HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This playoff showing success of the... Montreal Model

Old
05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
This playoff showing success of the... Montreal Model

Rewind to two years ago. Montreal took a decidedly mediocre team and beat the two Cup favorites. One year later, with the same approach, they came a lucky bounce away from knocking out the eventual cup champions.

The recipe was simple: Dead puck era strategies. Insane commitment to blocking shots. A good goalie.

Sound familiar?

I'd argue that this season is the vindication of the damned Jacques Martin system.

Los Angeles, Washington, NY Rangers, NJ Devils, Phoenix (and Nashville and St. Louis) are all playing that exact strategy to some degree or other.

Montreal set the template two years ago and all of these teams have followed it.

The difference this year is that they're fundamentally deeper and more talented teams using the approach. Montreal still lacked the talent to win two years ago. Now with deep teams full of gifted players doing the same things, we have probably watched a redefinition of the game as it fully returns to Dead Puck.

...and for that we can thank Jacques Martin and the Montreal Canadiens. It's a shame Gainey/Gauthier couldn't get them a more talented and stronger line-up to pursue that. The team re-pioneered this system and might have snuck out a Cup if it had a better roster. At least we'd have something to show for 3-4 years of completely mind-numbing hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the NHL course corrects and gets back away from Dead Puck, but who knows. What's clear to me is that this organization set the model for everyone to follow.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
holyhabs87

Bring back jock!

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:17 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Wait...are you saying that Quick, Lundqvist and Smith (and Thomas) having record breaking save percentages is becaues the teams play so great defensively as opposed to us seeing 4 of the greatest goaltending performances ever?

Glad to see someone else notices...I can't believe the praise that geek Quick is getting.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
29dryden29

At the GM meetings they were talking about allowing some clutch and grab back in the game to help slow it down and help slow the head injuries down.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Halifaxhab*

I think the big difference between LA now and MTL 2 yrs ago.....High end offensive talent playing that committed style. Now, we have Patches (our version of Brown), we need a top line centre....if only we had a top 5 pick in this draft to get one cheap....

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:29 PM
No Style Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I think the big difference between LA now and MTL 2 yrs ago.....High end offensive talent playing that committed style. Now, we have Patches (our version of Brown), we need a top line centre....if only we had a top 5 pick in this draft to get one cheap....
Pacioretty is our version of Brown? I thought Brown was a two-way, gritty, borderline agitator/diver forward. Not a wrist-shot sniper with size.

No Style Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimer11 View Post
Pacioretty is our version of Brown? I thought Brown was a two-way, gritty, borderline agitator/diver forward. Not a wrist-shot sniper with size.
Not true at the moment. No similarity between the 2 except that they're both American.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:59 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Rewind to two years ago. Montreal took a decidedly mediocre team and beat the two Cup favorites. One year later, with the same approach, they came a lucky bounce away from knocking out the eventual cup champions.

The recipe was simple: Dead puck era strategies. Insane commitment to blocking shots. A good goalie.

Sound familiar?

I'd argue that this season is the vindication of the damned Jacques Martin system.

Los Angeles, Washington, NY Rangers, NJ Devils, Phoenix (and Nashville and St. Louis) are all playing that exact strategy to some degree or other.

Montreal set the template two years ago and all of these teams have followed it.

The difference this year is that they're fundamentally deeper and more talented teams using the approach. Montreal still lacked the talent to win two years ago. Now with deep teams full of gifted players doing the same things, we have probably watched a redefinition of the game as it fully returns to Dead Puck.

...and for that we can thank Jacques Martin and the Montreal Canadiens. It's a shame Gainey/Gauthier couldn't get them a more talented and stronger line-up to pursue that. The team re-pioneered this system and might have snuck out a Cup if it had a better roster. At least we'd have something to show for 3-4 years of completely mind-numbing hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the NHL course corrects and gets back away from Dead Puck, but who knows. What's clear to me is that this organization set the model for everyone to follow.
These teams have something we dont (didn't) have since a while: size & grit + they have good 4th liners + some TOP talents. It's easier and more effective to play that style when you have the propere tools.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:01 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Not true at the moment. No similarity between the 2 except that they're both American.
You're right. Brown is way more agressive, and he is a TRUE leader.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:02 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
At the GM meetings they were talking about allowing some clutch and grab back in the game to help slow it down and help slow the head injuries down.
Just bring back the red line rule, and more space in the neutral zones. + Abolish the stupid lines behind the goal's lines.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Wait...are you saying that Quick, Lundqvist and Smith (and Thomas) having record breaking save percentages is becaues the teams play so great defensively as opposed to us seeing 4 of the greatest goaltending performances ever?

Glad to see someone else notices...I can't believe the praise that geek Quick is getting.
You still need the goaltending to perform strongly. People forget that what really undid the Canadiens 2 years ago was not the uber-Flyers but that Halak's goaltending collapsed in the 3rd round.

For decades now tho it's been generally true that offence in general overperforms in regular season compared to defence, which shines more in playoffs. This creates "upsets" for people who don't pay attention to the defensive weaknesses of point padding offensive teams.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Just bring back the red line rule, and more space in the neutral zones. + Abolish the stupid lines behind the goal's lines.
When did they take out the red line? What do they use to determine icings?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Quick has made some absolute steals. Yes, having strong defensive teams help, but that shouldn't take away what he's done. Not sure why he's a geek either.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Guess

Isn't this situation something the ringuette line would change? It's already being put into effect by the AHL so we might see it in the NHL soon, especially if coaches start using this strategy more.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/13...-tested-by-ahl

Brian Burke and Scotty Bowman are supposedly the ones pushing this change the most.

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Lshap

Wait... I thought last season was all about copying the Boston style of bigger and tougher! And so goes the latest model-de-jour...

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Bring back jock!
That would be the total slap in the face to Gauthier

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:11 PM
ScottFC

Its all about a well balanced team that knows what they're strenghts are and uses it to exploit the other team. Nothing more really and its been like this for a while now.

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Travis Moen

yeah, montreal invented the trap, before that, no other team relied on defense and team work.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
The Doors

Yeah, we got outshot pretty badly. But I still think people don't give that Habs team enough credit.

They had talented veteran centres (obviously everybody's whipping boy Gomez fell off the face of the earth next season, but whatever) that could skate both ways and contribute offensively. They had a few relatively dangerous snipers on the wings with tendencies to be clutch.

Gritty players who rose to the occasion in the playoffs and scored clutch goals like Moen and Lapierre.

Veteran defenceman that played together as an experienced, gritty unit.

That team was very dedicated, hard-working, and like all teams that win in the playoffs.. a bit lucky. But still, I wouldn't undersell them as "oh, it was all Halak". **** that, they deserved to win those series. What killed them was Markov's injury and a lack of size against the Flyers. Ironically we now have a healthy Markov, and two big wingers... the biggest reason why this regular season was so disappointing!

If Markov and Gionta had have been healthy this season, and Cammalleri and Gomez weren't lost in space, Martin wouldn't have been fired and we would have finished in 5th or 6th and could still be playing right now. ****, I hate the offseason. Come October. Please. At least we get a fresh management, up and coming new coach (better not mess this one up) and a top pick.

Okay, rant over.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Habs

Quote:

Please, Quick is playing great. If that was Price , we'd be acting the same way, pretty much how the press talks about Price all year, worthy or not. Quick got them out of the first round against Vancouver, stole two games easily.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:40 PM
larek

Quote:

Sound familiar?

LOL- ya thats exactly what you want is to model your team after HAbs last several years!!

NHl have alot of good goaltenders not named Price who can steal games for a lesser team

But its only one year- past seasons top 5 type team has won the cup -- and even with all the upsets that could happen again

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Moen View Post
yeah, montreal invented the trap, before that, no other team relied on defense and team work.
It's simplistic to call what is happening this year or what Montreal did "the trap."

The trap has been around forever.

What Martin did two years ago and what every team is now doing (and to be fair, Tampa Bay nearly rode to the Finals last year) is not just the trap.

It is a combination of the following:

- Netural Zone Trap

- Clutch & Grab

- Collapsing in on the net in the defensive zone.

- Borderline insane commitment to shot blocking.

- Forcing shots to the perimeter through the aforementioned collapsing in the defensive zone. This inflates save percentages.

- And of course, really good goaltending.

These things have combined to create a brand of hockey that is to me even worse to watch than the trap.

Martin, as near as I can reason, was the first person to use this exact formula to run some interesting upsets through the playoffs. Boucher did it again last year.

This year what we've seen is really deep, physical teams take that exact play book and apply it to their talented teams. The result is the 2012 NHL Playoffs.

There has been a lot of chatter lately about the return of "dead puck." I just find it interesting that, as near as I can reason, it was the Montreal Canadiens who seem to have set the template for how to totally ruin the entertainment value of hockey in this new era. There's no denying how well it works, but just as Lemaire got blamed for Dead Puck, I think Martin and his staff may well have been the people behind whatever we're calling what we're now seeing.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:04 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The trapezoid is something I remember them saying was going to be gone next season that alone will eliminate much of the big collisions behind the net as the goalies will now be free to move out and play the puck. I guess they are still talking about it so it may not be gone but it is something they are looking at seriously.

Last edited by 29dryden29: 05-09-2012 at 06:32 PM.
29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
HeShootsHeScores

OP you nailed it. The habs can take a ******** of credit for the way the caps are playing right now. There is "playing hockey", and there is "playing hockey to win the cup". The caps probably had a hard time toning their offensive swag down during the regular season, hence the struggles at playing hunter's system properly and barely making the playoffs.

Now that they're in the race, the cup has become top priority, so they play the same damn system they had trouble digging during the reg season, but with much more motivation and commitment.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:14 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:

Sound familiar?

Not sure if serious.

Have you watched LA or Phoenix play? Not even close to the garbage Martin fed you and passed it off as competitive hockey.

And in the East, neither the Devils nor the Rangers are playing Martin hockey.

Where are all of the posters who were complaining about bringing up the past?

This has to go down as one of the worst threads on this Forum.......ever.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote