HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Goalies On The Move In The Off-Season

Old
05-08-2012, 10:57 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Harding and Vokoun are some good goalies that teams will be competing for this off-season. I'm curious if any team will be willing to give Harding a #1 job?
I would definitely consider it for the Sharks, for the right price. He may even take a discount to end up somewhere like San Jose (Due to the overall talent) rather than a Columbus. I would definitely give Vokoun a look as well.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:05 PM
grits207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schuler View Post
according to Leaf fans, the organization has so many NHL-caliber goalies, they don't need any more.
Show me one Leafs fan who has said the Leafs don't need to add a goalie this summer, I'll wait. Get a life and quit talking out of your ass.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelace16 View Post
He also has far and away the worst contract on the market.
I simply don't understand the ignorance with these types of comments regarding Luongo's contract. I'm not saying it's a great contract, but it is absolutely not even close to the worst contract in the NHL.

Scott Gomez scored two goals this year and he made 7 MILLION DOLLARS!!!

In six years or at the end of six more seasons, Luongo will be 39 years old. He will have collected 57 million dollars out of a possible 64 million dollar deal. To date, he's collected 16.716 million of that money. At that age he will have made close to 100 million dollars for his entire career, the last four years of his contract pay him just over an average of 1 million per season. Do you honestly think he's gonna work out and prepare himself for an NHL season to collect a mere 1 million?

Last edited by Falconator: 05-08-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:21 AM
DPyro

Not gonna argue that the Leafs need a goalie but Ben Scrivens now has a 1.58 GAA and 0.945 SV% in the playoffs.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Not gonna argue that the Leafs need a goalie but Ben Scrivens now has a 1.58 GAA and 0.945 SV% in the playoffs.
Doubt Burke will bet his career as a leafs GM on Ben Scrivens. Gotta consider the psychology of the people making the decisions.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:05 AM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1971 View Post
There are going to be some Goalies on the outside looking in when the new season begins. There seems to be alot more Goalies then positions available next season. Here is a list of teams that I think might need some help in the Net.

Devils: need a successor to Brodeur
Islanders: Nabokov is only a 1 or 2 year solution
Toronto: I don't think that Reimer or Gustavsson are safe
Florida: They have Markstrom, but is He ready yet? Are They sold with Theodore or Clemmensen?
Tampa: needs a true #1
Winnipeg: Are They sold on Pavelec?
Washington: Holtby is most likely the #1 going into next year, but what about Vokoun & Neuvirth?

Chicago: Between Crawford, Emery & Salak, is there a #1 Goalie in that mix?
Columbus: The whole team is a mess, why shouldn't the Goaltending be any different.
Colorado: Is Giggy a stop gap? Is Varlamov a true #1?
Edmonton: Is Khabibulin still a #1? Is Dubnyk ready to take the next step?
San Jose: Does San Jose trust Niemi? Can Greiss step in?

Am I correct in any of these &/or did I leave some teams out? Who do You think ends up where?
We gave up a 1st and a 2nd so im pretty sure we expect him to be a number one

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Doubt Burke will bet his career as a leafs GM on Ben Scrivens. Gotta consider the psychology of the people making the decisions.
Correct...BUT...he will take his youth into consideration before sending assets for any old goalie on a lifer contract.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
Show me one Leafs fan who has said the Leafs don't need to add a goalie this summer, I'll wait. Get a life and quit talking out of your ass.
Hey man...relax. He's probably a Nucks fan and can't figure out why all Leaf fans aren't jumping to give our 1st/Gardiner for Luongo's contract.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:28 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Correct...BUT...he will take his youth into consideration before sending assets for any old goalie on a lifer contract.
Isn't that what he did this past season in regards to goaltending?

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
Somebody please take Niemi. Please? Am I enticing anyone with my pitch? Sharks do need to address forwards and team speed, but Niemi (despite his numbers being average) forced the team to play differently with all of his rebounds.

Right now I'd trade him for a good 3rd line forward. Come on Columbus, the Sharks could stand to get some good players for overrated players.
Take Crawford and Hawks will take Niemi off your hands

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Isn't that what he did this past season in regards to goaltending?
Yup...and if Reimer doesn't get hurt, maybe it pans out differently. Burke has stated he will address goaltending. He will probably look into a short term UFA signing (Vokoun, Harding) or explore a trade (Thomas,Kipper or even Habby). I just don't think he is looking for a long term goalie with a lifer deal.

And may i say, going by your avatar, if the Caps were to have made a move bringing in a lifer deal we wouldn't be seeing Holtby stealing the show. This is the fear of alot of fans concerning taking a Bryz/Luongo type contract.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:51 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schuler View Post
Pittsburgh needs a better backup.
They need a better starter too

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:37 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Take Crawford and Hawks will take Niemi off your hands
Niemi is inconsistent and frustrating to watch, but I'd rather go Greiss/Stalock than Crawford. At least they're cheap. And probably better.

I'd actually almost rather have Crawford at this point (I still wouldn't trade Niemi for him because I think we can actually get something useful in return). Having him would necessitate a move in goaltending, whereas Niemi plays decent enough to warrant a starting gig, but not well enough to be an asset.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:34 PM
AK1990

To Reimer Haters,

The notion of James Reimer not being a number 1 goalie is nonsensical. You do realize he's 24? He's a young goalie who suffered something called a sophomore slump!! James is 3 years away from entering his prime. Not everyone can be Carey Price. Guys need to develop. Reimers overall numbers are solid for a 24 year old. He wasn't touted in the draft as a pure stud, a blue chip as soon as he enters the league. However, he's a hard working goalie whose dominated at every level prior to the NHL and shown signs of dominance in the NHL. Now, the Leafs fans have unrealistic expectations! You want the youth to play. Yet, you beat them for being inexperienced. Reimer suffered a head injury at the beginning of the season and at the end of the season. Those things aren't easy for a young guy to handle. Patience is a virtue and thankfully Maple Leafs management realize this with goalies. Would it be nice to have Price, Ward, Schneider, Bernier? Yes. May I remind you that not all top echelon goalies come out of the first round. I'm not saying Reimer is going to be that guy but I don't think any of you can say that or you'd all be employed by an NHL team as a top scout. Fact is Burke has the right mentality; Reimer has shown signs of him being a top goalie...however, he's young and could use a support system. Price had Halak, Bryzgalov and Hiller had Giguere, Ward had Gerber & Schneider had Luongo. It helps to have an experienced goalie giving their experience to these young guys. I don't like Luongo as a number 1 on my team but he's no question a top 10 goalie come regular season haha...but I'm sure the pressure Luongo has faced has been a great tool for Schneider in learning how to deal with pressure. Also, place all these young goalies who've looked great such as Schneider, Lindback, Bernier and put them in Toronto where they are in a fish bowl and currently don't have the personale infront to be a strong defensive team and you have UPS and DOWNS. Look for guys with experience to help Reimer who can handle a 50-60 games if he falters. OH and FYI same goes for Steve Mason. You don't give up on goalies when they are young. It can haunt a GM. Look at what Mike Smith has done. He matured and is the reason Phoenix is still in the playoffs. Enough Said.

The guy I'd target if I was Toronto would be Miikka Kiprusoff. The guy has seen it all and is still an excellent goaltender in the NHL. He has 2 years left on his contract and could really mentor Reimer. Now, Burke might go for a guy who plays a similar style to Reimer as Kiprusoff is more of a reflex/acrobatic style goalie, while Reimer is a pure butterfly goalie. Just my opinon

Last edited by AK1990: 05-09-2012 at 01:41 PM.
AK1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:04 PM
jayball75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
They need a better starter too
U shook your head at the end because you couldn't believe you just said that right?

jayball75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:46 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Luongo and Gillis get along. There is no rancor. There is no reason why both goalies cannot come to camp and compete to start.

In the event of a goalie leaving, one is an RFA, one is signed forever. One has a NTC and a gold medal, one played very well in limited starts.

If Luongo included any Canadian destinations on his list he should change business managers. More likely there are no Canadian teams named. He is known to prefer Florida for family concerns, but some others must be attractive as well.

