HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

coaching change?

Old
05-08-2012, 01:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Pretty much this. I recall loads of NYR fans calling for Torts head last year; good thing Sather didn't agree, I'd say.
You are so wrong. I can't believe you jus...wait a minute...we are agreeing about something?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Well of course it's the coach's fault. They had two days to prepare for Game 4 and they looked just as inept as they did in Game 3.
There is only so much the coach can do. Once you are out on the ice, if you **** up, that is your fault, not the coach's. Making adjustments in gameplan is the coach's job, not controlling the decisions of his on-ice players. Not to mention the fact that this is one series. Lavy did a pretty solid job leading a team of rookies and injured key players to (at least) the second round of the playoffs. No credit for that, though, huh?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:21 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
No, there were a lot of people who knew of DeBoer who were pretty unhappy to have him in the division. It happened, whether you doubt it or not.
With a resume consisting of three straight Missed Playoffs seasons?

Color me skeptical.

Quote:
The only result I think is plain: a team that had a grueling first round battle that is absolutely riddled with injuries is struggling. Unless you think coaches should have magical healing abilities, not much Lavi can do.
Too much excuses, sorry.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:24 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
There is only so much the coach can do. Once you are out on the ice, if you **** up, that is your fault, not the coach's.
Where were you five years ago?

Quote:
not controlling the decisions of his on-ice players.
Controlling decisions, via training, is pretty much all a coach does, in reality.

Quote:
Lavy did a pretty solid job leading a team of rookies and injured key players to (at least) the second round of the playoffs. No credit for that, though, huh?
Nope. No credit due for a second round exit.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Too much excuses, sorry.
Reasons, not excuses.

05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Laviolette is a great coach. a stanley cup winning coach. his system has worked and will work again but we need some luck which we didn't have enough of this year. wait a minute this year aint even over yet. we can win 3 games. wtf? were supposed to be hard core fans.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Laviolette is a great coach. a stanley cup winning coach. his system has worked and will work again but we need some luck which we didn't have enough of this year. wait a minute this year aint even over yet. we can win 3 games. wtf? were supposed to be hard core fans.
Seen Stub Hub lately? Seems the rats -- er, piece of **** Flyers "fans" -- can't jump ship fast enough.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Where were you five years ago?
Not really sure what this is in reference to...

Quote:
Controlling decisions, via training, is pretty much all a coach does, in reality.
Not on ice decisions. A coach doesn't control the player's decision when he is in his own zone about to clear the puck, or make a stretch pass, or make a move on a breakaway etc. The coach puts a system in place and it is up to the team to follow it. Mistakes made on the ice cannot be the fault of a coach. If Carle makes a bad pass out of the zone, that is not Lavy's fault. That is Carle's fault. If Lavy tells Carle that in situation A he is to pass to a certain player or execute a certain play, and that play doesn't work, that is Lavy's fault. Execution is on the players, not the coach. Preparation and gameplan is on the coach. This team is not executing well.

Quote:
Nope. No credit due for a second round exit.
When you say on credit, do you mean that he should be fired/replaced, that he is the reason that the team is losing, or just that he shouldn't be lauded for what the team accomplished this season? Those are two very different things. If you are saying he should be fired/replaced based on the team's performance this year, then you are out of your mind. If you are saying that he deserves the blame for the loss, you are also off base (see execution vs. preparation). If you are saying he doesn't deserve credit or accolades for this team's season, I wouldn't necessarily agree with you, but I see where you are coming from.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:58 PM

vCash: 50
"Right, I know it hasn't worked for the past 200 attempts, but if we try and dump it in behind them just one more time we'll start to scare them."

Absolutely no idea. Laviolette should have a gag in his mouth, he's been DeBoer's gimp.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I don't know why he's not even being discussed. I really think Michel Therrien could be a good fit for a young team like this. He's a good 'stick to the system' guy and could whip this team into shape defensively.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:48 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Will post this here as well...Coach may not need to be changed just yet but he needs to change against defensive disciplined teams like the Rangers, Devils and Tampa which know how to take us out of our game....

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=916

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote