HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Take out the language issue. If we had to hire the BEST candidate available, who would that be? Regardless of language, the good candidates in the NHL right now are few. There are some in the AHL, and others in the CHL. At the CHL, none is better than Groulx, that's for sure. And the AHL, you can say something about some individuals. But I believe Groulx would fare extremely good against them.

So it comes to this: you want a rookie with no clout, but with tons of talent, like Groulx or any another hotshot from the AHL (french or english), or you want someone who has clout...like Roy.

Listen, there aren't a lot of candidates, regardless of language.

To me, the most competent is Groulx. But he won't be choosen because he just can't coach Montreal right now. Too much pressure.

You want a coach that can take the heat, that has a lot of coyones to help change de makeup of this team, that has clout over the millionnaires (one of them), that doesn't give a shlit, and that can speak to the media. Unfortunately, Pat Burns is dead. Now, you need the next best thing: Patrick Roy.

Now, as for his talent at managing a game, or establishing a system, I don't know. Ben Groulx is the master. He's the best coach of all the ones that passed through the Olympiques organisation in my books.
Benoit Groulx does have a very impressive resume. I think Roy has an excellent shot at being HC, but he has to prove to Bergevin that he can work as a team with Habs management and not attempt to dictate things his own way. IMO that is what the Habs are most afraid of regarding Roy.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I'm under the impression that Roy doesn't actually yell at his players, but directs most of his anger on referees. I just know Hartley comes from the old school mind set, I can't really critique his style or anything, just bringing up the biggest reason I'm weary of him coaching. Although Darryl Sutter and Hitchock seem a lot more calm and patient these days.

A Hawks fan came in here and said most of their anger is directed at Assistant Coach Mike Kitchen, who is responsible for their terrible special teams. Quenneville is apparently good friends with Kitchen though, which is why he fired Haviland, who the fans actually like, and kept Kitchen around.

Plus I'd only consider Roy if he checks his ego at the door, and has guys like Groulx and Robinson especially, to keep him level headed. If he wants part time GM duties, I'd say no.
I can just imagine Roy being interviewed after a loss (or a win). I wouldn't stick around for it.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:00 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I can just imagine Roy being interviewed after a loss (or a win). I wouldn't stick around for it.
Would love to see his post game interviews after a loss, would be refreshing to see someone with a bit of personality

Old
05-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Would love to see his post game interviews after a loss, would be refreshing to see someone with a bit of personality
The French version of Tortorella me thinks.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

I got a Idea.

I know it's likely been discuss over and over, but how about we hire no coach?

We had no captain for a year , let's try no coaches.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I can't believe these are the only candidates. Those are the most common names, but I don't think Bergevin will just stay there.
Even Gainey was able to go after an employed man when he went after Martin.
I refuse to believe Crawford, Therrien, Hartley, Roy, Carbo and Tremblay are the only choices. It's impossible.
I certainly hope Bergevin has something up his sleeve because while I may give 1 or 2 of the ones you listed a try(due to no option) I'd hope there's some superstar assistant coach who speaks an ounce of french that is MB radar.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:36 PM
FF de Mars

I hope MB hires Quennville. Let the GM do the French talking. Quenville would command respect from his players. It's about time we get a real coach.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 05-08-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 11:38 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I hope MB hires Quenville. Let the GM do the French talking. Quenville would command respect from his players. It's about time we get a real coach.
Hes not available.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Hes not available.
Let's hire Mannequin

Old
05-08-2012, 11:54 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Hes not available.
He might be.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
He might be.
Well we do know Chicago Blackhawks fire assistant coach Mike Haviland today.‎

We do know 100% Joel Quenneville will be back behind Hawks bench next season .

SO , could we hire Mike Haviland as asst coach ,and have him wear a Joel Quenneville sock puppet behind the bench?

I'm sure Marc Bergevin is considering .

Old
05-09-2012, 12:06 AM
FF de Mars

Arg. I hope it's not one of the parrots on l'Antichambre who will be hired. Or Roy's primadonna's ego.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
I certainly hope Bergevin has something up his sleeve because while I may give 1 or 2 of the ones you listed a try(due to no option) I'd hope there's some superstar assistant coach who speaks an ounce of french that is MB radar.
Pretty much what I'm hoping for as well.
I mean, Quenneville can manage a bit of french, that was news to me. Now, apparently he isn't available, but point is, I'm sure there are other candidates currently employed that we're not thinking of that can manage some french too.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:45 AM
SB164

Imagine Dave Tippet with a goalie of Carey Price's calibre.

One can dream, one can dream...

Old
05-09-2012, 05:54 AM
shutehinside

I don't think we'll see a rookie head coach this year. It seems to me the Habs want to go with experience and given Bergy is friends with just about everyone in the NHL, I can see him giving the job to someone he knows well, a past coach etc. For that reason I personally don't think he'll hire Roy or Groulx.

I think a guy like Crawford will get a long look, as will Lemaire and Hartley. I don't think much of Therrien but he'll probably be considered as well but I don't think he's a serious candidate IMO. I'm sure there are candidates out there that Bergy is thinking of that haven't been mentioned on this board and that have better odds then anyone mentioned on this board.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:57 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post

Michel Therrien? Aside from being very popular amongst the females for certain reasons ,
You can't possibly mean human females. You must mean female orangutans or gorillas.

Last edited by onice: 05-10-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old
05-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Benoit Groulx does have a very impressive resume. I think Roy has an excellent shot at being HC, but he has to prove to Bergevin that he can work as a team with Habs management and not attempt to dictate things his own way. IMO that is what the Habs are most afraid of regarding Roy.
Groulx has a great track record as a junior coach, he is known to be very demanding and a disciplinarian. I wonder if his iron fist would work with pros though. I would like to see him as an assistant though and potentially groomed as the "next in line".

Old
05-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I don't think we'll see a rookie head coach this year. It seems to me the Habs want to go with experience and given Bergy is friends with just about everyone in the NHL, I can see him giving the job to someone he knows well, a past coach etc. For that reason I personally don't think he'll hire Roy or Groulx.

I think a guy like Crawford will get a long look, as will Lemaire and Hartley. I don't think much of Therrien but he'll probably be considered as well but I don't think he's a serious candidate IMO. I'm sure there are candidates out there that Bergy is thinking of that haven't been mentioned on this board and that have better odds then anyone mentioned on this board.
I don't think Lemaire is really interested in being an NHL coach or he'd still be in New Jersey. If he has any interest, he should be among the top candidates if not THE top.

"On April 10, 2011 Lemaire decided he will not come back to the New Jersey Devils and retire again, but this time he says its final he is fully retired from coaching in the NHL"

Old
05-09-2012, 07:17 AM
LyricalLyricist

I wonder what the players think when the top candidates are Hartley and Crawford.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Andy

With Quenneville and Vigneault no longer in the running, I would like to have Lemaire. I really don't want to go down the road of Hartley or Crawford.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:55 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
With Quenneville and Vigneault no longer in the running, I would like to have Lemaire. I really don't want to go down the road of Hartley or Crawford.
One could argue that neither Quennville nor Vigneault were ever in the running except for in the brains of media and brainwashed fans who hear of a big name and start to mess themselves. Had the Habs got permission to speak to said person then I would say at that point there is a chance.

So where does that leave us? still at square 1

Old
05-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
One could argue that neither Quennville nor Vigneault were ever in the running except for in the brains of media and brainwashed fans who hear of a big name and start to mess themselves. Had the Habs got permission to speak to said person then I would say at that point there is a chance.

So where does that leave us? still at square 1
It still removes them as potential candidates regardless of whether we contacte dthem or not.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:59 AM
BobbyFischer*

Roy is the logical choice.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Roy is the logical choice.
Not at all.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:13 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

I am probably in the minority but, I would love to see Ted Nolan behind the bench. He may not be fluent in french (but he does know a little french). He couldn't be worse then Roy on the tantrum scale, and has at least shown he can coach teams to play hard and play solid.

Closed Thread