NJ has to be considered the favorite, IMO. This team and thier system can prolong a goalie's career. There are no other superstar goalies looking for berths and no other teams built around superstar goalies.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Luongo and Gillis get along. There is no rancor. There is no reason why both goalies cannot come to camp and compete to start.

In the event of a goalie leaving, one is an RFA, one is signed forever. One has a NTC and a gold medal, one played very well in limited starts.

If Luongo included any Canadian destinations on his list he should change business managers. More likely there are no Canadian teams named. He is known to prefer Florida for family concerns, but some others must be attractive as well.

NJ has to be considered the favorite, IMO. This team and thier system can prolong a goalie's career. There are no other superstar goalies looking for berths and no other teams built around superstar goalies.
I can't imagine Luongo as a Devil. He is way to outspoken and collapses under pressure; basically the opposite of Brodeur.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Hard to imagine it piques much interest... but if Bowman has any brains at all, one of Crawford or Emery needs to be on the move.

If you go with Crawford, you HAVE to have a goalie who can play 40+ games in case Crawford slips up like last year. If you want to have Emery as your back-up, you HAVE to have a goalie who can start 60 games and post a .910+ sv%.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:45 PM
sbertram2000
Rookie User

[QUOTE=ted1971;49432433]There are going to be some Goalies on the outside looking in when the new season begins. There seems to be alot more Goalies then positions available next season. Here is a list of teams that I think might need some help in the Net.

Devils: need a successor to Brodeur - Got a couple of years to go I think, especially after this playoff run,
Islanders: Nabokov is only a 1 or 2 year solution - agreed
Toronto: I don't think that Reimer or Gustavsson are safe Luongo is one rumour
Florida: They have Markstrom, but is He ready yet? Are They sold with Theodore or Clemmensen? Markstrom is ready
Tampa: needs a true #1 sure do
Winnipeg: Are They sold on Pavelec? He is staying put
Washington: Holtby is most likely the #1 going into next year, but what about Vokoun & Neuvirth? Holtby will be the #1

Chicago: Between Crawford, Emery & Salak, is there a #1 Goalie in that mix? Crawford and Emery
Columbus: The whole team is a mess, why shouldn't the Goaltending be any different. they need to be relegated to the AHL
Colorado: Is Giggy a stop gap? Is Varlamov a true #1? Varlamov is the #1
Edmonton: Is Khabibulin still a #1? Is Dubnyk ready to take the next step? Dybnyk, especially after his World Championship performances
San Jose: Does San Jose trust Niemi? Can Greiss step in? Niemi is not the reason they lost

Kipper will be staying put in Calgary too.

sbertram2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:57 PM
klog1

Markstrom should be given the chance to take the #1 spot next year for the Panthers.

I also think Harding will have multiple offers from teams in need of a #1

Last edited by klog1: 05-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.
klog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Gonna bump this given the news of Thomas now.

With Thomas seemingly out it still leaves Harding, Luongo/Schneider, Vokoun and potentially Kiprusoff and Bernier still out there.

Tampa:
Toronto:
Columbus:

San Jose:

Chicago seems content with Emery/Crawford.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:04 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Gonna bump this given the news of Thomas now.

With Thomas seemingly out it still leaves Harding, Luongo/Schneider, Vokoun and potentially Kiprusoff and Bernier still out there.

Tampa: 1st option: Bernier / 2nd option: Harding
Toronto: 1st option: Vokoun / 2nd option: Luongo
Columbus: 1st option: Vokoun / 2nd option: Harding

San Jose: 1st option: Niemi / 2nd option: Vokoun

Chicago seems content with Emery/Crawford.
Just my guesses. Where does Niemi go if San Jose gets someone else? Columbus (maybe part of a larger package for Nash)?

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:44 PM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Hard to imagine it piques much interest... but if Bowman has any brains at all, one of Crawford or Emery needs to be on the move.

If you go with Crawford, you HAVE to have a goalie who can play 40+ games in case Crawford slips up like last year. If you want to have Emery as your back-up, you HAVE to have a goalie who can start 60 games and post a .910+ sv%.
Do the Hawks want Kipper?

Something around Crawford & McNeil = Kipper

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote