HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need more grit?

Old
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
bendersauce

vCash: 500
Do we need more grit?

I kinda get the feeling that we have to much skill in our bottom 6. I know sounds stupid to have to much skill but really the only sand paper we have is rinaldo and talbot. simmonds and hartnell were not particularly hard to play against this post season and there really isnt anyone else on the roster(forwards) that fills that role. we have a ton of skill but we had nothing to match new jersey's intensity and physicality.

maybe im over reacting because we are about to lose the series but i think adding one or two more talbot type players(although bigger) to the line up might help out next year. i know we have some guys in the system to fill that role but i would like to see someone with some experience.

bendersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Stranger Danger
the

I want a nasty d-man!

Stranger Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicBRYZ View Post
I want a nasty d-man!
We need healthy D-men. Coburn, Grossman, Mez and MAB can be nasty at times, but all but one hasn't been hurt this year.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Swiper the Fox

i'm sure t his summer there are going to be even more blockbuster moves
i'm sure theres going to be like 6 players going straight to surgery after this one
simmonds had to be hurt , he wasn't hitting anything out there
jvr clearly has a foot issue
jagr is still an outstanding player , regular season, but come playoffs, its just too much on him
wellwood "the flash " definitely deserves more ice-time
hartnell must have been beat up too
he only had 2 or 3 hits

as much as i hate the devils, i hate rangers more !!

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Lucky Luke

We need a goalie who isn't a basketcase.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Flyrs21

They need to make the players take an IQ test because a few of them are very stupid

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendersauce View Post
I kinda get the feeling that we have to much skill in our bottom 6. I know sounds stupid to have to much skill but really the only sand paper we have is rinaldo and talbot. simmonds and hartnell were not particularly hard to play against this post season and there really isnt anyone else on the roster(forwards) that fills that role. we have a ton of skill but we had nothing to match new jersey's intensity and physicality.

maybe im over reacting because we are about to lose the series but i think adding one or two more talbot type players(although bigger) to the line up might help out next year. i know we have some guys in the system to fill that role but i would like to see someone with some experience.
Didn't we trade an experienced guy who normally played with grit and sandpaper and is doing so again this year in the western conference finals?

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:21 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

No we don't need more grit, we need to stop playing pond hockey. A defense first system will produce consistent, deep runs. The most telling thing is in the last two playoff seasons under Lavy, we are 0-13 when we score less than 4 goals.

This team is not built, and does not play a system to win tight checking, low scoring playoff games.

The prosecution rests.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
didn't we trade an experienced guy who normally played with grit and sandpaper and is doing so again this year in the western conference finals?
we don't talk about that we're obviously better off duh.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:39 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
No we don't need more grit, we need to stop playing pond hockey. A defense first system will produce consistent, deep runs. The most telling thing is in the last two playoff seasons under Lavy, we are 0-13 when we score less than 4 goals.

This team is not built, and does not play a system to win tight checking, low scoring playoff games.
This is correct. IF we can't score 4 we don't know what to do.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Need more jam and less grit

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

We technically got bigger this year, but our big guys weren't gritty. Jagr skewed our forward's size. Schenn, Couturier, Voracek, Simmonds certainly all helped, but they aren't huge either.

Someone like Gaustad would really help in the offseason.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
We need a d man that will play dirty all the time and harass other teams constantly.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Yes we do. NJ pretty much showed how soft this lineup is. They got dominated along the boards. Our bottom 6 are all finesse players besides Talbot.

Our defesne is also soft. We need a more physical presence back there that we miss with Pronger.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
DumpyD

I love threads like this where everyone agrees but in a week the "resign Jagr" and "maybe Briere as captain?!" talks come right back up. Not exactly contributing to grittiness and strong board play.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:40 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
I love threads like this where everyone agrees but in a week the "resign Jagr" and "maybe Briere as captain?!" talks come right back up. Not exactly contributing to grittiness and strong board play.
Maybe not once what they used to be, but Jagr and Briere are incredible on the boards. Jagr used to be the absolute best. Lack of grit =/= bad board play.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

The prosecution rests.
Whoa. You're right, that's the most telling stat of all. If Lavy and Homer don't know that already, someone needs to bring it to their attention.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:36 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Whoa. You're right, that's the most telling stat of all. If Lavy and Homer don't know that already, someone needs to bring it to their attention.
Trust me, they know it.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:50 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Trust me, they know it.
Whoosh!

05-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Mgkibbles

Wouldn't hurt.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:07 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Whoosh!
Whoosh!

Old
05-09-2012, 02:02 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Need more jam and less grit
Flyers are one a team that have the most jam in the league. The problem is they don't intimidate anybody on their first two lines. Losing Richards was a big loss. Get Getzlav.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:32 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Do we need Grit? Yes

But this series also exposed a huge weakness and that is team speed believe it or not.

The flyers demised came from our inability to get the puck out of the zone, alot of people blamed it on lack of passing, which is true but when i went back and looked at how the devils got the puck out of their zone they usually threw it up the boards or skated it out of the zone.

We currently have only 2 players who are fast and skilled enough to carry the puck out of our zone. Voracek and Coburn. That is it, not even giroux was capable of getting it out of our zone.

In hindsight, maybe we were spoiled by Carter's effortless ability to skate the puck out of the zone. That skill is something that our centerman are lacking and the devils exposed it consistently.

Also our board play was pathetic. ZUBRUS and VOLCHENKOV dominated us. Yes they may be soft euro's cause they dont fight but they kicked our ass time and time again. We have no forwards who are strong on the boards other than Hartnell, and to be honest he isnt the best board player. JVR, Simmonds, and Voracek are large wingers but their board play is inferior to that of danny briere. who is our second best board guy.

These two areas are where the devils killed us, they exploited two obvious weaknesses and there was nothing we could do about it.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
in the post game interview they asked jagr why they lost and he said the board play. They dominated it. That is where having some nice size on the 4th line can really help a team out.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:35 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:

That says it all

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote