HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How big are the Rangers in NY?

Old
05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
HookeyPlayer

vCash: 500
How big are the Rangers in NY?

Hi all, just wondering how popular the Rangers have become in NY? Are they talked about a lot in the local media, on the street? How does it compare to other NY teams on their title runs? Do you think this is here to stay? Thanks.

HookeyPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1950
1. Yankees
2. Giants
3/4. Jets/Mets (whoever is better)
5. Knicks
6. Rangers
7. Devils
8. Nets
9. Islanders
10. Wtf is a Red Bull?

Rangers usually get no media attention. People only talk about us when we are in the playoffs, and still not as much as the Knicks or any other team when they are in the playoffs. You definitely see more Ranger apparel than the Knicks though, AINEC.

05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
who?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:03 PM
SnowblindNYR

Lately they've been getting media attention. They got the back page after every win so far, last time I remember them getting the pack pages was 07. I've heard people talk about them more recently too.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Lately they've been getting media attention. They got the back page after every win so far, last time I remember them getting the pack pages was 07. I've heard people talk about them more recently too.
They got the back page after the 2OT loss to Washington last year.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:05 PM
JayQueensNY88*

football,basketball and baseball are above it and soccer is under it..Hope that answers your question.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Hopefully a deep run can catapult the Rangers over the undeservingly popular Knicks. But yeah right now they're under the Yankees, Giants, Jets, Mets, and Knicks.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
1. Yankees
2. Giants
5. Knicks
6. Rangers
7. Devils
8. Nets
9. Islanders
10. Wtf is a Red Bull?

Rangers usually get no media attention. People only talk about us when we are in the playoffs, and still not as much as the Knicks or any other team when they are in the playoffs. You definitely see more Ranger apparel than the Knicks though, AINEC.
I think while the Knicks were in their drought (before acquiring Stoudemire) the Rangers were in front of the Knicks. With Stoudemire resurrecting the Knicks with a near MVP performance his first year on the team, and Anthony coming over late last year... The Knicks took the reigns and went far in front of the Rangers.

Heck, when the Knicks are rolling as a playoff team, I'd probably put them in front of the Mets too.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Giants
Yankees
Jets
Mets
Knicks
Rangers
Nets
Islanders
Red Bulls
Devils
Liberty
Cyclones

Local t.v. news, about as much as any other team not named the Giants or Yankees.

There's a constant presence in print media, although it takes monumental moments to get the "back-page" of the local rags.

Sports talk radio doesn't feature the NYR prominently at all… but there are a few huge Rangers fans among them (Boomer, Sommers), so I would assume that's intentional in their programming philosophies.

Online presence locally? Close to 100 active blogs, close to 700,000 people subscribed to the Rangers facebook feed, another 140,000 or so subscribed to their twitter feed, online radio talk shows. Forum communities across at least 6 different sites, with HFboards NYR section ranking in the lower third as far as size is concerend (for a measure of community size).

More than a few dedicated NYR bars in Manhattan, many more in Brooklyn, a few that I can think of in NJ.

Most NY sports fans I know are either regular Rangers fans, or their at least guys that check in on games regularly, and catch a few per month.

I know the numbers don't support this, and maybe it's exclusive to my circles (which btw is not even close to a sports fan circle), but I hear a lot more NYR talk than NYK or NYM talk.

DO I think the Rangers are here to stay? They've been here what, 90 years? the world's largest sports, t.v., entertainment, market. They have huge amounts of followers in territory that should be directly ceded by rivals. Where would they go?

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
1. Yankees
2. Giants
5. Knicks
6. Rangers
7. Devils
8. Nets
9. Islanders
10. Wtf is a Red Bull?

And the Nets will overcome the Rangers in popularity as soon as they move to Brooklyn.

People hoping that having a good playoff run will move the Rangers above the Knicks have no idea what they are talking about. People who've loved basketball all their lives and others who dont care about sports very much, are not going to become hockey fans just because the Rangers won a couple rounds.

The Rangers would need to do something like what the Yankees have done to even be on the same playing field with the Knicks: they would have to be contenders for 15-20 years in a row, winning 4-5 Cups in the process.

Growing a fan base is a slow process, and having the worst team in professional sports over the last 17 years (Islanders) plus one of the worst over a 10 year period 1997-2006) did not help matters. Two lockouts also hurt.

There were more fans before the first lockout than there are now.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:35 PM
rkhum

Get out of here...Rangers deep playoff run can overtake the Knicks (as we did until last season) and Nets are not going to touch Rangers.

Oh and here is a thread I made last week on this subject, feel free to comment http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...683&highlight=

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Slingshot, you think the Red Bulls are more popular than the Devils? And you might as well put the SI Yankees there if you have the Cyclones.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:40 PM
ohbaby

Knicks still get way more attention in the papers, TV, and radio, even when on the brink. Probably after being eliminated too.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Stepan2Gaborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Giants
Yankees
Jets
Mets
Knicks
Rangers
Nets
Islanders
Red Bulls
Devils
Liberty
Cyclones

Local t.v. news, about as much as any other team not named the Giants or Yankees.

There's a constant presence in print media, although it takes monumental moments to get the "back-page" of the local rags.

Sports talk radio doesn't feature the NYR prominently at all… but there are a few huge Rangers fans among them (Boomer, Sommers), so I would assume that's intentional in their programming philosophies.

Online presence locally? Close to 100 active blogs, close to 700,000 people subscribed to the Rangers facebook feed, another 140,000 or so subscribed to their twitter feed, online radio talk shows. Forum communities across at least 6 different sites, with HFboards NYR section ranking in the lower third as far as size is concerend (for a measure of community size).

More than a few dedicated NYR bars in Manhattan, many more in Brooklyn, a few that I can think of in NJ.

Most NY sports fans I know are either regular Rangers fans, or their at least guys that check in on games regularly, and catch a few per month.

I know the numbers don't support this, and maybe it's exclusive to my circles (which btw is not even close to a sports fan circle), but I hear a lot more NYR talk than NYK or NYM talk.

DO I think the Rangers are here to stay? They've been here what, 90 years? the world's largest sports, t.v., entertainment, market. They have huge amounts of followers in territory that should be directly ceded by rivals. Where would they go?
Which bars in NJ?

Stepan2Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
tjs252

Only caveat I'd add is when the Knicks are good (and they haven't been in a really long time) they'd trail only the Yankees and Giants in terms of coverage.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:09 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

just below the MUTS right above the Liberty.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Two Tone Malone
Let Blaine Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
And the Nets will overcome the Rangers in popularity as soon as they move to Brooklyn.
Yea okay.

Two Tone Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:23 PM
bigbluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Only caveat I'd add is when the Knicks are good (and they haven't been in a really long time) they'd trail only the Yankees and Giants in terms of coverage.
Very true. This town is so ravenous for a successful Knicks team it's not even funny. Trust me, once they start playing well again (probably next year), we've got NO shot of catching up.

But tis the life of a hockey fan in NY lol.

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Baby Punisher

The Rangers could win a Stanley cup & you would hear the collective groans from all the sports talk show host's in the area that will be annoyed they have to talk about Hockey for a day or 2. Than hockey would be on the back burner to the horrible Yankees & MET teams this year.

Mariano Riveria's knee will get more indepth coverage the NYR.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Lundqvist 30 NY

1. Knicks
2. Yankees
3. Giants
4. Jets
5. Mets
6. Rangers
7. Devils
8. Islanders
9. Nets
10. Red Bulls

Lundqvist 30 NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist 30 NY View Post
1. Knicks
2. Yankees
3. Giants
4. Jets
5. Mets
6. Rangers
7. Devils
8. Islanders
9. Nets
10. Red Bulls
There is no way the Knicks are more popular than the Yankees in the NY metro area.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Rangers have been abuzz lately in almost all of NY media, and I don't remember this much in previous years -- even the nontraditional media and commentators like Mike Francesa is tawking ahbowt em.

The Rangers are pretty much as big as the Knicks in the New York suburbs (especially Long Island). Some of the wealthier suburbs I'd probably put hockey over basketball honestly. But it works the other way too -- inner city and in the poorer suburbs of NY hockey is not too popular.

The average Rangers fan knows a lot more about the Rangers than the average Knicks fan knows about the Knicks. You can usually have a long conversation with a Rangers fan and talk about all the little technicalities and details of the team AND other NHL teams while most Knicks fans are pretty unsophisticated in comparison.

The Yankees dominate this city though, you can't walk 5 feet without seeing Yankees attire anywhere.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:27 PM
tjs252

Honestly, as an "old timer" my take is:

(1) Yankees

(2) Giants
(3) Knicks (though this will flip if one is good and one is bad)

(4) Mets
(5) Jets

(6) Rangers

(spaces added for emphasis as to the "gap" between the teams). And obviously, the closer any of those teams get to a title, the more coverage they'll get.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:34 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
The Rangers could win a Stanley cup & you would hear the collective groans from all the sports talk show host's in the area that will be annoyed they have to talk about Hockey for a day or 2. Than hockey would be on the back burner to the horrible Yankees & MET teams this year.

Mariano Riveria's knee will get more indepth coverage the NYR.
This is so true, so sad, and so aggravating at the same time.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:46 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Slingshot, you think the Red Bulls are more popular than the Devils? And you might as well put the SI Yankees there if you have the Cyclones.
The metrostars / red bulls are far more popular than the Devils.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote