HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next game: @ Oakland | Tue May 8 @ 7:00pm PT/10:00pm ET | R. Romero vs J. Parker

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2012, 09:48 AM
  #1051
ryno23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
So tell me when are we supposed to compete. You realize that every single season we're told it's not our time yet, Jays weren't supposed to compete, or my favourite it's still a 3-4 year rebuild. Sorry but the excuses are gone, at some point this team this ownership has to step up to the plate and get this team or allow them to take the next step. We've been rebuilding this freakin team for 20 damn years don't tell me this wasn't the year to compete. If people can praise the crap out our farm system then we can surely can call a spade a spade about our bullpen and our lack of hitting. Wouldn't surprised if you worked for Rogers cause you are running with the company line.
Amen brother !!! Testify!!!

So I wonder what the AA/Rogers koolaid drinkers see as the year they compete.

So what happens next year who is coming up from the vaunted minors to replace Lind/Thames/Rasmus?? Is Gose that much better than those guys???

Hype is being fed to fans with a big spoonful and again 20 years of trying to say wait for these prospects to come in and we will be good.

When did the Jays bring up their last impact position player drafted by this team? Delgado?? Green?? I don't see any blue chip star potential players coming up to impact the hitting lineup.

Yeah there is some depth in pitching but you gotta now make those deals and take on salary for big bats...........but Rogers is too cheap to do that.

ryno23 is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
  #1052
captn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
This is to AA and Rogers, this is why being cheap and buying low at the 2 for 1 bin on the free agent market on relievers is going to cost us a playoff spot. Sick of this second rate B.S
This is a horrible argument? Who were the Jays going to sign? Ryan Madson? Oops, out for the season.

I'm sure your next argument would be that the Jays should have outbid Philly for Papelbon. Of course, you'll conviently forgot that Madson was #2 on the free agent closer list.

You're complaining that the Jays traded for a younger pitcher with comparable stats to Papelbon last year?

captn is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
  #1053
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captn View Post
This is a horrible argument? Who were the Jays going to sign? Ryan Madson? Oops, out for the season.

I'm sure your next argument would be that the Jays should have outbid Philly for Papelbon. Of course, you'll conviently forgot that Madson was #2 on the free agent closer list.

You're complaining that the Jays traded for a younger pitcher with comparable stats to Papelbon last year?
Joe Nathan?

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
  #1054
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,310
vCash: 500
Oh look, the Rogers is cheap stuff is back. You guys are funny.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
  #1055
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Oh look, the Rogers is cheap stuff is back. You guys are funny.
It's not that Rogers is cheap but they're very reluctant to take a big plunge. Their team salary this year is 83 mil and really closer to 77 when you consider they're paying Teahan 5.5 mil this year.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
  #1056
Stats01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
It's not that Rogers is cheap but they're very reluctant to take a big plunge. Their team salary this year is 83 mil and really closer to 77 when you consider they're paying Teahan 5.5 mil this year.
Consider the fact that not only does Rogers make money off this team, they've made millions of dollars off the new merchandise. I can't go 2-3 blocks in my area without seeing someone wearing either a new Jays cap or a new jersey/shirt. But hey we have that suffocating 80 million dollar payroll to deal with. Rogers is one of the richest owners in baseball, but you wouldn't know it from the way they operate this team behind closed doors.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
  #1057
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 500
Relax, this team is 16-14 right there in the mix without truly significant contributions by the 3 and 4 hitters in the lineup. I don't think that anybody could have really predicted Cordero struggling this bad either. I know I sure couldn't have. Coming into the season, I thought the Jays had a great luxury having both Santos and Cordero. On paper, it seemed like a huge upgrade from Rauch and Francisco. This long baseball season is a very long ride of up and down emotions.

Suntouchable13 is online now  
Old
05-09-2012, 10:57 AM
  #1058
Stats01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captn View Post
This is a horrible argument? Who were the Jays going to sign? Ryan Madson? Oops, out for the season.

I'm sure your next argument would be that the Jays should have outbid Philly for Papelbon. Of course, you'll conviently forgot that Madson was #2 on the free agent closer list.

You're complaining that the Jays traded for a younger pitcher with comparable stats to Papelbon last year?
whether it's the bullpen or making moves to the line-up, this team is consistently handcuffed by Rogers. We're made to think that it's all because of this grand scheme of rebuilding but did you listen to AA and Beeston back pedal during the winter. One year it's "we can spend up to 120 million dollars the money is there" the next it's "there's no specific number" They opened their mouths too soon and fed us garbage and they back tracked.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
  #1059
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
whether it's the bullpen or making moves to the line-up, this team is consistently handcuffed by Rogers. We're made to think that it's all because of this grand scheme of rebuilding but did you listen to AA and Beeston back pedal during the winter. One year it's "we can spend up to 120 million dollars the money is there" the next it's "there's no specific number" They opened their mouths too soon and fed us garbage and they back tracked.
Last night they handed the ball in the 9th inning to a guy that has 329 career saves, not some scrub. He does look like a scrub now, but when they signed him I don't think they could have known that he would struggle this badly.

Suntouchable13 is online now  
Old
05-09-2012, 11:17 AM
  #1060
The Man in White
Registered User
 
The Man in White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 126
Looks like it was a good thing I was away for this weekend.

Sky is falling again huh?

The Man in White is offline  
Old
05-09-2012, 11:33 AM
  #1061
ryno23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Oh look, the Rogers is cheap stuff is back. You guys are funny.
I don't understand how you can defend Rogers on this. Its pretty plain and simple to see.

You can't tell me the Jays had to go into the season with Adam Lind as their 1B, Eric Thames as their LF and whatever guy they plugged as the #5 guy.

Now you say stay away from the FA market then ok make a deal with your vaunted farm system and go bring a guy or 2 in making over $10 million

Why not make a deal say (hypothetical) in the winter for Wandy Rodriguez and Carlos Lee for prospects. The Astros are rebuilding and would love to have some pitching from the Jays or Hech.

Wait that would mean the Rogers would have to add payroll.

The time is now for AA to make a move to take this team to the next level. No way Lind should be in this lineup and we should have a veteran #5 starter to allow the kids to develop at AA or AAA.

ryno23 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.