HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Fans Headed to DC

Old
05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
nyrmetros

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Were at redline. Where are you?
We stopped by Redline, they didn't look open??

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:49 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I hope there are plenty of Ranger fans down there tonight!!

05-09-2012, 03:59 PM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
We stopped by Redline, they didn't look open??
It's open! We are upstairs. You gotta take the staircase up

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
It's open! We are upstairs. You gotta take the staircase up
IN. $4 drafts..

Old
05-09-2012, 04:34 PM
finger11

Quote:
IN. $4 drafts..
worst draft lineup for a self-proclaimed grastopub i've ever seen

finger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:49 PM
nyrmetros

Is everyone at the Iron Horse?

Old
05-09-2012, 04:51 PM
RangerFanInJersey

Whoever is going to this game...MAKE SOME NOISE!!!

RangerFanInJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:08 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Is everyone at the Iron Horse?
Ha. No blueshirts there.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:22 PM
nyrmetros

About 300 rangers supporters here in DC.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:10 PM
nyrmetros

Damn it.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:16 AM
McDunna with Fries

Just got home. Hate the ****ing caps.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:31 AM
McDunna with Fries

Experience at the Verizon Center

Just got back. Been to dc several times to party but never to the Verizon Center. It was realllly loud. Louder than any Ranger playoff game I've been to this year and I've been to four games including game 7 against the sens. I was shocked to learn that they only have a max capacity of 300 more than MSG because the arena certainly looks more spacious and was really loud.

One thing I was surprised at was how empty all the bars were before the game. They only started to fill in about 2 hours before the game and even then none of the bars were even remotely close to being as packed as the puck, Molly wees, Stout, Irish times, harringtons or local are several hours before game time.

Crowd chants were really lame, all they did was lets go caps and boo Richards and staal whenever they touched the puck. They chanted lundddqvissssst when Hank misplayed the puck.

One thing I thought was cool was that during the anthem they yell red and O when those words come up during the anthem.

I hate the caps, glad i dont have to go there again. Also, if you ever get the chicken fingers, get them plain because they put wayyyyy too much sauce.

Nice arena overall.

Fans were for the most part very nice. One major difference I noticed was that everyone, even those in the lower level wore red on a weekday night game.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:09 AM
nyerindc
Rookie User

so glad now that I didn't go to that game, and I live in Northern VA. I been there before in previous seasons when the Rangers visit, I don't need to go back there again. I find those fans extremely annoying even if they are polite compared to other cities fans. Most of them know nothing about hockey, can't even name anyone on the team before Ovechkin joined in 2005.They pipe in noise on the loudspeakers at Verizon, which is why its so loud, only giving the illusion that the crowd is noisy and has alot of spirit.

I really hope the Rangers take this series Saturday night. Or else it's gonna be alot of pain the rest of this year. Take it from someone who lives here in DC.

nyerindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:00 AM
finger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyerindc View Post
so glad now that I didn't go to that game, and I live in Northern VA. I been there before in previous seasons when the Rangers visit, I don't need to go back there again. I find those fans extremely annoying even if they are polite compared to other cities fans. Most of them know nothing about hockey, can't even name anyone on the team before Ovechkin joined in 2005.They pipe in noise on the loudspeakers at Verizon, which is why its so loud, only giving the illusion that the crowd is noisy and has alot of spirit.

I really hope the Rangers take this series Saturday night. Or else it's gonna be alot of pain the rest of this year. Take it from someone who lives here in DC.
+10000 I agree with everything in this post. At least I won't be around for G7. I"m giong to be at my sisters wedding... I'm not sure how I'm do this, I'm guessing DVR the game and shut my phone off till I get to watch it sometime Sunday afternoon.

finger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
bigbluebird

I actually really like the VC. I mean I hate the Caps, lol, but it's a nice establishment, nice facilities, and the fans--naive or not--are really ,really passionate without being vicious.

I mean, not to heap praises on the Caps or anything, but it's just a nice place to visit. Plus, yes, they really are a "Sea of Red."

Also, I really think it has to do with the fact that nothing else is going on in that city. For instance, literally to get people to cheer for Wizards games, they have to put Dallas Cowboys logos to get people to boo.

Obvs we know about the Redskins, etc.

ETA: I agree with the earlier poster. Loud or not, our chants/traditions are much better. And nothing beats MSG during an epic playoff moment. I can't explain the difference exactly. But there almost something "hollower" about the VC. When something really exciting happens at MSG, it like this deep, bellowing sound. The lighting, ambiance, history of the building/ghosts everything is just...I can't find the word to describe it. I honestly wouldn't trade the feeling for anything.

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
One major difference I noticed was that everyone, even those in the lower level wore red on a weekday night game.
That's because the lower level is actually affordable compared to only Donald Trump and his staff that can afford to sit by the glass at MSG.

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:02 AM
bigbluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
That's because the lower level is actually affordable compared to only Donald Trump and his staff that can afford to sit by the glass at MSG.
Agreed. Where I was sitting last game (300s) everyone was wearing blue, and most people an actual Jersey. Again, not to rank 'real' fans or anything, because people have explained to me that a lot of the 'suits' are real fans who come from work, but it makes a difference in the lower levels for sure.

But, that's not to take anything away from DC fans tho. Hate the team, but the fans are really passionate.

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote