HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Future of Kimmo Timonen

Old
05-09-2012, 01:06 AM
pughater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
Kimmo gives his 110% every shift.

Game 4, after the third goal was scored, they showed a pic of Bryz just look devastated, but Timonen's whole heart was on his face. You could tell he knew possibly his last chance at a cup was slipping away.

I really want him back next year. Even if round 2 Timonen is here to stay, I say place him on the second or third pairing.

Suter - Coburn
Grossman - Mezaros
Timonen - MAB
Lilja
ugh we'll still have lilja

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by pughater View Post
why u dump a jvr or danny b
Danny B is a flyer for life. no trade clause, he is very close with all his teammates especially Couturier, and Giroux for obvious reasons.

JVR trade would be stupid since his value is very low.

Lets put him on a line with Giroux next year, let him rack up some points and then see what his value is.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:17 AM
pughater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Danny B is a flyer for life. no trade clause, he is very close with all his teammates especially Couturier, and Giroux for obvious reasons.

JVR trade would be stupid since his value is very low.

Lets put him on a line with Giroux next year, let him rack up some points and then see what his value is.
id be willing to deal with jvr for another year but im pretty sure he'll never pan out here

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:22 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Apparently he hurt his knee pretty badly in the Pens series and played through it after.

If there is one Finn in the NHL i would like to see winning the cup next year its Kimmo. He is one of my favourite players ever. The guy just works his ass off and gives everything to the team.

Sadly, i think he already had his chance against the Hawks. He has 1 good year left in him if he recovers from the injury, but i agree that +20 mins is starting to get too much. He is 37 yrs old already and have hinted in the last couple of years that he is starting to get tired.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:48 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
id be willing to deal with jvr for another year but im pretty sure he'll never pan out here
Under Lavy im going to have to agree.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
id like to see the flyers take a Tim Duncan approach to Kimmo's playing time.

The spurs are not concerned with the regular season, they use that time to develop there bench and get guys in familiar roles. when the postseason comes along they up Timmy's minutes and so forth, as oppose to the regular season when they sit him for games at a time.

Id like to see us do this with Kimmo. It would be a great chance to get some of the younger D men some minutes such as Manning, who i was impressed with while affording Kimmo time to allow his body to recover. Then come playoff time we have a healthy rested Kimmo and more depth at D.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Reaper1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
There are few players I feel for more than Kimmo, he has the heart of a warrior and deserves a Cup. I saw a pic of him on Facebook on the bench just devastated with Giroux putting his hand on his shoulder.

Limit his minutes, keep him on the roster. Wish we could get 3 more out of him.

Here's a crappy version of the pic:

Good post. Pic shows how much Kimmo cares...

I would prefer to have him come back. his cap hit hurts but his intangibles make it worth it for one more season...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:45 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
There are few players I feel for more than Kimmo, he has the heart of a warrior and deserves a Cup. I saw a pic of him on Facebook on the bench just devastated with Giroux putting his hand on his shoulder.

That picture breaks my heart. Those 2 are the best part of the Flyers and Kimmo's probably thinking it's the end for him while Roo is blaming himself for them losing because of the suspension.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:47 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Although Bryz didn't mean it this way.. the way he sorta seemed to "laugh off" his bad play, resulting in a goal really pissed me off... especially with kimmo's comments about him running out of chances.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:52 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
ugh we'll still have lilja
Lilja is fine as the 6th/7th defenseman.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
id like to see the flyers take a Tim Duncan approach to Kimmo's playing time.

The spurs are not concerned with the regular season, they use that time to develop there bench and get guys in familiar roles. when the postseason comes along they up Timmy's minutes and so forth, as oppose to the regular season when they sit him for games at a time.

Id like to see us do this with Kimmo. It would be a great chance to get some of the younger D men some minutes such as Manning, who i was impressed with while affording Kimmo time to allow his body to recover. Then come playoff time we have a healthy rested Kimmo and more depth at D.
It's what they need to do, but with Pronger's injury, and a need to replace Carle, they need to bring someone else in to be able to do that. The younger guys may be ready for a chance to play, but not top 4 minutes. I guess you could try Gus in the Top 4 with Mez to start the year, but I don't know.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:54 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I just hope Homer makes a big offseason move for defense so that Timonen doesn't have to kill himself every night next season. If Homer gets the right personnel, Kimmo will be back. If not...I'm not sure what he'll decide to do.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/#!/euroflyers/st...21325955047424

Quote:
Timonen says he got a knee ligament injury in Game 5 vs Pittsburgh
I want to know the severity of the injury. Let him heal up and hopefully he comes back strong for next year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:11 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
If Homer gets the right personnel, Kimmo will be back. If not...I'm not sure what he'll decide to do.
During season Kimmo told in finnish interview that he may have 2 years left in his tank.

If NHL goes to lock-out and shortened regular season like NBA, it will help him. Not so many games and still will play his 1000th regular season game.

I hope he resigns summer 2013, 2-4mill and third/second pair Dman. If he doesn't resign, hoping he'll sign to other team and win the Cup.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:20 AM
bp spec

Quote:

This is an incredibly heart breaking picture.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
flyershockey

Kimmo was the first player I thought of when they lost last night. If there's a current player in the league that deserves a cup, it would be him. In his five years here, he's worked as hard and played through as many injuries as any player that I've seen play here. I hope he comes back, but with a limited role. Gone are the days where he can play 30 mins a night, but he can be a very effective second pair guy.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:03 AM
facts

ultimate pro, team first always

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Go For It

Quote:

Sometimes it's hard to feel for athletes making millions of dollars playing a game they love.

This is not one of those times. That picture hurts.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:21 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

i'd give it 40/60 odds he retires...I think he's leaning towards coming back especially since this team will have another shot at the cup next year most likely but his body has really taken a toll. I really hope he stays and we don't run him into the ground again.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:22 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I said it before the season. Under Lavys system the D's will be injured and the team will look worn out. This is a punishing system on the d-men and I am surprised Kimmo made it this far honestly. Its an intense system that needs its youth and endurance to work out. The Flyers have too many people on the wrong end of their careers.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
slapsht25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
He was playing hurt, I think ever since the Pens series.
he was playing hurt in March when Mez went down

slapsht25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Timonen is a warrior. He's awesome and I've loved what he's done for us. I hope he recovers healthy.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I think he'll play next year(hopefully in a reduced role seeing 2nd pairing minutes) and retire after next year. He's just not what he used to be.
You don't pay a guy 6+ million to play a reduced role and 2nd pairing minutes. As much of a warrior he is, his cap hit is not justified at this point. He needs to retire.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:08 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Screw everyone saying Timonen should retire. The guy is a warrior. Plays through every injury imaginable. He was obviously playing hurt in the playoffs and it hurt his performance a bit but that still doesn't change the fact that he was still one of our best defenders throughout the season. He deserves to be able to play the last year of his contract because he has been worth every penny we've given him. This team without Kimmo loses a huge veteran presence. He is the heart of that defensive core and without him we lose a lot. Not only that but he's one of our best offensive defensemen. Who's supposed to fill that role?

I'm not sure why this is even a thread right now. The team is young enough as is. We need guys like Kimmo on this team and I don't see why they wouldn't just let him play the final year of his contract for a chance at the cup.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:32 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
You don't pay a guy 6+ million to play a reduced role and 2nd pairing minutes. As much of a warrior he is, his cap hit is not justified at this point. He needs to retire.
Kimmo is definitely worth his cap hit...

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote