Blackhawks fire Mike Haviland

Old
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
Blackhawks fire Mike Haviland

Quote:
The Chicago Blackhawks announced today the team has relieved Assistant Coach Mike Haviland of his duties.
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=631096

He was the other finalist for Jets head coach before it was given to Noel.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Daynz
What!?!

I haven't been following this team so was this move expected or a surprise to Blackhawk fans?

Daynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

I don't think he'll be unemployed long. I've heard little else but positives about the job he did in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daynz View Post
I haven't been following this team so was this move expected or a surprise to Blackhawk fans?
Reaction on their board suggests that indeed it was a surprise. Most thought that their other assistant (Mike Kitchen) should have got the axe.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:43 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I dont understand this

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:26 PM
sully1410

If he speaks french Montreal will be happy.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
If he speaks french Montreal will be happy.
Hmmm... haha.

Anyway, from what I've heard I always figured Kitchen was a dolt. Odd that they'd give Haviland the boot.

05-09-2012, 12:03 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Wonder if this has anything to do with the rumour that coach Q is headed to Montreal.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:46 AM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Hmmm... haha.

Anyway, from what I've heard I always figured Kitchen was a dolt. Odd that they'd give Haviland the boot.
Kitchen and coach Q are close buddies aside from hockey from what people have told me. They go back along ways. Played together for the Colorado Rockies and Devils and coached together in St.Louis.

Kitchen is a really good guy from all reports that I get.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
If we lose Vincent to the Habs, I wonder if Chevy would bring Haviland in to interview for the Assistant job.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
trebendan

My thoughts exactly, Huffer. If Pascal Vincent does head to Montreal, I also think the Jets would seriously consider Scott Arniel as a replacement.

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
My thoughts exactly, Huffer. If Pascal Vincent does head to Montreal, I also think the Jets would seriously consider Scott Arniel as a replacement.
Of course the GM's usually involve the Head Coach in these things as well most of the time. I wonder how much Noel will be involved in the process if Vincent goes to the Habs.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:27 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

What aspect of the game does Vincent specialize in? Special teams?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
What aspect of the game does Vincent specialize in? Special teams?
Vincent works with the forwards and oversees the PP.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:13 PM
JetsWillFly4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Of course the GM's usually involve the Head Coach in these things as well most of the time. I wonder how much Noel will be involved in the process if Vincent goes to the Habs.
I would hope Noel gets the final choice, I really don't like GM's hiring assistant coaches for a head coach, the head coach should always pick who he wants to run his team imo.

JetsWillFly4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 3140
It is highly unlikely the Habs will hire Vincent as head coach; he has but one year of NHL assistant coaching experience on his resume, and as well some coach/gm experience in the CHL. The Habs GM is a rookie; it is near career suicide for a new GM to go with a rookie head coach. The odds are that he'll surround himself at all levels with experienced NHL personnel.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
It is highly unlikely the Habs will hire Vincent as head coach; he has but one year of NHL assistant coaching experience on his resume, and as well some coach/gm experience in the CHL. The Habs GM is a rookie; it is near career suicide for a new GM to go with a rookie head coach. The odds are that he'll surround himself at all levels with experienced NHL personnel.
Makes sense. But I don't think the rumor was Vincent as the head coach was it? If it was, that's crazy I agree. Wasn't it just speculation that he could end up over there in some capacity? Assistant coach or something?

Old
05-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Makes sense. But I don't think the rumor was Vincent as the head coach was it? If it was, that's crazy I agree. Wasn't it just speculation that he could end up over there in some capacity? Assistant coach or something?
Well, why would he leave one currently held assistant coaching position for another? That makes zero sense. It is a lateral move, even if it is to the hometown Habs. It would be seen by his peers as a slap at the Jets if he made a lateral move like that, it would be unpopular and unwise from a career perspective.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Well, why would he leave one currently held assistant coaching position for another? That makes zero sense. It is a lateral move, even if it is to the hometown Habs. It would be seen by his peers as a slap at the Jets if he made a lateral move like that, it would be unpopular and unwise from a career perspective.
I don't think people in the hockey world look at a guy born in Laval taking a job to be the Assistant coach of the Montreal Canadians and leaving the Winnipeg Jets as a slap in the face to the Jets.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
I don't think people in the hockey world look at a guy born in Laval taking a job to be the Assistant coach of the Montreal Canadians and leaving the Winnipeg Jets as a slap in the face to the Jets.
Really? You honestly think he'd voluntarily just up and leave the team that gave him his first shot in the NHL for a lateral job transfer after one season? I believe NHL personnel would be more loyal than you do, apparently.

I personally believe the only way he'd leave for a lateral move like that would be if the Jets were the ones that prompted it.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
surixon

Quote:
Really? You honestly think he'd voluntarily just up and leave the team that gave him his first shot in the NHL for a lateral job transfer after one season? I believe NHL personnel would be more loyal than you do, apparently.

I personally believe the only way he'd leave for a lateral move like that would be if the Jets were the ones that prompted it.
PLUS I highly doubt he is even contractually allowed to do it. Assistants are generally only allowed to opt out for a head coaching position.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:23 PM
KingSalamon

Talk out of Chicago was that Quenville was going to be a target for Montreal (with his connection to Montreal's new GM and the fact that Montreal wants to hire an experienced coach). I think Quenville may have played a walking card on Chicago's management and got himself and his buddy Kitchen another year (if not more) in Chicago.

Haviland and coach Q were known to have differences of opinion and maybe Coach Q said he had to go.

Regardless, seems like Chicago is in a state of flux and more changes are likely to be coming down in the next month or two.

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

In a way, I think Vincent will end up head coach of the Habs or a candidate at least, but I know hes ready, but if he was let go, I say we either hire Arniel or bring up McCambridge.

But for Haviland, I say he gets hired by Columbus as a head coach or coach of an AHL team.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Huffer

Quote:

I'm not saying that he WILL, I'm saying that I think you are making a bigger deal out of him leaving than there is IMO.

If he's under contract that's one thing. If he wasn't under contract and was contacted by the Habs, I do think he might explore that opportunity.

IF he doesn't have a contract, I can certainly see the appeal to working for the Habs for a guy born in Laval.

Are you trying to say that there is no difference between possibly working for the Habs, and working for the Jets for a guy from Laval?

Old
05-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
I'm not saying that he WILL, I'm saying that I think you are making a bigger deal out of him leaving than there is IMO.

If he's under contract that's one thing. If he wasn't under contract and was contacted by the Habs, I do think he might explore that opportunity.

IF he doesn't have a contract, I can certainly see the appeal to working for the Habs for a guy born in Laval.

Are you trying to say that there is no difference between possibly working for the Habs, and working for the Jets for a guy from Laval?
You seem confused. I'm not the one making a big deal out of the possibility of his leaving, in fact, I'm the one saying that to even consider that it might occur is fairly naive.

The Habs are most likely NOT going to hire this guy as their head coach as he has but one year of NHL experience and their GM is a rookie; they'll go with experienced personnel. They aren't going to hire him as an assistant coach either, as NHL teams do not as a rule contact another teams regarding personnel for what amounts to a lateral move. GMs do indeed grant permission to talk to their coaches so they don't stand in the way of promotion. Whether or not he is from Laval is moot. A move from assistant coach to assistant coach does not represent promotion, regardless of the cachet that a position with the Habs might represent to a guy from Laval.

To summarize, we are talking about a first year assistant coach in the NHL. He isn't going to walk away voluntarily after one year from the team that gave him his break in the league for what amounts to a lateral move, nor will the Habs contact the Jets if he is only under consideration for an assistant coaching position. To think they'd hire him as head coach seems the longest of long-shots. To argue otherwise defies logic and is engaging in semantics, is basically arguing for the sake of it.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 05-10-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old
05-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Huffer

Quote:
You seem confused. I'm not the one making a big deal out of the possibility of his leaving, in fact, I'm the one saying that to even consider that it might occur is fairly naive.

The Habs are most likely NOT going to hire this guy as their head coach as he has but one year of NHL experience and their GM is a rookie; they'll go with experienced personnel. They aren't going to hire him as an assistant coach either, as NHL teams do not as a rule contact another teams regarding personnel for what amounts to a lateral move. GMs do indeed grant permission to talk to their coaches so they don't stand in the way of promotion. Whether or not he is from Laval is moot. A move from assistant coach to assistant coach does not represent promotion, regardless of the cachet that a position with the Habs might represent to a guy from Laval.

To summarize, we are talking about a first year assistant coach in the NHL. He isn't going to walk away voluntarily after one year from the team that gave him his break in the league for what amounts to a lateral move, nor will the Habs contact the Jets if he is only under consideration for an assistant coaching position. To think they'd hire him as head coach seems the longest of long-shots. To argue otherwise defies logic and is engaging in semantics, is basically arguing for the sake of it.
Whatever Gump. Spare me your "you seem confused nonsense".

I only mentioned Vincent because there has been speculation that his name could be in the mix:

http://thehockeywriters.com/top-cand...oach-position/

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...-19708261.html

http://www.athline.com/3379/patrick-...eal-canadiens/

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl120311.html

I don't think he is a serious candidate for a head coaching position at this point, but his name has been out there, and it wasn't put out there by me. I could see him being interested in an Assistant position if it was offered. If you don't see the appeal of the Habs compared to the Jets, that's your opinion. I don't agree.

My comment on you making a bigger deal of the situation was in your comment on him leaving being a "slap in the face". I don't think that TNSE would look at it that way, and in that context I believe that you are making it to be more than it is.

You are basically not listening to anything I have said. I never said I thought, or think he could be the head coach or assistant coach of the Habs. His name has been floated out there as you can plainly see by the links I posted, and my first comment was a general statement regarding the possibility of getting Haviland IF Vincent left the Jets. At that point my only remaining comments were to say that in my opinion, I don't think that IF he left, that it would constitute the "slap in the face" that you seem to think it would.

Your continued arguing on whether or not Vincent WILL or WILL NOT be a member of the Canadians, or that somehow I think he WILL or WILL NOT be a member of the Canadians is just arguing for the sake of it as I have not made the claim that he will, or made it my opinion that he will.

Either that, or you just like to argue with me for some sort of personal reason.