HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Roster

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2012, 08:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Time to make this very relevant .

Old
05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If Phoenix got Rundblad for Turris, who do you think we can get for JVR?

Old
05-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
A few points on some UFAs:

Supposedly 30 teams want Justin Schultz. But if that is the case, he will likely get max rookie bonuses and have a cap hit of 3.775mm.

Zenon Konopka or Jim Slater might be a cheaper option than Gaustad or Pahlsson.

Stuart, Jackman, Salvador are all decent options on D if Suter cannot be obtained.

I would take Wideman at 1mm more than Garrison given his track record. Garrison could be next year's Leino.

It would not surprise me if Homer signed Tootoo. Just because.

Does it really matter until they settle the new CBA and determine if there will be a bonus cushion or not?

Old
05-08-2012, 09:21 PM
strokumvt

Trade

This is my first post so hear me out. Would it possible to trade for Weber and then sign Suter? I do not own NHL so no I didn't try this on the trade thing lol. Timo (I know he has a NTC but beg him to allow a trade for the good of the organization? lol), JVR (or insert another forward here), and a 1st and/or 2nd for Weber. Sign Suter. The cap hit relief from Timo, JVR, Carle and Pronger (assume done for career) easily cover the Weber and Suter signings. Lock up our long term D which we very clearly need. Flame away.

EDIT: Actually second post because I can't count past 0.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokumvt View Post
This is my first post so hear me out. Would it possible to trade for Weber and then sign Suter? I do not own NHL so no I didn't try this on the trade thing lol. Timo (I know he has a NTC but beg him to allow a trade for the good of the organization? lol), JVR (or insert another forward here), and a 1st and/or 2nd for Weber. Sign Suter. The cap hit relief from Timo, JVR, Carle and Pronger (assume done for career) easily cover the Weber and Suter signings. Lock up our long term D which we very clearly need. Flame away.

EDIT: Actually second post because I can't count past 0.
Its unlikely that NSH loses both of these guys. If they plan to lose Suter, they will keep Weber unless he doesn't want to be there.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:40 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Would really like to see the Flyers try to acquire Ryan Suter and Jonathan Blum. If we can't get Suter, at least try to get Blum. Blum is a right-handed shot I would imagine the Predators would be interested in JVR and hopefully JVR has a decent amount of value if we were to try to trade him, so we could possibly get even more than just Jon Blum...

Grossmann-Coburn should be our 2nd pairing next year. Timonen should be on the 1st pair with whoever we go out and get. I truly believe we should go with #8, #5, #44 and #41 in our starting 6 with #26 as our 7th defensemen. Bury Lilja. I stress nothing more than we should be trying hard to acquire two stud defensemen if we want a legitimate shot at the Cup next year. Maybe not Ryan Suter, but two players who can move the puck and play legitimate defense. At least one right-handed shot, or we're ****ed.

---

Would also like to see Briere moved to the wing. Sadly, Couturier will probably be the 3rd line center used in a checking role and matched up against the toughest opponents otherwise I would love to see a Talbot-Couts-Briere line, especially if we continued with this run-n-gun style. A line of Hartnell-Schenn-Briere could be effective, though. JVR-Giroux-Simmonds/Voracek might be nice, too.

Furthermore, we have 8 wingers who should all be seeing decent minutes next year (Read & Wellwood included in this). Should we trade one of them -- JVR, Simmonds or Read -- and try to get some defense? I would like to see a 4th line with Rinaldo-x-Wellwood with a free agent signing as the centerman (Gaustad, Slater, etc.) unless they think Ben Holmstrom can come in.

---

If there is a way to move Bryzgalov and acquire someone like Jon Bernier, DO IT HOMER! Would rather do that than suffer through another year with that clown in net, and not just because of his ****** goaltending. Guy is a headcase, needs to get out of that locker room!

Old
05-08-2012, 09:43 PM
strokumvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Its unlikely that NSH loses both of these guys. If they plan to lose Suter, they will keep Weber unless he doesn't want to be there.
Well I doubt they plan on losing Suter but if they did it would show that they don't have the power to keep Weber as well. I had read/heard somewhere (and please anyone correct me if I am wrong) that if Suter leaves then Weber would most likely leave as well (or at least try/force) because it would show that NSH isn't heading in the right direction.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:53 PM
MillerTime2181

Suter. Suter. Suter.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:55 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokumvt View Post
Well I doubt they plan on losing Suter but if they did it would show that they don't have the power to keep Weber as well. I had read/heard somewhere (and please anyone correct me if I am wrong) that if Suter leaves then Weber would most likely leave as well (or at least try/force) because it would show that NSH isn't heading in the right direction.
Who really knows. If they leave it likely won't be because of money.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Here's my first go at this for the offseason (cap up $2 million, not sure if that is too high or too low or what)...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.250m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m)
Trent Hunter ($1.200m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m)
Tom Sestito ($0.605m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Ryan Suter ($6.100m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.738m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Andrew Raycroft ($0.850m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $66,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,757,500; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $542,500

Traded JVR to TOR for Schenn + picks (use on defensemen).
Sign Moen for the fourth line with Talbot.
Sign Suter (obviously)
Sign Trent Hunter to play on third/fourth line.
Sestito is 13th forward.
Lilja is 7th defenseman.
Trade Bob for picks (use on defensemen)
Sign Raycroft (or any other backup goalie...Niitty is available...).

All of this is preliminary and not likely to happen. Trent Hunter could be swapped for another similar type players. JVR doesn't have to be traded, but if he can land this team a solid young defender with similar potential (i.e. Schenn) then I would do it. Any backup goalie will do. Really, the only two things that I think the Flyer should definitely be pursuing is Moen and Suter.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Frank Seravalli ‏ @DNFlyers
Jaromir Jagr: "This was the most enjoyable year I've ever had. It's a sad day for me. I want to cry right now."

God, I'll miss him. This season made me such a big Jagr fan. I know he had a diva reputation, but I saw nothing but class. If he doesn't come back, Giroux/Jagr will be among my favorite NHL mentorships ever.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Jtown

Every team's message board has a suter thread. 30 teams want him and its going to be a bidding war like crazy. There is no way we get suter realistically.

Id love to see if we can deal strength for strength with another team like Phoenix.

There are a number of young defenseman in the league that we could trade for and develop.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
Jaromir Jagr: "This was the most enjoyable year I've ever had. It's a sad day for me. I want to cry right now."

God, I'll miss him. This season made me such a big Jagr fan. I know he had a diva reputation, but I saw nothing but class. If he doesn't come back, Giroux/Jagr will be among my favorite NHL mentorships ever.
I too have a soft spot for jagr now after this season. The style new jersey plays really made him look obsolete, but he was still fantastic in the Pitt series. Basically NJ made every flyer look bad.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:23 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Really? I've watched Oshie a lot and he just doesn't impress. Ok, so he's a good puck possession guy. We've got three of those centers in Giroux, Couturier and Schenn. Ok, he's versatile in that he can play right wing. Ok, on the Flyers depth chart, that's Jagr, Briere and Voracek. Voracek is a carbon copy Oshie.

What I'm really unimpressed with is that Oshie has the luxury of getting big ice time (19 minutes, 32 seconds a game average). He looks ordinary out there. Simmonds on the other hand has averaged 15 minutes and 55 seconds and has done more with his time than Oshie has. On top of it, Oshie also gets top PP unit time. Simmonds gets 2nd unit PP time.

I know that "goals" don't matter, but Oshie isn't a need here. Simmonds is. The Flyers remove Simmonds and not only are 28 goals gone from the lineup, but so is an imposing 6'3, 200 pound winger. That's much more of a need than Oshie.
It's all a moot argument because there's no way it's happening, but Oshie's about as dynamic a player you can find without calling him a star/superstar. The kid can change games. Simmonds IS getting 1st unit PP time (what Flyers have you been watching the last 3+ months?) and has 11 PP goals (5a), Oshie had 3 (13a). Jake and Oshie are similar players indeed (is that a bad thing? I love Jake almost as much as I love Oshie), but Oshie can lay guys out. He's a total package. He can score, PK, play PP, lay huge hits, play C or W, etc etc. Again, not a need for us, but wouldn't hurt to have him.

Also, Simmonds is no where close to 200lbs.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Every team's message board has a suter thread. 30 teams want him and its going to be a bidding war like crazy. There is no way we get suter realistically.

Id love to see if we can deal strength for strength with another team like Phoenix.

There are a number of young defenseman in the league that we could trade for and develop.
Nashville, perhaps? I'd imagine they have a plethora of young defensemen.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:41 PM
n62

Quote:

Agree 100%

Old
05-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Amateur Hour

JVR's penalty tonight was indefensible and may have been the tipping point for me. Honestly, I really can't stand him. There's just something about his game that turns me off completely. Yeah, yeah, we see flashes. Great. Those flashes aren't sustained, and I don't think he has the personality to put it all together either. What I see in JVR is a player who's ****ing soft and way too content to stay on the perimeter. I think he's going to be a career underachiever who always leaves you wanting more.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Nashville, perhaps? I'd imagine they have a plethora of young defensemen.
To be honest Im not up to date with their propsects. I know a guy id love to make a trade for and that would be Bogosian from Winnipeg but i think he is starting to show signs of the player he may become.

I wonder if Hedman would be made available? Probably too soon to give up on a guy like that but we certainly have a variety of pieces to make any team think twice about moving a player.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:02 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.750m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Jim Slater ($1.000m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Ryan Suter ($6.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.709m)
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $67,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,155,694; BONUSES: $3,555,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $844,306

If Kimmo retires leaves options open on D as well... It'll be an interesting off season - minor tweaks.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:38 AM
DumpyD

Non-trade version

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.000m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Travis Moen ($1.100m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.000m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Bryan Allen ($3.000m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

Something along those lines. Much rather trade JvR or Read+ for a quality defenseman.

Because Suter ain't happening.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:08 AM
mirimon

I hope it's a relatively quiet summer for us. I mean, I really, really hope that we can land Suter of course, but other than that I hope we won't make any big moves. I would have a really hard time saying no to Jagr if he wanted to come back for another year at the same (or even a slightly reduced) salary, but it might be better for the team to find a 4th line center. Other than that, I hope there's no other moves made. Let's see what JvR can do when he gets healthy before we trade him. Allow this team to grow together and we'll make a real push for the cup in a year or two.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:11 AM
StandingCow

Yea, I don't think many people want big changes, but our D HAS to get better.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:18 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Yea, I don't think many people want big changes, but our D HAS to get better.
Get Suter, re-sign MAB and be healthy. That is what I think would be best.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Jtown

Hockey is funny.

The way this team is designed , we would have beaten the blackhawks... even without a healthy pronger.

But the team designed as is can not compete against the more physical stronger teams like the rangers and devils as we clearly saw.

For a team to optimize its success it needs to be able to play a variety of styles. How we are currently constructed we are not versatile and are susceptible to teams that have strong board play and play a more aggressive defense. I still think this roster has some great pieces to it and we are certainly in better shape than alot of other teams. However I feel we need to add some pieces to make us a more complete team, and get rid of some of the redundancy in our lineup.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:38 PM
SAINDON

Quote:

If we could resign Jags for half his current salary (1.5-1.7Million), I may be ok with him staying. He has tons of hockey IQ, and seems to be a great mentor to Giroux and the other young guys. Players with Jags experience and guidance are not in every locker room and only come around once in a generation.

Closed Thread