HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The dynamic of Fighting in the Playoffs

Old
05-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
The dynamic of Fighting in the Playoffs

I know it's preferred not to take the chance of playing short handed in the playoffs but a big part of the Rangers regular season was their willingness to drop the gloves and keep other teams in line.

I generally like that style of play as I feel it helps the Rangers control the game, and for a team that might have trouble potting goals controlling the game is even more important. Shift by shift.

Is the Rangers toughness somewhat diminished by not fighting more in the playoffs.

Taking the less fighting approach, does it nullify part of this teams winning character?

05-07-2012, 02:29 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
No. And when fighting has been called for or appropriate in the playoffs, the Rangers have answered that bell (Boyle V. Neil...Prust V. Neil after Rupp challenged him earlier.)

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:29 PM
RangerFan10

They don't look intimidated, otherwise I'd say yes. They look sloppy sometimes, and tired sometimes,too.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:34 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
They don't look intimidated, otherwise I'd say yes. They look sloppy sometimes, and tired sometimes,too.
Did you see what happened after the Prust/Neil fight the team was.........ENERGIZED.

Yes. The Rangers should drop gloves more often, the approach worked well in the RS.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:39 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
Did you see what happened after the Prust/Neil fight the team was.........ENERGIZED.

Yes. The Rangers should drop gloves more often, the approach worked well in the RS.
There's no reason for anyone on either side in this series to drop the gloves. If the Rangers go looking for a partner all they're going to find is a misconduct.

If the Rangers weren't energized before that fight in an elimination game, we have much bigger issues at hand that fighting will not solve.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
There's no reason for anyone on either side in this series to drop the gloves. If the Rangers go looking for a partner all they're going to find is a misconduct.

If the Rangers weren't energized before that fight in an elimination game, we have much bigger issues at hand that fighting will not solve.
Never said goon it up.

Big Difference.

There are plenty of reasons to drop gloves, energizing your teammates is one of them.

Quote:
we have much bigger issues at hand that fighting will not solve.[/
Nice try, trying to diminish the fight that Prust and Neil had last series. Looked to me and plenty of others that after the fight happened the weight came off the ENTIRE team.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Yea not saying goon it up. But fighting has been part of this teams success this season. I think it can rev guys up to another level of focus

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

The Prust / Neil fight had a positive impact because you had a villian, ie, Neil.

You don't have the same sort of villian / hatred in this series. Brouwer, Chimera, Laich and Hendricks are playing solid clean hockey. Those are pretty much the only guys who fight on Washington.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:09 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
You don't have the same sort of villian / hatred in this series. Brouwer, Chimera, Laich and Hendricks are playing solid clean hockey. Those are pretty much the only guys who fight on Washington.
I would also add they could just be harder on the caps all around. More physical. More intimidating. Especially the skilled guys like Semin Backstrom Green and AO. Those guys hate being hit and AO and Semin are prone to stupid retaliatory penalties when they get repeatedly hammered. Get in their face... and when one of their babysitters shows up then beat that guy down.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
DutchShamrock

I think the lack of fighting may be hurting NYR. We don't look intimidated but neither do the ogher teams. We seem to be getting hit a lot, hard and late at that. In my opnion, its shifting some momentum away and disrupting the Rangers' style a bit.

There's no real answer fighting-wise. I just like seeing us dominate the hitting game, from a strategy POV at the very least. Fighting may have set the table in the regular season for the intimidation factor. Seems like we lost that advantage.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:21 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
I would also add they could just be harder on the caps all around. More physical. More intimidating. Especially the skilled guys like Semin Backstrom Green and AO. Those guys hate being hit and AO and Semin are prone to stupid retaliatory penalties when they get repeatedly hammered. Get in their face... and when one of their babysitters shows up then beat that guy down.
They have been levelling Green at every opportunity. Semin has been off his game, too.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:22 PM
DutchShamrock

Johanson took a run at Boyle, you can't tell me the lack of fighting isn't encouraging to a player his size.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
They have been levelling Green at every opportunity. Semin has been off his game, too.
Not game 4 and it showed in Greene's game.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:39 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Fighting has basically disappeared in round 2. Wouldn't be surprised to see it make a comeback in a NJD-NYR ECF series

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:02 PM
DutchShamrock

NJ is too disciplined and they won't fight Rupp. Maybe Prust but Clarkson will only fight the likes of Dubinsky or under.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:29 PM
XLJ

The staged fights are basically gone during the postseason. Most of the fights during the playoffs are heat of the moment type of situations.

Neil didn't even want to fight Prust at first. It took Prust hitting Karlsson after the whistle for Neil to fight him. Teams dont want to risk giving the other team momentum.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote