HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Stewie G
Erskine for Norris

vCash: 500
Not sure where to put this, but the league brought the hammer down on some of the Saints players who participated in the bounty program.

Vilma got suspended the entire season. 3 others were punished as well.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

My bad.

Last edited by Capitlols: 05-02-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old
05-02-2012, 02:43 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Junior Seau dead, preliminary reports are suicide.

He was pretty cool on sports jobs with the Caps.
Check out the stickied OT thread. Got a conversation on this there already.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
WetHog

John Keim‏@john_keim

skins media wins lottery w/rg3, JL RT @sbnationdc Josh LeRibeus Stabbed A Carnival Worker With A Dart At Age 3 http://sbn.to/IYqkDb

The hits keep on coming with this guy. Well worth a 3rd round pick if this dart story is true.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Sigh. It was anything but a GOOD pick.

There's a reason no team has drafted 2 QBs in the first 4 rounds in over 20 years. It's terrible asset management. The ideal backup for a rookie QB to have isn't another rookie--it's an NFL veteran. There are solid vet backup QBs available every single year in free agency. Orton, Garrard, among others were available this year.

And you can get players in the 4th round that can actually make an impact on the field. There are typically 5-10 Pro Bowlers drafted in the 4th round or later any given year. They had the potential home run sitting there (Bobby Massie), and decided instead to go with a player who they hope never sees the field. Wasted pick.
After listenening to Arrington and Dukes obssess on this all day yesterday, I'm starting to agree. This is a luxury pick that the Skins probably couldn't afford to make.

The main supporting argument behind this pick is that mobile QBs get hurt. Vick has only 1 season where he played the a full season. So do you want Grossman or some other average at best QB holding the reigns for that time, or do you want a young guy you feel you can develop right along with RG3?

The Skins certainly could have passed on a player that would have filled a need immediately by taking the QB.

You've got quite the mancrush on Massie...

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 05-02-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old
05-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Bananas

I like the Cousins pick.

A lot.

Smart kid will be the back up of the future or bait.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:13 PM
WetHog

In the last 40 years or so the only two 4th round picks to amount to anything were Don Warren and Stephen Davis. So 4th round picks don't have a storied legacy for the Skins. So why not take a flier on a QB that was a consensus late 2 or 3rd round pick in the 4th.

As for Massie, Skins weren't mentioned in any pre-draft right up I found on the guy as a good fit. And an athletic tackle is great, but if he struggles in run blocking how would he help the Skins.

Strengths: Massie looks the part with a big frame and good athleticism for the position. Is a powerful tackle who would fit well on a team like the Cowboys or Vikings. Does a nice job of finishing off his blocks. Could play guard as well.

Weaknesses: Was a little inconsistent during his career, which is why it was a surprise to see him leave early. Had an up and down junior year where he struggled to hold his ground as a run blocker. Only played right tackle at Ole Miss.

Seems clear why Shanahan passed on this guy, not only in the 4th, but the 3rd as well.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Cousins provides good insurance and backup for RG3. I'm very biased against MSU and Cousins, Gruden lit into him by saying that "Tom Brady would kick your [butt]" or something to that effect, but he is an okay backup and I'd rather take him over Grossman. This has nothing to do with "taking jobs". We all know RG3 is going to be the starter, most likely.

Old
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Most likely

Grossman must feel like an idiot, "yeesh they spent a 4th to get rid of me" proper.

Interesting that so many 4th's have failed in our history. FWIW, this was lower 4th. Shanny had him pegged as the 3rd best QB. If he was right and all the other GM's were wrong, I can live with the pick. Until I see Reed starting at FS in game 1. Jammal meh at RT; our NT getting pushed around.

Most skins fans get defensive even suggesting Cousins will be in the mix to start. I wonder what will happen if he dominates in preseason, and 3 struggles. Fans seem to dismiss talking about it and say, don't worry, it won't happen. If so, then maybe Cousins isn't as good as we were led to believe.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Cush
-inator

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...3p1T_blog.html
Quote:
The Washington Redskins announced that they have signed their two seventh-round draft picks, cornerback Richard Crawford and safety Jordan Bernstine, to contracts.

The team also waived running back Michael Shaw, an undrafted rookie out of Michigan, after one rookie minicamp practice.

Last edited by Cush: 05-04-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old
05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Damn. I liked Shaw, being a Michigan fan.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:43 AM
WetHog

Brother-in-law just sent me a text saying Griffin is having a press conference at 12:45 on sportscenter. Anyone know why? Hopefully its an announcement he signed his rookie contract.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Damn. I liked Shaw, being a Michigan fan.
Rich Rod RB. he sucked

Old
05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
WetHog

Griffin's press conference was all about his rookie mini-camp. Much ado about nothing.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
WetHog

Some news from the recently completed Rookie Minicamp from the WaPost:

• Orakpo said he is 100 percent healthy after surgery to repair a partially torn pectoral muscle right after the end of the season.

• With every member of the team’s front seven back following the re-signings of London Fletcher and Adam Carriker, Orakpo said he expects the Redskins’ defense to take another step forward in its third season in the 3-4 scheme.

• Shanahan said the Redskins haven’t had to work on Robert Griffin III’s mechanics and said he handled the team’s drills with ease.

• Undrafted rookie Chase Minnifield had a solid showing over the three days at Redskins Park, and said he feels “close to 100 percent” in his recovery from January microfracture surgery. The two-time All-ACC cornerback was held out of some drills as a precaution. Shanahan said Minnifield, who was signed shortly after the draft, has a chance to compete with the Redskins’ veterans for a spot on the 53-man roster.

• Second-year receiver Aldrick Robinson said he was able to play much faster in this year’s minicamp a year after learning on the fly as a practice-squad member last season. Shanahan noted that Robinson looks more comfortable and could be an option at slot receiver.

• Shanahan said the team already is getting good use of its practice bubble. The Redskins have used the bubble seven days during their offseason conditioning program and used it on one day during the rookie minicamp.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:14 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Thanks for the summary update WH.

05-08-2012, 10:20 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Thanks for the summary update WH.
No problem, but I did copy past it from the Skins WaPost blog. Insightful none the less. Here is the link I meant to put in that previous post, but my infraction situation doesn't allow me to edit at this time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

In that blog post Shanahan also explains why LeReibus was taken in the 3rd (C/G versatility), and it wasn't because he stabbed a Carny in the hand with a dart when he was a kid.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:37 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
No problem, but I did copy past it from the Skins WaPost blog. Insightful none the less. Here is the link I meant to put in that previous post, but my infraction situation doesn't allow me to edit at this time.

In that blog post Shanahan also explains why LeReibus was taken in the 3rd (C/G versatility), and it wasn't because he stabbed a Carny in the hand with a dart when he was a kid.
I figured but it is all good. This is a caps form and an OT football thread.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:32 AM
WetHog

Redskins, Cowboys set for hearing Thursday in challenge to salary cap penalties

By Mark Maske

An arbitrator is scheduled to hear arguments Thursday in the challenge by the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys to salary cap reductions imposed on them by the NFL in March.

Several people familiar with the case said in recent days they thought it was unlikely that Stephen Burbank, the sport’s system arbitrator, would make an immediate ruling.

The hearing is to take place at the University of Pennsylvania law school in Philadelphia. Burbank, who is in charge of resolving disputes arising from the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, is a law professor at the school.

Attorneys are scheduled to argue the case before Burbank without testimony from any witnesses on Thursday, according to several people familiar with the case. One of those people said Thursday’s hearing is likely to focus primarily on jurisdictional issues, specifically whether the Redskins and Cowboys have the right to bring such a case before Burbank given that the league and the NFL Players Association agreed to the salary cap reductions given to the teams.

A lot more here:

Old
05-09-2012, 04:52 PM
WetHog

Your daily Skins related football trivia of the day:

Who said the following in a recent article:

A: Allen Iverson
B: Terrelle Pryor
C: Warren Sapp
D: Lenny Dykstra

Post your answer.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
WetHog

^Please ignore the above trivia question. I meant to put Clinton Portis name instead of Allen Iverson. My bad.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:53 PM
WetHog

Ex-Redskins QB John Beck agrees to deal with Houston Texans

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...l5DU_blog.html

Old
05-10-2012, 05:31 PM
WetHog

Skins 80th Anniversy throwback uniform unvield:

Old
05-10-2012, 05:43 PM
WetHog

Kerrigan and Orakpo showing them off at the announcment recently:

The uniform models what the Skins wore in 1937, their first year in DC. The team said these uniforms will be worn twice this year, but the games have not been decided on. It was also announced that the home game Nov. 4th vs Carolina is Homecoming so one would think they would wear this uniform for that game.

My personal opinion, they are ok, but I like the 70th anniversary uniforms better.

Would like to see these uniforms full time. Or maybe even bring back the feathered helmut (my personal favorite):

Old
05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
WetHog

Close up of 80th helmut:

Closed Thread