HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC vs NBC Feed

Old
05-08-2012, 09:35 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 500
yes, Kenny Albert works for NBC & MSG, Joe Micheletti works for NBC & MSG, Keenan works for NBC, MSG, etc.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:40 AM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
He can work for two networks, can't he? Kenny Albert works for Fox and MSG, for example.
Depends on his contract. In general, commentators can certainly work for different networks, and as you pointed out many do.

Thorne's contract with ESPN may prohibit him from doing so though. Depends if there's a non-compete clause. Generally speaking, ESPN's contracts are pretty rigid. They don't like their talent working for anyone else.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
rangers5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
I was in Montreal for Game 1, so caught the CBC feed for that. My thoughts...

- In terms of pure play by play, Hughson is just so much better than Emrick. I like Doc for non-Ranger games because he can make any game entertaining. His style is a bit over-the-top and obnoxious at times though. Literally gives me heart attacks when he does Ranger games. Hughson, on the other hand, is just your classic play by play guy. Rarely makes mistakes. Knows the game. Steady. Solid.

- CBC's hockey analysis is just ten times deeper than NBC's. After watching CBC break down a game, going back and watching NBC makes me feel like I'm watching "hockey for dummies".

- Don Cherry is entertaining during intermissions.

- NBC probably gets the edge in production value (sound, graphics, etc). You can tell they put more money into their production. Their only real advantage, in my opinion.

Give me CBC any day of the week.
agree with everything spot on, i think hughson usually does later vancouver games so i don't listen to him much, way better than bob cole, the way he calls the game without any bias, solid

cole is just to old to keep up with the games anymore, he made so many mistakes calling round 1, getting players names wrong, not being able to keep up with the play
doc seems to have the same vocabulary, little over dramatic every play

besides maybe production value nbc feels dumbed down, you said it best, cbc is just more deeper and talk to you like you know hockey, nbc caters to more casual "dumbed down" fans

plus cherry is entertaining, dont agree with him, and he can be almost to biased with canadian players but i take him over milbury

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:14 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I watch NBC and listen to 98.7 ESPN Radio. Listening to Kenny & Dave is 100 times better than NBC. I also enjoyed Kenny's call of the big goals last night. Real excitement unlike Emrick.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:24 AM
mug25

Quote:
I was in Montreal for Game 1, so caught the CBC feed for that. My thoughts...

- In terms of pure play by play, Hughson is just so much better than Emrick. I like Doc for non-Ranger games because he can make any game entertaining. His style is a bit over-the-top and obnoxious at times though. Literally gives me heart attacks when he does Ranger games. Hughson, on the other hand, is just your classic play by play guy. Rarely makes mistakes. Knows the game. Steady. Solid.

- CBC's hockey analysis is just ten times deeper than NBC's. After watching CBC break down a game, going back and watching NBC makes me feel like I'm watching "hockey for dummies".

- Don Cherry is entertaining during intermissions.

- NBC probably gets the edge in production value (sound, graphics, etc). You can tell they put more money into their production. Their only real advantage, in my opinion.

Give me CBC any day of the week.
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I cant stand Cherry but on the other hand, I really dislike just about anyone NBC throws on the broadcast team.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
agree with everything spot on, i think hughson usually does later vancouver games so i don't listen to him much, way better than bob cole, the way he calls the game without any bias, solid
Hughson for the last two years was moved to from the late Hockey Night in Canada game to the early one, which usually involves the Leafs. This is by far the spotlight play by play gig in all of hockey, similar to what Monday Night Football used to be here.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

That's like comparing cowshiat to horseshiat and asking which one smells better.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:34 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I like the NBC team a lot better than many folks here, but there's not really a question about which broadcast is better. CBC is able to do much more in-depth analysis because of their primarily Canadian audience, whereas it's pretty clear NBC is still trying to familiarize new American viewers with the game.

For hockey newbies, I'm sure NBC would be better, but for people who watch hockey constantly and know the game reasonably well, CBC is obviously superior.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
The Beezer

Did anyone else notice Emrick call Krieder's name about 3-4 times last night when he wasn't even on the ice?

The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:43 AM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beezer View Post
Did anyone else notice Emrick call Krieder's name about 3-4 times last night when he wasn't even on the ice?
Any player with a number in the 20s he calls Kreider. Stepan, Feds, whoever.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Any player with a number in the 20s he calls Kreider. Stepan, Feds, whoever.
It was Gaborik though and happened at least 3-4 times.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

not the biggest fan of Doc's..but lacking excitement? when he screams SCCOOOORRREEESSS it's always exciting.

I think he's just fine.

I really dont have a problem with the NBC or CBC feeds to be totally honest.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
It was Gaborik though and happened at least 3-4 times.
yeah...he often calls kreider gaborik and gaborik kreider. not sure why. maybe he just cant see the numbers all that well from up high?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
yeah...he often calls kreider gaborik and gaborik kreider. not sure why. maybe he just cant see the numbers all that well from up high?
He is very smart as to the background and history of players. Since he does have a good attention to detail, I am assuming it is his eyesight. He does wear very conspicuous glasses, so that would be my guess.

Edit: He didn't sound excited during the tying goal by Richards. I was surprised by that, but in general he calls goals fine.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:53 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
where can you get a CBC feed, by the way

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:01 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
As far as watching it live? You're only going to get it in Canada and places bordering Canada in the States

Old
05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
As far as watching it live? You're only going to get it in Canada and places bordering Canada in the States
I know you can get DirecTV if you bring a dish & receiver into Canada, so the reverse is probably true too. You would need to lock in your mini dish to the canadian satellite but probably need a decryption card

Old
05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
rangers5000

Quote:
I know you can get DirecTV if you bring a dish & receiver into Canada, so the reverse is probably true too. You would need to lock in your mini dish to the canadian satellite but probably need a decryption card
isn't directv illegal in canada, im sure you cannot get american sat legally in canada, you use to years ago but i think the canadian broadcast group outlawed it awhile ago

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
isn't directv illegal in canada, im sure you cannot get american sat legally in canada, you use to years ago but i think the canadian broadcast group outlawed it awhile ago
That doesn't stop anyone from getting it anyways. There's a whole underground market about people in the US signing up for DirecTV and then selling/renting the receiver to someone in Canada at a big markup. They just wipe off or hide the logo on the dish and put on expressvu or something. The signal gets into to Canada no problem

Old
05-08-2012, 01:58 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Well yes, in theory you could subscribe to one of the Canadian satellite services and receive CBC/TSN/etc, as long as you are within the footprint (all of New York and most of the Northern US are inside the footprint on all providers), obviously legality is a gray area.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
You won't get it for this series, or the rest of the playoffs for that matter, because NBC has exclusive rights.

During the regular season if you subscribe to NHL Center Ice on DirecTV you get the CBC Hockey Night in Canada telecasts every Saturday night, and the occasional afternoon game too.

NBC also picked up a few CBC telecasts in the first round of this year's playoffs.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:52 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Don't need Center Ice to get HNIC on Saturdays, NHL Network shows it.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
Don't need Center Ice to get HNIC on Saturdays, NHL Network shows it.
NHL Network used to show two games (7PM and 10PM) every Saturday night up until two years ago. Now they show one game at 7PM, and it is usually (but not always) a Hockey Night in Canada telecast. NHL on the Fly starts at 10PM and NHL Network no longer shows the second game of the doubleheader.

CBC usually produces more than one game at 7PM, which they regionalize in Canada. In the US, if you have Center Ice through DirecTV, you will usually see more than one CBC feed at 7PM and always the 10PM game.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:08 PM
ogie

the question is which Feed will give me the least exposure to Doc Emrick and Pierre McGuire?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
the question is which Feed will give me the least exposure to Doc Emrick and Pierre McGuire?
The CBC feed. There you get exposed to Don Cherry.