Notices

Sutter and Flames Part Ways

Old
05-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Medium Rare*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
I know I'm a little late to this party but Sutter was an excellent coach he just had nothing to work with. I wish him all the best and I am disappointed to see him go. Calgary was a good fit for him but it appears as though management is looking in a new direction for the team and coaching and Brent is best coaching a playoff team.
Sutter was the furthest thing from being an excellent coach. He isn't even a good coach.

Sutter had more to work with that people around here like to admit, with a coach that has the ability to build a system around the strengths of these players I think they end up with home ice in teh 1st round, but Sutter is a junior coach and doesn't have the ability to change him system to fit his players.

The guy is a hack and if he ever ends up with an NHL job again it will be too soon

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:03 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Sutter was the furthest thing from being an excellent coach. He isn't even a good coach.

Sutter had more to work with that people around here like to admit, with a coach that has the ability to build a system around the strengths of these players I think they end up with home ice in teh 1st round, but Sutter is a junior coach and doesn't have the ability to change him system to fit his players.

The guy is a hack and if he ever ends up with an NHL job again it will be too soon
Little bit of a harsh post from someone who had no idea of how the team was run. You don't know if Sutter was influenced or anything like that. Sutter wasnt a terrible coach like you say, he coached the team to a winning record every year just not playoffs. Just because he didn't work out in Calgary doesn't make him a bad coach, to expect him to ice a top 4 team in the conference each year is unlikely. Until you can tell me strategy after strategy and how the team was exactly run don't go making assumptions and implying the flames struggles lie on his shoulders. Big words from a guy who has never been in the shoes of an NHL coach before
I understand as a fan we judge based on the record, but you don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Sutter is a good guy and is not a hack like you describe, if he were I don't think he would have been picked to coach the Canadian Team right now.

Last edited by tyflames: 05-08-2012 at 10:28 PM.
tyflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:29 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Little bit of a harsh post from someone who had no idea of how the team was run. You don't know if Sutter was influenced or anything like that. Sutter wasnt a terrible coach like you say, he coached the team to a winning record every year just not playoffs. Just because he didn't work out in Calgary doesn't make him a bad coach, to expect him to ice a top 4 team in the conference each year is unlikely. Until you can tell me strategy after strategy and how the team was exactly run don't go making assumptions and implying the flames struggles lie on his shoulders. Big words from a guy who has never been in the shoes of an NHL coach before
I understand as a fan we judge based on the record, but you don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Sutter is a good guy and is not a hack like you describe, if he were I don't think he would have been picked to coach the Canadian Team right now.
I am judging him based on his time in Calgary and New Jersey, he had the same issues with both teams. That is one hell of a coincidence.

Also coaching international hockey is different than coaching NHL hockey.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:01 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
I am judging him based on his time in Calgary and New Jersey, he had the same issues with both teams. That is one hell of a coincidence.

While I don't think Sutter is a hack, I do think he is a better junior coach. If he's coaching an NHL team they better be young and impressionable. Sutter does not work well with our senior players. It was so evident this year. Our best hockey was when half of our lineup was injured. If that is not a telling sign of where Sutter's strenghts are, then I don't know what is.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:23 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
While I don't think Sutter is a hack, I do think he is a better junior coach. If he's coaching an NHL team they better be young and impressionable. Sutter does not work well with our senior players. It was so evident this year. Our best hockey was when half of our lineup was injured. If that is not a telling sign of where Sutter's strenghts are, then I don't know what is.
But I don't think it was entirely sutters fault, you can't say that our best players were 100% willing to buy into his system. And until everyone buys in, this team will struggle no matter who the coach is.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:25 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:

He is still coaching some of the best players in the game. Sutter is still a good coach in my mind.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
But I don't think it was entirely sutters fault, you can't say that our best players were 100% willing to buy into his system. And until everyone buys in, this team will struggle no matter who the coach is.
No some of the blame definitly falls on the shoulders of Iginla, at least from what I can tell. The problem is that if something is not working, don't keep trying it in vain. If Sutter only has one receipe for success, then clearly, he is not a great NHL coach.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:29 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
No some of the blame definitly falls on the shoulders of Iginla, at least from what I can tell. The problem is that if something is not working, don't keep trying it in vain. If Sutter only has one receipe for success, then clearly, he is not a great NHL coach.
Great, no I wouldn't say that. I agree there.
But a hack as suggested early by medium rare, is way off in my mind.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:35 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
No he is definitly not a hack. But stubborn, yes.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
its a matter of opinion is it not? I think a coach that has an inability to change is a hack. I think any decent junior coach can come up with 1 game plan that is successful periodically.

On paper our team should have been a Cup contender in Sutter's first year in Calgary. Since then expectations have declined significantly, no its not ALL his fault but to be successful you have to put your players in a position to actually succeed and Brent just never did that. He never played to the strengths of his players, its was a my way or the highway approach and that is the sign of a bad NHL coach.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
No he is definitly not a hack. But stubborn, yes.
Stubborn to the point of failure. You can even see the same "strategies" with Team Canada at the Worlds that he used with the Flames during the last few years. (sitting on a lead, running around all the time (aka puck pursuit), etc.)

He's someone who was blessed with a very good team in Red Deer, then again with a string of oustanding teams for the World Jrs. Then struggled when he got to the NHL. Brent's a mediocre coach at best - he is probably better suited for upper management in talent selection and might someday be a decent GM.

Flames just had it backwards - should have had Brent as GM and Darryl as Coach.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Stubborn to the point of failure. You can even see the same "strategies" with Team Canada at the Worlds that he used with the Flames during the last few years. (sitting on a lead, running around all the time (aka puck pursuit), etc.)

He's someone who was blessed with a very good team in Red Deer, then again with a string of oustanding teams for the World Jrs. Then struggled when he got to the NHL. Brent's a mediocre coach at best - he is probably better suited for upper management in talent selection and might someday be a decent GM.

Flames just had it backwards - should have had Brent as GM and Darryl as Coach.
understatment of the year...FML

Old
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
understatment of the year...FML
Just thinking about it makes me sick...

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote