HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

ECSF #5|May 8, 2012|Devils at Flyers |7:30 p.m. ET

Old
05-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps Lock View Post
neutral fan here.....
Not understanding all the Bryz hate......from the games Ive watched hes been one of the bright points.
People can't get past it...

He can put up a 50 save game with 1 goal against and that goal will be considered weak..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
So are we taking bets on what GM will overpay for him?
I'll bet Holmgren

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
I'm not usually on the "no heart" or "no effort" train...but my god, that was one of the most uninspiring, lackadaisical efforts I've ever seen in the 3rd period of a elimination game trailing by only one goal.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Devils saying Brodeur was great...guy hardly tested

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
People can't get past it...

He can put up a 50 save game with 1 goal against and that goal will be considered weak..
No, it wont.

However, the many games where he put up 3-5 goals this year with 2-3 of them being all on him are a different story. He had a really bad year, and his postseason can only be described as underwhelming and inconsistent. He hasn't come close to being the rock in net that this team has missed for decades.

drownedsailors

I wasn't sure if they were going to make it to the Playoffs this year...I actually think in some ways they overachieved this year...it still sucks losing

This was a pretty good learning experience for our young players, but our D seriously needs some retooling.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Devonator

Well my fellow Flyer fans....this is very disappointing and unsuspected after that great Pen series....I really thought we would have no problem with Jersey as we have dealt with them in the past most successfully!

However, we have a great young team going forward and we do have assets that can be traded for a solid defenceman.....or better yet, we make a serious run at Suter in the off season....either way, we know something will be done with our defence and rightly so....

Also, I do not think Byrz was all that bad in this series....he was not the root of our problem here at all.....hopefully he can have a better year next year.....

Can you honestly imagine a final with Jersey and the Coyotes? That would be disastrous for this great game......

Anyways, at least we are a young talented team going forward....we will be fighting for the Cup for years to come....

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
freakydallas13

there are a long list of things you can point out as blame in this game:

Jagr - Without Giroux to leech off, he has really shown his age. He looks slower, older, more reluctant to go deep and battle for a puck. I don't know how many times there was possession in the offensive zone only to see Jagr figure skating around waiting for a pass. He might have something left in the tank, but his final chance shouldn't be here.

Giroux - Why, oh why, is he making hits like last game that are at best borderline suspension worthy. I know he was frustrated about the non call about playing the puck in the trapezoid, but you are the go-to guy for this team. You should NOT put yourself in a position where you can't play for your team, especially considering the circumstances.

Bryz - He had the one gaff, but overall played well in this series. I don't know why Timmonen decided to pass the puck back to him, but that was a terrible back breaking goal to give up. He showed huge improvement in this series, only to flush it down the toilet on that play.

JVR - That penalty was a pretty BS call, but you just can't do that. For all the heat Bryz is getting for losing the season on his bad goal, I think people should be looking at this penalty as the real nail in the coffin. At least after Bryz's mistake the Flyers had over 2 periods of hockey to score ONE goal. But after JVR took that penalty and Kovy scored like 5 seconds into the PP the season was officially over.

Lavi - Im not sure what he could have done to change this series, but he was clearly out coached. For starters, don't keep playing Jagr when all he ever does is avoid the corners like the plague and keep taking shots 40 feet over the opposing net. Also, its clear that Lavi's system is not meant for the current NHL. A Cup winning coach he may be, but clearly the way to win in the NHL is not to have a talent laden team, but just get everyone to buy into a defense first system (look at all the teams left in the playoffs). Its sad, but boring no chance suffocating hockey is clearly the way to go.

Thank god Homer signed Talbot though, he looked like one of the few flyers who gave a **** throughout the entire playoffs.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
gordie

Now be sure Flyer fans to make your way over to the Devils boards like you did the Pens boards and wish them luck in the next round like you expected us to do for you in this round. Have a nice summer!!!!

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicBRYZ View Post
I hope your trolling and don't really believe that Richards and Carter were the heart and soul of this team. Really, you wanna know why Richards is doing well? Because he is a complimentary player in L.A. and it works great. Carter is a bum. The flyers got younger, and more production out of the players they got back. And getting younger is not a bad thing. And I know no other goalie in the league ever lets in a bad goal, so obviously Bryzgalov is terrible.
People forget how uninterested Richards always looked off the ice. He just wasnt captain material. Carter was always a disappearing act in the playoffs.

I know this hurts now, but the team is young and outperformed this seasons expectations.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:24 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I'm not usually on the "no heart" or "no effort" train...but my god, that was one of the most uninspiring, lackadaisical efforts I've ever seen in the 3rd period of a elimination game trailing by only one goal.
JVRs penalty and ensuing Devil PP goal just deflated everything.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Lurch

vCash: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicBRYZ View Post
I hope your trolling and don't really believe that Richards and Carter were the heart and soul of this team. Really, you wanna know why Richards is doing well? Because he is a complimentary player in L.A. and it works great. Carter is a bum. The flyers got younger, and more production out of the players they got back. And getting younger is not a bad thing. And I know no other goalie in the league ever lets in a bad goal, so obviously Bryzgalov is terrible.
Lol at the "bad goal" he let in. He scored an "own goal" that was not only the game winner but the season ended. A bit more dramatic than a run of the mill bad goal.

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
nevesis

Why didn't Laviolette start Bob?

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

In like a lion, out like a lamb.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Why didn't Laviolette start Bob?
why would he?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
People forget how uninterested Richards always looked off the ice. He just wasnt captain material. Carter was always a disappearing act in the playoffs.

I know this hurts now, but the team is young and outperformed this seasons expectations.
The loss does not hurt as much as the way they lost.

But, you are right they have esceeded the expectations otherwise

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Lol at the "bad goal" he let in. He scored an "own goal" that was not only the game winner but the season ended. A bit more dramatic than a run of the mill bad goal.
Flyers scored ONE goal the entire game, nuff said.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
BringBackStevens

Team has serious holes that were obvious even before this series.

Still, just how bad they were is shocking.

also, bryzgalov blows. Next 8 years will be fun

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
And did not have that many chances to score more than one. They were shut down, and were not able to solve it.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:33 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Bryz has got to be better, but do not blame this series on him. He was one of the best Flyers in this round.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:33 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Bryz had ONE goal, but it won the game for the Devils.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Bryz had ONE goal, but it won the game for the Devils.
You can't see the forest behind the trees, can you?

Old
05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Devils saying Brodeur was great...guy hardly tested
Once again, not allowing bad or soft goals is equally if not more important than being "tested." It only takes one shot to let it happen. Marty hasn't done it since game 1.

How do you think the bench felt after watching the Clarkson debacle? At least try to be objective.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Even though that goal happened, the Kovy goal happened as well, so it doesn't matter that it went in, we still only scored 1 on our own and they scored 2.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:36 PM
manisback121

I'm not here to flame, but hate to say you guys are gonna cause more fight over years to come. I've seen my team go through many a season where they were the favorite get through the first round then get k'od by the rags, canes etc.

I hate to see a core developing in Philly like in NY, but with time you guys will see more. You guys are a goalie and a defensive leader away.

That's not too shabby, no one likes a season to end early but you did take advantage of the pens...an accomplishment within itself.

manisback121 is offline   Reply With Quote