HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

coaching change?

Old
05-07-2012, 10:15 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I know they arent good, or they are to old. What types of moves can be made? I dont see Suter coming here, and nobody in their right mind is going to trade away a franchise caliber defenseman that is young. I will be happy once Carle is gone, and then go from there. Im assuming that Pronger is done and Kimmo might retire too. So that leaves us with Mez, Coburn, and Grossman. Where do they go after this, because they need to get better defensemen.
See, I do think it's possible. Contrary to the trade board's belief, I do think there is a chance JVR could be traded this offseason for a young defensman around his age. It's not like something like that didnt happen in the past. I think his value is higher than Turris who returned a 15th ish overall defenseman who will be pretty good and a 2nd. I think there are teams out there willing to upgrade at forward.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:29 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I was hoping they would have done a coaching change before the season but they instead got rid of the players that didn't buy into what Lavy was preaching. Lavy has one strategy and that is it. After so many seasons with him the players tone him out because there is only so much you can take as a player from a coach before you tone him out. The constant yelling has to get under the players skin especially when they see that the coach does not adjust the way they play when the other team clearly has a better strategy. Another thing is is that Richards only has ever had good things to say about the system in L.A. because he knows a defensive system is what matters most in the playoffs, not an offensive system that puts up a lot of points in the standings in the regular season. The main thing is though is when he faces a good defensive team that actually puts together a strategy against him he does not adjust one bit. Its Lavys way or the highway

There are good coaches out there available and that is on Homer to find one.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
See, I do think it's possible. Contrary to the trade board's belief, I do think there is a chance JVR could be traded this offseason for a young defensman around his age. It's not like something like that didnt happen in the past. I think his value is higher than Turris who returned a 15th ish overall defenseman who will be pretty good and a 2nd. I think there are teams out there willing to upgrade at forward.
I could see JVR getting traded but I think that would be a huge mistake. He is built for playoff hockey, even though he hasn't done much this playoffs. You just watch him play and he has the drive to take the puck to the net every time he touches it in the playoffs and that is what you need.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Danglous

No way. Lavy finally has his own team. I would say give them another year at least. Dont change any of the forwards, but address the defensive issues. Give Bryz an offseason to get his **** together and see if he can find a groove. Give Lavy some time to figure things out and we will get better. This team is very young and can only get better with age. I'm actually very optimistic for the next few years with these guys regardless of how we perform this post season.

Can any of us honestly say the Flyers havent met expectations this year? I expected them to MAYBE make the playoffs and they did that. They knocked out Pittsburgh, and they arent done yet. They arent called the comeback kids for no reason. Overall though I'm happy with what Ive seen this season and eager to see what the future holds for these young guys.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:47 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
No way. Lavy finally has his own team. I would say give them another year at least. Dont change any of the forwards, but address the defensive issues. Give Bryz an offseason to get his **** together and see if he can find a groove. Give Lavy some time to figure things out and we will get better. This team is very young and can only get better with age. I'm actually very optimistic for the next few years with these guys regardless of how we perform this post season.

Can any of us honestly say the Flyers havent met expectations this year? I expected them to MAYBE make the playoffs and they did that. They knocked out Pittsburgh, and they arent done yet. They arent called the comeback kids for no reason. Overall though I'm happy with what Ive seen this season and eager to see what the future holds for these young guys.
I agree with you- it's too soon for the coaching change. Replacing him now would be a bad move for the organization since they sacrificed 2 major players for him. But it is not too soon to sit him down and discuss his rigidity to make adjustments in the playoffs. It his job to recognize tactical issues, personnel deficits and make certain adjustments.

I agree that the team outperformed the minimal goals this season, and the fact that they might loose this series does not bother me as much. However, what infuriates me is the way they are loosing this series, and that Lavi is unable to find any single countermeasure or affect the forwards to play consistent D.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:51 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
It's 3 pages into a 'coaching change' thread and not one potential nominee discussed as a replacement.

So, is this complaining just to complain, or does someone have a solution? We already know that the team has exceeded expectations this season, so maybe that's why no one really cares to start throwing names, because they know the coach shouldn't be replaced. Especially when after trading away our two best puck-possession centers, we're getting run off the track by a team who we can't get the puck from.

With that said, we're definitely in the 2nd half of his tenure. Success or not, I'd be surprised if some time during the 2014 calendar year we didin't have a new coach.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:50 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It's 3 pages into a 'coaching change' thread and not one potential nominee discussed as a replacement.

So, is this complaining just to complain, or does someone have a solution? We already know that the team has exceeded expectations this season, so maybe that's why no one really cares to start throwing names, because they know the coach shouldn't be replaced. Especially when after trading away our two best puck-possession centers, we're getting run off the track by a team who we can't get the puck from.
Bob Boughner

Claude Noel

Tom Renney

Gerard Gallant

Last edited by JXC: 05-08-2012 at 09:55 AM.
JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:43 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I could see JVR getting traded but I think that would be a huge mistake. He is built for playoff hockey, even though he hasn't done much this playoffs. You just watch him play and he has the drive to take the puck to the net every time he touches it in the playoffs and that is what you need.
Here the thing though. We REALLY need to start looking at making our defense a little younger. Timonen is going to retire in a year or so. Carle most likely is leaving. Kubina and Lilja are slow as molasses and on their last legs while Pronger might not play in the NHL ever again. We need to find ourselves a defender that has similar value to JVR. We need to rebuild this defense, and honestly I think having a defender who can be a building block on defense is more valuable than another forward.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:52 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm for leveraging JVR for another defensive anchor who is young and experienced enough...makes the most sense.

Also I really do believe Carle is going to be going to Detroit.....they will tender him an offersheet and it probably won't be anything we want to match.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:55 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I'm for leveraging JVR for another defensive anchor who is young and experienced enough...makes the most sense.

Also I really do believe Carle is going to be going to Detroit.....they will tender him an offersheet and it probably won't be anything we want to match.
Carle is a UFA, not a RFA. We have no right to match any UFA offer

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Carle is a UFA, not a RFA. We have no right to match any UFA offer
I'm not talking in a technical sense contractually (UFA vs RFA)...I just think Detroit is going to pay him and we'll part ways like Leino

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-08-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: clarification
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
eager to see what the future holds for these young guys.
Not sure why one would look forward to seeing how Lavi will develop the young players to be competent defensively when his work with Giroux and JVR on that front has been ultrafail.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:22 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
far far easier said than done. To get the NHL ready/now guys we would have to overpay hard (really hard) I think...

To trade him for a top prospect alone...scary...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Here the thing though. We REALLY need to start looking at making our defense a little younger. Timonen is going to retire in a year or so. Carle most likely is leaving. Kubina and Lilja are slow as molasses and on their last legs while Pronger might not play in the NHL ever again. We need to find ourselves a defender that has similar value to JVR. We need to rebuild this defense, and honestly I think having a defender who can be a building block on defense is more valuable than another forward.
Ding ding ding. SPOT ****ING ON.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
bauer

this thread is ridiculous. give Lavy a chance to work with a healthy defense at least.

no Pronger.
no Mez.
an injured Timonen.
an injured Grossmann.
plus a horrible Carle and Lilja.

i want to see what this team can do with a strong, healthy top 6. they were close to that in 2010 and made the cup final. it's not Lavy's fault we're missing two top 4 defensemen right now.

sign Suter if we can in the offseason and trade one of the younger guys (maybe JVR) for another young Dman, and then we'll see how things go.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Bob Boughner

Claude Noel

Tom Renney

Gerard Gallant

These are all terrible choices.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
If you think Lavy is the problem (or even A PROBLEM), you haven't been watching this series. He is working with a riddled team who is playing horrible defense. It is not the coaches fault that they had 20 turnovers in the last game (and still only lost by 1). They are in a funk/injured/out of gas. The defense is depleted. Players are hurt. The Devils are firing on all cylinders. Not exactly a great combination. But yeah, Lavy needs to go.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Tom Renney is John Stevens. good assistant. terrible head coach.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If you think Lavy is the problem (or even A PROBLEM), you haven't been watching this series. He is working with a riddled team who is playing horrible defense. It is not the coaches fault that they had 20 turnovers in the last game (and still only lost by 1). They are in a funk/injured/out of gas. The defense is depleted. Players are hurt. The Devils are firing on all cylinders. Not exactly a great combination. But yeah, Lavy needs to go.
Pretty much this. I recall loads of NYR fans calling for Torts head last year; good thing Sather didn't agree, I'd say.

05-08-2012, 01:28 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
These are all terrible choices.
That's what would likely have been said about the guy up in New Jersey who is currently schooling Lavi on how to coach an ice hockey team.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:31 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
It is not the coaches fault that they had 20 turnovers in the last game
Well of course it's the coach's fault. They had two days to prepare for Game 4 and they looked just as inept as they did in Game 3.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
That's what would likely have been said about the guy up in New Jersey who is currently schooling Lavi on how to coach an ice hockey team.
No, I recall a lot of people here being concerned about his hiring.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:33 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
No, I recall a lot of people here being concerned about his hiring.
I doubt it.

But the results are plain.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
I doubt it.

No, there were a lot of people who knew of DeBoer who were pretty unhappy to have him in the division. It happened, whether you doubt it or not.

The only result I think is plain: a team that had a grueling first round battle that is absolutely riddled with injuries is struggling. Unless you think coaches should have magical healing abilities, not much Lavi can do.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I doubt it.

So, say the Flyers turn it around and make it to the next round and then the Stanley Cup finals. Results would be plain that he's a good coach right?