HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

What keeps you going?

Old
05-08-2012, 08:51 PM
vandyfan84

vCash: 500
What keeps you going?

In my 27 years as a sports fan, exactly one of my teams has ever won a title, the 1995 Atlanta Braves.

I often wonder, "what if I never witness another title?" not in baseball, in all my team sports. I am a Preds, Titans, Braves, and Vanderbilt sports fan. The last time my team was close was last years college world series when Vandy made it to Omaha.

So what keeps you going? It gets really disheartening to see seasons end in a loss. I honestly don't even know what i would do if the Preds hoisted the cup, te Titans won a Super Bowl, the braves won another world series, or of Vanderbilt actually won a game...lol.

Ugh...this offseason is gonna suck.

Last edited by vandyfan84: 05-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.
vandyfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Insanepredator

Send a message via Skype™ to Insanepredator
I guess I'm lucky I've seen 3:

1997&2003 World Series (Marlins)
2010 BCS Title (Auburn)

Also seen 3 runner ups:

2003 Superbowl loss (Panthers)
2003 Undefeated BCS #2 (Auburn)
2008 MLS Cup loss (Red Bulls)

Insanepredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
AEM6729

Well, ILikeItILoveIt is my dad, so usually I just get really depressed and negative and then he gives me a ridiculously optimistic inspirational speech and I feel better for awhile. Generally talking to anyone who has a long legacy of cheering for historically crappy teams can help.

Plus the Preds are pretty good at throwing you just enough of a bone to keep the faith.

It is depressing though to think that I could potentially go my entire life without ever seeing us win the Cup.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
NoNecksCurse

lucky im a die hard bama fan and we have saban... so ill continue to see titles like 09 and 11..

braves are my other team (1995)

titans can suck... oh well

id trade every one of my other teams titles for one from the preds. can't wait for that to happen.. will be a dream come true for me

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
My usual habit in years past has been to lean on my Buckeyes (we have three generations' worth of family members with close ties to tOSU, so everyone's a fan). Unfortunately, that kind of fell down this year.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Legionnaire11

in my sporting life i've only seen the watched the Phillies in the world series in 2008. I've watched the Phillies lose the World Series in 2009 and 1993, the 76ers lose the NBA championship in 2001, the Eagles lose the Super Bowl in 2005, the Titans lose the Super Bowl in 2000 the Flyers lose the Stanley Cup in 2010, 1997 and 1987. It was the '87 finals run that started my real interest in sports.

It helps to have so many teams to constantly root for, though I don't pull for the Eagles much these days. I didn't even include MTSU, Vandy and Penn State athletics. Those three institutions provide A LOT of relief from such a wide variety of sports. I also get excited about special events such as the Olympics, and world championships in hockey and soccer. I'll watch a boxing match anytime, anywhere regardless of who is fighting.

when sports fail me, there is always music to escape to.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:47 PM
brah

never seen either of my teams win.

brah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:32 PM
vandyfan84

The thing about the braves title is, the city of Nashville has never seen a title. I love this city and I can't think of a more Deserving city. Whether it be the titans or Preds or both, if we ever win a title....I'll be at that parade probably in tears.

I shed tears when Vandy basketball won the sec tournament this year

Old
05-08-2012, 11:40 PM
tnvol

Loyalty.

tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
It helps to have so many teams to constantly root for, though I don't pull for the Eagles much these days. I didn't even include MTSU, Vandy and Penn State athletics. Those three institutions provide A LOT of relief from such a wide variety of sports. .
how are the the Blue Raiders? i have an aunt who teaches there but i've never seen them play. strange as i think i've seen all the other sun-belt schools on tv at some point over the years.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:46 AM
vandyfan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
how are the the Blue Raiders? i have an aunt who teaches there but i've never seen them play. strange as i think i've seen all the other sun-belt schools on tv at some point over the years.
This past year was rough. I'm an MTSU alumnus, class of 2008. It's been rough ever since the New Orleans bowl of 2009. I honestly am a die hard Vandy fan and a casual MTSU fan even though I went there. I went to my first Vandy game when I was 4. I didn't go to my first MTSU game until my junior year lol.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:50 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
What keeps me going? The feeling of complete euphoria when my teams have won championships and the wanting to feel that again. It's just an exciting time knowing that someone is going to win and it very well could be my team.

Preds...
Penguins .... 91, 92, 09 and one cup loss
Pirates... never in my lifetime. I root every year just hoping for .500 ...or not to lose 100 games.
Steelers.... 05, 09, and 2 SB losses in my lifetime.

Pitt/Penn St. have a few league championships in different sports. PSU has a co-national championship (Should have been theirs only!), but all others were before I was born. Neither really look too close to any kind of championship any time soon.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:55 AM
predwings

I really have a lot invested in the Preds as well..so it really hurts when we don't go all the way. But I just take some time away and then fall back in love with the chase next year.

I have Bama as my anchor though I guess. I have to admit though...I was too young to watch the title back in 92 so winning one again in 09 was one of the most amazing things ever. Winning again in 11 was just as awesome if not more awesome. Everyone expected us to beat Texas...this year we were supposed to get slaughtered...and we put a whooping on LSU.

I don't really follow any NBA team or anything and Braves are my MLB team and loved them winning the series but they've just not gotten where they need to be lately. The Preds are definitely the most consistent team in Nashville as far as being in the playoffs...just wish they could finish the season on the highest note of all.

The Titans coming close in 2000 was so heartbreaking but I root for them every single year no matter how good or bad they are.

However, Alabama and the Preds are the only places I've ever had season tickets for.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:05 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
I have seen lots of cups won in my life by my HABS I was even born in a cup winning year for them in 69. I am pissed that is has been so long between wins and I am starting to get very restless hopefully our new management and getting rid of a bunch of deadwood will help us out. I just look at all our cup wins and remember the greatness and history of the franchise I follow and know that we will be back there again and it damn well better be soon lol. These are the ones I have been around for. It also helps that we hold a record for fewest losses in a season at a meager 8 losses which I do not think will ever be broken. That was in 76-77 which is also in the same season we set a record for most points ina season with 132 points. another record setting stat . Greatest goal differential: +216, by 1976–77 Montreal Canadiens
Best Power Play Percentage in a season: 31.88%, by 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens
Most Stanley Cups: 23, by the Montreal Canadiens (the Canadiens have won the Stanley Cup 24 times, but their first win came in 1916, before the NHL existed)
Most consecutive Stanley Cup wins: 5, by the Montreal Canadiens (1956–1960)
Most consecutive Stanley Cup Finals appearances: 10, by the Montreal Canadiens (1951–1960)

1968–69, 1970–71, 1972–73, 1975–76, 1976–77, 1977–78, 1978–79, 1985–86, 1992–93) cup wins I was alive for.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:11 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I'm originally from Boise Idaho and the biggest sporting event to really happen for us was BSU beating the Sooners in that first Fiesta bowl. Sadly I had just moved to Taiwan when they won that.

Can see my favorite other teams in my banner. Different reasons for liking each of them.

As for the Predators, well honestly I've always liked the team, organization and fans and well, I will always root for this team even if (hope not!) I'm never able to go to a Predators game in person.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:56 AM
predfan24

I'm a casual Titans fan but the only franchise I'm a really hardcore fan of is the Preds. What keeps me going? Quite simply I love the Preds and I love hockey. No matter how mad or disappointed I get I will never not be a huge fan. They have me hooked for life. With every new year will come new optimism.

I know what I would do if the Preds ever won the cup. I would cry. I'm man enough to admit it. It would be tears of joy. Hopefully one day I will get to experience that feeling. Until then I'll be here following this team with all my heart through its ups and downs.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:28 AM
VFL615*

I have been lucky. I came to love the Reds instead of the Braves when i was a kid. I got to enjoy the Reds beat the all mighty A's in the 1990 world series.
I have seen Vandy basketball get some huge wins over Kentucky in my lifetime.
Titans went to the Super Bowl and was probably the hardest loss i have taken so far.
I was also lucky enough to see my mighty orange and white in the 90's.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:57 AM
tserberis*

My family keeps me going...
The rest is irrelivant.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:59 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm a Notre Dame, Predators, Titans and Yankees fan.

So, I've gone through some good times and some bad times.

In the end, it's just a sport that I should enjoy watching no matter what happens, when I get out of line, is when I forget that. I'm almost 40 now, maybe I'll get it under control soon....

My all time favorite teams though, are the ones my kids play on, so I win no matter what there....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:01 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
The rest is irrelivant.
Good point. Any kind of perspective helps keep a hardcore sports fan going. Whether that's the perspective of being a longtime fan of teams who suck so you have more tolerance for the ups and downs, or your family, or whatever.

For me, it's my job. I'm a nurse, and it always helps me after a tough loss to go to work where I'm helping people that are literally facing life and death battles to remember that in the big scheme of things, hockey is just a game and whatever happens on the ice isn't that big of a deal.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:33 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
The rest is irrelivant.
Obviously I'm sure OP meant what keeps you going as a sports fan? All of us are passionate about sports or we wouldn't be here but I think most people realize it's an escape; not life and death.

I love Preds and hockey. For those few hours I'm watching the game I completely forget about all the stresses and worries of real life.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Red sox and Patriots fan. I'd comment more but Token might pull a happy Gilmore a try and make BFC sashimi.

Fact is this, losses hurt but they also make you hungry

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

the fact that I'm still alive keeps me going & employed

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
ThirdManIn