HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NHL Draft Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Which WHL D-men could stick in the NHL this season??

Old
05-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Martin Marincin could make the Oilers. They really need a PMD and he looked decent at the last camp. He's still on the thin side but I don't know if he's bulked up at all on the season.(6'4 187 but thats been the same since he was drafted)

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

vCash: 500
Murray. Maybe Reinhart. No way Dumba can. At least no way he should. Rielly shouldn't as well.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:11 PM
lggy

Murray and Morrow imo

lggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:39 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That's quite a statement, because two separate NHL coaches felt he was deserving of 20+ minutes of ice time a game. I don't think anyone who has consistently seen him would say he's not ready. Perhaps being asked to do too much for Anaheim, but he is clearly an NHL player.
He is about -100 after two seasons.

Im no expert but have watched him several times in the last two years and quite a few times in his draft year with the Spitfires.

He seems to be regressing if Im being honest.

He should have been brought along more slowly imo.

That is hindsight gm'ing I know, but I believe a case could be made fairly easily.

He was borderline awful this year.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:43 AM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Martin Marincin could make the Oilers. They really need a PMD and he looked decent at the last camp. He's still on the thin side but I don't know if he's bulked up at all on the season.(6'4 187 but thats been the same since he was drafted)
Marincin doesn't have a chance of making the Oilers next season.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:39 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He is about -100 after two seasons.

Im no expert but have watched him several times in the last two years and quite a few times in his draft year with the Spitfires.

He seems to be regressing if Im being honest.

He should have been brought along more slowly imo.

That is hindsight gm'ing I know, but I believe a case could be made fairly easily.

He was borderline awful this year.
I have a hard time taking the rest of this seriously after the hyperbolic first statement. He is nowhere close to -100.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:53 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
I have a hard time taking the rest of this seriously after the hyperbolic first statement. He is nowhere close to -100.
He is closer to -100 than he is to even.

He had 29pts and was a -28 this year.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Buffalo probably doesnt need him to, but I think Pysyk could step in next year.
I suspect he'll be high on their injury recall list, much like McNabb was this year. I don't think he'll make the team when camp breaks however, since it appears McNabb has the inside track on what looks like the opening on the Sabres blueline.

05-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:

Hockey's Future: Where all you need to know about a player can be found on HockeyDB.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:57 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
No he can't. He has the size, but he needs a year in the AHL to adjust to the pro game. Look at though, in two years, the Oil could be looking at 3 rookie d-men in Marincin, Musil and Klefbom, ha ha.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Hockey's Future: Where all you need to know about a player can be found on HockeyDB.
Is it your contention that his game is progressing?

Why dont you break it down for us?

Old
05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Is it your contention that his game is progressing?

Why dont you break it down for us?
Yes, that is my contention.

Boudreau had no problem breaking up pairings or benching our biggest star players for entire periods, nor did it trouble him to break up lines and pairings if they came up short. That never happened with Fowler. He stayed on that top pairing for the entire year. It happened on occasion with Lubo, Sbisa, and Lydman, but not Cam. Keep in mind, we weren't lacking for a replacement, Lubo was our #1 last year, and led the entire NHL in points, he could have easily taken over for him, but he didn't.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Anthony Eclair
Anthony Eclair

I'm really surprised no one said Petrovic yet... Other than me

Anthony Eclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Duck fans can wax poetic all they want on Fowler but he is -53 in 2 years in the NHL. He is very poor 5 on 5 and would have been better suited with another year at least at Windsor. Yes he was rushed.

Joe Hallenback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Duck fans can wax poetic all they want on Fowler but he is -53 in 2 years in the NHL. He is very poor 5 on 5 and would have been better suited with another year at least at Windsor. Yes he was rushed.
The void. It's staring back.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

This is why Anaheim fans get frustrated with other fans who don't know what they are talking about in regards to Fowler.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:07 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

We dont agree with you so that means we dont know what we are talking about?

Ok then.

The only "evidence" you have put forward to support your position is that two recently fired coaches have decided to play him on the top unit.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
We dont agree with you so that means we dont know what we are talking about?

Ok then.

The only "evidence" you have put forward to support your position is that two recently fired coaches have decided to play him on the top unit.
No, you don't know what you're talking about when your entire argument is based on the +/- stat.

As for said coaches, you don't think it says something that two NHL coaches put him on the top pairing? You know better, right?

Old
05-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

BTW - I don't think many Anaheim fans would say he hasn't been rushed, but your contention is that he isn't an NHL player. You're wrong.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:

Also - 29 points was good enough to lead his team's blue line in points. Anaheim was awful this season.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
No, you don't know what you're talking about when your entire argument is based on the +/- stat.

As for said coaches, you don't think it says something that two NHL coaches put him on the top pairing? You know better, right?
No, my observations were that he wasnt progressing, and, in fact his game was regressing, based on watching the player play the last three seasons.

The +/- numbers and his box cars back that observation up.

Can you really tell us that you were happy with Fowler's play this year? Not even a little disappointed?

I disagree with what coaches do all the time. Doesnt make me right or wrong. Ive been both. So have they. Your point?

Old
05-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
BTW - I don't think many Anaheim fans would say he hasn't been rushed, but your contention is that he isn't an NHL player. You're wrong.
That wasnt a declaration, but its not that far from the truth at this point in time. Fact is he probably would have been better off developing in junior.

Quote:
Also - 29 points was good enough to lead his team's blue line in points. Anaheim was awful this season.
Both of these are true. But he did lead in PPTOI/G and was second in ESTOI/G.

He also played 12 more games than Visnovsky yet had only 2 more points, so the assertion that he led the team in scoring for dmen is a little misleading.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:25 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
How is it misleading? It's a fact. Really, I don't see why people put these aggressive expectations on Fowler despite it not even being 2 full years since he first threw on an Anaheim sweater. Most OFD's need 2 years in junior/minor before they can even step in and then 20 points is considered to be something impressive. Cam scores double that his first year and 9+ that his second year and somehow he's a seive. I'll never understand this.
Quote:
No, my observations were that he wasnt progressing, and, in fact his game was regressing, based on watching the player play the last three seasons.

Can you really tell us that you were happy with Fowler's play this year? Not even a little disappointed?

I disagree with what coaches do all the time. Doesnt make me right or wrong. Ive been both. So have they. Your point?
He played with less fire. He lacked confidence and it was obvious. The games where he played with confidence, yes he look even better than he did last year. As a whole he looked better than last year. Not as much as I would've liked but he certainly didn't regress. I'd even argue that half of those minuses come from dumb puck luck, Hiller letting in soft goals, and Beauchemin not marking his man well enough. I can count at least 9 -'s that came from goals that went in right off the faceoff. And since he was playing on Getzlaf's line, who was atrocious 5 on 5, he never got much of a chance to add any pluses. We aren't worried at all. Disappointed? Somewhat, but he's pretty low on the list of players we're disappointed in this year. Also, we had 5 players in the top 30 scorers the season before. This year we didn't have one guy get more than 70. The entire team was awful as a group. Fowler didn't regress one bit. Going back to Windsor would do nothing for Cam's development. He was too good for the OHL.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:

I could also point to Team USA, where he's on the top pairing with Jack Johnson. Do you sense a pattern here?

His offensive game didn't progress. His defensive game took big steps. Was I disappointed? A bit, yeah, but I was much more disappointed with the team overall. You want to know who regressed far more than Fowler? Lydman, Visnovsky, Perry, Getzlaf, and Hiller's first half. The entire team took a step backwards, and you're trying to suggest that Fowler isn't NHL-ready based on his stats. Give me a break.

Quote:
Im not sure Fowler is ready for the nhl tbh
Your words.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
That wasnt a declaration, but its not that far from the truth at this point in time. Fact is he probably would have been better off developing in junior.
We'll never know, will we?

Quote:
Both of these are true. But he did lead in PPTOI/G and was second in ESTOI/G.

He also played 12 more games than Visnovsky yet had only 2 more points, so the assertion that he led the team in scoring for dmen is a little misleading.
Yes, he only had 2 more points than the defenseman last year who lead the league in points and was ranked 4th in Norris votes. OH MY GOD! THE HORROR!