Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

TV4's WC Announcers

Old
05-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Elvs

vCash: 500
TV4's WC Announcers

What do you think about them?

A better group than on TV3 for sure imo, but still... They are so often clueless.

Leif Boork. Let's take a pretty decent NHL'er who is in this tournament, lets say Alex Goligoski. I find it very hard to believe that Boork would have any clue who that is if you ask him prior the tournament. His call on Zetterberg deserving on that penalty against Norway was such a joke.

Petter Rönnqvist is a lot better, but in the game between Latvia and Russia.. "Perezhogin is a former first round pick by the Canadiens, but didn't play a single game in the NHL". I mean, if you have a sheet that says when Perezhogin was drafted, shouldn't you have a sheet that says that Perezhogin played two full seasons with the Canadiens? Sure, a minor mistake, but when these small mistakes happens all the time it becomes annoying.

Wikegård mentions Michael Frolik and Petr Prucha prior to the game against Denmark, rather than Plekanec and Krejci. And Plekanec goes out and is arguably their best player in that game.

At least Wikegård and Granqvist are fun listening to and I see that Wikegård has a good understanding for the game itself. He and Jihde makes a nice duo in the studio too. But one thing all the experts seem to have in common is that they just call players by their numbers. I mean, you must have the roster sheet in front of you, so can you at least pretend to know who they are, as some of them are quite relevant?

I don't expect them to know everything about every player. But they are far behind whatever experts we would have if it was the Soccer World Championship...

On the plus side, Johan Edlund has surprised me. Seems to know what players to have any eye on, even on the teams of Denmark, Latvia, Germany and Italy.

Last edited by Elvs: 05-06-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:30 AM
Dosing

I've actually liked it, shoot me but during vm atleast it's ok to listen to boork, just like when u watched it on the coach when u were little. And there's many watching who doesnt give a crap about hockey outside vm so they have to keep it simple.

Who would you prefer anyway?

Dosing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:46 AM
WayneBruce

Jihde is doing a surprisingly good job. I can´t really stand Boork, he can never admit that he is wrong and that bothers me, like that Zetterberg call for example. He is also very anti NHL but seems to know very little about the players there. Wikegård is good as always.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Förbundet: "Wikegård skadlig för ishockeyn"

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...for-ishockeyn/

Hockeyfrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
I've actually liked it, shoot me but during vm atleast it's ok to listen to boork, just like when u watched it on the coach when u were little. And there's many watching who doesnt give a crap about hockey outside vm so they have to keep it simple.

Who would you prefer anyway?
Don't get me wrong, I was sceptical when TV4 first took over the rights, but was very happy when I saw the broadcast group that was there (it could have been LOTS worse).

Nor do I really have a solution for it, we just don't have the same experts in hockey that we do in soccer. I should admit though, I don't follow soccer closely and wouldn't notice all the errors, but at least I know, whenever there's the WC in Soccer, the color analysts doesn't refer to players saying "that guy number 7"...

I'm not knocking on our color analysts understanding of the game, they are all former coaches/players and gets that part. I just don't get why they don't recognize more players... Johan Tornberg is probably my favourite though, understands the game better than anyone imo. I don't know if he reconignizes more players, but I think that he would take his time and learn them before an event like this had he been hired...

Whenever there's the World Juniors I think Chris Härenstam seems to have more knowledge about the prospects than whoever the color guy is. I don't think he knows all his stuff just in his head, but seems to do a lot of research prior to the games and at least cares to read the roster sheet in front of him.

I didn't make this thread to solve the problem, I guess I'm just waiting until someone really knowledgeable color analyts comes along (while still being good on screen). Right now it seems all the color guys have expertise in the same area (game details) and lacks knowledge in the same area (players outside of the SEL).

Last edited by Elvs: 05-06-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old
05-06-2012, 07:11 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
I really like Wikegard and Jihde together in the studio. Lasse Granqvist and Boork sucks. Sure Granqvist has passion, but he has taken all the words and terms fom the American announcers, and translates them into some real ugly Swedish words. That bothers me a lot. And Boork seems to be quite slow.

Ronnqvist and Edlund are the best two and is a great duo. And it's not even close, Boork and Granqvist sucks to much.

Last edited by bp spec: 05-06-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Typo
bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:18 AM
KRM

IMO there is a clear top three when it comes to hockey commentators; Härenstam, Granqvist, and Åström. HM to Niklas Holmgren.

The best thing about TV4 taking over is no more Ola Wenström.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:37 AM
WayneBruce

No, the best thing with TV4 is no more Renberg, I even prefer Boork over him.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Exalted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
No, the best thing with TV4 is no more Renberg, I even prefer Boork over him.
I like Boork despite what every one says. He's got good knowledge of the basics of hockey, and if people didn't get mad just because he says things they don't agree with they'd know this too. I think it was KRM that said it best when he said Boorks knowledge doesn't always translate well to TV. He's like that old pair of träskor for Swedish hockey.

The problem with Boork is that he knows nothing about the NHL. Renberg does but he's very uncharismatic. But he's goten better at it since he took over from Wikegård on hockeykväll.

I however can't stand Calle Johansson.

I like Granqvist, Holmgren and Härenstam as announcers and Renberg, Wikegård and Boork as experts. I'd rather listen too Wikegård and Renberg when it's international hockey though since they have more knowledge in that area. But for Elitserien Boork is just fine.

1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:23 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstroms pads View Post
I like Boork despite what every one says. He's got good knowledge of the basics of hockey, and if people didn't get mad just because he says things they don't agree with they'd know this too. I think it was KRM that said it best when he said Boorks knowledge doesn't always translate well to TV. He's like that old pair of träskor for Swedish hockey.

The problem with Boork is that he knows nothing about the NHL. Renberg does but he's very uncharismatic. But he's goten better at it since he took over from Wikegård on hockeykväll.

I like Granqvist, Holmgren and Härenstam as announcers and Renberg, Wikegård and Boork as experts. I'd rather listen too Wikegård and Renberg when it's international hockey though since they have more knowledge in that area. But for Elitserien Boork is just fine.
How can you not stand Calle? I think he's great!

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Exalted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
He's the Glenn Hysén of Swedish hockey.

1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Dosing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
IMO there is a clear top three when it comes to hockey commentators; Härenstam, Granqvist, and Åström. HM to Niklas Holmgren.

The best thing about TV4 taking over is no more Ola Wenström.
yea wenström's to "trendy" to care about hockey and he loves to show it. any vm without him and södergren is an successful one

Dosing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 12:38 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
södergren:

"hawkeye"

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 12:44 PM
cheerupmurray

Wikegård and Härenstam was my favorite hockey announcer duo hands down. Granqvist is nice too.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
I'm defenitely not a fan either. He's such a homer. I remember about two years ago, he claimed Niklas Kronwall to be the NHL's second best defenseman after only Lidstrom.

Worse: In another Red Wings game, he claimed that Jonathan Ericsson's break out passes are top 3 in the league.

Last edited by Elvs: 05-07-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old
05-07-2012, 03:01 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstroms pads View Post

I agree with Boork, perhaps he is best on radio. I always liked when he predicted things to happen (cutting down on lines, line changes, etc) before they happen.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:08 AM
kuf

I think Boork is great. He's not the most knowledgable of the NHL, but at least decent, he has great understanding of the game and is quite good an analyst. His experience and knowledge of swedish hockey is great too. I think his calm and analytic approach fits well with Granqvists more passionate style.

Granqvist was amazing when he was on SR, where he really thrived with his quick pace and passion. I think he's adjusted quite well to TV and creates a good atmosphere.

Another great thing with having Granqvist there is that we don't have to listen to Pärlskog on the high profile games.

kuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:29 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
he claimed that Jonathan Ericsson's break out passes are top 3 in the league.

and also that Jiri Hudler(!) is a heart and soul player.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Boork has been absolutley awful. ITs a miracle that he hasnt lost his job. That penaltycall on Zetterberg.. just wow. Anyone who thinks he is good clearly doesnt have any knowledge about hockey at all. Have you also seen his krönika about JL? HORRIBLE.
I found it really suprising that this guy has any fans at all.

Wikegård and Jihde are great. Still havent seen any broadcast with Sanny Lindström but he is probobly fantastic too. But i miss hawk-eye.. such an epic name.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Alfapet

It's a painful experience listening to Boork... He's just so ignorant, he obviously sees himself as a wise hockey oracle, but in fact he knows nothing. His comments are often beyond stupid...

I like Wikegård better but paired with Jihde I get a gameshow feeling (think Gladiatorerna) from him which is NOT pleasant.

Alfapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:14 AM
icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfapet View Post
I like Wikegård better but paired with Jihde I get a gameshow feeling (think Gladiatorerna) from him which is NOT pleasant.
Thats because Jidhe is stuck in "entertainment mode". And that does not pair up good with a guy like Wikegård that easily gets pulled along in whatever is going on. Wikegård has no brakes when getting started, and of course has no problem in correcting/taunting Jidhe when he gets to silly. Then Jidhes feelings gets hurt and he stabs back at Wikegård...and then...well...like to childreen bickering.

Throw Jidhe out of the studio and get a more serious partner for Wikegård.

And Boork is awful. Just awful. The only time a like seeing Boork is when Wikegård goes against him with a total opposite opinion.

icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
KRM

Anyone else heard Boork say that Hansen got Kronwalled?

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:37 PM
FirstSwitch

Boork: and look now there is 6 danish players on the ice ?!!?
Granquist: it's because it's a delayed penalty..so it's allowed!
Boork: but i mean one more

FirstSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:13 AM
Hockeyfrilla

remove boork and add wikegård as expert, wikegård/granqvist

Hockeyfrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

At least the Kinch era is over, eh boys?

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote