HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
With Quenneville and Vigneault no longer in the running, I would like to have Lemaire. I really don't want to go down the road of Hartley or Crawford.
No way Lemaire. I hate martin since day one, but i was relieve when then announced him over lemaire.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Well we do know Chicago Blackhawks fire assistant coach Mike Haviland today.‎

We do know 100% Joel Quenneville will be back behind Hawks bench next season .

SO , could we hire Mike Haviland as asst coach ,and have him wear a Joel Quenneville sock puppet behind the bench?

I'm sure Marc Bergevin is considering .
What do you mean by Quenneville's puppet? It was essentially Quenneville who fired Haviland because they weren't on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Groulx has a great track record as a junior coach, he is known to be very demanding and a disciplinarian. I wonder if his iron fist would work with pros though. I would like to see him as an assistant though and potentially groomed as the "next in line".
I'd rather see us give him the Bulldogs head coach job. Assistant coaches rarely ever succeed when they become head coach of the same team where they were assistant coach. It's a totally different relationship with players.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Boulette Cannon

Roy - Coach
Groulx - Assistant-coach

Old
05-09-2012, 08:28 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Not at all.
Why not?

So we can make the mistake of going with a "has-been" just because he has NHL coaching experience, then watch another team hire Roy as head coach and he flourishes and then we're left thinking shoulda woulda coulda..

There aren't any real strong candidates with coaching experience available at this time.

If Roy is willing, why not give him the shot??

This isn't at all like the Gretzky thing.. Roy has been paying his dues in the Q for several yrs now with an excellent track record. As a person, his passion and will to win are unquestionable, and he is part of the habs alumni, in essence, he is a living legend, not only in Montreal but in the NHL.

Also, just having Roy as coach, will definitely create a much welcomed buzz around the team and city to start the season, after last year's nightmare, it will be like a breath of fresh air and create something we haven't had in awhile.. excitement.

Last edited by BobbyFischer*: 05-09-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old
05-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Why not?

So we can make the mistake of going with a "has-been" just because he has NHL coaching experience, then watch another team hire Roy as head coach and he flourishes and then we're left thinking shoulda woulda coulda..

There aren't any real strong candidates with coaching experience available at this time.

If Roy is willing, why not give him the shot??

This isn't at all like the Gretzky thing.. Roy has been paying his dues in the Q for several yrs now with an excellent track record. As a person, his passion and will to win are unquestionable, and he is part of the habs alumni, in essence, he is a living legend, not only in Montreal but in the NHL.

Also, just having Roy as coach, will definitely create a much welcomed buzz around the team and city to start the season, after last year's nightmare, it will be like a breath of fresh air and create something we haven't had in awhile.. excitement.
I think Roy would flourish short term, simply because the team is better than last year's record, especially if Bergevin makes a few solid moves to plug some holes adding a bit of depth plus the lustre of a new coach...BUT I think he isn't a great team player, needs a lot of control, I think that would create issues within the front office. Plus his being very emotional could lead to some bad trades, having to dump player X because he and Roy no longer can operate together.

I know every coach will have his fans and detractors within the room, but with Roy because of his personality will be that much more polarising.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:06 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Hartley and Crawford had won one SC each

Therrien went to the Finals against a very strong Wings team

Roy has won 4 cups as goaltender, 1 Memorial Cup as a coach

Carbo has won 3 Cups as a player and a perennial Selke Trophy + the only 100 points + Habs season in the last decade.

Nothing "terrible" there.

And all these guys can coach in a Montreal media and fans frenzy environment.
Hartley and Crawford have not been NHL coaches in a long time.

Therrien was a terrible coach.

Roy is a sociopath who will quit on the team the minute he isn't happy (already did it once).

Carbo? CARBO? He was the ********* coach we've had in a long time. He was beyond terrible.

waffledave
Old
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think Roy would flourish short term, simply because the team is better than last year's record, especially if Bergevin makes a few solid moves to plug some holes adding a bit of depth plus the lustre of a new coach...BUT I think he isn't a great team player, needs a lot of control, I think that would create issues within the front office. Plus his being very emotional could lead to some bad trades, having to dump player X because he and Roy no longer can operate together.

I know every coach will have his fans and detractors within the room, but with Roy because of his personality will be that much more polarising.
maybe thats why you surround him with players that will balance him out.
Guys like Groulx, Carbo, Robinson, Chelly, Desjardins. Carbo is a great assistant coach, but clearly he could not handle HC duties. Groulx would be great for the youngsters, Robinson has coaching experience in spades and I think can be a calming influence.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Roy is a sociopath who will quit on the team the minute he isn't happy (already did it once).

Carbo? CARBO? He was the ********* coach we've had in a long time. He was beyond terrible.
He also got us 1st in the east and had the most exciting habs team in the last 15 years.
He wasn't as bad as some ppl want to believe, by the same token he wasn't as good as some others want to believe.

Carbo is not made for HC duties but assistant would be perfect.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Great biased analysis...

Way to go, man !

Old
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
macavoy

From what I've read, would it be accurate to describe Roy as a players coach?

Old
05-09-2012, 09:42 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
From what I've read, would it be accurate to describe Roy as a players coach?
I dunno in which extent Molson, and now Bergevin, want to have rookies at GM and headcoaching positions to start next season....

Of course, good assistants at both levels could help.

With the Nordiques far far away now, I guess Roy will think seriously about Montreal's job.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:45 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

The only coach from the Q I'd like right now is Houle, but he's not experienced at all, so in fact, I don't want him.. right now.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Great biased analysis...

Way to go, man !

This is so ironic coming from you.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
The only coach from the Q I'd like right now is Houle, but he's not experienced at all, so in fact, I don't want him.. right now.
Groulx is head and shoulders above Houle.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
macavoy

Quote:
I dunno in which extent Molson, and now Bergevin, want to have rookies at GM and headcoaching positions to start next season....

Of course, good assistants at both levels could help.

With the Nordiques far far away now, I guess Roy will think seriously about Montreal's job.
I wasn't asking about wanting a rookie coach, I was asking about his coaching style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
I am probably in the minority but, I would love to see Ted Nolan behind the bench. He may not be fluent in french (but he does know a little french). He couldn't be worse then Roy on the tantrum scale, and has at least shown he can coach teams to play hard and play solid.
I agree that he's probably the best available coach out there. The problem is he seems to create drama. He did great in New York until he didn't want to rebuild. He did take them to the playoffs and they haven't been there since and have been in a major tailspin since.

He won't even get a sniff though so its a moot point.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:48 AM
habitue*

Quote:
I wasn't asking about wanting a rookie coach, I was asking about his coaching style.

I agree that he's probably the best available coach out there. The problem is he seems to create drama. He did great in New York until he didn't want to rebuild. He did take them to the playoffs and they haven't been there since and have been in a major tailspin since.

He won't even get a sniff though so its a moot point.
Nolan again ? Are you kidding ?

How many headcoaching jobs have been made available throoughout the WHOLE NHL in the last 10-15 yeard and WERE NOT given to Nolan ?

It should tell you somethoing about the guy....

Old
05-09-2012, 09:55 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Nolan again ? Are you kidding ?

How many headcoaching jobs have been made available throoughout the WHOLE NHL in the last 10-15 yeard and WERE NOT given to Nolan ?

It should tell you somethoing about the guy....
You should learn to read better. Both your replies to my posts were completely off tangent. I said I don't want him because of drama and that we won't even consider him.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dave Stubbs ‏ @habsinsideout1

Time is ripe for #Habs to reclaim Larry Robinson. Devils contract expires after playoffs, his work w/ young D would be priceless

---

Seeing what he did with NJ's underwhelming defense, I say Big Bird has to be a priority for Bergevin and his future coach.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:51 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Dave Stubbs ‏ @habsinsideout1

Time is ripe for #Habs to reclaim Larry Robinson. Devils contract expires after playoffs, his work w/ young D would be priceless

---

Seeing what he did with NJ's underwhelming defense, I say Big Bird has to be a priority for Bergevin and his future coach.
wow I had no idea that he was back behind the bench. I can't see him making a lateral move here though, especially after their deep run right now.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:02 AM
pine*

Quote:
wow I had no idea that he was back behind the bench. I can't see him making a lateral move here though, especially after their deep run right now.
Or maybe?

Entendu sur les ondes de TSN 990, Cape a aussi avancé que Robinson ne lorgnait pas un travail d'entraîneur-chef dans la LNH, mais qu'il aimerait revenir à Montréal dans un environnement où la victoire est cruciale.

Robinson aurait maintes fois, en vain, frappé à la porte du Centre Bell au cours des dernières années afin de revenir dans le giron de l'organisation avec laquelle il a connu ses heures de gloire comme joueur. Chaque fois il s'est fait dire qu'il n'y avait pas de poste vacant.

http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...ch-143684.html

Old
05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
katatoniak

98,5 Sports ‏ @985Sports
Robinson écouterait une offre du CH http://*******/JdJp6y #Habs #Montreal #NHL

Old
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Captain Saku

All the hopes I had for this team from the hirings of Bergevin and Dudley would be completely destroyed if we hire Hartley or Crawford as a coach.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:06 AM
charlie

Quote:
That goes for Parise as well.........Lou will have him signed asap.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Boulette Cannon

Wouldn't mind a Roy, Groulx & Robinson combo.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
All the hopes I had for this team from the hirings of Bergevin and Dudley would be completely destroyed if we hire Hartley or Crawford as a coach.
Why Crawford?

Bergevin and Crawford, it is reported have an excellent relationship...I think it's important for the GM and coach to have the same vision and approach.

We've watched what a disconnect between management and the coaching staff does in Montreal.

Given we have a new GM, i'm less interested in the previous record of the impending coach, i'm more interested in seeing if the coach can apply the vision the GM has in place.

Closed Thread