HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How big are the Rangers in NY?

Old
05-08-2012, 11:48 PM
js10

vCash: 500
reality check

if Italy, China and Porto Rico had had tradition in hockey and Rangers drafted any of those guys, Rangers would be #1. Having said that, Rangers will never be a top 5 team in NYC.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:53 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Big enough to fill up the Garden. That's all I really care about.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:05 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

I would actually say it's

1. Yankees
2. Mets
3. Giants
4. Jets
5. Knicks
6. Rangers
7. Nets
8. Devils
9. Fishsticks

New York has always struck me as a baseball town. Maybe after winning the SB the Giants have gotten a huge boost in popularity, but the city has gone absolutely Mets crazy the times in their history they've been good. Even in 2006 when they didn't even make it to the Series they were the biggest NY story of the year.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:49 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan2Gaborik View Post
Which bars in NJ?
The only NJ bar I've been to that had rangers memorabilia and an avid nyr fan for an owner is the black bear in hoboken. Ive also heard of one in bayonne, and another in the fort lee area.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Hi all, just wondering how popular the Rangers have become in NY? Are they talked about a lot in the local media, on the street? How does it compare to other NY teams on their title runs? Do you think this is here to stay? Thanks.
they are bigger in NY than the Papers or TV media would indicate.

They way they play is more in line with the working class people of NYC than the flashy name players Sather tried to put together pre-lockout.

The radio/print/TV media have not yet gotten behind them because there's not that one major names star that they can latch onto.

These venues want someone like a Messier that can put up gaudy numbers regardless of team success.

They do a poor job promoting a winning team as opposed to a special talent

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Dactyl

right now the bandwagon is huge but none of them know what theyre talking about most of the time the rangers get no attention at all

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
right now the bandwagon is huge but none of them know what theyre talking about most of the time the rangers get no attention at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Rangers usually get no media attention. People only talk about us when we are in the playoffs, and still not as much as the Knicks or any other team when they are in the playoffs. You definitely see more Ranger apparel than the Knicks though, AINEC.
I've heard many say this, and I've also heard it repeated outside NY (like in Sweden), and in that perspective its just not correct. While it is from your perspetive. I remember a piece on a Swedish sport show a couple of years ago about the interest of hockey in NY/the US, and they among others interviewed a sportsbar owner in NY. And he said basically the same as you do (or basically, litterary). No interest. Most don't even know of the team NYR. If they would go deep in the PO's, to like the SCF's, alot of fans would come out and support the team -- but not in other situations.

But in reality, if you go to NY and expect that you will definitely be suprised. From my perspective, if you go into a sports bar during the season, there can be 3 diffrent hockey games on, and always 1-2 games. If you pick up any newspaper, there are a bunch (2-3) of hockey articles in them basically every day. If you walk around Manhattan after a game, you see people in NYR jersey's basically all over. If you look at a TV in a hotell lobby, the scores from the NHL is rolling right infront of you all the time. Me, my GF and some friends visited NY last spring (we saw the 7-0 beating of Philly), and everyone were like "wow we had no clue that the interest of hockey was this big in NY".

The interest in NYR on Manhattan is definitely as high as say the interest in one of the two hockey teams in Stockholm, in Stockholm. Give the amount of people on Manhattan from very non-traditional hockey markets, I am sure a big portion don't really know anything about the game (at the same time, I can't imagine like someone who ever reads a sports-section or watch sports shows on tv, not being able to pick up the fact that there is a team called New York Rangers). Compared to the Knicks or Giants or Yankees or some college games, I am sure NYR gets little attention. But its exactly the same in Stockholm for hockey in comparision with Swedish Soccer and the big nations soccer leagues etc.

When a outside observer hear that there is "no" interest in hockey in NY, my guess is that many would guess that the interest in hockey in NY is like the interest in Handball or Floorball in Sweden or something like that, ie an article in the paper 10-12 times per season for the former or 3-4 times per season for the later, save for internatinoal tournaments when the interest can become higher, or something like that, instead of like constant coverege every day from 3-4 papers, alot of coverege on local TV and so forth. Even the front page of some of the biggest papers every now and then.

Last edited by Ola: 05-09-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:13 AM
folding
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
I would actually say it's

1. Yankees
2. Mets
3. Giants
4. Jets
5. Knicks
6. Rangers
7. Nets
8. Devils
9. Fishsticks

New York has always struck me as a baseball town. Maybe after winning the SB the Giants have gotten a huge boost in popularity, but the city has gone absolutely Mets crazy the times in their history they've been good. Even in 2006 when they didn't even make it to the Series they were the biggest NY story of the year.
I agree with this exact order. I think it is primarily a baseball town. In the 80s and early 90s, it was Mets. Of course, that has a lot to do with the fact that the Yankees weren't superstars from 77 til the mid-90s and then got good again.

folding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:23 AM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Honestly, as an "old timer" my take is:

(1) Yankees

(2) Giants
(3) Knicks (though this will flip if one is good and one is bad)

(4) Mets
(5) Jets

(6) Rangers

(spaces added for emphasis as to the "gap" between the teams). And obviously, the closer any of those teams get to a title, the more coverage they'll get.
This is pretty much it.

I was a sportswriter for 7 years at a TV station here in the city. Still in TV, but now it's a pal writing sports, and another pal anchoring it. They would say the same thing. I bleed Ranger blue, I've had season tickets for years. But there is no way the Rangers will ever overtake the Yanks or Giants. It would take a miracle for us to overtake the Knicks. And a ****** Mets season is a story unto itself, and often gets more attention than a Rangers win. In the minds of local news bosses, hockey is and always will be a fringe sport, for fringe fans. It never gets the respect it deserves, despite my repeated attempts at boosting it. Don't expect it to change anytime soon.

If, the good Lord willing, we win the Cup -- then you'll get coverage. Anchors/hosts/writers across the city will pretend they've been following the team for weeks (if not the season) and will give them at least a week. (Until the parade ends.) Then it's back to baseball, and football camps. Reality sucks.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnyr View Post
This is pretty much it.

I was a sportswriter for 7 years at a TV station here in the city. Still in TV, but now it's a pal writing sports, and another pal anchoring it. They would say the same thing. I bleed Ranger blue, I've had season tickets for years. But there is no way the Rangers will ever overtake the Yanks or Giants. It would take a miracle for us to overtake the Knicks. And a ****** Mets season is a story unto itself, and often gets more attention than a Rangers win. In the minds of local news bosses, hockey is and always will be a fringe sport, for fringe fans. It never gets the respect it deserves, despite my repeated attempts at boosting it. Don't expect it to change anytime soon.

If, the good Lord willing, we win the Cup -- then you'll get coverage. Anchors/hosts/writers across the city will pretend they've been following the team for weeks (if not the season) and will give them at least a week. (Until the parade ends.) Then it's back to baseball, and football camps. Reality sucks.
How would you, or anyone else, say that the interest of the Rangers/hockey has changed from say 1970 to 2012? Or from 1980/1990 to 2012?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:19 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Get out of here...Rangers deep playoff run can overtake the Knicks (as we did until last season)
No chance. The Rangers have NEVER been more popular than the Knicks in this town.

When the Knicks are good, they become the hottest ticket in town. More than the Yankees and Giants. Problem is it isnt sustained when they are bad.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:51 AM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
How would you, or anyone else, say that the interest of the Rangers/hockey has changed from say 1970 to 2012? Or from 1980/1990 to 2012?
Well... I had a lengthy response all typed out, but I guess I timed out -- it never posted and I had to log in again. So I'll try to retype from memory (and hopefully keep it shorter).

We have a sports producer here who's been doing it for decades. Knows nearly every person who ever worked for every sport's teams. This guy is also a die-hard Ranger fan. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know. He would say that back in the 70s/80s, the Rangers at least "seemed" more popular.

Here's why -- back then, the Rangers were kind of like the "playboys" of the sports world. See Duguay, or the jeans commercial, etc. Nowadays, you have football or basketball players shooting themselves in the leg, or doing blow of a Craigslist girl's taint. You'd never hear of something like that in the past. But when it came to "fun" teams, the Rangers were it. The city loved them.

Also -- and here's the main point -- there were only 3 or 4 channels and 2 major papers. Today, there's simply too much stuff flying at the consumers' heads. It takes a lot to break through the cacophony of crap. Also, back then stations had far more resources committed to covering sports. Papers had oodles of beat writers for everything. Today -- there's cutbacks everywhere. My former station cut it's entire sports department. My current one won't, thankfully. I doubt any other NYC station will. But papers are cutting staff left, right and center.

Long story short -- hockey (and the Rangers) at least "seemed" more popular in the past. Obviously, it's not true statistic-wise. There's more people packed into this city, and there's more fans. But media-wise, hockey doesn't get enough coverage. There's limited time, and limited resources -- and it goes to the mainstays. But even that is getting cut, and I'm sure it's a matter of time until you find a Yankees or Giants message board bemoaning the fact that the highlights were too short on the 11pm news.

The Rangers are wildly, wildly popular. Don't get me wrong. Within the scope of the hockey world, they are kings. But from a media standpoint, hockey just doesn't get respect. The feeling is that hockey isn't popular among the general public. It's wrong, but that's what the feeling is.

I will say the Rangers have been stellar in trying to boost the coverage for the team, and it's popularity. They've been sending some of the Ranger legends to stations for interviews, or other events. And the team is making great use of social media -- Re-tweets on Twitter, posting fan photos on FB, etc. That sort of thing cements a fan as a die-hard. The team's PR staff knows the best way to build the fan base is to cement the fans as die-hards. Make it so they can't help but love this team.

That's what they do right. What they do wrong, is the ticket prices. This is a rant for another time. But I've brought hockey newbies to their first game, and they're fans for life. But a family of 4 is now forced to pay a small fortune for a single night at the old barn. It's a shame, really. But, that's reality. And it's an argument for another time.

I do think hockey will continue to grow in popularity. It will never surpass baseball or football on the back pages or on the nightly sportscast. But it will get more popular, the fans will be more passionate, and the sport will do just fine. As long as it gets rid of that stupid shootout.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnyr View Post
Well... I had a lengthy response all typed out, but I guess I timed out -- it never posted and I had to log in again. So I'll try to retype from memory (and hopefully keep it shorter).

We have a sports producer here who's been doing it for decades. Knows nearly every person who ever worked for every sport's teams. This guy is also a die-hard Ranger fan. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know. He would say that back in the 70s/80s, the Rangers at least "seemed" more popular.

Here's why -- back then, the Rangers were kind of like the "playboys" of the sports world. See Duguay, or the jeans commercial, etc. Nowadays, you have football or basketball players shooting themselves in the leg, or doing blow of a Craigslist girl's taint. You'd never hear of something like that in the past. But when it came to "fun" teams, the Rangers were it. The city loved them.

Also -- and here's the main point -- there were only 3 or 4 channels and 2 major papers. Today, there's simply too much stuff flying at the consumers' heads. It takes a lot to break through the cacophony of crap. Also, back then stations had far more resources committed to covering sports. Papers had oodles of beat writers for everything. Today -- there's cutbacks everywhere. My former station cut it's entire sports department. My current one won't, thankfully. I doubt any other NYC station will. But papers are cutting staff left, right and center.

Long story short -- hockey (and the Rangers) at least "seemed" more popular in the past. Obviously, it's not true statistic-wise. There's more people packed into this city, and there's more fans. But media-wise, hockey doesn't get enough coverage. There's limited time, and limited resources -- and it goes to the mainstays. But even that is getting cut, and I'm sure it's a matter of time until you find a Yankees or Giants message board bemoaning the fact that the highlights were too short on the 11pm news.

The Rangers are wildly, wildly popular. Don't get me wrong. Within the scope of the hockey world, they are kings. But from a media standpoint, hockey just doesn't get respect. The feeling is that hockey isn't popular among the general public. It's wrong, but that's what the feeling is.

I will say the Rangers have been stellar in trying to boost the coverage for the team, and it's popularity. They've been sending some of the Ranger legends to stations for interviews, or other events. And the team is making great use of social media -- Re-tweets on Twitter, posting fan photos on FB, etc. That sort of thing cements a fan as a die-hard. The team's PR staff knows the best way to build the fan base is to cement the fans as die-hards. Make it so they can't help but love this team.

That's what they do right. What they do wrong, is the ticket prices. This is a rant for another time. But I've brought hockey newbies to their first game, and they're fans for life. But a family of 4 is now forced to pay a small fortune for a single night at the old barn. It's a shame, really. But, that's reality. And it's an argument for another time.

I do think hockey will continue to grow in popularity. It will never surpass baseball or football on the back pages or on the nightly sportscast. But it will get more popular, the fans will be more passionate, and the sport will do just fine. As long as it gets rid of that stupid shootout.
Great post. That's all I got.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Right now in my office the Rangers are the Number One thing talked about, even more so over the Yankees. Even the Fed-ex and Ups guys who come in daily talk ranger hockey, even more so then the Knicks.

To be realistic this is most likely because baseball season is way to early for people to get into,football draft is over, and the knicks are getting destroyed.

It has been the perfect storm for hockey around white plains

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Whoever is winning is the most popular team in NY. Whenever a NY team makes a deep playoff run, they're the big thing going.

However, regularly,
Yankees
Giants
Jets
Mets
Knicks
Rangers
others

No way Mets are more popular than the Giants and Jets. This may be a baseball town, but it's a Yankees town first and foremost and it's not even close. Jets and Giants are almost split these days. Giants are probably a little more popular, but I don't think the gap is as big as it used to be.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:08 AM
coasterbill

New York is one of the few baseball cities left in America. The Yankees own this town and the Mets are extremely popular when they actually have a winning season but that hasn't happened in awhile.

For the last decade or so, the Yankees, Giants, Jets and Mets have gotten most of the time on talk radio (though when they talk about the Mets it usually involves a lot of complaining). You wouldn't know the Rangers, Nets, Knicks, Islanders and Devils existed.

This season people are really talking about the Knicks and Rangers. Personally I don't get the love-fest for the Knicks. The Lin thing was fun but this team was never that good. Despite this, they got way more coverage than the Rangers until the last few weeks which annoyed me because the Rangers have a chance to win a title and the Knicks were doomed to be a one and done team.

With all of this being said, the cool thing about New York is that there are so many different kinds of people here that you'll have no problem finding hockey fans. Even if the team doesn't always get the attention of the sports radio stations they will be the focus of a ton of blogs and podcasts and the city will get behind them if they make an exciting playoff run.

I still say the experience of actually going to a Rangers game is the best sports experience in the city. While the Yankees sell 48,000 tickets every night, the stadium usually ends up with 48,000 quiet fans who aren't watching the game (God I miss the real Yankee Stadium). The Garden is always full of die-hards and when we score a big goal you will literally feel the garden shake.

coasterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:12 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It doesn't help that on WFAN that almost all of the hosts are Mets fans.

Boomer
Carton
Benigno
Roberts
Somers

all Mets fans. I think Fatcesa is the only Yankees fan on that station. Makes the Mets talk that much more prevalent.

If the Rangers win tonight (or Saturday if necessary), then I think the Rangers talk will be much more prevalent. Especially for a Rangers vs. Devils series.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Stepan Razor

People forget that down to its core, NY - especially Manhattan - is a basketball town. I wouldn't argue that the Knicks could ever eclipse the Yankees, but when they are good (like back in the 90's and all the way back to the 70's), they're the 2nd most popular team in the city.

Basically, the more successful the team, the more media attention it gets. The last time the Rangers won a cup the NHL went directly into a lockout and it absolutely KILLED the NYR buzz in the city.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:52 PM
BlessThisMess11

When they are winning they are huge, New York in my opinion is the #1 Bandwagon City. Look at what happened to the Giants this year, the Jets the previous two years went to the AFCCG and every one was a Jets fan, the Giants go on a tear and everyone and their mother was a Giants fan and forgot about the Jets. Its very very annoying stick to your team people through thick and thin.

BlessThisMess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess11 View Post
When they are winning they are huge, New York in my opinion is the #1 Bandwagon City. Look at what happened to the Giants this year, the Jets the previous two years went to the AFCCG and every one was a Jets fan, the Giants go on a tear and everyone and their mother was a Giants fan and forgot about the Jets. Its very very annoying stick to your team people through thick and thin.
I must admit that I am never satisfied when it comes to hockey coverage in this area. I spend most of my time lamenting the fact that nobody in the media/sports radio will spend 2 minutes discussing the Rangers, but then when the media starts talking/writing about hockey their lack of knowledge about it is so overwhelming that it bothers me.
Listening to Mike Francessa interview Micheletti is horrific. He doesn't even have good questions to ask. I bet he does not even know that Micheletti isnt even convering the Rangers now that NBC has taken over everything.

The good news is that ice hockey is booming amongst kids (at least in LI, NJ, and CT) so the fan base should/will grow over the next 10 years.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:08 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessThisMess11 View Post
To be fair, NYC does have two teams in every sport (Basketball will now have two, too). There are fans who root for both teams in any said sport; an oddity but they're out there. The media will always be neutral until a team makes it to the playoffs. If it's possible for two NY teams to play against one another in the finals, they will try to hype that to hell and back.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
BlessThisMess11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
I must admit that I am never satisfied when it comes to hockey coverage in this area. I spend most of my time lamenting the fact that nobody in the media/sports radio will spend 2 minutes discussing the Rangers, but then when the media starts talking/writing about hockey their lack of knowledge about it is so overwhelming that it bothers me.
Listening to Mike Francessa interview Micheletti is horrific. He doesn't even have good questions to ask. I bet he does not even know that Micheletti isnt even convering the Rangers now that NBC has taken over everything.

The good news is that ice hockey is booming amongst kids (at least in LI, NJ, and CT) so the fan base should/will grow over the next 10 years.
Fatcessa is horrible in general, I can't stand to listen to him. Hockey in general I think is booming because of the Rangers, I play out in brooklyn and I speak to the people who run the league and they are starting different divisions because of the overwhelming amount of people who want to join or want to get "back" into playing again. When the Rangers do halfway decent hockey wins which is nice.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:16 PM
BlessThisMess11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
To be fair, NYC does have two teams in every sport (Basketball will now have two, too). There are fans who root for both teams in any said sport; an oddity but they're out there. The media will always be neutral until a team makes it to the playoffs. If it's possible for two NY teams to play against one another in the finals, they will try to hype that to hell and back.
That's fair, I don't think my gripe is really with the media, thats their job. Its more with people who are on the bandwagon to me I don't think it is fair to call yourself a "fan" of a team if you like two teams. I may be the only one that feels this way. I think it is fair to say that you root for X Y or Z team, but to say you are a fan bothers me. Once again I may be in the minority regarding this.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Razor View Post
People forget that down to its core, NY - especially Manhattan - is a basketball town. I wouldn't argue that the Knicks could ever eclipse the Yankees, but when they are good (like back in the 90's and all the way back to the 70's), they're the 2nd most popular team in the city.

Basically, the more successful the team, the more media attention it gets. The last time the Rangers won a cup the NHL went directly into a lockout and it absolutely KILLED the NYR buzz in the city.
I disagree....a lot.

The Knicks are a stupid team in a dumb sport.
No town in America would have the NBA above the NFL...EVER.
And New York is no different.

1. Yanks

2. Giants
3. Mets
4. Jets

5. Knicks
6. Rangers (they flip).

But do not give me "NY is a basketball town" please...that is a myth. NO SELF RESPECTING fan would place basketball over football. Nor would they place the NBA (a gimmick league) over the NFL. Nobody would desire an O'Brien trophy from 1946 over a Super Bowl. NONE.

So let's face the facts.

Jax1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
I disagree....a lot.

The Knicks are a stupid team in a dumb sport.
No town in America would have the NBA above the NFL...EVER.
And New York is no different.

1. Yanks

2. Giants
3. Mets
4. Jets

5. Knicks
6. Rangers (they flip).

But do not give me "NY is a basketball town" please...that is a myth. NO SELF RESPECTING fan would place basketball over football. Nor would they place the NBA (a gimmick league) over the NFL. Nobody would desire an O'Brien trophy from 1946 over a Super Bowl. NONE.

So let's face the facts.
The only fact I can face from that rant is that you hate basketball. Go cry some more about it, someone might even give you a tissue.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote