HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Finland (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Lapa

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artorein View Post
That 4th line is probably there just to add some extra scoring against France. And also give Kiiskinen and Tuppurainen a chance to play and see how they do.

This kinda proves that Jalonen doesnt even plan on trying Kiiskinen on the 1st line which is the right thing to do IMO. Just because Kiiskinen scored couple nice goals in the EHT games doesnt mean that he can actually do something against the top teams in this tournament.
I'd give Kiiskinen a shot. Move Jokinen to 3rd line, Joensuu to 4th line, scratch Pyörälä and add Kiiskinen to 1st. Pyörälä has been very invisible, Jokinen-Kapanen could click well and Joensuu's place right now is in the 4th line IMO.

Not saying current lines are bad, but those would be my moves.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:21 AM
ReyHF
Neutral fan

vCash: 500
While i agree Jokinen hasnt been good, he is still better than Kiiskinen.

If changes were made i would try Komarov/Joensuu/Granlund on the first line instead of him. Pyorala is kinda supposed to be invisible playing on the 4th line but if someone takes his place that would be Tuppurainen.

Kiiskinen in this tournament is just an insurance if scoring forward gets injured. I dont think Jalonen ever planned on really using him IMO.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Lapa

Pyörälä is good defensively, yes. But he has no use offensively, compared to Joensuu/Tuppurainen/etc. Thus, I think we have more use for them than Pyörälä as Joensuu/Tuppurainen are more useful.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Finnswiss

I wonder a little bit why Jalonen doesn't add Teemu Pulkkinen to the team. If I'm not wrong he is talented and I think he is in the same age as Mikael Granlund, something about 20 years old or am I wrong now isn't it correct?

Or is he engaged in Canada in the NHL?

Old
05-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Lapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
I wonder a little bit why Jalonen doesn't add Teemu Pulkkinen to the team. If I'm not wrong he is talented and I think he is in the same age as Mikael Granlund, something about 20 years old or am I wrong now isn't it correct?

Pulkkinen has very much potential. However, he has had a very difficult season. We have no use for him right now.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:34 AM
ReyHF
Neutral fan

Quote:

He isnt good enough yet.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Hzzz

Kiiskinen has no use in the 4th line but it will be great to see Tuppurainen playing

Last edited by Hzzz: 05-09-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old
05-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Finnswiss

Quote:
He isnt good enough yet.
Ah ok, I thought he plays more or less on the same level as M. Granlund.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:42 AM
MMANumminen

Timonen? Yes please! Salmela adios

Old
05-09-2012, 08:06 AM
ReyHF
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
Timonen? Yes please! Salmela adios
Injury, wont come.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:49 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Ah ok, I thought he plays more or less on the same level as M. Granlund.
Same level as in same league, than yes they are on the same level.

Same level in how skilled they are and how prepared they are to play, not really.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:07 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
Same level in how skilled they are and how prepared they are to play, not really.
I'd say that in raw skill, Pulkkinen and Granlund are about equals, or with a minor edge for Granlund at best.

However, when it comes to consistence, meaning showing that skill night in night out, Pulkkinen has a lot to do if he wishes to reach Granlund's level. And this is the reason he's not in contention for the men's NT right now.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Finnswiss

Btw, Kiiskinen and Tuppurainen I've never heard anything of them, do they still play in Finland and are they young players with any prospects to become great players on skill level?

Old
05-09-2012, 12:24 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Btw, Kiiskinen and Tuppurainen I've never heard anything of them, do they still play in Finland and are they young players with any prospects to become great players on skill level?
Kiiskinen, 25, is a smallish KalPa scorer, who was brought to camp as a placeholder for better guys, but bought his place in the final team after outplaying the lot of them, showing that coach Jalonen values fresh showings over the name on the jersey.

Tuppurainen, 32, was this season's SM-liiga playoffs MVP, who similarly got in due to having the spring of his life in JYP.

So not exactly young, no... it also remains to be seen whether they can actually be assets on WHC level, but they should be fresh, motivated and in shape.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
MMANumminen

Kiiskinen has been playing in KalPa Kuopio for few years. Maybe that's why he hasn't got any hype or attention. Actually he is their best scorer of all time. He is born 1986 and is small and skilled playmaker winger. Next year he goes to KHL.
Strenghts: Speed, agility, good shooter
Weaknesses: Size

Tuppurainen has been solid forever but this year he made the final breakthrough. He was the best player of FEL's champion JYP in playoffs this year. He's already 32.
Very fast and gritty player even though he is small as well.

Good additions to Finnish roster even I don't know why they took Pihlström away. But maybe Jokinen finally woke up and we'll see what he can do. We can hope.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:50 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Injury, wont come.
Don't want, played like crap in the playoffs.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Finnswiss

Quote:
Kiiskinen has been playing in KalPa Kuopio for few years. Maybe that's why he hasn't got any hype or attention. Actually he is their best scorer of all time. He is born 1986 and is small and skilled playmaker winger. Next year he goes to KHL.

Good additions to Finnish roster even I don't know why they took Pihlström away. But maybe Jokinen finally woke up and we'll see what he can do. We can hope.
Ok tks for info. Size is by the way not always a disadvantage. I remember well Reijo Routsalainen he wasn't very big either, if I'm not wrong only about 1.7m so for an ice hockey player not very big. But he could compensate the lack of size by his skating abilities and his view for the game. Correct me if I'm wrong but in Finland he belongs to the great ice hockey players and could also stand his man in the NHL. I'm not sure if he even won 1 or 2 times the Stanley Cup.

I remember him well because he played long time ago here in Switzerland for SC Bern and led them to 2 titles if I'm correct. His teammates said that he could skate backwards almost as fast than others forward.

But ok I have no idea about Kiiskinens skating skills as I can't watch finnish players playing except of international tournaments like WHC or Olympics. For that reason I ask the Finns for some information if I want to know something.

Last edited by Finnswiss: 05-09-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old
05-09-2012, 12:52 PM
ReyHF
Neutral fan

Quote:

Tuppurainen has been solid forever but this year he made the final breakthrough. He was the best player of FEL's champion JYP in playoffs this year. He's already 32.
Very fast and gritty player even though he is small as well.

Kiiskinen isnt particularly fast. Thats something he himself said needs to improve on. He isnt strong either, so thats not a very good combination and will hold him back in these toughest international games.

Tuppurainen wasnt really best player for JYP IMO, i dont know how they gave the MVP to him and not Perrin but anyways, Tuppurainen is fast and gritty indeed so im eager to see what he can do, since he has a real chance to play on the 4th line in the bigger games.

I think Jalonen left Pihlstrom out because he has nothing to prove. He's been solid on the 4th line and will continue to skate hard.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Mestaruus

There's one thing that I really dont like. Ok, the whole goal here in the group stage is that Finland will avoid Canada in the QF game no matter what, so here is the schedule for our group's game for the last 2 days of the group stage:

Monday:
Finland-Kazakstan

Tuesday:
12:15 Canada-Belarus
16:15 Slovakia-France
20:15 USA-Switzerland

So if we happen to win 1 and lose 1 out of USA & CAN games, which is very likely outcome or even if we win both games and the whole group. All other top teams in our starting group have a game in the last day, while we don't so they get to "choose" their opponent.

Let's take the last game of our group USA-Switzerland. Switzerland is probably battling for life and death so they'd stay above SVK in the group standings, so they don't really care about who they face as long as they get in the QF game, but it could very well be that USA could could face Finland instead of Canada based on if they win the last game or not. If they need a win they'll be so motivated that they'll get it done vs Switzerland. If they need a loss to face Finland instead of Canada, i'm sure that will happen as well, due to being unmotivated to play.

This is of course speculation, but my point is that I really dislike how we don't have the last game while they do...

Sweden beat us once again. They have a game in the last day at 21:00, so they get to control the situation if needed (not needed).

I personally don't care at all if Finland wins the group or not. We might still face Canada as a 'reward'. Most important thing is to have that game in the last day of the group stage which we as current world champions are seeded not to have. Nice system. This is way more important than the game schedule and group drawing even and yet our team as the reigning world champions are in a disadvantage.

Last edited by Mestaruus: 05-09-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old
05-09-2012, 03:29 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

^Interesting speculation, but it's like boobs on Jutila - completely useless.

I know Jalonen. Even if he did know that a win would bring a QF vs. Canada, he wouldn't tell his guys to lose on purpose. So it's a moot point.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:33 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
^Interesting speculation, but it's like boobs on Jutila - completely useless.

I know Jalonen. Even if he did know that a win would bring a QF vs. Canada, he wouldn't tell his guys to lose on purpose. So it's a moot point.
Canada is no Sweden.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:10 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaruus View Post
There's one thing that I really dont like. Ok, the whole goal here in the group stage is that Finland will avoid Canada in the QF game no matter what, so here is the schedule for our group's game for the last 2 days of the group stage:

Rest of speculation
Isnt anyone going straight to semis anymore?

Old
05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
ReyHF
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Isnt anyone going straight to semis anymore?
I dont think its ever been that way (or at least for the past years), correct me if im wrong.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
QnebO

Quote:
I dont think its ever been that way (or at least for the past years), correct me if im wrong.
Probably it was the olympics then. I remember sweden going staright to semis allways.. them ********.

Or then theres a slight chance that I remember totally wrong. But no, it is atleast in olympics that way.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Or then theres a slight chance that I remember totally wrong. But no, it is atleast in olympics that way.
In the junior tournaments the group winner gets an automatic bye to semis.

In the olympics, all of top-8 played the QF in Turin. In Vancouver, the group winners and the best seeded #2 (which was Finland) got an automatic bye to QFs, while the remaining seeds played a "lucky loser" match for the final three slots. It was a bit wonky system.

Closed Thread