HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Injury Thread - Feb 27 - Bieksa (groin), Kesler (air cast, TBU)

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Explains a lot about his performance as the season wore down. Kesler - and, IMO, the coaching staff - need to start recognizing when he needs to sit and not be played as much. The fact that he had a significant injury and not only played through it, but was utilized more than any other forward on the team, is a bit alarming.

Hope Kesler gets well soon. Seriously can't believe the number of people who have turned on him in such a short amount of time.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:40 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
He's always injured. I would take Eric and Jordan over kes.
Jordan? No thanks. I think Kesler will be fine once he comes back at the correct time this season.

I'm suspecting he can still work out in terms of cardio?

Old
05-09-2012, 12:48 AM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
This is ridiculous. Kesler plays his ass off night in and night out. He takes punishment like no other Canuck. The guy is a warrior and warriors like him suffer injuries.

One of the greatest gritty, but offensively gifted player I have seen is Peter Forsberg and the guy was injured all the time because of the way he played.

People here need to loosen up and cut the guy some slack. The guy played much of the year with a bum shoulder and was fresh off hip surgery. After the year prior, he deserves a chance to redeem himself.
This is where our GM needs to take some serious blame. How many years will he sit back and watch Kesler take ALL the abuse in front of the net on the power play and have to play in all key situations and be one of the few physical players on the team. The GM has built, well built isn't the right word, added small pieces to a core that isn't built to take punishment and hasn't been able to address this in four years.

Kassian is a good start but the team needs more support for guys like Kesler and the Sedins who take so much abuse.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:51 AM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Jordan? No thanks. I think Kesler will be fine once he comes back at the correct time this season.

Probably not for a couple months at least. Guessing he'll be in a sling of some sort for awhile and there will be little physical activity. But it'll be much better than hip that's for sure. Kesler was still limping really badly in August (or whenever they filmed the Canucks TV feature on him).

Old
05-09-2012, 12:59 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:

He probably worked out upper body in the in the off season anyway, and it's the one that got injured this time. Just pray for his good health.

I swear the hockey gods hate us. Weak year this year and good chance to go all the way with some luck and what happens? In the first round we meet the toughest challenge in the west in 8th spot, and we get shafted with injuries to Kesler, Daniel and Bieksa before we even get there.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Probably not for a couple months at least. Guessing he'll be in a sling of some sort for awhile and there will be little physical activity. But it'll be much better than hip that's for sure. Kesler was still limping really badly in August (or whenever they filmed the Canucks TV feature on him).
From what I read on the surgery 6 months seemed to be the upper end of how long it took to recover...it was 4-6 months...but there are a few different types of shoulder labrum injuries and I'm not sure which Kesler suffered. Probably will be in a sling for a few weeks then start the rehabilitation.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:09 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
From what I read on the surgery 6 months seemed to be the upper end of how long it took to recover...it was 4-6 months...but there are a few different types of shoulder labrum injuries and I'm not sure which Kesler suffered. Probably will be in a sling for a few weeks then start the rehabilitation.
I hope he takes the full 6 months, just for fanbase peace of mind. It'll be annoying to see him in the lineup opening night, and every time he has a bad shift it'll be hard to shake that nagging thought that he isn't 100%. This could be a good thing actually. It'll give someone a chance to play (Jordan Schroeder or, more unlikely, Jensen) that otherwise wouldn't have gotten it.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:15 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
He probably worked out upper body in the in the off season anyway, and it's the one that got injured this time. Just pray for his good health.

I swear the hockey gods hate us. Weak year this year and good chance to go all the way with some luck and what happens? In the first round we meet the toughest challenge in the west in 8th spot, and we get shafted with injuries to Kesler, Daniel and Bieksa before we even get there.
Every year we never seem to get the breaks.

I'm hoping Kesler comes back solid. He's getting way too much hate around here and the league for a guy who has been leaving all on the ice everytime he's on it.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Every year we never seem to get the breaks.

I'm hoping Kesler comes back solid. He's getting way too much hate around here and the league for a guy who has been leaving all on the ice everytime he's on it.
He should be applauded for his heart and desire but at some point he has to be smarter out there. It's pretty stupid and narcissistic to think he's helping the team if he's playing with a bum shoulder. It's also pretty stupid of AV to keep throwing him out there knowing he's injured and not producing worth a squirt of piss, and dragging down his linemates. And it's pretty dumb of Gillis to trade Hodgson knowing his 2nd line center has a gimpy shoulder. Heart is great, but he's too valuable to the team to be playing the way he does.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:32 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
He should be applauded for his heart and desire but at some point he has to be smarter out there. It's pretty stupid and narcissistic to think he's helping the team if he's playing with a bum shoulder. It's also pretty stupid of AV to keep throwing him out there knowing he's injured and not producing worth a squirt of piss, and dragging down his linemates. And it's pretty dumb of Gillis to trade Hodgson knowing his 2nd line center has a gimpy shoulder. Heart is great, but he's too valuable to the team to be playing the way he does.
Unfortunately, his level of play being injured wasnt great but I'd still say he was more effective out there than the majority of our players down the stretch. Which is sad.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:33 AM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Hope Kesler gets well soon. Seriously can't believe the number of people who have turned on him in such a short amount of time.
I can. A huge ego is all well and good if you're putting up huge numbers and dominating like he was for a few years. As soon as the production stops, however...he starts to be seen as undeservedly arrogant. It's the nature of the business. If you want to talk the talk, you have to walk the walk. For all of the "best defensive player" talk that got thrown around, this guy has been hurt in some way/shape/form for every playoff run since 2006/2007.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Elliot20

Hopefully Kesler doesn't rush back this time. Even December is fine. I'd like to see a healthy Kesler on this team.

And this also gives Schroeder a big chance to crack the opening day roster as the temporary top6 center!

Old
05-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Unfortunately, his level of play being injured wasnt great but I'd still say he was more effective out there than the majority of our players down the stretch. Which is sad.
I'm actually surprised he was as effective at faceoffs as he was considering his injury...a 17 game goalless streak is pretty rough though. We needed offense, I'd rather see him rest and rehab and call up Reinprecht or Schroeder...or not trade Hodgson, and if he can play he can play...if not we go with someone who can.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
I can. A huge ego is all well and good if you're putting up huge numbers and dominating like he was for a few years. As soon as the production stops, however...he starts to be seen as undeservedly arrogant. It's the nature of the business. If you want to talk the talk, you have to walk the walk. For all of the "best defensive player" talk that got thrown around, this guy has been hurt in some way/shape/form for every playoff run since 2006/2007.
His injuries hampered his offense, IMO - his defensive game has remained at an extremely high level. And I'm not sure what talking he did this year to warrant this, but oh well.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:35 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
He's always injured. I would take Eric and Jordan over kes.
Jordan hasn't exactly been an ironman the last couple seasons.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:47 AM
GoTeamDom

Time to cut bait. We got damaged goods here.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post

It's called being a Canuck "fan". The fanbase has done this as long as I can remember. We eat our own. I've never liked it, but I'm slowly coming to accept it.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
Hopefully Kesler doesn't rush back this time. Even December is fine. I'd like to see a healthy Kesler on this team.

And this also gives Schroeder a big chance to crack the opening day roster as the temporary top6 center!
That all sounds good. And makes a lot of sense.

My concern is our division won't be a slam dunk next season, and we actually have to work at winning it. With ownership (as I read it) giving management short leashes, that would put pressure on getting Kesler back early if the young gun replacements falter in any way (which they most likely will).

Old
05-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Kesler healthy is worth a 6 month December wait. He's only 28 and I think he will bounce back big time.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Put me in the group that would like us to start Schroeder until December, then bring Kesler back slowly. And hey, AV, if Schroeder is doing good at center then please oh PLEASE try Kesler on his wing this time!

Old
05-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Put me in the group that would like us to start Schroeder until December, then bring Kesler back slowly. And hey, AV, if Schroeder is doing good at center then please oh PLEASE try Kesler on his wing this time!
Agreed. Don't want to waste another year of Kesler's prime years.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:42 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

I just pray that Schroeder can hold the fort until around January.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
If he plays well enough, I'd like Schroeder to center Booth and Kassian to start the season and see how it goes.

Sure there will be growing pains with that line but it could end up paying off in the long run if they find chemistry and combine their size (Kassian), skill (Schroeder) and speed (Booth, Schroeder and Kassian skates well for his size).

Could free up the space necessary to acquire a #1 d-man or legit top 6 winger.

Figure the rest out once Kesler returns.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Karl Hungus

Kesler never got in top gear this season. It doesn't really matter when he comes back as long as the team can get him feeling good going into the post season somehow.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
How many of you now feel bad for ripping him to pieces during the playoffs? *slowly raises hand*
Why ? Does the labrum effect your skating and work ethic too?

Closed Thread