HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire: Greatest foreshadowing ever?

Old
05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I wish Sam and Joe would be a bit more critical at times and call out Ranger players when they make a dumb play. They're afraid of losing their jobs I think. That is why I enjoy listening to Dave Maloney way more: if someone makes a terrible play he won't sugarcoat it.
Yeah I know it's Dolan and all, but jeez, Walt Frazier calls out Knicks all the time for lack of hustle, bad decisions, etc. Sam and Joe tiptoe around like their next statement might be their last.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:07 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Yeah I know it's Dolan and all, but jeez, Walt Frazier calls out Knicks all the time for lack of hustle, bad decisions, etc. Sam and Joe tiptoe around like their next statement might be their last.

Walt Frazier is a Knicks legend, he CAN get on the Knicks without fear of losing his job.

Sam and Joe aren't exactly held in such esteem as Walt.

Sam maybe.

Joe would be given a quick release.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I wish Sam and Joe would be a bit more critical at times and call out Ranger players when they make a dumb play. They're afraid of losing their jobs I think. That is why I enjoy listening to Dave Maloney way more: if someone makes a terrible play he won't sugarcoat it.
Actually, it has more to do with how they think the game, in my opinion, than it does them not being hard on the Rangers. For many people, the first thing they see is what their team did. That includes the good, the mediocre and the bad. The way that Sam and Joe both think the game is to look at the good thing that anyone on the ice did on the play. So instead of criticizing the bad play a Ranger made, they talk about the good play the opponent made. I'm actually the same way. So was JD. So is Darren Ingblom.

Olcyzk used to be really annoying with how every single play he would talk about would be someone screwing something up. He's gotten better, but he still leans more on the negative side. I find that style of analysis to be boring. Hockey is about the skill that the players have. I'd rather hear about when they use it than when they don't. I'm not saying they should never talk about the negative, but I am saying that I like hearing a lot less of it.

Lastly, even the best local guys are going to show some amount of bias towards their own team. Local broadcasters who don't root for their own team are very boring. I can only imagine the grin that Joe had on his face out in Phoenix, even though he maintained his professionalism on air.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
LOL this is a true story...

Pierre: 'Could be four minutes. Well, it doesn't really matter.'

Me: 'It matters if the Rangers score'

About two seconds later, Pierre: 'It does matter if the Rangers score'

You're welcome, Pierre!
That kind of thing is such a good feeling. I remember in my late teens, early-20s, I would watch games with my dad and he or I would regularly make an observations, both about what really happened and analysis, that would be repeating within seconds or minutes by JD. This would happen at least 3 or 4 times every single broadcast. It's definitely a warm feeling when it happens.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:02 PM
folding
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
That kind of thing is such a good feeling. I remember in my late teens, early-20s, I would watch games with my dad and he or I would regularly make an observations, both about what really happened and analysis, that would be repeating within seconds or minutes by JD. This would happen at least 3 or 4 times every single broadcast. It's definitely a warm feeling when it happens.
It is a great feeling. My husband and I both do this a lot. He has an uncanny ability to also say catchphrases or whatnot out of nowhere that will then be said by the broadcasters a split second later. He tells me about how he used to listen to ballgames on his radio when he was a kid for hours and hours at night, preferring that over tv. He said it soothed him. I think that engrained something in his head that gives him that sixth sense now with this. I do it all the time but he takes it to another level. Sometimes it's annoying to watch sports with him (other than the fact that he's a Flyers and Phils fan) because he is always ahead of the game and I get distracted!

folding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:20 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Here I expected him to tell us about the 4minuntes Jr team and the coach he played for.

Pierre is a ******! Ever since I listened to him on a game in the WJC 3 years ago between two lower seeded teams, all he did was sarcastically insult the play of a bunch of kids all game long...totally classless and arrogant.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Why isn't Pierre on twitter?

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
emodwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hagelins Flow View Post
Can you see that jabbering information sponge limitting himself to 140 characters at a time?

He'd use up each tweet just name dropping the Canadian junior team name the player played for 9 years ago, the coach's girlfriend at the time and the favorite snack of the head janitor at the local arena.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
He's so bad but it's hilarious. So it ends up being good.
this ^

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:39 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Meh. Pierre is just trying to engage Eddie O in a discussion. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I don't really want my commentators engaging anybody in anything during the game. Call the game and let me watch it in peace. If you have something insightful to say during the broadcast, say it. Otherwise shut it.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:41 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I feel exactly the same way about Joseph Robert Micheletti. It's always "don't ya think Sam", or "would you agree." So annoying.
Yeah, he does the same thing. But I'll hand it to Pierre... his aren't as simplistic and obvious as Micheletti. "The Rangers need to get shots on goal, don't you think Sam?" "The Rangers are playing a better period, right Sam?"

Old
05-09-2012, 09:51 AM
NYRangers77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
Walt Frazier is a Knicks legend, he CAN get on the Knicks without fear of losing his job.

Sam and Joe aren't exactly held in such esteem as Walt.

Sam maybe.

Joe would be given a quick release.
Good one... "Hes just so big and strong Sam"

Pierre for the most part is ok sometimes a bit annoying, I do agree that Eddie O has some sort of hate for the rangers but he will admit when good plays are made and the same thing for Doc but he did devils games forever hes supposed to hate us. As much as we dont want to admit Doc is one of the best. Very descriptive during the play and he probably read the dictionary 5 times as he uses words such as "waffleboarded"

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
His hands are too busy "typing" near Crosby's crotch

Old
05-09-2012, 10:07 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers77 View Post
Good one... "Hes just so big and strong Sam"

Pierre for the most part is ok sometimes a bit annoying, I do agree that Eddie O has some sort of hate for the rangers but he will admit when good plays are made and the same thing for Doc but he did devils games forever hes supposed to hate us. As much as we dont want to admit Doc is one of the best. Very descriptive during the play and he probably read the dictionary 5 times as he uses words such as "waffleboarded"

See the Doc Emrick drinking game.

I can't find the link sorry.

Don't try it at home it WILL KILL you.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Yeah, he does the same thing. But I'll hand it to Pierre... his aren't as simplistic and obvious as Micheletti. "The Rangers need to get shots on goal, don't you think Sam?" "The Rangers are playing a better period, right Sam?"
LOL so true.

Micheletti: 'That Hagelin, he just goes, doesn't he Sam?'

Yeah Joe, he just goes. Thanks for that.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
I don't really want my commentators engaging anybody in anything during the game. Call the game and let me watch it in peace. If you have something insightful to say during the broadcast, say it. Otherwise shut it.
To each his (or her!) own. I think it's fine for commentators to bounce things off each other, whether they agree or not.

I'm not even a Met fan, but I'll watch just to hear Darling and Hernandez. They're both knowledgable and sometimes they agree, and sometimes they don't. But it's usually entertaining and informative.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:01 PM
JanErixon20

I like McGuire. I really enjoy Mike Emrick, he's the best. I once watched a woman's game between the US and Canada that he did and he was just as excited over that as a playoff game.

Olcyzk definitely has a dislike of the Rangers. I think it was game 2 the cameras showed Messier and the announcer (wasn't Emrick that night) asked what is was like having a Captain like him and EO ignored it and said, "Yeah, well that was a long time ago." Full doooosh mode.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
To each his (or her!) own. I think it's fine for commentators to bounce things off each other, whether they agree or not.

I'm not even a Met fan, but I'll watch just to hear Darling and Hernandez. They're both knowledgable and sometimes they agree, and sometimes they don't. But it's usually entertaining and informative.
With baseball it's fine. Nothing is going on anyway. Conversation is the most exciting thing you'll get out of a baseball game... well, that and beer.

With hockey it's constant action. Pierre's like, "what do you think about that decision to hold on to the puck instead of passing it, hey Eddie?" And then Eddie's like, "Well... yeah... I see what he was trying to do there... sometime you want to bla bla bla bla..."

In the mean time the teams have gone up and down the ice 5 times. It's distracting. I also don't like when MSG will have Messier or whomever in the booth and they'll start discussing irrelevant crap while play is in progress. "So... your training for a marathon... tell us all about it... oh wait hold on a second the Ranger just got scored against... ok, so how about that marathon?"

I guess I'm from the tennis school of commentary. Minimal chatter and focus on what's going on for the most part.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Eklund gets his tips from Pierre.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

As far as Micheletti being too boring or obvious (or retarded?) I think is a function of him working for MSG network. He's not really in the position to bash the team and either is Sam for that matter -- even though Sam has a little more leeway in what he can say considering his tenure with the network. Also understand that MSG wants to promote the team to potential new fans, and you turn people off when all you talk about is stuff those "in the know" would understand. Micheletti definitely can oversimplify sometimes, but he's an emotional guy just like Sam. I think he's smart and knows his hockey -- he just gets overexcited sometimes and blurts stuff out.

Pierre on the other hand is like the opposite. He knows so much that it becomes distracting too. I actually really like him because I'm a hockey nerd, and enjoy his in depth analysis complete with the right jargon and all the background information on players. But at times, (like during games), it distracts me from the action on the ice. He and Eddie or Doc bantering about this and that takes away from the excitement of, say a team scoring a goal...

During intermissions, stoppages, replays, or even in pre/post games I really enjoy what Pierre has to say. It's funny, when he interviews a coach during the game he's breaking down strategy with the coach: "So, coach, I noticed your team utilizing the 1-2-2 late in that period -- did you feel like you needed to protect that lead and not have the D pinch much going into the 3rd?" -- no casual/new fan would understand what the hell that means, but I certainly do and that's why I like him.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
As far as Micheletti being too boring or obvious (or retarded?) I think is a function of him working for MSG network. He's not really in the position to bash the team and either is Sam for that matter -- even though Sam has a little more leeway in what he can say considering his tenure with the network. Also understand that MSG wants to promote the team to potential new fans, and you turn people off when all you talk about is stuff those "in the know" would understand. Micheletti definitely can oversimplify sometimes, but he's an emotional guy just like Sam. I think he's smart and knows his hockey -- he just gets overexcited sometimes and blurts stuff out.
Agreed. Anyone remember Micheletti's first few months as analyst? He clashed with Sam repeatedly because Joe was a realist on a lot of calls/plays. I guess he adjusted a bit after all those awkward moments.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Pierre on the other hand is like the opposite. He knows so much that it becomes distracting too. I actually really like him because I'm a hockey nerd, and enjoy his in depth analysis complete with the right jargon and all the background information on players. But at times, (like during games), it distracts me from the action on the ice. He and Eddie or Doc bantering about this and that takes away from the excitement of, say a team scoring a goal...

During intermissions, stoppages, replays, or even in pre/post games I really enjoy what Pierre has to say. It's funny, when he interviews a coach during the game he's breaking down strategy with the coach: "So, coach, I noticed your team utilizing the 1-2-2 late in that period -- did you feel like you needed to protect that lead and not have the D pinch much going into the 3rd?" -- no casual/new fan would understand what the hell that means, but I certainly do and that's why I like him.
I agree. I think a lot of the people who criticize Pierre know not of what he speaks. He likes to talk about college or junior teams players came from, who coached them in the past, etc. He knows these things and how they currently relate, but for the crowd who knows nothing of the NHL except their team, they think he just talks too much.

For me, the more insight the better.