HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Johnsb

vCash: 500
We could be looking at a few real good years coming down the road. If we get the players being talked about this team will be good. Shore being the key guy to land, not sure about the others being talked about.

Going from scoring 39-40 goals at Jr B to scoring 30 in the O is one big step!

The 96 age group should turn out to be a great group in a year or two.

I would think we would be looking to make some moves over the next couple of months. Maybe moving a couple of 93-94's to land a couple of seasond vets to make a run.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:30 PM
JSavoire

Hawerchuk definitely has a soft spot for Beyers, and even Buonomo. With Beyers it is the Orangeville connection much as it was with EZ. But I like both those guys, but anyone thinking Beyers will be moved as an OA will be surprised how tough that will be. Expect someone else to be moved. As for Fotinos, Dale wants him to take the torch in due time for sure although that will be a tall order for a kid that just turned 17 in January and holding the most important position on the team. Hence the reason Nieds sticks around as insurance that the club doesn't blow games yet still develops their future goalie. I'd have to say that Dale is poised to advance the club again next year and maybe take a healthy run. Will be exciting to watch.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

We will see what happens adter the import draft and trading window in the summer.....but I sure like the way we are looking!

Old
04-23-2012, 08:24 PM
DEVSTER

The one thing that bothers me the most about the OA disscussion is buonomo. In my opinion he isnt worth having if it means him being an over ager. With all the over agers we have as of now buonomo doesn't crack my top 3 OA list, for a couple of reasons. One being, he takes not so smart penalties almost every game. Another because he is not as good as some of the other OA talent we have on the team. A player like him can always be replaced by a younger player. It is not hard to get a player that can stick up for your team and fight, in my opinion we can have so much more talent on the team without him in the lineup as opposed to him being in the lineup.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVSTER View Post
The one thing that bothers me the most about the OA disscussion is buonomo. In my opinion he isnt worth having if it means him being an over ager. With all the over agers we have as of now buonomo doesn't crack my top 3 OA list, for a couple of reasons. One being, he takes not so smart penalties almost every game. Another because he is not as good as some of the other OA talent we have on the team. A player like him can always be replaced by a younger player. It is not hard to get a player that can stick up for your team and fight, in my opinion we can have so much more talent on the team without him in the lineup as opposed to him being in the lineup.
True shut down D don't grow on trees, like you make it seem.....we just drafted a 16 year-old clone of Ryan O'connor

Old
04-23-2012, 10:34 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
True shut down D don't grow on trees, like you make it seem.....we just drafted a 16 year-old clone of Ryan O'connor
Agreed...it's always easy to overlook the very competent defensive defenseman in favour of someone who is a little more flashy. Look who was getting the minutes in the first round of this year's playoffs (i.e. before everyone else got hurt)...McNeil and Ekblad certainly, then Buonomo...

Old
04-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Johnsb

Racer, When does the trading window open up?

Old
04-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

First couple days in june leading up to the import draft. We will see some of the trades that were made pre-draft finalised and then some hoackey trades and import trades will take place.

Old
04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Johnsb

Racer, Hearing anything on the trade front? Keep hearing the same couple of names teams are intrested in form Barrie. Don't want to name them here but Racer I think you know who they are.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:16 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Rookie camp on May 5th at 1:00 p.m on the Blue rink at Allandale Recreational Centre. Looking forward to seeing some of the draft picks.

Old
04-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhire View Post
Racer, Hearing anything on the trade front? Keep hearing the same couple of names teams are intrested in form Barrie. Don't want to name them here but Racer I think you know who they are.
There is some stuff out there, but I think any trades are hinging on some other decisions that need to be made. I wouldnt expect anything much to happen until late summer. Maybe just tinkering.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:05 AM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Anybody go to the Rookie Camp? If so any comments on players that surprised you.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:56 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Anybody go to the Rookie Camp? If so any comments on players that surprised you.
I'd appreciate an update too... I've been out of town and unfortunately my schedule in Saint John somehow missed the Q final as well.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:13 PM
DEVSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Ok, a few things about the scrimmage. Justin Scott was amazing. He was fast, and he definetly outplayed almost all of the other players. Another player that surprised me was a player that most of you wouldn't be familiar with. I believe his name was fetovich. He is defenceman that Barrie had signed not long ago and is a player that I beleive that can make the team in a few years. He was responsible in his own end and played his position perfectly. Perlini of course was great, as well as Garcia. Both players showed that they wanted to make a difference with this club in the upcoming years. Lemiuex was also great, while using his speed to outplay the opossing defenders. I am starting to be happy about how things are shaping up here in Barrie and I am looking forward to the next season.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Arjay

Further to Devster's observations. Several of the prospects from last year did show to a reasonable degree. I agree completely on Justin Scott. I thought Cash Seraphim looked skinny and awkward , but very aggressive - he even had a short scrap! Fabrizio Ricci showed some skill as did Nicholas Santoro. On defence Jayme Forslund impressed me. Of the new people, the thought of having Brendan Lemieux and his sandpaper& skill) in the lineup at some point in the future is intriguing. Obviously, Perlini and the other early round picks were interesting but I really liked Matthew McLeod RC - 6th round with a late birthday. Plenty of drive in his game. Cray Roberge LW/C 8th round, was a very willing participant with a measure of skill.During the shootouts, I was blown away by the shot of Jack Campbell LD - 12th round. One other impression was left by Mackenzie Blackwood G - 5th round. He wasn't that busy but played under control. Could he back up Fotinos instead of the Neiderberger/Fotinis tandem? We'll have to wait and see as always! No surprises from the point of view of who showed up, but I suppose this would not be the occasion. Roll on training camp!!

Old
05-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Justin Scott will play next season but wants a gold package...Howie is bit tight on giving them out, although if they are signed to a pro contract, they are not on the hook for the scholarship.

Still woprking on Labanc...i believe he would like to come...the 50K sticking point to get him out fo the USNTDP is a bit tough.

Shore is a wait and see....we must wait and see who drafts him...lets all hope for winnipeg.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:07 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVSTER View Post
Ok, a few things about the scrimmage. Justin Scott was amazing. He was fast, and he definetly outplayed almost all of the other players. Another player that surprised me was a player that most of you wouldn't be familiar with. I believe his name was fetovich. He is defenceman that Barrie had signed not long ago and is a player that I beleive that can make the team in a few years. He was responsible in his own end and played his position perfectly. Perlini of course was great, as well as Garcia. Both players showed that they wanted to make a difference with this club in the upcoming years. Lemiuex was also great, while using his speed to outplay the opossing defenders. I am starting to be happy about how things are shaping up here in Barrie and I am looking forward to the next season.
As far as Lemieux is concerned his deal with UND I believe is something that majority of educated folk would NEVER turn down. Program has turned over many players on to the SHOW and other Pro hockey programs. Schedule is better than other typical NCAA programs, facility is out of this world amazing and it's currently in the #1 Conference. Although there will be some re-alignment next year in that area where 2 strong Conferences will emerge. No, I've spoken with Claude many times and have made my opinion clear in that he's done the best for Brendon's future.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Johnsb

JS who had 35 pts in Jr-A is looking for a Gold package?

Last edited by Johnsb: 05-09-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old
05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Just stating what I have heard....I was told he wants the top scholarship package...

Old
05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Johnsb

I'm not doubting you. I'm just surprised a play like that would be looking for that kind package.

If so I wouldn't count on him being in the line-up in Sept.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Stats are not the best way to judge a player like Justin Scott. A 16 year old in the OJHL that has any impact is impressive.

He has been getting alot of interest from NCAA teams. The offers that he will get will be equivalent to a OHL Gold package. He has to look out for his best interests.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Stats are not the best way to judge a player like Justin Scott. A 16 year old in the OJHL that has any impact is impressive.

He has been getting alot of interest from NCAA teams. The offers that he will get will be equivalent to a OHL Gold package. He has to look out for his best interests.
Completely agree with this statement....it's a kid's life as much as anything else...plus, Barrie has lots of packages left...I believe 4 - 3 after perlini....

Old
05-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Johnsb

I guess time will tell.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Arsenault

Quote:
I guess time will tell.
Actually I think any 16 year old kid that is signed should authomatically be offered a "Gold Package" for education.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Johnsb

How many can you have?

Closed Thread