HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barry Trotz needs to be fired

Old
05-08-2012, 06:22 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Trotz is 19-41 in the post season. That's not going to get it done.
5-5 this season. 6-6 last post season. 11-11 over the past two years.

The Blues went 4-5 this playoffs. The Hawks are 5-8 over the past two years. The Wings are 8-8 over the last two playoffs. Pitt at 5-8 those last two post seasons. A bit of comparison.

03-04 came with such high expectations ... just like 07-08 following the fire sale.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:32 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
A neck?
This is hilarious. My mom brought this up last game

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:52 PM
MattPreds37

I dont even think Mike Smith played that well in this series as it is that we played like trash. We made him look fantastic in games 4 and 5 without one memorable save.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:52 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
it is a compliment to trotz. he's done well here but not great. im honestly leaning to a personnel change before trotz (sk, fisher, leggy, ect)..
Good is the enemy of Great. As much as I hate to say it, the personelle is there but I think it needs a coaching change.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Falconboy View Post
Sometimes nothing needs to be done as far as changing people. Sometimes, you just need to play better with the same guys.
The only person who can motivate them and teach them to do that is the coach.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Good is the enemy of Great. As much as I hate to say it, the personelle is there but I think it needs a coaching change.
I agree we had, on paper, a better roster than Phoenix, but can you honestly say we had a better one than Pittsburgh, Vancouver, San Jose, or Boston? (all of whom were eliminated before us)

Am I the only one that think this year wasnt as terrible as everyone is saying? We were the #7 team in the league while having the #26 payroll. We beat Detroit for the first time ever, both in the regular season AND the playoffs. We had the 3rd most points in the west. We set a record for sellouts.

Could we have gone farther? Of course. But all 16 teams in the playoffs have a decent chance to make the conference finals (who had PHX vs. LA?), so I feel no shame in being in the final 8. We made it farther than any other central division team. We made it farther than Vancouver, or any other Canadian team for that matter. This year was NOT failure.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:08 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Am I the only one that think this year wasnt as terrible as everyone is saying? We were the #7 team in the league while having the #26 payroll. We beat Detroit for the first time ever, both in the regular season AND the playoffs. We had the 3rd most points in the west. We set a record for sellouts.

Could we have gone farther? Of course. But all 16 teams in the playoffs have a decent chance to make the conference finals (who had PHX vs. LA?), so I feel no shame in being in the final 8. We made it farther than any other central division team. We made it farther than Vancouver, or any other Canadian team for that matter. This year was NOT failure.
It's hard for me to feel this way.

The fact is, teams like ours, especially ones on a budget, operate within windows. Pretty soon, our young cheap ELC guys won't be so cheap anymore. Who knows what uniform 2 of our 3 best players will be wearing. The farm is already getting a little bit thin of the really high end talent, and we don't have those top 10/15 picks to restock.

Once that window closes and we're back to rebuilding, I don't think looking back and saying, "Geez, we beat Detroit in the playoffs, that's good enough for me" is going to make me feel any better.

The NHL is kind of like college basketball. More than half the teams make the playoffs. Making the playoffs is no great feat. No matter what you do in the regular season, you're judged by what you do in the playoffs.

On the face of it, finishing in the top 8 of the NHL is not so bad. Last year, I was happy with the finish. But in a year where everything really pointed to something special - to lose like we lost is hard to take.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
It's hard for me to feel this way.

The fact is, teams like ours, especially ones on a budget, operate within windows. Pretty soon, our young cheap ELC guys won't be so cheap anymore. Who knows what uniform 2 of our 3 best players will be wearing. The farm is already getting a little bit thin of the really high end talent, and we don't have those top 10/15 picks to restock.

Once that window closes and we're back to rebuilding, I don't think looking back and saying, "Geez, we beat Detroit in the playoffs, that's good enough for me" is going to make me feel any better.

The NHL is kind of like college basketball. More than half the teams make the playoffs. Making the playoffs is no great feat. No matter what you do in the regular season, you're judged by what you do in the playoffs.

On the face of it, finishing in the top 8 of the NHL is not so bad. Last year, I was happy with the finish. But in a year where everything really pointed to something special - to lose like we lost is hard to take.
Every loss is hard to take. The thing is this was a team predicted to maybe eek into the playoffs, maybe not. We hit our usual rough spot in Oct/Nov and the boards explode with "fail for nail" and the proclamations that we won't make the playoffs. When we finish 4th in the conference, we have our own fans saying we can't beat the Wings. We do that, then it's the end of the world when we don't win the second round.

I would have preferred to go further because this team had most of the pieces to do so. The thing is ... so do the Yotes ... and the Kings ... so did the Blues, Hawks, Nuks. There were no easy matchups and we just failed to capitalize on as many chances as the Yotes did. It sucks ... it still hurts ... it doesn't make me any less proud of this team's overall performance.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:40 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
I've posted a thread on the main boards about this. Im curious to see what outsiders think.
99% of outsiders would probably kill to have Trotz as their team's coach.

There are definitely things wrong with this team, but Trotz isn't one of them. As much as some things about him bother me (like putting certain players in his doghouse and never letting them out, putting Yip on the PP, etc)...he's tremendously well-liked by the players and well-respected by almost every hockey person out there.

I like the fact that we've gotten to watch the birth of a team, and Trotz and GMDP have been able to put their fingerprints all over it by being our only coach and GM ever. We've had ownership instability and we're currently going through a period of roster instability...Trotz and GMDP have been the only stable things about this franchise. We should keep him.

Also, I can't think of anyone I'd want to replace him.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I agree we had, on paper, a better roster than Phoenix, but can you honestly say we had a better one than Pittsburgh, Vancouver, San Jose, or Boston? (all of whom were eliminated before us)

All great positives, and add to that being one of the, if not the, youngest teams in the league. Was disappointing not to be able to break through to the WCF, but I think the disappointment is magnified by a lot of people believing that the amount of success in this post-season correlated to whether some of our big pieces stay on long-term.

In a vacuum, we had a young team, grabbed home ice in the first round, finished top 10 in the league in scoring, #1 power play, finally beat our nemesis, and played a very hard-fought series against a team that played our game just a bit better than we did. I don't see a ton to hang our heads for, and I also think the fate of Suter, Weber, etc... was decided regardless of how far we went this post-season.

Can't wait til October.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:52 AM
roseyc

This was dissapointing because I thought we had the pieces to at least get to the western conference finals if not win it all. Phoenix outplayed us and beat us to the puck. Smith played good but we didn't challenge him to the point where he had to make the diving or sprawling save. Like Niemi two years ago he made the saves he needed to make and the rest of the Yotes took care of the rest. I thought after we beat Detroit that we would have trouble getting up for another oppenent because the Wings take so much out of us emotionally and when it was the Yotes then it made it more difficult because we didn't have any history with them. We could have won game one and should have. We totally lost game two and looked bad in doing it. Down now 2-0 We responded with total shutdown effort and with the suspension hovering over this team we were spent and never recovered we emptied the tank and had nothing left.. Game 4 The series was over when you can't score in your own barn and loose 1-0. Would Rad and Ak made a difference...we'll never know..but I doubt it. We don't have the leadership offensively to make a difference. Trotz line combos all year are mystifying to say the least and when it comes to the playoffs it gets more charismatic. The decision of Yip is questionable and the way Wilson was handled lacked inovation and ability to adapt to the talent on the ice. Radulov never jelled with anyone but we don't have that type of center to feed him the puck and he started to be the center which left his wings of Legwand and Bourque to do the finishing which proved futile. He waited to long to slide Sk down. I think Trotz would best serve a team like Columbus who is trying to find it's identity we need a coach who can coach both sides not just defense. Tippet showed that the style that we play when played properly has to finish and we haven't come playoff time. Trotz's words and time has come to an end. He can coach the underachieving but not the favorite. But I don't expect anything to happen at all. We'll be doing the same conversation come next spring again...what could have been ....

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:34 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I don't blame Trotz solely for the loss in this series, but I think he was definitely outcoached. It's just funny how everyone gets so defensive of Trotz...like he carries a team of underachievers every year to the promised land.

My opinion on BT is what it has been for a few years now-- he can do more with less than anyone in the league, and I think he'd be a great coach for a rebuilding team. What he's never demonstrated is an ability to get over the hump or adjust his "system" to get around counter-adjustments by the opposing team.

I think he's done a fantastic job for a good many years...but maybe it's time to try something else. You have to reach a point where you look at things and say, "well, this hasn't worked, so let's go another direction."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:58 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

weren't we favored over the wings? he seemed to be fine and outcoach jesus, I mean babcock.

If his message were stale, this team wouldn't have had a 100 point season. If his message were stale, the guys on the ice wouldn't have made it to the second round. If his message were stale, the guys wouldn't have been playing their dicks off to win, even down 3-1.

It's funny how a 5 game stretch is a death blow here. Games 1 and 2 were aberration. from that point on we allow 3 goals in 3 games and lose 2 of them. It wasn't a coaching issue. We dominated most of 3 games. It is hard to beat a goalie, much less 5 guys selling out to block shots and disrupt things.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
weren't we favored over the wings? he seemed to be fine and outcoach jesus, I mean babcock.

If his message were stale, this team wouldn't have had a 100 point season. If his message were stale, the guys on the ice wouldn't have made it to the second round. If his message were stale, the guys wouldn't have been playing their dicks off to win, even down 3-1.

It's funny how a 5 game stretch is a death blow here. Games 1 and 2 were aberration. from that point on we allow 3 goals in 3 games and lose 2 of them. It wasn't a coaching issue. We dominated most of 3 games. It is hard to beat a goalie, much less 5 guys selling out to block shots and disrupt things.
I just wanted this posted again, it's too spot on....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:09 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
To who?

That is the main issue. If you want to get rid of Trotz (I don't), who's out there that is a clear upgrade over him?

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:15 AM
roseyc

Quote:

Quote:
It is hard to beat a goalie, much less 5 guys selling out to block shots and disrupt things
or if you have problems scoring like we do. There was no block shots when Hornqvist shot it over the net on an open net

Old
05-09-2012, 10:16 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
To who?

That is the main issue. If you want to get rid of Trotz (I don't), who's out there that is a clear upgrade over him?
You have to wait until me and David get together and go over the candidates

Old
05-09-2012, 10:21 AM
tserberis*

I don't understand why this conversation is still going. People who wants to fire him don't live in reality, they are dreaming some one else will walk in and deliver same result so consistent with what we have in the locker room.
Majority of NHL teams would like to have Trotz as their coach, but we want to fire

Last edited by tserberis*: 05-09-2012 at 10:32 AM.
tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:22 AM
VFL615*

Quote:

Nicely put. Trotz is far from the problem on this team. The players lost the series to the Yotes not Trotz. If you want to look at firing someone make a thread for SK, AK, AR, Legwand, and Fisher. Those guys need to be called to the carpet not Trotz.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:41 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm curious why you didn't put Erat on your list. Legwand, lead the team in goals and points in the post season. He did have a horrible brain fart but atleast he produced.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:01 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Kind of seems like people want to give Trotz credit for players that do produce, but don't want to give him blame for players that don't...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:25 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
or if you have problems scoring like we do. There was no block shots when Hornqvist shot it over the net on an open net
and that is a coaching problem?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
roseyc

Quote:
and that is a coaching problem?
I was referring to the blocked shots. But line combos and how the pp goes bad in the playoffs. People says it's not his fault it's the players fault but he has all the say who goes on the ice and who doesn't

Old
05-09-2012, 12:56 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Kind of seems like people want to give Trotz credit for players that do produce, but don't want to give him blame for players that don't...
Just as there are people want to give blame to Trotz for things that go wrong but no credit for things that go right.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:38 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm curious why you didn't put Erat on your list. Legwand, lead the team in goals and points in the post season. He did have a horrible brain fart but atleast he produced.
First reason if you watch the games Erat busted his ass in the playoffs and tried his best to make a play. His linemates were SK and Fisher. Enough said.

Legwands brain fart led to the team completely losing momentum in game 2, he was weak on the puck, turned it over numerous times, and forechecked like a 8 y/o. -3 in game 2, -1 in game 4, and an assist on a deflected puck late in the 3rd period of an elimination game for a total of 1 goal an 1 assist in the entire yotes series is not what i am looking for in a number 2 overall pick who is 31 y/o and make 4+ million a year.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote