HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A New Jersey vs. Phoenix Final.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:40 PM
DickSmehlik

vCash: 500
A New Jersey vs. Phoenix Final.

Talk about a nightmare scenario for the league if there ever was one.

This isn’t a fan base pile on thread. Both teams have die hard fans and I am not stating that if they both made the Finals, they wouldn’t deserve to be there but from a ratings stand point I couldn’t imagine a worse scenario for the NHL. Defensive hockey battles in two small markets would result in some low, low ratings.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
No matter how it turns out, it'll more than likely be lower than normal.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSmehlik View Post

This isn’t a fan base pile on thread. Both teams have die hard fans and I am not stating that if they both made the Finals, they wouldn’t deserve to be there but from a ratings stand point I couldn’t imagine a worse scenario for the NHL. Defensive hockey battles in two small markets would result in some low, low ratings.
Oy..

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

hate to break it to ya, but the Devils are in the same market as the Rangers.

in 03 the Ducks-Devils final was the highest of all time, pretty sure it still isn't but it was at one point. Plus if the Devils make it Ranger fans will still watch and root for the yotes, and vice versa

Officer Rod Farva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
Wouldn't the league love this? NBC would hate it, not the league.

It would certainly help get new fans for both teams.

Phoenix is well.. Phoenix and NJ would love more fans, especially with their financial situations.

05-09-2012, 03:54 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSmehlik View Post

Just because the Devils play good defense doesn't mean they don't play offense. The Devils have the one of the better forechecks of all the teams remaining and you could argue that they have the most offensive oriented system of all the teams remaining as well.

EliasR8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

You realize that the league wants the Coyotes to win the cup because it would dramatically increase attendance and basically save the franchise?

Hell Zeon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Ignoramus*

It would be a nightmare for the league. Then again, Washington-Phoenix might be even worse.

Ignoramus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
You realize that the league wants the Coyotes to win the cup because it would dramatically increase attendance and basically save the franchise?
Definitely. I don't understand why people always seem to confuse the league with NBC.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:58 PM
duckchobbins

I think the ratings for the Final will be the lowest in a while no matter who gets there at this point. Unless the conference final rounds are amazing, I don't expect much for ratings in the Final.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:58 PM
devilsarmy17

My dream come true, but if the Devils do not advance to the Finals and Phoenix does, I won't even bother to watch it. I'd be more inclined to watch LA vs either team remaining.

devilsarmy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:59 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Devils/Ducks in 2003 was the highest rated Finals of the Dead Puck Era if I remember correctly, and that was x1000 worse than this would be.

I feel like people would be interested in it because it's something out of the ordinary. People are sick of constantly having Pittsburgh/Philly/Original Six teams jammed down their throat.

Plus there's a lot of interesting storylines - Phoenix being sold, Marty's last series or not, Doan's first deep run, the Mike Smith story, injured Kovy, Tippet vs. DeBoer. These are two teams with a lot of likable players and personalities. Not to mention they'd have to have beaten some damn good teams on the way to get there.

Anyone cringing about this series would be doing so on name and reputation alone. It would be a great hockey match up.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:00 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Is New Jersey really a small market?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Definitely. I don't understand why people always seem to confuse the league with NBC.
The league wants high TV ratings. They have the worst paying TV deal of any major sport for a reason (low TV ratings). They really don't care about 1 particular market at the expense of the entire league.

And it's not like winning the cup will turn Phoenix into a booming hockey market anyway. Look how many cups the Devils won and they are bankrupt.

Old
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Is New Jersey really a small market?
No. A lot of NJ is considered the NY market.

Old
Mayor Garcetti
its a big ****in day

I've yet to see any boring play from either team.

The PHX/CHI series was really good IMO, as was NJD/FLA. If they both make the finals, I'm sure it will be exciting hockey. Given, there may be many fans who won't give it a chance because they aren't the "huge" markets (and I'm not even sure that's an argument against the Devils), but what are ya gonna do? Sometimes it's impossible to get some folks to accept the unorthodox.

Mayor Garcetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:01 PM
jerseydevil

The Devils - Flyers outdrew the Rangers- Caps on NBC (actual NBC) by approx 1 million viewers nationally..

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I think the ratings for the Final will be the lowest in a while no matter who gets there at this point. Unless the conference final rounds are amazing, I don't expect much for ratings in the Final.
What are you basing this opinion on?

New York-Los Angeles would shatter all NHL ratings records.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Beleafs View Post
The league wants high TV ratings. They have the worst paying TV deal of any major sport for a reason (low TV ratings). They really don't care about 1 particular market at the expense of the entire league.

And it's not like winning the cup will turn Phoenix into a booming hockey market anyway. Look how many cups the Devils won and they are bankrupt.
And the league now doesn't care since they are ten years away from a new TV deal. In nine years they will not want this, but right now they do. The Devils haven't won a cup in nine years. If they win this year, bankruptcy might not happen.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:04 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:

another common misconception.."the Devils are bankrupt"..simply not true. The NY POST stories that have been picked up nationally still have ZERO facts to support them. Just "inside sources". Devils tax returns show a profit on the hockey team...the ownership struggle has caused most of the mess..

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
It's a little premature to be thinking of or talking of whose going to be in the final before it's even been decided, surely?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:05 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
What if it's the Rangers vs. the Kings. Am I the only one who views this as best case scenario for NBC and the league. I know they aren't the sexy teams with the superstars NBC loves to sell (Pittsburgh, Washington, Etc.) or the teams that have become popular over the last few years because of the success they have had (Chicago, Philly, Etc.) but LA and NYC are the two largest markets in America. I think it would be a dream scenario for the league and NBC.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Rink Rage

Phoenix is the biggest bandwagon town of all time. Phoenix will be fine, and the Devils have done well in the past.

Rink Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BeastoftheEast85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Yea the league has a fixed revenue stream from NBC regardless of viewers.

Btw, maybe I am a homer but the Devils seem like one of the most interesting teams atm. We are the most aggressive team left in the playoffs so defensive is no excuse and between the Kovalchuk fiasco, the failure last season, financial issues, and Parise as an upcoming UFA; I can't think of another team with so many story lines.

Last edited by BeastoftheEast85: 05-09-2012 at 04:31 PM.
BeastoftheEast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

Quote:

Devils aren't bankrupt, they signed a guy to a 100m contract and always spend up to the cap hit. Really disproves your post too.

Hell Zeon* is offline   Reply With Quote