HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Roster

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2012, 03:33 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
What incentive does St Louis have to get rid of Oshie for a player like JvR who is weaker on the puck and produces less?

If JvR is getting moved it better be for a stud blue chip defensemen and I don't mind throwing in a package of picks or prospects along with him to get it.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:41 AM
BillDineen

vCash: 500
A few points on some UFAs:

Supposedly 30 teams want Justin Schultz. But if that is the case, he will likely get max rookie bonuses and have a cap hit of 3.775mm.

Zenon Konopka or Jim Slater might be a cheaper option than Gaustad or Pahlsson.

Stuart, Jackman, Salvador are all decent options on D if Suter cannot be obtained.

I would take Wideman at 1mm more than Garrison given his track record. Garrison could be next year's Leino.

It would not surprise me if Homer signed Tootoo. Just because.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:48 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I really do like Oshie. But I think I jumped the gun a bit on with JVR. But on the my 2nd post about him, I think if the Flyers really want him, gun for him with offer sheets. But I'd be willing to trade off Simmonds somewhere if it meant getting Oshie. I do think it is a bad thing though to trade JVR right now, considering he has a very off season because of injuries. However, he'd should only be considered on the table if it meant a true #1 or #2, nothing less, even if we have to add a bit.

I mean I doubt we would EVER touch OEL, Pietrangelo, Karlsson or the like.

Also, with Wideman, he SOMEHOW has 13 more giveaways than Carle...
Garrison only had 30 giveaways compared to Wideman's 68 in 5 less games.
What about Carlo Colaiacovo?

Last edited by SolidSnakeUS: 05-08-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old
05-08-2012, 04:02 AM
SolidSnakeUS

What the piss?

Old
05-08-2012, 08:16 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I really do like Oshie. But I think I jumped the gun a bit on with JVR. But on the my 2nd post about him, I think if the Flyers really want him, gun for him with offer sheets. But I'd be willing to trade off Simmonds somewhere if it meant getting Oshie. I do think it is a bad thing though to trade JVR right now, considering he has a very off season because of injuries. However, he'd should only be considered on the table if it meant a true #1 or #2, nothing less, even if we have to add a bit.
Say what? You'd be willing to trade Simmonds, who nearly had 30 goals this year while playing on the third line, for TJ Oshie, who has never cracked 20 once in the NHL? Are you for real? Simmonds managed to pot 28 while only playing an average of 15:55 per night. Oshie on the other hand, played an average of 19:32 per night.

Simmonds should see an increase in his ice time next year and there's no doubt that with an extra two to three minutes of ice time, his goal scoring total should be in the mid to high 30s next year. You don't get rid of those kinds of players.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:19 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Um as he gets older, the worse it becomes, not the other way around. Honestly, his locker room presence isnt worth ONLY 1.1m (1.1 mill is HUGE btw. Its the difference between signing someone for 5.1 mil instead of 4 mil for example). Sestito and even Rinaldo who is pretty much useless will get nods over Shelly. Actually I dont know why you dont like Sestito. I know you love your goons, but Sestito can goon it up and atleast play some hockey. To be a good, you dont just need to go out there for a minute and fight.
Sestito picks on little guys.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Sestito picks on little guys.
Not really. But it is hard to pick on the "big guys" when the league has only a handful anymore.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:26 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Say what? You'd be willing to trade Simmonds, who nearly had 30 goals this year while playing on the third line, for TJ Oshie, who has never cracked 20 once in the NHL? Are you for real? Simmonds managed to pot 28 while only playing an average of 15:55 per night. Oshie on the other hand, played an average of 19:32 per night.

Simmonds should see an increase in his ice time next year and there's no doubt that with an extra two to three minutes of ice time, his goal scoring total should be in the mid to high 30s next year. You don't get rid of those kinds of players.
Simmonds for Oshie? I'd pack Wayne's bags and drive him to the airport. Are goals all that matter? No.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:29 PM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Simmonds for Oshie? I'd pack Wayne's bags and drive him to the airport. Are goals all that matter? No.
i know simmonds has pretty much sucked these playoffs .. which i totally did not expect.. but give the guy a break, he works hard and will improve his game

Old
05-08-2012, 02:31 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I like Oshie, but the past year or so, I remember reading he has had some attitude problems. Skipping practice(s), partying before games, etc etc. Oshie is solid defensively, but the attitude problem might be a problem.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:37 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Not really. But it is hard to pick on the "big guys" when the league has only a handful anymore.
Shelley still finds 1 every 5 games...

...and Sestito got knocked out by Tootoo

Old
05-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:

Points aren't awarded in the standings for fight wins, or who fights who. Shelley is useless. Sestito is slightly less useless.

05-08-2012, 02:42 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Eh but the fighting does nothing to effect the game. I guess its entertaining to a few, but other than that there is nothing else. Sestito can provide other parts to the game.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:44 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post
i know simmonds has pretty much sucked these playoffs .. which i totally did not expect.. but give the guy a break, he works hard and will improve his game
I'm not being hard on Simmonds. I love Simmonds. But Oshie is a better all around player. I'm surprised it's even a question. Simmonds came from a defensive system to a run and gun system and had a career year, and people think he's untouchable? I'd have him pretty high up on my tradeable list.

BTW, getting Oshie is a slim to none opportunity, and we'd have to add to a Simmonds deal, which makes it even more undesirable from our side. His name was just thrown out there.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Coppy

I predict we'll sign someone from the KHL looking to make a comeback.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:02 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
I like Oshie, but the past year or so, I remember reading he has had some attitude problems. Skipping practice(s), partying before games, etc etc. Oshie is solid defensively, but the attitude problem might be a problem.
does he like to drink and bang chicks? If so...LA is that way <---

Old
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
What incentive does St Louis have to get rid of Oshie for a player like JvR who is weaker on the puck and produces less?

If JvR is getting moved it better be for a stud blue chip defensemen and I don't mind throwing in a package of picks or prospects along with him to get it.
The incentive is that JVR has Rick Nash potential...
It really sucks that he had an injury that really effects those things that you mention he is weak at...
Hopefully, he will be very healthy next year and we can get a better read after next year because potential cannot last forever.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely with you on that. I think Simmonds plays well, and scores dirty goals that Oshie perhaps doesn't, but I like Oshie's playmaking abilities much more. Plus, I don't think Simmonds will be able to produce as consistently as Oshie in the future.

No way in hell the Blues would even consider this deal, though, I think.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, I'm definitely with you on that. I think Simmonds plays well, and scores dirty goals that Oshie perhaps doesn't, but I like Oshie's playmaking abilities much more. Plus, I don't think Simmonds will be able to produce as consistently as Oshie in the future.

No way in hell the Blues would even consider this deal, though, I think.
I didn't mean as a deal to St. Louis that includes Simmonds, I meant that if we do get Oshie, I would be willing to trade Simmonds so we can fit Oshie in the top 9 (top 6 most likely).

Old
05-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

Is there any chance that Ben Holmstrom can step into our 4th line center role next year??

Old
05-08-2012, 05:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Really? I've watched Oshie a lot and he just doesn't impress. Ok, so he's a good puck possession guy. We've got three of those centers in Giroux, Couturier and Schenn. Ok, he's versatile in that he can play right wing. Ok, on the Flyers depth chart, that's Jagr, Briere and Voracek. Voracek is a carbon copy Oshie.

What I'm really unimpressed with is that Oshie has the luxury of getting big ice time (19 minutes, 32 seconds a game average). He looks ordinary out there. Simmonds on the other hand has averaged 15 minutes and 55 seconds and has done more with his time than Oshie has. On top of it, Oshie also gets top PP unit time. Simmonds gets 2nd unit PP time.

I know that "goals" don't matter, but Oshie isn't a need here. Simmonds is. The Flyers remove Simmonds and not only are 28 goals gone from the lineup, but so is an imposing 6'3, 200 pound winger. That's much more of a need than Oshie.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:44 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Is there any chance that Ben Holmstrom can step into our 4th line center role next year??
He should have been there this year. If it wasn't for Couturier having a fantastic camp, Holmstrom would have been the guy.

I think Holmstrom gets his chance in the fall as Schenn and Couturier will be 2 and 3 while Briere is permanently moved to the wing. I suppose Talbot could be the 4th C, but he plays his best on the wing. Moving forward, I think a 4th line of Talbot - Holmstrom - Wellwood would give the opposition fits. There's speed, there's hitting, there's agitating and most important, there's skill on that line. Leaving them as the defensive conscience on the team would be ideal.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

What's bad is, Holmstrom probably has the worst hands of that line, but he can certainly do the dirty stuff.

So something like this:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.750m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Ben Holmstrom ($0.850m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Ryan Suter ($6.300m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Marc-Andre Bourdon ($1.250m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.738m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,346,944; BONUSES: $3,555,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,653,056

Last edited by SolidSnakeUS: 05-08-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 07:00 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
He should have been there this year. If it wasn't for Couturier having a fantastic camp, Holmstrom would have been the guy.

I think Holmstrom gets his chance in the fall as Schenn and Couturier will be 2 and 3 while Briere is permanently moved to the wing. I suppose Talbot could be the 4th C, but he plays his best on the wing. Moving forward, I think a 4th line of Talbot - Holmstrom - Wellwood would give the opposition fits. There's speed, there's hitting, there's agitating and most important, there's skill on that line. Leaving them as the defensive conscience on the team would be ideal.
a must

Old
05-08-2012, 07:22 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
a must
Agreed. I'm pretty sure that the move is permanent as of now. I don't think Laviolette is going to move Schenn or Couturier to the wing to make a spot for Briere. I know Briere had problems the last time he was moved to the wing, but I think things will be different now in that Schenn isn't a shooter while Carter was. I think the move can work this time around though.

Closed Thread