HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Other improbable wins?

Old
05-08-2012, 06:47 PM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
This site is called Flyers history, but it has game summaries for all teams going way back.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19740017

Canadiens went up 2-1 5:24 into the third on a goal by Murray Wilson. Rangers tied it with 16 seconds left. You were right, the goal was MacGregor from Park and Stemkowski. At 4:07 of the first OT, Harris scored... the lone assist was to Stemkowski. Good memory.

No points for Gilbert. At that point, he had 0 goals and 2 assists. I wonder if Rangers fans today would've been as hard on him as they are on Gaborik. Gilbert ended up with 3 goals, 5 assists in 13 games. I don't see Vic Hadfield's name on the summaries surrounding those games. Looking at the stats, he played in 6 games that playoffs while everyone else played in 13. I'm assuming he was injured in the first round?
Just shows that when you have been a Ranger fan as long as I have, you have seen everything and been put through the emotional wringer over and over. There is one thing that I've only seen once and would love to see again but, shhh, I not even going to think about it.

Things were so much different in those prehistoric days before 24 hour sports stations, cable, the net, message boards, etc. Even the TV broadcasts were low key affairs with no pre and post game shows. You hardly ever saw interviews with players or knew as much about them as we do today.

One thing hasn't changed: the noise at MSG for playoff games. I was a season ticket holder in the blues back then and it was loud beyond belief. Just like today.

Ron Harris: a fireplug of a tough guy who could play both forward and defense. Bruce MacGregor; speedy RW on the third line with Stemmer and Ted Irvine. I think he may still be scouting with Edmonton.

I remember watching that game on my small 13' portable black and white TV. Just the way all you younger guys will remember last nights win for a long time, I remember that one. Don't remember if Hadfield was hurt: he surely must have been.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:49 PM
pavelich

Here's another improbable oldie, a game I went to in Philly with my Dad and brother. I was 16 and my Dad let me buy the tickets from the Spectrum over the phone using his credit card, a revolutionary use of technology at the time.

April 10, 1982 Game 3 of the Patrick division semis. Series was 1-1 after the first two games at MSG.

Boxscore: http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin...re.cgi?1982003

Game started with a bang as Ron Duguay and some dope named Bob Hoffmeyer got in an early fight and each got 5, 10 and a game. Philly crowd was going nuts as they absolutely hated Duguay. Our seats were in the last row of the balcony at the Spectrum and it was literally shaking. The Flyers scored 3 goals and were up 3-0 after 1.

Rangers started to play better though and began the comeback in the 2nd on goals by Mike Rogers, Reijo Ruotsalainen and Don Maloney.

My main memory of the third period is that it was fairly equal but the Flyers had the better chances and Eddie Mio played great. Just when OT looked inevitable Cam Connor (who I'd completely forgotten about till now) scored the winner with 1:09 to go. Place was stunned except the maybe about 50 Rangers fans, pre-Stubhub days remember.

NYR closed out the series the next night. Loved those early '80s Herb Brooks teams. Beck, Pavelich, McClanahan, Allison, Fotiu, Silk etc.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Game 3 vs. Ottawa.

Dominated for 60 minutes, Henrik steals the game.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:57 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I have seen a ton of Rangers games over the years, but in my mind, at least recently, the most improbable wins I can remember was last year against Boston. That and the 3 goals in 90 seconds against the Devils. Those were 2 wins that I didn't see coming at ALL and ones I thoroughly enjoyed.

But the Boston one was a must win last year, and I went absolutely ape **** during the tying and winning goals. Literally stripped down nude and ran around the apartment screaming like a maniac and did a naked hand stand on the bed while my wife was sitting on it, watching TV. She looked at me like, "WTF is wrong with you?"

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:05 PM
folding
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post
I found an article with a recap of that game.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-12-...-past-capitals
That game was absolutely sick. I remember it like it happened yesterday. I still get chills when I think of it. PURE ELATION.

folding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:29 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Game 3 vs. Ottawa.

Dominated for 60 minutes, Henrik steals the game.
If 30 weak shots count as dominating. There were more good chances in yesterday's game, despite the 18 shots.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
thewaitingisover

Not sure if it was posted, but against Boston a few years ago, down by 1 with like 10 seconds left Zherdev sniped a shot for the tie and I believe we won in OT? Not 100% on the facts but I remember going nuts

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaitingisover View Post
Not sure if it was posted, but against Boston a few years ago, down by 1 with like 10 seconds left Zherdev sniped a shot for the tie and I believe we won in OT? Not 100% on the facts but I remember going nuts
It was against Pittsburgh and we won in a shootout. Yes, it was posted.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Not playoffs but in the regular season, the Rangers were losing 6-1 to the Caps in Washington after the first period and came back to win 8-6. It was in the early 90's.
I believe that was an afternoon game. Turns out is was a night game

I'm irish, my wife is italian, they have something called the malurke or some crazy voo doo crap that I didn't believe in.

For sits and giggles, I asked to put the evil eye on the Caps and watched as the Rangers come back to win that game.

I have been deathly afraid of my wife ever since.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
DaBadGuy7

Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7

DaBadGuy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Last year iwas at MSG for the 5 3 comebackvs Boston. Amazing.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I believe that was an afternoon game. Turns out is was a night game

I'm irish, my wife is italian, they have something called the malurke or some crazy voo doo crap that I didn't believe in.

For sits and giggles, I asked to put the evil eye on the Caps and watched as the Rangers come back to win that game.

I have been deathly afraid of my wife ever since.
Maloiche! "the horns" or "little horn", the "evil eye" a curse.

05-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beezer View Post
Does anyone remember another such improbable win by the Blueshirts in their history? The closest thing that I could think of was being down 2-0 in game 6 to the Devils in 1994.

You would think that this game will end up on their list of greatest wins of all time. Where it ranks probably depends on how far they end up going.

Thoughts?
I had devils season tickets. Could never get Rangers tickets back in those days, a friend calls me right before the start of the season. They had 4 guys going in on devils season (4 seats) tickets and one guy dropped out at the last minute. Would I take a share? I was 2 years into starting my company and had some success. I could invite customers and write it off. (what I told my wife).

My buddy (not the devils tickets guy), and hard core Rangers fan, busted my chops to no end.

I took him to Game 6.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:26 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBadGuy7 View Post
I wish we still had Zherdev. How many current Rangers can score like that?

Old
05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I wish we still had Zherdev. How many current Rangers can score like that?
Seriously? LOL! Dangle at the blue line and turn it over for how many odd man rushes the other way? He sucks and that's why he is not in the NHL. I used to be a fan until I got to see him on an everyday basis. You wish for Zherdev but you crap on Hank? Really?

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:56 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
I have seen a ton of Rangers games over the years, but in my mind, at least recently, the most improbable wins I can remember was last year against Boston. That and the 3 goals in 90 seconds against the Devils. Those were 2 wins that I didn't see coming at ALL and ones I thoroughly enjoyed.

But the Boston one was a must win last year, and I went absolutely ape **** during the tying and winning goals. Literally stripped down nude and ran around the apartment screaming like a maniac and did a naked hand stand on the bed while my wife was sitting on it, watching TV. She looked at me like, "WTF is wrong with you?"
Yeah...my wife married a retard too : )

Not the Rangers..but early in the 2000's it was the Kings and Wings. Playoffs. 3rd period. Wings up 3-0 with under ten left.

Kings win 4-3.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:21 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Seriously? LOL! Dangle at the blue line and turn it over for how many odd man rushes the other way? He sucks and that's why he is not in the NHL. I used to be a fan until I got to see him on an everyday basis. You wish for Zherdev but you crap on Hank? Really?
Those 2 players are nothing alike. I don't crap on Hank because I think he's a bad player. I crap on him because I think he can be even better than he is.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Those 2 players are nothing alike. I don't crap on Hank because I think he's a bad player. I crap on him because I think he can be even better than he is.
You're right. There not. One is a Hart and Vezina finalist and the other can't get a job in the NHL.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:35 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
You're right. There not. One is a Hart and Vezina finalist and the other can't get a job in the NHL.
But we already have Lundqvist we can use another winger with offensive skill, we're short on that.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
But we already have Lundqvist we can use another winger with offensive skill, we're short on that.
Oh, I agree but Nikolai Zherdev is NOT the answer. He's not cut out for the NHL. His game is best suited to the KHL or if there was a hockey equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Maloiche! "the horns" or "little horn", the "evil eye" a curse.
It's "malocchio", literally "evil eye".

mal = bad/evil
occhio = eye

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Reijo R

On topic, maybe not an improbable win, but I'll never forget January 27, 1994 in Los Angeles. I've written about this one before. Tied in OT after the NYR blew a 4-1 lead, for some odd reason, Kings RW Tony Granato decided to step off the bench to stop a Rangers 3-on-2 rush with less than 15 seconds left. He got caught and the refs correctly ruled a penalty shot. Tony Amonte got the call, came in and fired a wrister that Kelly Hrudey gloved, and Amonte skated away dejected. So what did The Captain do (do I really need to mention his name?) He won the face off in the Kings zone, the puck got to Zubov's stick, who fired a low slapper, which produced the rebound The Captain tucked between Hrudey's legs with 1.5 seconds left. Magical game in a magical season.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Not playoffs but in the regular season, the Rangers were losing 6-1 to the Caps in Washington after the first period and came back to win 8-6. It was in the early 90's.
Wow, I was young, but I still have a recollection of this game. Kris King scored a big goal, I think.

They actually came back and tied it 6-6 pretty early, I think, then went on to win later. For some reason I had it in my head that they actually tied it at 6 IN the first period, but that's probably not right if you guys remember otherwise.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:23 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Wow, I was young, but I still have a recollection of this game. Kris King scored a big goal, I think.

They actually came back and tied it 6-6 pretty early, I think, then went on to win later. For some reason I had it in my head that they actually tied it at 6 IN the first period, but that's probably not right if you guys remember otherwise.
A link was posted, apparently they made it 6-2 in the 1st and 6-3 after 2 and tied and went ahead in the 3rd.

Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 05-09-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old
05-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
A link was posted, apparently they made it 6-2 in the 3rd and 6-3 after 2 and tied and went ahead in the 3rd.
Well I WAS young! Didn't realize 'Don' Turcotte scored a goal in that game. LOL

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote