HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johansen's role next year

Old
05-02-2012, 04:03 AM
Cyclones Rock

vCash: 500
I think that you give the kid a top 9 spot and put him in the line up no matter how he plays for the first 30-40 games or so. The 4rth line is a ridiculous spot for him so there's no point whatsoever to placing him there. I'd also give him some 2nd unit power play time as well.

If he swims; great. If he's not performing at an acceptable level, then let him gain some confidence in the AHL. A 30-40 game trial will give him enough time to prove that he belongs in the NHL. If he isn't cutting it, then he'll have a large enough sample of relevant experience so that he will know what he has to improve upon when he is sent to the AHL. I would see no point in letting him flounder at the NHL for a full season. His last half season couldn't have done much for his confidence and if he doesn't show either adequate results or significant improvement in the first half of next season, then leaving him in the NHL wouldn't probably be the best option for his development.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:56 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kington87 View Post
So why exactly did we draft Picard so high if he is the 'ugliest skater ever' and why the hell did we advise him to start playing grinder? Is that not mismanagement to a tee?
He was Hockey News' 8th best draft pick

And there wasn't much else available that year- guys like Krejci,Dubinsky,Booth,Stafford and a guy named Cory Schneider.

Oh and who can forget Pineault and Kyle Wharton

Google the 2004 draft and see who we passed up. And if you really want to get a feel for our drafting prowess check other years too.

I swear Hockey News was our draft guide for many years.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
So why exactly did we draft Picard so high if he is the 'ugliest skater ever' and why the hell did we advise him to start playing grinder? Is that not mismanagement to a tee?
MacLean was touting him having scored the most goals of any one in his draft (more than Ovechkin or Malkin)

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:30 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
MacLean was touting him having scored the most goals of any one in his draft (more than Ovechkin or Malkin)
Yes, but Malkin with Ovie played among men, Picard among juniors.

To Johansen, IMO the camp shows all, now is too soon speculate.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:56 AM
alphafox

I think that whatever happens, Johan needs to play. We have had so many issues with our picks, but many of the problems relate to the fact that the player's weren't self motivated (Voracek, Filatov, Zherdev, Rusty, etc.) and needed a good coach to motivate them (which we really haven't had).

Johan seems to be a self starter and as long he is given opportunity to play he will improve. Just look at when he got back into the line up at the end of this year. He had the talent and desire, but was lacking in the physical tools to make it work. Let him get himself into better condition and the go from there. Johan was in one of the most difficult positions for a rookie, he was to good for juniors and wasn't really improving playing against inferior competition, however the actual physical tools he has at 19 meant he wasn't ready to be in the NHL for a full season. I don't think by any measure we have ruined Johan, could he have been handled better, yes, but he will still develop into a great player if he is given the opportunity to play.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Mike Bossy Trophy (French:Trophée Michel Bossy) is awarded annually to the player in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League judged to be the best professional prospect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Bossy_Trophy

Pic was the winner for 03-04.

Previous winners at that time included Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Ales Hemsky, Antoine Vermette, Vincent Lecavalier, and Roberto Luongo. Subsequent winners have included Sean Couturier, Brandon Gormley, and Sidney Crosby.

Of course, Alexandre Daigle also won this one... maybe the secret is to never draft anyone out of the Q named Alex.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:02 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Picard was able to get things done in Juniors. Had he not have his knee injury, he would be a 4th liner in the NHL. He was actually fast even if his skating style was ugly.

A lot of Jackets prospects have been ruined by wanting to come in and show they could handle the physical play in the NHL. It's the mentality of wanting to make an impression with the big hit or showing you can be defensively responsible and forgetting that the object of the game is to put the puck into the net.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Everyone thought that Picard was a first-line power forward in the making. It wasn't a reach of a pick at 8th either; he was a consensus top-10 pick. Everyone thought that he would score

It could be argued that he was exactly the wrong type of player for the post-lockout NHL.

Quote:
There have been plenty of ugly skaters who have had great NHL success, and plenty of beautiful skaters who have done nothing. I'd have to imagine that him becoming more of a grinder was hoping to find anything that would allow him to be an NHL player.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I actually have this bookmarked: it's Kyle Woodlief's 2004 draft guide. Here's his take on Picard.

Quote:
Awkward skating style, but still a very good skater with speed and agility. Excellent acceleration with the puck, very good outside speed. A natural goal scorer with sniper’s touch around net, and also a good playmaker. Has good size, grit and intensity. Sneaky and always a threat. Very opportunistic – lurks, then pounces. Doesn’t need a lot of chances to score. Disruptive forechecker who finishes checks. Smooth and fluid with very soft hands. Fights hard to get himself to open ice in scoring territory, then makes sure he’s always ready for the pass with his stick on the ice - a small, but important point. Clutch player who really stepped it up another notch in the playoffs. Improving defensively and gives an honest effort. Projection: 2nd liner for middle tier club. Style compares to: Michael Ryder
This is the only guy who had him outside the top-10, and he's ranked 16th. He had Radulov higher than anyone (4th), Lauri Tukonen higher than anyone (5th), Marek Schwarz over Al Montoya (7th compared to 11th), AJ Thelen and Picard lower than anyone (17th and 16th), and Mike Green higher than anyone (18th).

Old
05-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Yes, but Malkin with Ovie played among men, Picard among juniors.
I knew that right after MacLean opened his mouth and said it. I'm pretty sure a TV commentator pointed it to MacLean

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
and needed a good coach to motivate them (which we really haven't had).

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyAlibi View Post
A good coach, as many are, but whether he was coaching the things that worked in the NHL at the time with the folks he had is a matter of much hashed over debate.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 04:39 PM
FlaggerX

Everyone agrees the Johan needs to play, though he has to win a job in camp, and I'm fine with him starting the season in the AHL as a top-six center. Let's face it, he had a fine camp but nobody thought he was ready last year, but nobody wanted him to go back to juniors. He needed tougher competition, and he found it.

I'd rather he go slow and play in Springfiled with people like Kubalik and gain confidence plus top line minutes then play as a checker here. And this year we have that as an option. If he's here, play him on the second line and let the third go to Letestu. Test Tube played well for us but we need more in the top six.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
His role should be whatever Springfield's new coach says it is.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:00 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
i actually liked picard the last year he was here in a bottom six role, wish he coulda stayed... oh well

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyAlibi View Post
He wasn't a good coach in 2009-2011. That was when high flying offense was the recipe for success.

Now that great defense and goaltending is the recipe, he's an excellent coach. The problem is Howson didn't see this league transition coming.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:10 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
He wasn't a good coach in 2009-2011. That was when high flying offense was the recipe for success.

Now that great defense and goaltending is the recipe, he's an excellent coach. The problem is Howson didn't see this league transition coming.
Oh boy.

So what about Johansen?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Nikita Filatov

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
Everyone agrees the Johan needs to play, though he has to win a job in camp, and I'm fine with him starting the season in the AHL as a top-six center. Let's face it, he had a fine camp but nobody thought he was ready last year, but nobody wanted him to go back to juniors. He needed tougher competition, and he found it.

I'd rather he go slow and play in Springfiled with people like Kubalik and gain confidence plus top line minutes then play as a checker here. And this year we have that as an option. If he's here, play him on the second line and let the third go to Letestu. Test Tube played well for us but we need more in the top six.
He sure as hell looked ready the first 20-30 games or so.

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:50 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
He sure as hell looked ready the first 20-30 games or so.
Gotta agree, The first 20 games or so he looked good and when he came back after the time in the press box he looked pretty decent. I think that he really was having conditioning issues. Johan tried to put mass on and his conditioning suffered, he is still a kid and now needs to balance size and staying power. He has the talent he just needs time.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Oh boy.

So what about Johansen?
Folks have to use any thread allowed to voice their frustration in CBJ Sudetenland... (Pete can define Sudetenland if inclined)

But yeah, wrong thread.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Xoggz22

Wait, isn't Johansen going to Edmonton this off season? I read this on the mains....

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Wait, isn't Johansen going to Edmonton this off season? I read this on the mains....
Only if Howson cuts a deal with his few loser friends he still has in Edmonton...

Johansen is a good player, how good I don't know; as long as the CBJ don't muck him up he should be fine... There is an alternative, trade him to see how well he does once outside of the CBJ organization...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:16 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Nevermind his skating, Picard could never keep his stick on the ice. He might have had a few garbage goals with the CBJ had he been able to do that. Not all his fault, with Doug MacLean's pechant for throwing first rounders to the wolves without proper and total development, Picard is easily one the biggest disappointments and organizational failures in 12 years. Looking back, Picard was probably a long term developmental project.

RyJo should be playing top six minutes. I'd pencil him in the number 2 center position and have him play there. They had their chance to send him back to Portland and they didn't, that meant they were intent on having him play, so play the kid. Go get another center to serve as the number 1 and have RyJo on the second line. Brass on the third.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Yeah, 'cause we need Eberle to shore up our RW.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Nevermind his skating, Picard could never keep his stick on the ice. He might have had a few garbage goals with the CBJ had he been able to do that. Not all his fault, with Doug MacLean's pechant for throwing first rounders to the wolves without proper and total development, Picard is easily one the biggest disappointments and organizational failures in 12 years. Looking back, Picard was probably a long term developmental project.
Picard was drafted in 2004 and went right back to Lewiston. He was in Syracuse for most of 2005-06 and had a couple of callups to the NHL. The same thing happened the next year. MacLean got fired, Howson came in, and Picard spent almost that entire year in Syracuse. And the next year. And the next year. Finally, he was traded for Chad Kolarik.

Picard's games played in the NHL were 17, 23, 3, 15, and 9. He was far from "rushed", didn't spent time on the top lines, and wasn't given more than he could have handled. In retrospect, I think we have to accept that he wasn't really that good of a prospect in the first place. He may have been better suited for a pre-lockout NHL, where a slow player with a choppy stride who could drive to the net would be able to make it. In a post-lockout NHL, with a much greater emphasis on speed and mobility, he had no chance unless he had the hockey IQ of someone like Jason Allison, who had a very similar skillset and was every bit as slow.