HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF #5|May 8, 2012|Devils at Flyers |7:30 p.m. ET

Old
05-08-2012, 10:40 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Bryz has got to be better, but do not blame this series on him. He was one of the best Flyers in this round.
That's not saying much.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:41 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
You can't see the forest behind the trees, can you?
I'm not blaming the series on him, but the excuses are ridiculous. You honestly expect me to hold Read, Wellwood, Couts, Gus and Schenn to the same expectation as a $51,000,000 decade long vet.? Bryz did not steal one game, and he is held to a higher standard due to his contract. The Flyers paid him to have less excuses for the goalie position; however, there are more excuses than ever.

If there is an amnesty clause in the new CBA, it 100% has to be Bryz.

Jagr, Giroux, Jake and Hartnell were either terrible or below average, but none of them are paid as a top three player at their position.

Bryz took the big contract and he deserves all the criticism that comes with it.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:42 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
That's not saying much.
That's the biggest frustration- the fact that Bryz, as inconsistent as he was, was the best Flyer in the series.

CSKA1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:47 PM
skoods

They scored first in every game this series that they lost if I'm not mistaken.

skoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I'm not blaming the series on him, but the excuses are ridiculous. You honestly expect me to hold Read, Wellwood, Couts, Gus and Schenn to the same expectation as a $51,000,000 decade long vet.? Bryz did not steal one game, and he is held to a higher standard due to his contract. The Flyers paid him to have less excuses for the goalie position; however, there are more excuses than ever.

If there is an amnesty clause in the new CBA, it 100% has to be Bryz.

Jagr, Giroux, Jake and Hartnell were either terrible or below average, but none of them are paid as a top three player at their position.

Bryz took the big contract and he deserves all the criticism that comes with it.
Bryz took the big contract because it was given to him. I doubt he even had to negotiate.

However, contracts (his or Brier's or Kimo's (who was involved in gWG in games 4 and 5) do not play hockey. You would not expect the player to play just for the amount he is paid. You would not expect Wellwood saying: " I am only paid $900,00- I am not going backchecking". Contracts are signed, sealed , delivered. After that, the humans do their job.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Xoggz22

Just wanted to thank all the Flyers fans for the hospitality. I think I should have left my CBJ O'Voracek St. Patricks jersey at home. I tried to help. Anyway, I appreciate meeting some of you and being part of the game experience. Closest I'll come to a playoff game as a CBJ fan for a few years I would imagine.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:58 PM
eaglesfan

Anyone see Jagr's Post Game? Said this was his favorite year as a pro...best organization he's been a part of from the top to the last man on the roster.

eaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:02 PM
TimeParadox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
Can you imagine the SC Final ratings if its a Phoenix/NJ matchup?

Please, you are scaring me.
Btw, I wanted you guys to win.

TimeParadox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
God, I hope the east wins the cup.

Mr Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:08 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Watching this series was like being ****ed in the ass twice with a double sided pitchfork.

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Fred Murtz

Last 2 minutes of game, handshakes

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:24 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Bryz took the big contract because it was given to him. I doubt he even had to negotiate.

However, contracts (his or Brier's or Kimo's (who was involved in gWG in games 4 and 5) do not play hockey. You would not expect the player to play just for the amount he is paid. You would not expect Wellwood saying: " I am only paid $900,00- I am not going backchecking". Contracts are signed, sealed , delivered. After that, the humans do their job.
So, I should expect the same out of Bryz as I expect out of Leighton?

Old
05-08-2012, 11:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Once again, not allowing bad or soft goals is equally if not more important than being "tested." It only takes one shot to let it happen. Marty hasn't done it since game 1.

How do you think the bench felt after watching the Clarkson debacle? At least try to be objective.
Im annoyed ok...Im allowed. Your points are valid but again going forward what Brodeur did wont be enough but that is my subjective opinion

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
nope, im pretty sure Leights never potted an own goal in a crucial elimination goal..

but i get what ur saying.. i cant talk hockey with people who think contract amounts shouldnt affect a players play..

if there was no cap, then maybe its a valid point but in a cap-era, its sheer lunacy to suggest a players play isnt/shouldnt be directly compared to their salary/contract.

cue rick Dipi in the NYI.. surely no one thinks hes worth what they pay him based on his performance since getting that juicy contract.

but then again there are a few here who would prolly say its irrelevent.. hahaahh

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:47 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Just wanted to thank all the Flyers fans for the hospitality. I think I should have left my CBJ O'Voracek St. Patricks jersey at home. I tried to help. Anyway, I appreciate meeting some of you and being part of the game experience. Closest I'll come to a playoff game as a CBJ fan for a few years I would imagine.
Glad you enjoyed it...hope you don't have the sterotypical philly fan as you're expierence.... hopefully cbj recovers, not right to the fans to have such inept upper management

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:00 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

I've actually been defending Bryzgalov on the Clarkson goal. Everyone in the known hockey universe seems to be destroying Bryzgalov over that goal, but why isnt Timonen getting at least 50% of the abuse?

He KNOWS his goalie isnt very skilled at handling the puck, and yet he plays it back to his goalie?

Worse? Timonen wasn't really under much pressure and had at least 2 or 3 other "out" options on that play other than passing to his own goalie.

Even worse still? Timonen, a defenseman, then just allows Clarkson COMPLETE access to his goalie, while he inexplicably just peels off away into the corner for some bizarre reason. Timonen absolutely leaves Bryzgalov out to dry. NBC Sports was absolutely SAVAGING Bryzgalov after the game, but IMO, he was probably the Flyers best player this series. He stole Game 1 for sure, kept the Flyers in Game 3, and then he almost stole Game 4 as well. I feel bad for the guy for all the media taking a crap on him.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ed-share-video

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:05 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Not impressed with Laviolette's press conference after the game I just caught on the NHL network. Basically from my interpretation he really had no clue how to counteract the Devils. Like he said it was a "different series" yet he didn't know how to adjust differently IMO. They also asked him why he couldn't figure out how to beat the Rangers which was interesting...

I personally think the Devils just watched tape of Tampa and Rangers and had the players to employ similar strategies to a T due to personnel with 4 strong lines. ...

Oh and he also acknowledged how much of a killer that 2nd goal was for morale......regardless of whose fault it was although it was a shared screw up between Timonen and Bryz IMO...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I think you guys should be proud of your team.

You knocked off the Pens without Pronger and an underrated Meszaros (and JVR).

The Devils just seem to match up better vs your team, it happens.
Had you had Pronger and Mesz, would've probably been a different story.

I think you can be excited about all the young guys and maybe another year of Jagr and Timmonen to help them develop and you'll likely be set for the foreseeable future (especially if you land a Suter or someone if Pronger's done).

Oh, and the hate on Bryzgalov is a joke.
Whether people admit it or not, he was Philly's best player this series.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:00 AM
hof2120

Today (well yesterday now technically), started out bad. Lost all my work for a final project, had to redo all of it. Started at 8 am, stopped to watch the Flyers pregame/game. Then the game happened. Now I have to finish it up by 8 am. I want to punch things but I don't have the strength. Man, these past 17 hours have sucked. **** college and **** the Devils.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:33 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
People can't get past it...

He can put up a 50 save game with 1 goal against and that goal will be considered weak..
Bryz is a scapegoat who allows them to ignore the faults of their heroes. So long as he can be blamed there's no need to question Lavi or Giroux or Timonen or Hartnell or any among the sacred cows.

Life in Philly

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Bryz is a scapegoat who allows them to ignore the faults of their heroes. So long as he can be blamed there's no need to question Lavi or Giroux or Timonen or Hartnell or any among the sacred cows.

Life in Philly
Or, we could get the production Bryz provides with most goalies at 2 mil per year instead of 6.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:44 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
No, because Leighton is not an NHL goalie. And you should be comparing the skill set, not the amount of money paid.

Just a few samples:

Roo vs. Briere (contracts are different....expectations?). Do you really think that t
he difference in contract reflect the difference in players?

Then JVR has to be 3 times better than Read, Wellwood etc.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:24 AM
BringBackStevens

Forget the contract if you want. Bryz has high expectations regardless. anyone saying he lived up to them this season is living in a fantasy world or doesn't watch hockey outside of Philadelphia

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
No, because Leighton is not an NHL goalie. And you should be comparing the skill set, not the amount of money paid.

Just a few samples:

Roo vs. Briere (contracts are different....expectations?). Do you really think that t
he difference in contract reflect the difference in players?

Then JVR has to be 3 times better than Read, Wellwood etc.
I don't understand what is so difficult to understand about someones pay (athlete, salesperson, physician, construction worker) being set based upon their performance history and expectation of performance in the future.

Giroux - outperforms his contract, and might be the best value in the NHL.

Briere - Seemed like a steep contract at first, but his postseason performances have justified the cost.

JVR - The Org. paid him based on what they expect him to be, and so far he has shown the ability to get injured frequently. We don't really know what JVR is yet.

Rookies - Subject to pay scale. They could overachieve or underachieve, but ultimately they are rookies finding their way.

Bryz - 11/12 year vet, part of a SC winning team, showed strong play in Phoenix for years and paid by the Flyers with the expectation he continues that level of play.

Bryz has been a terrible value and has shown nothing that one would expect from a goalie of his supposed skill level. There are obviously holes in this team created by injuries, but the Flyers bought a high end goaltender to cover for those inevitable injuries.

I cant fault Bryz for taking the contract, and half of the problem is the Flyers throwing that money at him; however, once he accepts the contract he is held to the expectations the contract demands.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Forget the contract if you want. Bryz has high expectations regardless. anyone saying he lived up to them this season is living in a fantasy world or doesn't watch hockey outside of Philadelphia
That I completely agree with. 100% accurate statement.

It has been proven times and times again by many research projects in the various industries that amount of compensation does not directly correlate with the quality of outcomes. Otherwise, there would not be wrong side surgeries, businesses going out of business, failed investments etc.