HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Porty's Blue Jackets' Report Card

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2012, 02:59 PM
  #51
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,952
vCash: 500
So Porty gives Brass a C-. Taking his season as a whole can't say that I disagree. But based on the second half I guess I'd be inclined to give him a B. His stats project out to 18-40-58 over a full season.
I'd take that next year from him, although I'd like it better (obviously) if he had a few more goals to go with those 40 assists. say 25-40-65.

Calvert -who knows? I kind of like Porty's suggestion of starting him on the 4th line and let him earn his way up or a one way ticket back to Springfield.

Dorsett an A. Hmmm. I guess for the Jackets and expectations of him, I can accept it. In absolute terms of third liners around the league maybe more like a B. Don't have any specifics but I'm thinking I can find 10 third line wingers who bring more to the table. Not heart mind you; I don't believe there are many who can out-heart Dorsett.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:26 AM
  #52
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
So Porty gives Brass a C-. Taking his season as a whole can't say that I disagree. But based on the second half I guess I'd be inclined to give him a B. His stats project out to 18-40-58 over a full season.
I'd take that next year from him, although I'd like it better (obviously) if he had a few more goals to go with those 40 assists. say 25-40-65.

Calvert -who knows? I kind of like Porty's suggestion of starting him on the 4th line and let him earn his way up or a one way ticket back to Springfield.

Dorsett an A. Hmmm. I guess for the Jackets and expectations of him, I can accept it. In absolute terms of third liners around the league maybe more like a B. Don't have any specifics but I'm thinking I can find 10 third line wingers who bring more to the table. Not heart mind you; I don't believe there are many who can out-heart Dorsett.
I'd say I agree on all. I'm no great fan of Brass, as is no secret. I fully expect a bounce back year, of sorts, for Brass next season, before he decides he doesn't want to compete regularly again when he realizes that not only is Johansen better, but he's got a better work ethic too.

Matt Calvert is at the point where you throw him in and see if he sticks. We've had too manuy of these failed picks that seem to show up for a bit then fall off the radar. Calvert is old enough now where its time to see if 10-11 was a flash in the pan or not. I have a great fear that this is the same road Cam Atkinson also takes.

Not many players are "out hearting" Dorsett, but if he's one of the team's lone bright spots, I think we know how the season went.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:38 AM
  #53
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I'd say I agree on all. I'm no great fan of Brass, as is no secret. I fully expect a bounce back year, of sorts, for Brass next season, before he decides he doesn't want to compete regularly again when he realizes that not only is Johansen better, but he's got a better work ethic too.

Matt Calvert is at the point where you throw him in and see if he sticks. We've had too manuy of these failed picks that seem to show up for a bit then fall off the radar. Calvert is old enough now where its time to see if 10-11 was a flash in the pan or not. I have a great fear that this is the same road Cam Atkinson also takes.

Not many players are "out hearting" Dorsett, but if he's one of the team's lone bright spots, I think we know how the season went.
I think that your fears are justified, but my thought is that Cam has way more skill than Matty, and possesses the same or more heart. Plus, Cam seems to have that intangible of always being around the puck, and being in the right place at the right time.

I like Cam's future possibilities with the CBJ, where-as I am skeptical of the potential of Calvert to amount to much more than a low minute bottom six guy.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:24 PM
  #54
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,165
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
I agree with the Dorsett A rating.... the dude bleeds hockey, in fact, I think he bleeds Blue Jacket hockey and brings experience. Get a franchise top to bottom full of guys as this and the winning will follow.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:50 PM
  #55
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 500
I don't think Cam and Calvert are anywhere close to the same thing. Calvert's goals were all hustle-type goals when the rest of the league was not paying attention to him. Cam is scoring skill goals and he is creating chances. Cam has way, way more skill than Calvert.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:56 PM
  #56
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,165
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I don't think Cam and Calvert are anywhere close to the same thing. Calvert's goals were all hustle-type goals when the rest of the league was not paying attention to him. Cam is scoring skill goals and he is creating chances. Cam has way, way more skill than Calvert.
Don't tell AP that, at one time Calvert was the next Gretzky according to him... then, Calvert decided to stay in the Canadian JR’S to win a Memorial Cup instead of going pro with the Blue Jackets and Howson said no problem.


Borrowing words that Viqsi might say, to hell with Calvert.


Last edited by Robert: 05-13-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:57 AM
  #57
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ
 
joshjoshjosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guam
Country: Eritrea
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I'd say I agree on all. I'm no great fan of Brass, as is no secret. I fully expect a bounce back year, of sorts, for Brass next season, before he decides he doesn't want to compete regularly again when he realizes that not only is Johansen better, but he's got a better work ethic too.

Matt Calvert is at the point where you throw him in and see if he sticks. We've had too manuy of these failed picks that seem to show up for a bit then fall off the radar. Calvert is old enough now where its time to see if 10-11 was a flash in the pan or not. I have a great fear that this is the same road Cam Atkinson also takes.

Not many players are "out hearting" Dorsett, but if he's one of the team's lone bright spots, I think we know how the season went.
You cant call shooting 20% over two months anything but

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:34 PM
  #58
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,952
vCash: 500
Porty gives RyJo a C. Guess I agree, although I agree more with what he said about how the Jackets (once again) mishandled a prospect. If he was at the NHL level he should have been playing C on one of the top 2 lines, especially after Carter & Vermette were traded and the season was lost. If he wasn't ready for the NHL he should have been in the WHL not in the press box or playing wing on the 3rd or 4th line.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:10 PM
  #59
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 543
Did AP ever finish the report cards? Dont recall seeing Umberger or Wiz. Maybe others.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:43 AM
  #60
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,566
vCash: 500
Last report card appears to have been David Savard on June 13th unless I missed one going through the blog history.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:15 AM
  #61
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,952
vCash: 500
Porty gets an Incomplete

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:05 AM
  #62
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I agree with the Dorsett A rating.... the dude bleeds hockey, in fact, I think he bleeds Blue Jacket hockey and brings experience. Get a franchise top to bottom full of guys as this and the winning will follow.
Dorsett hockey is Blue Jackets hockey.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:24 AM
  #63
Derby
Pilsners in Prague
 
Derby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Porty gets an Incomplete
Cut him some slack.

Porty was too busy all summer with his hourly updates of "nothing happening" to complete his homework. And in the end when the trade actually happened, he was scooped by Canadian media.

Proud to live in the Columbus area where the rinky-dink journalism of the Dispatch is all we get...

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:26 PM
  #64
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd
 
Matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,306
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Porty's back in the shop getting new Wolfe programming for the upcoming season.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:02 PM
  #65
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Cut him some slack.

Porty was too busy all summer with his hourly updates of "nothing happening" to complete his homework. And in the end when the trade actually happened, he was scooped by Canadian media.

Proud to live in the Columbus area where the rinky-dink journalism of the Dispatch is all we get...
I maintain that we have true quality hockey media here. After all, the Dispatch boys are just as bat**** insane as anyone you'll find in Toronto.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.