HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) *Part III*

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I still absolutely loved that pick. The Rangers have needed a player like him for years and the kid can skate. Positioning can be taught and he has a great head on his shoulders.
still gotta wonder where the space for him is.

MDZ, MCD, Staal, and Girardi are going nowhere.

If the Rangers sign Schultz then mcilrath will have to beat out Schultz, Erixon, and Stralman to make this club. That probably won't be easy.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

If the Rangers sign Schultz then mcilrath will have to beat out Schultz, Erixon, and Stralman to make this club. That probably won't be easy.
you mean next year? I don't think there's any way he should be on the team next year.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:45 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

I don't think Stralman will be here long-term. It is also a good idea to keep stocking the system so that you can deal from strength. At the time when McIlrath is ready they can move him or someone else.

It is very difficult to predict next years team, let alone 2-3 years down the road.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:54 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
not sure if this was answered but why are the whale playing in Bridgeport tonight?

Old
05-09-2012, 11:55 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:

A good problem to have.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:11 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
not sure if this was answered but why are the whale playing in Bridgeport tonight?
It appears that the XL Center, the place that the Whale pay twice what anyone else does to use, is booked tonight. I really hope the Rangers move their AHL team to a better market where there will be better support. Hartford is embarrassing.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
It appears that the XL Center, the place that the Whale pay twice what anyone else does to use, is booked tonight. I really hope the Rangers move their AHL team to a better market where there will be better support. Hartford is embarrassing.
Has nothing to do with Hartford. I don't understand what you're trying to say. This is a decision made by the AHL. The arena books the circus probably more than a year in advance for every May.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Has nothing to do with Hartford. I don't understand what you're trying to say. This is a decision made by the AHL. The arena books the circus probably more than a year in advance for every May.
That's crazy. The Rangers would never play home playoff games away from MSG because of a stupid circus. Their farm team shouldn't either.

It sucks for the Whale, but I'd be willing to bet that the circus is a bigger draw. Even in Bridgeport, I'm sure there will be more Whale than Norfolk fans.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:36 PM
eco's bones

To me there are similarities between McIlrath and Jeff Beukeboom (also a 1st round pick) and it should be kept in mind that Beukeboom needed quite a bit of time in the AHL--so I'm not really expecting Dylan to make a big play for an NHL spot next year. To me he's headed for the AHL and Erixon might be there with him at least for part of the season.

McIlrath is huge but still has some filling out to do. His game needs a bit more refinement. What he projects to be though could be very, very valuable. Something akin to a defenseman version of Milan Lucic. A big bull of a player with a real mean streak who can really hit and really throw them. If we can project him 3-4-5 years down the road lining up against the real power forwards of the league--not just Lucic but Malkin, Ovechkin and all those players having to keep their heads up and an eye on this guy all the time--that's a big advantage for us in containing players like that.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:52 PM
McDonaghisGod
Speed kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
To me there are similarities between McIlrath and Jeff Beukeboom (also a 1st round pick) and it should be kept in mind that Beukeboom needed quite a bit of time in the AHL--so I'm not really expecting Dylan to make a big play for an NHL spot next year. To me he's headed for the AHL and Erixon might be there with him at least for part of the season.

McIlrath is huge but still has some filling out to do. His game needs a bit more refinement. What he projects to be though could be very, very valuable. Something akin to a defenseman version of Milan Lucic. A big bull of a player with a real mean streak who can really hit and really throw them. If we can project him 3-4-5 years down the road lining up against the real power forwards of the league--not just Lucic but Malkin, Ovechkin and all those players having to keep their heads up and an eye on this guy all the time--that's a big advantage for us in containing players like that.
Agreed. I'm hoping he can become a Pronger type with less offense.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
That's crazy. The Rangers would never play home playoff games away from MSG because of a stupid circus. Their farm team shouldn't either.

It sucks for the Whale, but I'd be willing to bet that the circus is a bigger draw. Even in Bridgeport, I'm sure there will be more Whale than Norfolk fans.
I wish the game was in Springfield! Closer to me and to Hartford than Bridgeport is. Ah hell, I can't go tonight either way though so who cares!

1600 Monday in Hartford...what will the attendance be in Bridgeport tonight!?

Old
05-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Well the Whale lost tonight...heard they got outplayed pretty badly. They will have to do the near impossible and beat the Admirals twice on the road. I think I read today Norfolk hasn't lost two in a row since November.

1154 in attendance tonight in Bridgeport!

Old
05-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Why was the game in Bridgeport?

Old
05-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
HAHA. I saw that on Twitter and asked a question about whether or not he thought after giving the NHL system a go again after his time with the Rangers. Obviously going home and getting paid well wasn't a bad option though.
http://www.iihf.com/competition/272/...ash=18f9e0ce98

Old
05-10-2012, 05:40 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Good McIlrath read on Howlings today.

Praises Redden:

Quote:
A big part of that comfort zone has been the fact that, during the majority of his shifts in his first three playoff games in a Whale uniform, the 20-year-old McIlrath has been paired with 15th-year pro Wade Redden, the Whale captain and a veteran of nearly 1,000 NHL games.

Its great, not only on the ice but off the ice, said McIlrath of the opportunity to play with Redden. After we come off from a shift, say one of us does something a little wrong, we can just talk it out. And hes just a calming presence, like Ive said before, and definitely appreciate all hes done for me.
Bold is my favorite part, implying that Redden is making mistakes and McIlrath helps him with them

Full article

Old
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
NorthlandPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post

All excellent points. I think one thing people keep forgetting is that unlike the Lundmark & Brendl picks I feel that the NYRs invest alot of time on the player's makeup. They scout the skill put forsure, but they pay close attention to the mental makeup of the player. It is not an accident that all of the Gordie Clark picks share that common element. He will be fine. A year in the AHL will do him good and allow him to adjust to the pro game and the increase tempo that the AHL provides. He was a need pick and the NYRs knew going in that he needed time to develop.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
A good problem to have.
Yes Indeed.

Thing is, the Rangers have a pretty good track record of taking a defenseman nobody wanted and making him useful. Imagine what they can do with a kid a lot people wanted. No question this is a kid who needs a lot of work, but he has things you can not teach. When he matures, he has the chance to be scary....and scary is something our back line sorely needs.

That and a big, booming shot. How is Schultz in that department?

Old
05-11-2012, 01:36 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Yes Indeed.

Thing is, the Rangers have a pretty good track record of taking a defenseman nobody wanted and making him useful. Imagine what they can do with a kid a lot people wanted.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
MCD isnt a defenseman nobody wanted...he's a defenseman we got by trading a "#1 center"....Gomez was, by all accounts, the closest thing to a #1 center available, and the Rangers got a kings ransom for it. don't for one second thing he was just a throw in. he was the piece the deal was built around.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
MCD isnt a defenseman nobody wanted...he's a defenseman we got by trading a "#1 center"....Gomez was, by all accounts, the closest thing to a #1 center available, and the Rangers got a kings ransom for it. don't for one second thing he was just a throw in. he was the piece the deal was built around.

You didn't understand. He asked what can the Rangers do with a defenseman that was wanted by a lot of organizations. That's why I put up McDonagh's picture. If we can get a nobody like Stralman to be useful, we can take a good prospect like McDonagh and make him great.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
You didn't understand. He asked what can the Rangers do with a defenseman that was wanted by a lot of organizations. That's why I put up McDonagh's picture. If we can get a nobody like Stralman to be useful, we can take a good prospect like McDonagh and make him great.
McDonagh wasn't just a good prospect though, I mean the kid was picked 12th overall in the draft. He was supposed to be a damn good prospect. Liked the kid a lot in the draft.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Pizza

Quote:
McDonagh wasn't just a good prospect though, I mean the kid was picked 12th overall in the draft. He was supposed to be a damn good prospect. Liked the kid a lot in the draft.
Well, to my recollection McD started to slip as an asset in the minds of many Hab posters....especially post trade. I seem to remember many of them essentially saying that losing McD was no big deal since he was probably not gonna be that good anyway.

Old
05-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Well, to my recollection McD started to slip as an asset in the minds of many Hab posters....especially post trade. I seem to remember many of them essentially saying that losing McD was no big deal since he was probably not gonna be that good anyway.
Ah, Habs fans and their emotions

Old
05-11-2012, 06:45 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Why was the game in Bridgeport?
Game was in hartford. Don't know why he said Bridgeport.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
Game was in hartford. Don't know why he said Bridgeport.
Game five was in Bridgeport because the XL Center had booked the circus and the AHL wanted to get the game in and not wait...so it was the closest home game they could have.

Closed Thread