. If Suter doesn't want to be here, get the eff out and good luck without Shea. If Suter leaves, obviously he will need to be replaced by a Matt Carle/Dennis Wideman type and the progression of young guns Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, and/or Blum.

Priority #2: FIND A SKILLED CENTER!! 1st or 2nd liner, so long as they move Fisher and Legwand to the 2nd and 3rd center positions. This was a glaring weakness in our series against Phoenix. If it means trading Wilson, Ellis, Blum, etc. do it!

Priority #3: Sign Radulov, but don't break the bank. If he wants to be here, great, he will only get better the longer he plays in Trotz's system.

Priority #4: Sign the Kostitsyns, but once again, don't break the bank. If they really want to play together they will have to take less money. The disappearing ACTS by Sergei this season/playoffs can't be ignored. If they are sent packing, a top 6 spot is Wilson's to lose at training camp.

I think Wilson is our best trading asset, I want to see him succeed so bad but he just can't seem to get out of Trotz's doghouse. I would be sad to see him go, but happy to see him given an oppurtunity somewhere else.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:20 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Suter ... well we see if his words were sincere or lip service. He is domino one this summer and I expect to know by draft day what his plans are. Either a trade for his rights or his signature on a new contract.

I doubt we see Weber leave on an offer sheet. What team has both the cap space to offer him more than we'd match and the willingness to part with first rounders through 2016? It's a very tall order to pull off.

Definitely need to look at a true top line center if the owners do open up the check book. Radulov didn't play himself into a huge dollar, long term contract. AK is probably just a rental. I'd like to see Gaustad stay for that 4th line, PK center role.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:35 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stache of Shea Weber View Post
Priority #1: Sign Shea Weber. If Suter doesn't want to be here, get the eff out and good luck without Shea. If Suter leaves, obviously he will need to be replaced by a Matt Carle/Dennis Wideman type and the progression of young guns Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, and/or Blum.

Priority #2: FIND A SKILLED CENTER!! 1st or 2nd liner, so long as they move Fisher and Legwand to the 2nd and 3rd center positions. This was a glaring weakness in our series against Phoenix. If it means trading Wilson, Ellis, Blum, etc. do it!

Priority #3: Sign Radulov, but don't break the bank. If he wants to be here, great, he will only get better the longer he plays in Trotz's system.

Priority #4: Sign the Kostitsyns, but once again, don't break the bank. If they really want to play together they will have to take less money. The disappearing ACTS by Sergei this season/playoffs can't be ignored. If they are sent packing, a top 6 spot is Wilson's to lose at training camp.

I think Wilson is our best trading asset, I want to see him succeed so bad but he just can't seem to get out of Trotz's doghouse. I would be sad to see him go, but happy to see him given an oppurtunity somewhere else.

2. Legwand time is limited. If anyone should be used as trade bait it is him and SK. Move Fisher to the 3rd or 4th line he has no business in the top 6.

4. No reason for SK or AK to be here next year. SK disappears when things get tough we can find another foward who is just as good and plays defense.

Wilson should not be a trade bait. The kid played like a beast in the playoffs and was one of the best players on the team earlier in the year. I think he is going to be a stone in this teams future. A big physical center who has talent. It would be a risky move after what you have invested. I doubt you are going to get something better or equal to him. Him and Trotz need to have a come to Jesus meeting and then move on.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
brian822

Was skiming through the thread to see your thoughts about Suter staying or going. I saw a couple of you suggested Matt Carle. Trust me, you want no part of him especially with the salary he will probably get.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian822 View Post
Was skiming through the thread to see your thoughts about Suter staying or going. I saw a couple of you suggested Matt Carle. Trust me, you want no part of him especially with the salary he will probably get.
90% Suter is gone. He wants to be #1, and it wont happen behind Weber. My guesses are San Jose (family connection) or Detroit (Especially if Lidstrom retires).

I suggested Carle but I haven't seen much of him. Is he that bad? Our other options are Kubina, Wideman, Rosival, Allen, and Corvo...

Old
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM
brian822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
90% Suter is gone. He wants to be #1, and it wont happen behind Weber. My guesses are San Jose (family connection) or Detroit (Especially if Lidstrom retires).

I suggested Carle but I haven't seen much of him. Is he that bad? Our other options are Kubina, Wideman, Rosival, Allen, and Corvo...
It depends. If you're signing Carle to pair him with Weber he'd be ok. If you're signing him to anchor your 2nd pairing then no. Personally I think he isn't worth the price he'll get in FA which could be 5+. Carle has been horrendous vs NJ. The fact that Carle has stood out in the sea of suck that is Philly right now that's saying something.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I said on the playoff board that I think Josi can play Suter's minutes. Whether we want to actually try that is a totally different discussion, but we're not at a total loss if Suter bolts.

We need a good center. I was hoping we would land Roy at the trade deadline, but that didn't materialize, and our lack of a top-end center showed in the playoffs. If we're going to commit on a medium- or long-term deal for Radulov - which I think we should do - we need to get a center that can play with him. Fisher won't cut it. Our best and only free agent bet for that kind of player is Olli Jokinen. Not sure I want to go that route.

Otherwise, up front, Gaustad is obviously gone, especially if he still wants that alleged $3M a year. He's a solid player, but he's not worth that, though some team will be stupid enough to give him that kind of money. The circumstances with Wilson make him trade bait, unfortunately. I think he's going to be a really good player, but our needs suggest that he could be expendable this summer. I'd like to keep Andrei, if we can; he's a big body who is clinical around the net, and that's something this team needs.

The rest is just depth. Depth is replaceable. Yip is not Joel Ward, nor will he be; I fully expect him to walk.

Defensively, if the club has the confidence in Josi that I do, we'll look to add a good depth guy to log 18 minutes a night. It could be Gill, who I think was a really good addition. I don't think it's Bouillon, though he actually had a pretty good postseason. Blum, Laakso, Ellis, and Ekholm will all be competing for roster spots. If Ekholm can translate his form from Sweden to the States, he and Ellis probably have the inside track. I'm on the fence about retaining Hillen, so that could be anywhere from two to four spots (out of seven) open on the defense.

In goal... well, Rinne, Rinne, and more Rinne. He showed this year that he can handle the kind of workload we need from him. If there's a market for Lindback, go for it, and either promote Smith or sign a UFA backup and give Jeremy another year to cook in Milwaukee. There are a handful of options, and goalies are a buyer's market these days.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:25 PM
cleangene

This is probably off topic, (and I apologize for that) but does anyone think Peks wasn't rested enough for the playoffs?? He wasn't as sharp as he NEEDED to be for the entire run, IMO.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Flyers fan here.

Trust me, for the price Carle is going to get in FA, he's not worth it. Neither is Kubina, who in our sea of suck of defensemen cannot beat out Andreas Lilja for a spot in the line-up.

I'm not too familiar with the Predators line-up or prospect pool, but would you guys be interested in a deal revolving around JvR for a defenseman?

Old
05-09-2012, 02:12 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Any one know if Poile plans on doing an end of the year presser?
I believe they said it would be on Thursday.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:02 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
This is probably off topic, (and I apologize for that) but does anyone think Peks wasn't rested enough for the playoffs?? He wasn't as sharp as he NEEDED to be for the entire run, IMO.
He had a whole week off before round two. Everyone should have been rested.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:13 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

I would go as far to say as the week off threw him off his rhythm.

Weber, Andrei and Wilson need to stay.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
I would go as far to say as the week off threw him off his rhythm.

Weber, Andrei and Wilson need to stay.
Yeah, this year I've noticed that it seemed like we'd always lose if we had a break longer then three days.

Closed Thread