HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

French-Canadians in the French national team?

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
French-Canadians in the French national team?

Hi.

Now as the IIHF World Championship is beeing played there's something that crossed my mind concerning the French national team. When I watched France play a couple of days ago, I started to think that they could have a much better team. Maybe this is a stupid question, but what about all the French-Canadian players? There has to be a lot of players from the French part of Canada who aren't good enough to play for Canada, but still good enough to play for France.

I mean, I tend to see a lot of French-Canadians play in the French league and from what I can see, there are three of them in the WC roster. And one of them - Alexandre Rouleau, is even born in Quebec, Canada.

Why isn't it more common with French-Canadians in the French national team?

*Sorry for the ugly mistake trying to make the thread name bold.*

Last edited by bp spec: 05-09-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old
05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Maybe someone at the French federation actually cares about developing the sport in FRANCE and developing FRENCH players?

Old
05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Hi.

Now as the IIHF World Championship is beeing played there's something that crossed my mind concerning the French national team. When I watched France play a couple of days ago, I started to think that they could have a much better team. Maybe this is a stupid question, but what about all the French-Canadian players? There has to be a lot of players from the French part of Canada who aren't good enough to play for Canada, but still good enough to play for France.

I mean, I tend to see a lot of French-Canadians play in the French league and from what I can see, there are three of them in the WC roster. And one of them - Alexandre Rouleau, is even born in Quebec, Canada.

Why isn't it more common with French-Canadians in the French national team?

*Sorry for the ugly mistake trying to make the thread name bold.*
All of those franco-canadians first have to play in France league for two years. So, first you need few rich clubs that can sign, at least, ECHL "stars". Everything below that you can find in your backyard. I think France used a lot of their canadians in 90-s, but once when they got relegated to Division 1, back in 2001. they switched to "domestic" mode.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quebec has been separated from France for almost 300 years.

Asking this question is like asking why there aren't more Americans playing for the British national team.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:28 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Do they even understand eachother when they speak, IIRC the two french accents are almost different languages, the quebec french sounds like french in france some hundred years ago

Old
05-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

They have been seperated for too long. Believe it or not during WW1 (and WW2 to a lesser degree) there was a lot of protest in Quebec about going to fight in France, mostly it was English Canadians who went.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Do they even understand eachother when they speak, IIRC the two french accents are almost different languages, the quebec french sounds like french in france some hundred years ago
I think French Canadians can understand Parisienne French, but people from France have a hard time the other way. The difference in spoken languages is probably not that different than Svenska och Norska.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
thom

Though I support Quebec one must remember there were many violent protests to keep Quebec out of WW1 and 2 .During the 70's the FLQ were a terrrorist group that murdered a British Politician.And players like Guy Lafleur were harassed and sent hate mail for not joining the cause.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
EbencoyE

National team eligibility has nothing to do with ethnic heritage or descent.

To be eligible for a national team you must have citizenship in that country, and have played at least 2 seasons there - regardless if you are ethnically French or not. You can be ethnically Chinese for all the IIHF cares, as long as you meet this criteria.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:55 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post

Asking this question is like asking why there aren't more Americans playing for the British national team.
Exactly this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Yeah, we do understand each other. They aren't even close to be different languages and you don't what you're saying about Quebec's french sounding like hundred years ago... My god!

Nevertheless, there are many accents in Quebec and some might be harder to understand (like Gaspesie, St-Lac Lake, etc...). But the same applies to some regions in France.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Moen in Glory
@MoeninGlory

Think about UK english and US english. Most americans will have understand everything an englishman says, and vice versa. They will spot some differences, but the main obstacle is the accent.

A texan and someone from Scotland will have more trouble communicating, just like a Quebecer from Beauce region and, say a person from southern France.

I spoke to people from New Brunswick and they had close to no "accent" at all (from a french standpoint)

Old
05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
I think French Canadians can understand Parisienne French, but people from France have a hard time the other way.
I think it's more than that - there's a certain level of "snobbery" against "French Canadian".

Old
05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
NicolasH

Nearly everything has been said. You have to play for some yers in the french championship to be eligible which is the biggest problem because if you're good, you ain't going to play in France (most of the French team players don't play in France).

We still have two of them : Alexandre Rouleau and Julien Desrosiers, both born in Canada.

In my opinion, I prefer to have the team we have now, being at our place and not having a lot of canadians. For me, a canadian in the french national team is the same as an american. Okay, they speak the same language as us, but they're still players that haven't had any formation in our country so that sound strange.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
I don't think there's a whole lot of love for France in Quebec either, France essentially abandoned them to the British back in colonial times

Old
05-09-2012, 01:55 PM
NicolasH

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
I don't think there's a whole lot of love for France in Quebec either, France essentially abandoned them to the British back in colonial times

Old
05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Maybe someone at the French federation actually cares about developing the sport in FRANCE and developing FRENCH players?
Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post
All of those franco-canadians first have to play in France league for two years. So, first you need few rich clubs that can sign, at least, ECHL "stars". Everything below that you can find in your backyard. I think France used a lot of their canadians in 90-s, but once when they got relegated to Division 1, back in 2001. they switched to "domestic" mode.
Thanks. Maybe the relegation was a good thing after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasH View Post
Nearly everything has been said. You have to play for some yers in the french championship to be eligible which is the biggest problem because if you're good, you ain't going to play in France (most of the French team players don't play in France).

We still have two of them : Alexandre Rouleau and Julien Desrosiers, both born in Canada.

In my opinion, I prefer to have the team we have now, being at our place and not having a lot of canadians. For me, a canadian in the french national team is the same as an american. Okay, they speak the same language as us, but they're still players that haven't had any formation in our country so that sound strange.
Thanks. I do understand that you want as many "real" Frenchmen as possible on the team. Even though the results maybe suffers from it, haha. But seriously, the way it is now is much better long term for France as a hockey country.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:38 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasH View Post
Even if you didn't have to play in France for two years, you would still have to go and live there to simply get your citizenship, because contrary to what some seem to be assuming, French Canadians are not eligible for French citizenship unless they go and live there.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I think it's more than that - there's a certain level of "snobbery" against "French Canadian".
Most people I have met from france don't feel people from quebec are "true" french. at best they feel the quebecios (sp?) are like hillbillies.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Most people I have met from france don't feel people from quebec are "true" french.
Why would they?

Old
05-09-2012, 03:41 PM
truefan8993

Quote:

Exactly.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:52 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Why would they?
Because brits consider yanks and kiwis among others to be true brits!

Old
05-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Questions answered. Closed.

Closed Thread