HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
05-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Adamcrazy3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
I got A- in Inte290. What a joke of a class. I put no more than 10 hours of work the whole semester. I recommend everybody to take it. Surprisingly, there were some failures. How that's possible, I don't know.

And L-O-F'ing-L at the idiot students who now say the government used dirty tactics like sleep deprivation to trick them into the preliminary agreement. Sleep deprivation? College Students? Are they serious? I can't count how many times I've had to work until 4 or 5am, sleep a few hours and go to class for 8:45am. Part of the College experience is learning how to manage time between sleep, work, friends, and school. Sometimes, you gotta make sacrifices.

But hard work and sacrifice are words these fools know nothing of. Whining and protest on the other hand, have been perfected.
Can you take INTE290 if you already got credits for DESC200?

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Batali Crocs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Can you take INTE290 if you already got credits for DESC200?
No idea. What's DESC200? Is it easy?

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
No idea. What's DESC200? Is it easy?
It's an easy elective.

http://www.econcordia.com/home/Cours...s.aspx?id=2638

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

While I'm still under a strike mandate, I have to make my elective course choice for next semester, as I haven't used up my elective yet. I'm toying between PPA1100 or PPA1111, both at the University of Montreal. And, as far as electives are concerned, rather take entry-level ones than advanced electives. OK, I know PPA1100 and PPA1111 have nothing to do with physics or mathematics so I have no clue to what to expect from either one. However, I know the former is a mandatory course for future elementary-school teachers, the latter is a mandatory course for future special-education teachers. So it begs the following questions:

1. Are these courses (PPA1100 and PPA1111) easy courses?
2. How do they differ from typical physics or mathematics courses? Do they require more work? Or do they just require different kinds of effort from a student (vs. a physics or mathematics course)?
3. Other than schedule considerations, what could help me choose a course over another?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Tintin's Ghost

The only students who deserve respect are the ones who continue to go to class. Outside of Quebec, everyone with a brain is laughing at the idiots who are protesting, vandalizing, mooching off mommy and daddy while they play hooky, etc.

The very fact that the Canadian Federation of Students is involved says it all. The CFS has been the big player in leftist student politics for the last few decades and they still could not effectively address rising tuition. Union dues well spent!

This truly is another reason for the rest of Canada to laugh at Quebec.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
The only students who deserve respect are the ones who continue to go to class. Outside of Quebec, everyone with a brain is laughing at the idiots who are protesting, vandalizing, mooching off mommy and daddy while they play hooky, etc.

The very fact that the Canadian Federation of Students is involved says it all. The CFS has been the big player in leftist student politics for the last few decades and they still could not effectively address rising tuition. Union dues well spent!

This truly is another reason for the rest of Canada to laugh at Quebec.
actually the real joke is on those who are about to vote PLQ again...

the PM keep his 1600 or so hike, doesnt give anything substantial to the students on strike and managed to make the tax-payers pay more (where the money for the increase in bursaries comes from ?)

so in the end, students will pay more, tax payers will have to contribute a little more (trough taxes, for bursaries and whatnot) and the Govt will save $ that will benefit no one but the PLQ itself...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

the PM keep his 1600 or so hike, doesnt give anything substantial to the students on strike and managed to make the tax-payers pay more (where the money for the increase in bursaries comes from ?)

so in the end, students will pay more, tax payers will have to contribute a little more (trough taxes, for bursaries and whatnot) and the Govt will save $ that will benefit no one but the PLQ itself...
I agree with your comments. Too bad the mighty student unions brokered that horrible deal with the government. Union dues well spent!

If Quebec students are so upset about how money is spent I suggets they look closely at the CFS and CLASSE. There is a reason that local student unions in BC, Sask and MB held referendums in the last few years to remove the CFS from their campus. The biggest thieves are the 40 year-old "career students" who run the student unions and manipulate their members.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:36 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
I agree with your comments. Too bad the mighty student unions brokered that horrible deal with the government. Union dues well spent!

If Quebec students are so upset about how money is spent I suggets they look closely at the CFS and CLASSE. There is a reason that local student unions in BC, Sask and MB held referendums in the last few years to remove the CFS from their campus. The biggest thieves are the 40 year-old "career students" who run the student unions and manipulate their members.
well, I dont know much about the CFS and other students union as I'm not a student (last time : about 30 years ago!) but in this particular case I think people (both students and tax-payers) have to worry about workers union (CSN, FTQ) who were involved in this process...

students made no gains at all in this deal and yet they were "encouraged" to sign it by these experienced union leaders ? looks fishy to me...

Old
05-08-2012, 03:45 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
well, I dont know much about the CFS and other students union as I'm not a student (last time : about 30 years ago!) but in this particular case I think people (both students and tax-payers) have to worry about workers union (CSN, FTQ) who were involved in this process...

students made no gains at all in this deal and yet they were "encouraged" to sign it by these experienced union leaders ? looks fishy to me...
It is highly disturbing that union leaders had any hand in this.

The students are getting jobbed on all sides here (PLQ, PQ, unions, etc.) and have been for several weeks, they just couldn't see it.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:

A complete lose-lose deal and most student associations that did vote, well, rejected it. I'm extremely worried about PHYSUM since our vote is tomorrow.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:52 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
It is highly disturbing that union leaders had any hand in this.

The students are getting jobbed on all sides here (PLQ, PQ, unions, etc.) and have been for several weeks, they just couldn't see it.
Well, and I dont mean it in a condescending way but I didnt expect them to get everything right, we're talking about a bunch of 18/22 years old here (for the most part), it's not like they have tons of experience...

unfortunately it looks more and more like everyone's is trying to gain political advantages one way or another at the expense of the students AND tax-payers...

it's like, no one invloved seems to care about the students or at the very least the state of our CEGEP/universities... everyone's in it for personnal gain.

and that includes the Govt who managed to make everyone pay more while not giving anything back.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

I had an actual academics question and you guys found a way to derail the entire thing with more crisis talk...

Old
05-08-2012, 03:57 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
A complete lose-lose deal and most student associations that did vote, well, rejected it. I'm extremely worried about PHYSUM since our vote is tomorrow.
worried as in, that you'll keep striking or ?

Old
05-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
worried as in, that you'll keep striking or ?
Worried that we might endorse a complete lose-lose deal... personally I'd vote against the deal. Too many risks that the watch group will not work. But, if we stop the strike, we are going to continue going to protests whenever we can and do actions.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Worried that we might endorse a complete lose-lose deal... personally I'd vote against the deal. Too many risks that the watch group will not work.
from the outside I'd say the watch group is built not to work...

students will be a minority and the others involved who are already in the system wont be interested one bit in making "cuts". They werent before, I dont think they'll be because of 3 or 4 students.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Well, and I dont mean it in a condescending way but I didnt expect them to get everything right, we're talking about a bunch of 18/22 years old here (for the most part), it's not like they have tons of experience...
It's not condescending at all. It's a simple fact. They're young and naive and don't have the experience to go toe-to-toe with people who have been in politics since before they were even born.

For a lot of them, their hearts are in the right place, but that generally won't get you far when it comes to politics. There are some who are just too naive to realize that you can't always get what you want, no matter how much you scream.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:22 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Guys, we have a thread on the politics board for this kind of strike talk. This should be reserved for academic discussion.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:25 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Indeed. Take the protest/hausse talks to the politics board. This thread is now just for regular school talk.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:30 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Yeah, it's not like this thread is hockey related anyways

Old
05-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Here's my actual academic question:

I have to make my elective course choice for next semester, as I haven't used up my elective yet. I'm toying between PPA1100 or PPA1111, both at the University of Montreal, both courses I'd consider taking because it could help me if I have kids someday. And, as far as electives are concerned, rather take entry-level ones than advanced electives. OK, I know PPA1100 and PPA1111 have nothing to do with physics or mathematics so I have no clue to what to expect from either one, other than they have elective-eligible status for physics students. However, I know the former is a mandatory course for future elementary-school teachers, the latter is a mandatory course for future special-education teachers. So it begs the following questions:

1. Are these courses (PPA1100 and PPA1111) easy courses?
2. How do they differ from typical physics or mathematics courses? Do they require more work? Or do they just require different kinds of effort from a student (vs. a physics or mathematics course)?
3. Other than schedule considerations, what could help me choose a course over another?

Old
05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Indeed. Take the protest/hausse talks to the politics board. This thread is now just for regular school talk.
****ing awesome!

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
canadiansbronco

Anybody know what are the prerequirement for different certificats offered at HEC and other school ?

canadiansbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
Anybody know what are the prerequirement for different certificats offered at HEC and other school ?
hec.com ?

Old
05-09-2012, 07:18 PM
canadiansbronco

Quote:
hec.com ?
tried it does not show it unless i missed them

canadiansbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old