HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What keeps you going?

Old
05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
SavageSteve

vCash: 500
Being a Blues fan till 1998... the allure of next season. In 30+ years of being a hockey fan, 'my' team has never won the Cup.

That said, I was lucky enough to be a Cardinals fan and have seen 3 World Series wins for my baseball team in my lifetime (1982, 2006, and 2011). '82 was the best though as I was a little kid and living there! I still have the newspapers from that time period somewhere... I think.

What I will really miss though is having my night out with the boys and a natural release of energy after work till October. Having nothing but girls at home makes it a definite need!!

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:32 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Well, ILikeItILoveIt is my dad, so usually I just get really depressed and negative and then he gives me a ridiculously optimistic inspirational speech and I feel better for awhile. Generally talking to anyone who has a long legacy of cheering for historically crappy teams can help.

Plus the Preds are pretty good at throwing you just enough of a bone to keep the faith.

It is depressing though to think that I could potentially go my entire life without ever seeing us win the Cup.
To my lovely daughter,

Here's your ridiculously optimistic inspirational speech :
We blew it. We suck. Suter/Rads/Weber/Gill/Goose/AK46 & 74 are gone. It's over. Give up.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:59 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Perspective keeps me going .... it's a freaking game. It's not life or death. All of the frustration, anger, joy, happiness is in the moment.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Shea Weber

Preds, Vols, Titans for me...

...Vols in 98' was nice, but I was in high school. I will be able to die happy if one of those teams wins it all in the next....45 years or so.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:20 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

I really just want the city to have a championship. The city has grown so much sinc ei was a kid it's unreal. I love this hockey club so much I live and die with it(not literal).

I was just downtown looking at the new convention center and the omni going up and I'm just in awe.

ChesterCopperpot1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Perspective keeps me going .... it's a freaking game. It's not life or death. All of the frustration, anger, joy, happiness is in the moment.
I think we all lose this sometimes..

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Brewhousesouth15

I Ave lived 15 years and the braves press doers or titans have not gotten close so hopefully one day I will experience the glorious moment

Brewhousesouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:11 PM
RaiderDoug

Preds, Titans, Vols/Blue Raiders, Braves, Grizz.

'95 was sweet for any Braves fan, and I was a student at UT in '98.

I really thought this might have been a year for the Preds. Everything was pointing towards something special.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Hockey, for me, is a pleasant distraction from daily life. I dont care if we lose every game, it still serves as that distraction, and there's always next year. I want us to succeed, but even after a bad year, I can watch games, make proposals on the boards, and just generally talk about the team, which is the whole point for me.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
In my 27 years as a sports fan, exactly one of my teams has ever won a title, the 1995 Atlanta Braves.

I often wonder, "what if I never witness another title?" not in baseball, in all my team sports. I am a Preds, Titans, Braves, and Vanderbilt sports fan. The last time my team was close was last years college world series when Vandy made it to Omaha.

So what keeps you going? It gets really disheartening to see seasons end in a loss. I honestly don't even know what i would do if the Preds hoisted the cup, te Titans won a Super Bowl, the braves won another world series, or of Vanderbilt actually won a game...lol.

Ugh...this offseason is gonna suck.
My teams also and my High school has only played in one championship game and lost. That being said the lows are better when you understand that all those teams have good and decent people on and off (Except for Pacman LOL), one day a title banner will be raised and it will be more sweet in your heart than teams like the Yankees, and Red Wings because it was earned through hard work and not bought. As long as VU kids aren't being arrested and the teams not under investigation from the NCAA then I'm happy. As long a no Brave is linked to roids, As long as the Preds and Titans keep the decent human beings in place and release the slimeballs (Pacman)

Last edited by Gnashville: 05-09-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
This past year was rough. I'm an MTSU alumnus, class of 2008. It's been rough ever since the New Orleans bowl of 2009. I honestly am a die hard Vandy fan and a casual MTSU fan even though I went there. I went to my first Vandy game when I was 4. I didn't go to my first MTSU game until my junior year lol.
thanks for the info. my best friend from high school went to Vandy so i always root for them when there's a basketball game on. this is the most significant game in my alma matter's history - Carnegie Tech gives Knute Rockne's Fighting Irish their only loss of the season.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Neal Before Zod

Preds/Vols/Titans/Reds fan. Seen some good times, seen some bad times. What keeps me going is that none of them seem to ever be good at the same time. Keeps me busy, I guess. lol

I've seen my teams win 2 titles/championships while I've been alive. Just enough to give me a taste for excitement...but far from what I would like to have experienced. 14 years since the last one, though.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Preds - no titles
Padres - no titles
Chargers - no titles
Clippers - no titles
Western KY - no titles
Fulham FC - no titles

other than that it's all good.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:31 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Preds/UK basketball/Reds

Preds are my #1 passion in sports. UK basketball is pretty high up there too for me and they just won a national championship in which I was in attendance. So I'm good for awhile. I was also 8 years old when the Reds won the World Series and I've been hooked on them ever since. I'd give up uk's recent title in a heartbeat for the Preds to get a Cup though. Hell, I might even shed tears of joy if the Preds won a Cup.

Edit: I used to be obsessed with the Philadelphia Eagles and NFL until 2 years ago when I cut that sport out cold turkey (my wife was not happy with me being obsessed with all these teams). I remember them losing in the Super Bowl in 2005 I think and I took it pretty hard. Luckily I don't care about football anymore.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:06 AM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
My teams also and my High school has only played in one championship game and lost. That being said the lows are better when you understand that all those teams have good and decent people on and off (Except for Pacman LOL), one day a title banner will be raised and it will be more sweet in your heart than teams like the Yankees, and Red Wings because it was earned through hard work and not bought. As long as VU kids aren't being arrested and the teams not under investigation from the NCAA then I'm happy. As long a no Brave is linked to roids, As long as the Preds and Titans keep the decent human beings in place and release the slimeballs (Pacman)
My high school has been to two state titles and went 1-1. Lost in he class A 1983 football title and won in 1984. When they won it in 1984, I was less than 3 months old.

And man would it have been so sweet to hoist a banner for the CWS last year, so close....

Old
05-10-2012, 11:11 AM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Preds/UK basketball/Reds

Preds are my #1 passion in sports. UK basketball is pretty high up there too for me and they just won a national championship in which I was in attendance. So I'm good for awhile. I was also 8 years old when the Reds won the World Series and I've been hooked on them ever since. I'd give up uk's recent title in a heartbeat for the Preds to get a Cup though. Hell, I might even shed tears of joy if the Preds won a Cup.

Edit: I used to be obsessed with the Philadelphia Eagles and NFL until 2 years ago when I cut that sport out cold turkey (my wife was not happy with me being obsessed with all these teams). I remember them losing in the Super Bowl in 2005 I think and I took it pretty hard. Luckily I don't care about football anymore.
Honestly if the Preds ever won a cup, I'd be hugging the person next to me while crying. I'd them strip down to my fruit of the looms and sprint down broadway

Old
05-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Preds311

I always go into it knowing this is entertainment and not life. I've been very fortunate in the past being fans of Championship teams. I believe the Preds will be another in the next few years no doubt.

Since I've been alive:

University of Alabama(1992, 2009, 2011)
The Ohio State University(2002)
Chigago Bulls(When I watched the NBA)
Red Sox(Finally in 2004)
Buffalo Bills(Never)...although I now follow the Titans

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:37 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Preds - no titles
Padres - no titles
Chargers - no titles
Clippers - no titles
Western KY - no titles
Fulham FC - no titles

other than that it's all good.
If you want Premier League titles, you made a really, really bad choice.

The ultimate point of sports fandom is not winning championships, though. It's about getting behind something that acts as an ambassador for yourself to the world. Sports teams - well-run ones, anyway - embody who we are as a community and what we stand for, whether they win championships or not. The Predators are an embodiment of my love for the city of Nashville and the game of hockey, and whether they sign Suter or not, whether they improve and maintain this roster or not, whether they win a Stanley Cup or not, they will always represent those things, and so long as they continue to show class in their community outreach, the way they develop players, and the way they play on the ice, I'm willing to ride into the proverbial jaws of Hell with them.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:55 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds311 View Post
I always go into it knowing this is entertainment and not life. I've been very fortunate in the past being fans of Championship teams. I believe the Preds will be another in the next few years no doubt.

Since I've been alive:

University of Alabama(1992, 2009, 2011)
The Ohio State University(2002)
Chigago Bulls(When I watched the NBA)
Red Sox(Finally in 2004)
Buffalo Bills(Never)...although I now follow the Titans
what are your reasons for liking those teams? there seems to be no relation

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
My high school has been to two state titles and went 1-1. Lost in he class A 1983 football title and won in 1984. When they won it in 1984, I was less than 3 months old.

And man would it have been so sweet to hoist a banner for the CWS last year, so close....
Your from Gordonsville TN??? My high school's only championship game in any sport was last year in girls basketball. I was there along with 2/3rds of the town people I know people that drove 100's of miles to the game. It was sad to see them lose, but to see them play for a championship for the 1st time ever was still a beautiful thing. I almost cried when VU made the WS last season (a half gallon of Makers Mark will do that to you) and would have to be committed if they ever played in a BCS game or Final 4.

Last edited by Gnashville: 05-10-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old
05-10-2012, 09:53 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Your from Gordonsville TN??? My high school's only championship game in any sport was last year in girls basketball. I was there along with 2/3rds of the town people I know people that drove 100's of miles to the game. It was sad to see them lose, but to see them play for a championship for the 1st time ever was still a beautiful thing. I almost cried when VU made the WS last season (a half gallon of Makers Mark will do that to you) and would have to be committed if they ever played in a BCS game or Final 4.
Yup. Gordonsville HS class of 2003. MTSU class of 2008. Currently finishing my masters in Vegas. Not sure why, definitely is going to help me with my current job.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
what are your reasons for liking those teams? there seems to be no relation
Ohio State(Born in Columbus, OH and both parents went to OSU)
Alabama(Moved to AL when I was 11, got my degree at UA)
Buffalo Bills(My older brother got me into NFL when I was 10 and that was his favorite team and was the year before the Bills went to 4 straight Super Bowls...since moving to TN 3 years ago I started following the Titans instead)
Chicago Bulls(Started following them when John Paxton, Horace Grant, Jordan etc)
Red Sox(With baseball enjoyed watching players more than following a team. Went to Fenway when I was 19 and loved the atmosphere)

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:10 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I have to laugh at the title because I ask myself this with my depression.

What keeps me going? The fact the I have another day to live and another mathematical chance for a miracle for once in my life.

The fact I'm looking at the all-time list of players who played for the Preds and an all-time team is easy up to the forwards and then Chaos.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Yup. Gordonsville HS class of 2003. MTSU class of 2008. Currently finishing my masters in Vegas. Not sure why, definitely is going to help me with my current job.
I was born in Hartsville & my sister in Carthage and I went to Macon County HS

Old
05-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If you want Premier League titles, you made a really, really bad choice.

The ultimate point of sports fandom is not winning championships, though. It's about getting behind something that acts as an ambassador for yourself to the world. Sports teams - well-run ones, anyway - embody who we are as a community and what we stand for, whether they win championships or not. The Predators are an embodiment of my love for the city of Nashville and the game of hockey, and whether they sign Suter or not, whether they improve and maintain this roster or not, whether they win a Stanley Cup or not, they will always represent those things, and so long as they continue to show class in their community outreach, the way they develop players, and the way they play on the ice, I'm willing to ride into the proverbial jaws of Hell with them.
Yup I don't have any hope for Premier League titles haha I can just hope for a Europa League title maybe. Just like I don't expect WKU to win any NCAA titles, but oh well. And I agree that there's more to rooting for a team than titles. Well, for true fans anyway. There's specific reasons why I like all of my teams and I'm proud to be a fan of all of them. It'll make success that much sweeter.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote