HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 01:41 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
You know what sucks beyond having this BUM another 8 yrs?

We are going to have to deal BOB to create more cap space for a D.

Despite everybody hating on a rookie for getting lit up by the future cup champs, BOB shows incredible potential, work ethic, and athleticism.

He's gonna be a starter some where. If he can curb the butterfly issue, he will be a darn good one too.
Yea. he's real awesome. marone. it is hell for da goalies here. right here on this forum. sucks that its over. this is the most depressing loss since 1997. It really looked like our year. sucks so bad.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
wasnt their fault? you dont fault them but fault bryz? why doesnt anyone admit they hate the guy and stop agruing about him.

you know my problem is, im sick and tired of people whining about not getting a goalie plus being cheap about not getting one, you get one, you give him money and the fans are never satisfied again, are philly fans out of their minds or something? you want a cup i get it but it doesnt take a goalie to win it, it takes all three defense, offense, goaltending, it's called team, what do you call it goaltending hockey? why dont they just have bryz thrown in without defenders just five forwards, if anyone thinks defense is pointless and goalies have to stop everything.

how are people so screwed up to think that it's just goaltending that wins championships, chicago won it, Detroit won it on 08 with strugging osgood, it's a team effort, is that so hard to understand? or is it playing goalie favorites and not the team?
Just ignore. Fans of his got nothing to worry about, we got him locked up for 8 more years. Im happy about that. sucks for those who aren't.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
wasnt their fault? you dont fault them but fault bryz? why doesnt anyone admit they hate the guy and stop agruing about him.
Looks like he's being sarcastic.

05-09-2012, 01:46 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
If a goalie is just a product of his situation then we should just find a way to get rid of Bryz, use his money to create the ideal situation, and then sign a plug-in. Leighton is about to be available.
I have no problem with this...in the right environment Im fine with ML (for 800k). It's about playing to strengths. We played to the strengths of our offensive ability and not to our defense/goaltender.

And I think leighton is awful and a big part of why we lost vs CHI...he'd get killed in net in there with this current team, but better 1 yr 800k than 8 @ 5.6.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Devastate

I'm a fan of bryz, but I know he **** the bed too often. I think he'll have a better year, but he has a lot of issues that don't seem to be addressed.

Id like it if they brought in a new goaie coach.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:47 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Yea. he's real awesome. marone. it is hell for da goalies here. right here on this forum. sucks that its over. this is the most depressing loss since 1997. It really looked like our year. sucks so bad.
You mad your saving grace was garbage 9/10 of the season and was one of the worst goalies in the post season?

Old
05-09-2012, 01:59 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
If a goalie is just a product of his situation then we should just find a way to get rid of Bryz, use his money to create the ideal situation, and then sign a plug-in. Leighton is about to be available.
See this is exactly what I'm talking about (minus the Leighton part). If Bryz can't succeed with this situation, why are we paying him so much to be here? I would rather try to win in spite of a plug-in making 1 mill than try to win in spite of Bryz taking up a huge chunk of our cap.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Oh I absolutely blame the management. It was a stupid, knee-jerk reaction to the goalie carousel in last year's playoffs and was a terrible decision. I'm not blaming Bryz for taking the money, but he can absolutely be blamed for sub par performance.

And it doesn't matter if he's not actually "elite". The fact is he's getting PAID to be elite so no matter who's to blame he is terrible value and it's a huge opportunity cost. Briere is not elite even though he gets paid to be and you probably can't win a cup with him as your first line center. The difference is that you can move Briere to the second line or wing and he can still contribute despite his shortcomings and relative lack of value compared to what his cap hit is. You can't do that with a goalie. If we brought in somebody that actually IS good enough to win a cup with we would have 5.66 in dead cap space sitting on the bench not contributing at ALL.

I don't put 100% of this debacle on Bryz. Just most of it. Obviously you have to blame the management for that absurd contract and poor scouting but for large chunks of the season Bryz was playing well below replacement level. He inspires absolutely no confidence and the amount of backbreaking softies he lets in is mind boggling.

Bryz shouldn't get the blame for everything. There were lots of things that went wrong and everyone on the team is responsible in some way. But throughout the season Bryz was most definitely part of the problem, not the solution. And you can't pay a goalie the kind of money he makes to make your team worse. Say what you want about the system, the backchecking, the defense, whatever but if you can sit there and tell me with a straight face that Bryz had an overall positive season and that you are confident with him going forward then get the hell out of here.
Yes it does, how can you be Elite if you never were actually elite? Bryz never showed that he was capable of being elite (I mean if you kinda take March into consideration but that was more like a hot streak), no money in the world can change your level skill. If you're a mediocre goalie at best, no matter what you get paid you will still be a mediocre goalie.

As I've stated earlier in this thread, since Bryz will remain here and we have to deal with him, and we're expecting to see some major D changes this season, Lavi should opt for a more defensive system. Just balance it out so the system doesn't leave the goalie to hang dry. Cliche saying goes: "You need D to win." and that's precisely the case.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:05 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJagr View Post
Yes it does, how can you be Elite if you never were actually elite? Bryz never showed that he was capable of being elite (I mean if you kinda take March into consideration but that was more like a hot streak), no money in the world can change your level skill. If you're a mediocre goalie at best, no matter what you get paid you will still be a mediocre goalie.

As I've stated earlier in this thread, since Bryz will remain here and we have to deal with him, and we're expecting to see some major D changes this season, Lavi should opt for a more defensive system. Just balance it out so the system doesn't leave the goalie to hang dry. Cliche saying goes: "You need D to win." and that's precisely the case.
and we have seen this happen and bryz be very effective.

I mean watching the phx Nsh series...Nsh had NO space. PHX forwards rotated to guys well and were dogged in persuit.

Our forwards are not.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
You mad your saving grace was garbage 9/10 of the season and was one of the worst goalies in the post season?
No i think he held us in games a lot better than our past selections in goal would have. I think our youthful speedy injured players ran into a bigger, more physical, structured team defensively. You can't score when you have possession for 5 seconds a game. so i think its retarded to blame bryzgalov with the way we played. If you need to simplify things in a team game down to one player go ahead but i see much more that went on here than a few bad goals. i saw a lot of superior saves at key moments that did us no good because we were spent. go devils.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:23 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
See this is exactly what I'm talking about (minus the Leighton part). If Bryz can't succeed with this situation, why are we paying him so much to be here? I would rather try to win in spite of a plug-in making 1 mill than try to win in spite of Bryz taking up a huge chunk of our cap.
Because the upper management just threw money at the situation without doing any research or scouting...

Old
05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
even Lundqvist would be posting those numbers here.
I dont know about that.So you are comparing Bryz skills to Lundqvists? Sorry man but they are centuries apart man.Light years.

Bryz=Avg starting goalie
Lundqvist=World Class

NO COMPARISON WHAT SO EVER

Old
05-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
I dont know about that.So you are comparing Bryz skills to Lundqvists? Sorry man but they are centuries apart man.Light years.

Bryz=Avg starting goalie
Lundqvist=World Class

NO COMPARISON WHAT SO EVER
hello, welcome to Bash-a-delphianvillle..

free cookies at the corner table.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:32 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Because the upper management just threw money at the situation without doing any research or scouting...
I doubt it.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:42 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I doubt it.
Well I'm sure they did some...but did they expect Bryz to come over here to an exactly opposite system of PHX's and thrive? They also should have been aware of his mental toughness coming to a difficult city to play in, as well as his athleticism (or lack-thereof) which would be required to bail out an aggressive defense.

People continue to deny the system, it's baffling. Tippett's system made Bryz great, almost a Vezina winner. It's doing the same to Mike Smith too, who couldn't win the job on a team w/o a goalie. Without that, Bryz is just inconsistent...good when he's on, very bad when he's not.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Andre Poodle Lussier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Like it or not, these are the rules of the game. OTL points are not a reward, they are what they are. Dallas accepted these rules, and they lost out in the end fair and square. LA was just the better team.
You and I will disagree on OTL points. The NHL shouldn't reward extra points for teams playing more than 60 minutes. If anything, going to OT and winning (or losing) should have less value than a regulation win but I digress.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
8 more years!

Old
05-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
8 more years!
I wonder if we'll be saying "a couple months!" in Bryz Thread #48?

Old
05-09-2012, 03:54 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Well I'm sure they did some...but did they expect Bryz to come over here to an exactly opposite system of PHX's and thrive? They also should have been aware of his mental toughness coming to a difficult city to play in, as well as his athleticism (or lack-thereof) which would be required to bail out an aggressive defense.

People continue to deny the system, it's baffling. Tippett's system made Bryz great, almost a Vezina winner. It's doing the same to Mike Smith too, who couldn't win the job on a team w/o a goalie. Without that, Bryz is just inconsistent...good when he's on, very bad when he's not.
I think Bryz did show many athletic flashes. I really don't think it is time to brand him as being slow or slothful or lazy. We'll know more next year, I reckon.

Cannot argue with the rest of what you said.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:57 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
People continue to deny the system, it's baffling.
I was baffled but not any longer; it is pretty that some people will argue anything to keep the focus from their heroes. For those who worship Lavi and Kimmo and Roo, blaming the world on Bryzgalov is quite convenient.

Not saying it makes them bad people, as I think everyone does that to some degree at some time.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I was baffled but not any longer; it is pretty that some people will argue anything to keep the focus from their heroes. For those who worship Lavi and Kimmo and Roo, blaming the world on Bryzgalov is quite convenient.

Not saying it makes them bad people, as I think everyone does that to some degree at some time.
Like how some people will blame others (Lavi, Timonen, Briere, anybody) to deflect all blame away from Bryzgalov?

Old
05-09-2012, 04:18 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Like how some people will blame others (Lavi, Timonen, Briere, anybody) to deflect all blame away from Bryzgalov?
Really you can't pin point the blame on a specific person, the team lost as a whole. However each person had their share of individual mistakes. And they all deserve their share of the blame, but you can't say one player is why we lost the series/playoffs. As far as our assessments goes to say that the entire team failed to function against the Devils. Was Bryz good during the Devils? Yes, but that's it, and that's not enough. Honestly you can't look at Bryz's overall season and say he had a good season.

You can say the D was at fault or you can say Bryz just sucks back and forth but the matter of fact is something needs to be done about both of them. Lavi need to get the players on the same page and adapt a system that suits everyone, that's his responsibility as a coach.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:

Change Lavi, Kimmo, and Roo to Richards, Carter, and Jones and switch Bryzgalov to Stevens.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

The team's D is worse than it has been in recent years; that still doesn't change the fact that Bryz was pretty damn bad on his own, independent of them. The D didn't give Bryz lots of support all the time, but Bryz wasn't helping himself out either, and he certainly didn't bail them out for almost the entire season.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
The team's D is worse than it has been in recent years; that still doesn't change the fact that Bryz was pretty damn bad on his own, independent of them. The D didn't give Bryz lots of support all the time, but Bryz wasn't helping himself out either, and he certainly didn't bail them out for almost the entire season.
I agree, but really what did we expect from Bryz? Like I said before he is a mediocre goalie at best with a moment here and there. He was never an exceptional goalie to begin with. Him getting paid this much shouldn't have changed the fact that he isn't a stellar performer. And him getting paid this much won't change that fact.

Closed Thread