HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need more grit?

Old
05-09-2012, 10:35 AM
flyersfan187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
That says it all
I know...I said that last off season and people called me an idiot. But I basically predicted what happened this season before the season happened. The Flyers will win a decent amount of games in the regular season, but the d-men will get injured and the team will look tired. Then once you play a defensive system team and one that adjusts against the Flyers system that they won't change they will lose. The Flyers play an up tempo system that causes injuries and fatigue. Richards knew it and in turn ended up getting the boot because he didn't agree with it. Now look at how he and L.A. are doing. Its sad really because Lavy does seem like a nice guy, but man is he stubborn.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:52 AM
bp spec

Can't get to much grit.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Didn't we trade an experienced guy who normally played with grit and sandpaper and is doing so again this year in the western conference finals?
Yeah but he also split the locker room in half, and come on let it go, trades happen obviously there were behind the scenes locker room things that didn't line up with what the orginazation wanted, and regardless of how good a player is they are not bigger than the team

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:12 AM
jskramer83

Not sure if adding more Grit would be the answer. As a Ranger fan who watched every game Philly played in the Playoffs, I don't think at anytime I thought that this Philly team was soft, and wasn't going hard into the boards to dig pucks out.

In my opinion the reason that Philly lost, was a lack of veteran leadership. Not a rah rah type guy, but a guy who has won before and could help the young guys remain calm when a call doesn't go there way or the pressure is on.

While Jagr has that experience I don't think he will ever be confused with a true leader, I think getting Pronger back will absolutely be a big help, and maybe adding another vet would help greatly.

Just my thought, otherwise I think you guys are going to be a threat for a long time to come!

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
Yeah but he also split the locker room in half, and come on let it go, trades happen obviously there were behind the scenes locker room things that didn't line up with what the orginazation wanted, and regardless of how good a player is they are not bigger than the team
Funny but I don't ever recall hearing of a split in the room personally caused by Mike Richards and certainly not before Chris Pronger was obtained. Read into that what you will.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I know...I said that last off season and people called me an idiot. But I basically predicted what happened this season before the season happened. The Flyers will win a decent amount of games in the regular season, but the d-men will get injured and the team will look tired. Then once you play a defensive system team and one that adjusts against the Flyers system that they won't change they will lose. The Flyers play an up tempo system that causes injuries and fatigue. Richards knew it and in turn ended up getting the boot because he didn't agree with it. Now look at how he and L.A. are doing. Its sad really because Lavy does seem like a nice guy, but man is he stubborn.
You predicted that the same thing that has happened many times in the past 20 years would happen again? That has a lot less to do with the coach than it does with the nature of the sport.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 06:35 PM
theMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicBRYZ View Post
I want a nasty d-man!
you guys could use 5 or 6 nasty d-men. sucks to see Bryz catch all the blame when the defense is the real problem

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:44 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Funny but I don't ever recall hearing of a split in the room personally caused by Mike Richards and certainly not before Chris Pronger was obtained. Read into that what you will.
Ok so explain to me why this org. shipped out Richards who was the captain and Carter, on the whim that Chris Pronger didn't like them? Or Lavy didn't like them? There is/was obvious situations that us as a fanbase have no clue about that went on behind closed doors is all I'm saying and for what other reason would they ship these two out?

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:33 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
Not sure if adding more Grit would be the answer. As a Ranger fan who watched every game Philly played in the Playoffs, I don't think at anytime I thought that this Philly team was soft, and wasn't going hard into the boards to dig pucks out.

In my opinion the reason that Philly lost, was a lack of veteran leadership. Not a rah rah type guy, but a guy who has won before and could help the young guys remain calm when a call doesn't go there way or the pressure is on.

While Jagr has that experience I don't think he will ever be confused with a true leader, I think getting Pronger back will absolutely be a big help, and maybe adding another vet would help greatly.

Just my thought, otherwise I think you guys are going to be a threat for a long time to come!
I agree that the Flyers aren't soft. I think people are confusing size with grit. Flyers have lots of grit but when you advance in the playoffs all teams have grit. The Flyers have too many small guys that can't win one on one battles. I am not syaing they need all 6'4" guys but they need to replace the Reads and Wellwood tyoes with Hendricks types.

Also, they can't have helf their D Corps uner 6 ft tall and under 200lbs. I think this was due mostly to injury with Pronger, Kubina, Mez and Bourdon both being out. I think if Mez and Kubina were healthy that NJD series would have been different. They may have still lost the series but it wouldn't have been slanted in their own end for 73% of the game.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:24 PM
daynus

grit, sure

looking forward to brayden schenn next year. watched noebels and portland a few games. noebels and peters and a few others are just checking,checking edmonton to shreds. noebels should be ready in a few years. and a guy like wilson from plymouth, may be a guy we look at, at the draft. he is a big boy, rough, takes some silly penalties, but does not back down. can see him scoring some garbage goals in the nhl. sure we can use more grit, but we have some coming down the pipes.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
No we don't need more grit, we need to stop playing pond hockey. A defense first system will produce consistent, deep runs. The most telling thing is in the last two playoff seasons under Lavy, we are 0-13 when we score less than 4 goals.

This team is not built, and does not play a system to win tight checking, low scoring playoff games.

The prosecution rests.
What a terribly misleading stat. The Flyers held Buffalo to less than 3 goals in 4 of the 7 playoff games last year. Was offense only pond hockey the reason Philly lost 2 of those games 1-0?

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:54 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
What a terribly misleading stat. The Flyers held Buffalo to less than 3 goals in 4 of the 7 playoff games last year. Was offense only pond hockey the reason Philly lost 2 of those games 1-0?
It is what it is, a fact. 0-13, and failing to win unless we score 4 or more. The 2 1-0 loses were mostly due to Buffalo dictating the pace of the game, much like the Devils did. Take a look at the final four teams that are left.

No coincidence that all four have an obvious commitment to a defense first style. Hellen Keller and Stevie Wonder could see it. Sorry but history has proven that pond hockey doesn't win Stanley Cups.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
It is what it is, a fact. 0-13, and failing to win unless we score 4 or more. The 2 1-0 loses were mostly due to Buffalo dictating the pace of the game, much like the Devils did. Take a look at the final four teams that are left.

No coincidence that all four have an obvious commitment to a defense first style. Hellen Keller and Stevie Wonder could see it. Sorry but history has proven that pond hockey doesn't win Stanley Cups.
Well, they've won multiple games dating back to last year's playoffs in which the opposition has scored 2 or less. The Flyers just so happened to score 4+ in those games, I guess they should be punished for that.

Here's a list of where each Stanley Cup winner since the lockout finished the regular season in goals scored:

2011: 5th
2010: 3rd
2009: 6th
2008: 3rd
2007: 9th
2006: 3rd

The Flyers lost Pronger early on and had **** goaltending. Bad combo.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Can't get to much grit.
Came to post this. I don't know that there's a team in the league that would say, "nah, we don't want any more grit". Our young guys do definitely need to develop a little more muscle and a little more nasty (think angry Coburn... or this year's playoff Coburn). Couturier needs to get in people's faces like he did in the Pittsburgh series on a more consistent basis. Same can be said of JVR and Voracek.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

We don't need grit, we simply need Dmen who don't make stupid mistakes and aren't named andres Lilja

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:21 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
Here's a list of where each Stanley Cup winner since the lockout finished the regular season in goals scored:

2011: 5th
2010: 3rd
2009: 6th
2008: 3rd
2007: 9th
2006: 3rd
And all of them, with the exception of the 06 aberration in Carolina, had a commitment to a defense first style of play. I'll go with the rule, rather than the exception to it.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:10 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
We don't need grit, we simply need Dmen who don't make stupid mistakes and aren't named andres Lilja
How about some forwards that can play on the wall a little bit and not be outplayed by Zubrus, and ones that don't disappear after being labeled "the best player in the world."

Old
05-15-2012, 11:38 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
How about some forwards that can play on the wall a little bit and not be outplayed by Zubrus, and ones that don't disappear after being labeled "the best player in the world."
Oh no you didn't!

But yeah, agree with the first part. Say NO to Jagr.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:33 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Oh no you didn't!

But yeah, agree with the first part. Say NO to Jagr.
Yeah I did!

Lavy has the Midas touch!

Old
05-20-2012, 08:03 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I remember your prediction and all the "experts" drivel that followed.