HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Habs future pick

Old
05-08-2012, 11:43 AM
TMLFC
Registered abuser

vCash: 50
Have to imagine Roy will have a lot to do with this pick. IMO he is the next coach, and would know a little bit more about Grigorenko than the regular scout.

Montreal has a lot of options.
Galchenyuk and Forsberg will top the list also.

TMLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Kingbobert

vCash: 500
you i know montreals need is upfront
but if murray is available, it would be hard to say no

Murray, Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gorges, Emelin/Diaz and all backed up by Carey Price?

Thats going to be a D core that will pay dividends for years.

Even if you dont keep them, you can trade tinordi or beaulieu for something but murray is better than both

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
HanSolo
#CheerForKesler

vCash: 68
I think Grigorenko wouldn't be too bad for Montreal. I mean if this effort thing is true...he was still on pace for 103 points in his first North American stint. I'd imagine if he did that without even trying very hard...either that doesn't say much about the QMJHL and its prospects, or Grigorenko can be even better if inspired. Especially if Roy is the coach (which is total speculation ^ dude).

I mean just cause effort questions ticked some fans off that doesn't mean Montreal is just going to pass on a clearly talented individual. I mean. Go right ahead...let him pass to Anaheim for all I care. But there are reasons to be cautious of the other options. Gally because of the injury and for all we REALLY know, half his rookie numbers could've been a result of Yakupov's skill (we know it wasn't Gally that gave Nail 103 points, he showed that this year), Forsberg could take quite a while to arrive in the NHL and it's possible that he misses his upside, Teravainen...personally I'd never trust a top 3 selection to go to a guy that started the season in the middle of the pack...especially a European...is it possible/likely that this surge from Teuvo is just an anomaly? yes/no...but just like Forsberg...and using a Finnish Ducks prospect as an example Vatanen, his ETA could take quite a while.

Either way you go, there's cause for concern no matter who you pick. If I had to draft for the Habs, it would be between Grig and Gally and I think I'd go with Grigorenko in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
you i know montreals need is upfront
but if murray is available, it would be hard to say no

Murray, Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gorges, Emelin/Diaz and all backed up by Carey Price?

Thats going to be a D core that will pay dividends for years.

Even if you dont keep them, you can trade tinordi or beaulieu for something but murray is better than both
That's a very good point. I just didn't make it because I didn't want to be fed the typical "we need a center, no way we draft a defenseman".

Defense wins championships and Murray is clearly the best and safest guy available. I mean let's be real...just how screwed are the Habs offensively? You have Pacioretty, Plekanec, Desharnais, Cole, and Eller. Plus Gahllager, Kristo, and Leblanc coming up.

You guys wouldn't be poorly off drafting Murray and then in the second round nabbing Pearson, Kerdiles, Samuelsson, Zharkov and maybe Zach Stepan or Seth Griffith in the third.

HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Jesus Christ Horburn

Grigorenko would be the best pick, IMO.

Jesus Christ Horburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Anthony Eclair
Anthony Eclair

Honestly, I feel like IF they don't pick Grigs, they should deffinately consider Filip Forsberg I wouldn't be surprised if they did that.
But with the fact that they're deffinately getting rid of gomez, possibly trading Pleks, may drop Cole, Grigorenko has to be they're guy.
If Columbus decides to pick him, I wouldn't be surprised if I see Forsberg picked or even Galchenyuk.

Anthony Eclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Have to imagine Roy will have a lot to do with this pick. IMO he is the next coach, and would know a little bit more about Grigorenko than the regular scout.
Everyone outside of Habsland just assumes this would mean he'd push hardcore for Grigorenko...but he also could advise the scouting staff to not draft him as he knows his flaws better than anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhenrikthegr819 View Post
may drop Cole,
What...? Do you realize Erik Cole scored 35 goals this year and was fantastic? He also has a NTC.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Anthony Eclair
Anthony Eclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Everyone outside of Habsland just assumes this would mean he'd push hardcore for Grigorenko...but he also could advise the scouting staff to not draft him as he knows his flaws better than anyone.

What...? Do you realize Erik Cole scored 35 goals this year and was fantastic? He also has a NTC.
No I like Cole but I mean, are they going to get rid of him for someone better to fill in cap space? I feel like even though Cole is a good leader, he's just not enough for the Canadiens status.

Anthony Eclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
sharks9

Quote:
No I like Cole but I mean, are they going to get rid of him for someone better to fill in cap space? I feel like even though Cole is a good leader, he's just not enough for the Canadiens status.
You have to be kidding. First of all, there are about 10 other guys on the team I'd drop to free up cap space before Cole.

Second, without Cole this year we would've been competing with Columbus for last.

Third, he's worth more to the Canadiens than he is to any other team so I doubt we'd get a great return for him. Cole should stay, end of story.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:14 PM
montreal
Global Moderator
Go Habs Go

Quote:
the impact Cole has had on Pacioretty alone there's no way they are getting rid of him, beside the fact that he was one of the few players on the team that didn't struggle this year.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Kingbobert

Quote:
This might have been Coles first year as a hab and late in his career but i'm pretty sure most habs fans will agree but he has pretty much become a through and through HAB.

He was the only one that gave his 100% all season long
he had a career year after signing a new contract and in a year where the habs finished last.

I have a feeling that if he wants to he could probably retire a hab.

There was just something about Cole this year that said "im finally home"
He's not going anywhere. In a team that lacked heart, passion and identity, Cole had it all in spades.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Almember

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Murray
Gally
Forsberg
Terevainen

Those would be my picks in that order. I used to want Gally but now I am hoping the Habs build a super star defence core...
I like that

In case of Murray & Yakupov are two locks for the first and second overall pick

Do you take Gally over Forsberg? I think that's the question the Habs scouting staff have to make

Who's projected to have a impact on our team and in the league

Gally could be a first line center 80pt+ or he could be a second line center 60pt+

Forsberg could be a first line sniper with 30 goals + or a second line sniper with 20 goals + and 50 pt

With the information we have, can you compare Forsberg to a James Neal style and Galchenyuk to a Kopitar style? ... or some player even close to projected his talent

Almember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Adam Spylo

Galchenyuk or Forsberg. I can't decide between those 2. Maybe they can trade for a second pick to draft both.

Adam Spylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Harry Kakalovich

Can't wait to find out.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLprophet View Post
I'd take, in that order :

-Galchenyuk
-Forsberg
-Grigorenko
That would basically be my order as well, assuming Yakupov is out of the picture.

So basically its likely to come down to Galchenyuk or Forsberg.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Huh?

Cole is here to stay...he proved to be an excellent leader last season and still very productive. Habs need to add 1-2 wingers to round out the 2nd line, but the Pacioretty/Desharnais/Cole line should remain exactly in tact.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Hugo Sham

sorry leaf fans habs are going to draft galchenyuk or forsberg - or the outside chance yakupov falls to them. it won't be grigorenko

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:57 PM
HanSolo
#CheerForKesler

vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
sorry leaf fans habs are going to draft galchenyuk or forsberg - or the outside chance yakupov falls to them. it won't be grigorenko
Forget outside chance...it ain't happening. If Tambo is stupid enough to pass on him...well...Howson may be an idiot...but he's not THAT stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almember View Post
I like that

In case of Murray & Yakupov are two locks for the first and second overall pick

Do you take Gally over Forsberg? I think that's the question the Habs scouting staff have to make

Who's projected to have a impact on our team and in the league

Gally could be a first line center 80pt+ or he could be a second line center 60pt+

Forsberg could be a first line sniper with 30 goals + or a second line sniper with 20 goals + and 50 pt

With the information we have, can you compare Forsberg to a James Neal style and Galchenyuk to a Kopitar style? ... or some player even close to projected his talent
To answer the previous question, I absolutely take Gally over Forsberg.

As for the bold, they have the potential to be even better. Gally more than FF. I think Gally's game is a little closer to a Ryan Kesler type...from the year before...not this season. Forsberg has the tool box to be a Corey Perry type...it's going to come down to how he refines his game. It's also very likely they just become second tier talents. Like just bordering on star, but not quite there.

HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Oh please Grigorenko, fall to the leafs. Because you played through mono people now think you are lazy and have a bad work ethic.

I would do a backflip.
Grigorenko has the stats but like Patrick Roy says; Grigorenko needs another year or two to mature. He needs to learn what it takes to win. Roy would know...3 time Conn Smyth....Quebec's head coach

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Sundinisagod
christmas in june

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Montreal loves small euro forwards.

Queue Galchenyuk
Lemme guess...pro scout for a living?

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:05 PM
TMLFC
Registered abuser

vCash: 50
Quote:
You are right on the money with that one.

He would be the best person to have around when deciding who to pick at 3.

This draft may actually be interesting to watch.
However i can see it going 1.Yak 2. Forsberg 3.Grig 4.Murray 5.Galch

TMLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Stone Cutter

My guess is that the final decision will be based on the combines results. I would think that habs management would take a very long and hard look a Gal knee to see how good (or bad) it is.

The new GM would also come in with its own philosophy here. In the introduction press conference, he mentioned how important a good G was to an organisation. Safe to say, that this is set in MTL, but one would think that he would also value having a great #1C seeing how Toews impacted the Hawks overall performances. Bergevin also said during that presser that the team concept was really important to him so you got to think that he would be looking for players that would fit into that idea. Grig doesn't strike me as a good fit here (could be wrong not having seen much of him).

I got to think that if the combine indicates that Gal's knee is 100%... MTL would take him if available. Followed by Forsberg.

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Montreal loves small euro forwards.

Queue Galchenyuk
Yeah!! Like Koivu and uuh?

Mats Naslund?

I love informed and well thought comments like yours. Yes I know, we also had Sergei Zholtok and Petrov for a while. Very recent examples belonging to current and previous management

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 02:21 PM
dubey
U scared? :(

Quote:

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Career high, by a mile.
Do you expect him to do it again? What about 3 more times?

He shocked me this past season.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Why are you sorry? We'll get a good player too.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote