HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How big are the Rangers in NY?

Old
05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Razor View Post
The only fact I can face from that rant is that you hate basketball. Go cry some more about it, someone might even give you a tissue.
It doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. The Yankees are more popular than the Knicks in every borough and also the suburbs AINEC.

05-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Stepan Razor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
It doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. The Yankees are more popular than the Knicks in every borough and also the suburbs AINEC.
Read the second sentence of my post. 'I wouldn't argue that the Knicks could ever eclipse the Yankees, but when they are good (like back in the 90's and all the way back to the 70's), they're the 2nd most popular team in the city.'

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Read the second sentence of my post. 'I wouldn't argue that the Knicks could ever eclipse the Yankees, but when they are good (like back in the 90's and all the way back to the 70's), they're the 2nd most popular team in the city.'
Oh sorry about that. You're definitely right. As a sport to play, basketball is easily more popular than baseball here.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'm a Knicks fan, but they are getting way too much attention right now for a team that is about to lose a first round playoff series in 5. They didn't achieve nearly what the Rangers did this season- best record in their respective conference, on the verge of ECF- and yet they're talked about more.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
That doesn't make New York/Manhattan a basketball city and that is what that poster took exception to I believe.

I'm not a basketball hater (I went to Syracuse, and I love their basketball team and got really into NCAABB since graduating) but I hate the NBA and I'm resentful of how much coverage the Knicks get in this city. The Knicks are garbage, and have been that way for over a decade yet somehow they still manage to get a disproportionate amount of coverage in the media for such a floundering franchise.

The whole Jeremy Lin nonsense made me sick -- he's not even that good, yet boneheads on ESPN ranked him above guys like Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera as most loved NY sports player and the media wouldn't (and still doesn't) shut the hell up about him when he isn't even playing. Meanwhile, the Rangers are having one of their best seasons in over a decade -- tops in the NHL -- with crucial games on the docket, yet it's somehow more important to talk about Lin and Carmelo feuding.

I understand guys like Fatcessa spending 20 minutes on the Yankees or Mets... baseball is one of those sports you can BS about all day long, and everyone loves to whine about the Mets in this city.

But the disrespect shown toward hockey at times is unjustified and I wish teams were awarded coverage based on merit or "real news" - not what some producer thinks is more important (i.e. is he a Knicks fan and hates hockey?)

Anyway, I went off on a rant and tangent here. Fact is, New York has historically been a baseball city and still currently is one. If that ever changes, I think it would be in favor of football -- not basketball -- as the sport that overtakes baseball. I know that is what you said in the post I'm quoting, but it isn't what you seemed to imply in your earlier post.

During the 94 cup run, I think at times the Rangers were about dead even as the Knicks in terms of popularity too. And since the Knicks choked and the Rangers didn't, for a moment the Rangers were the more popular team.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:28 PM
30theking

New York is a baseaball town first and foremost. When you have the team with the most championships in baseball and the longest history of new york sports, including the most iconic players then baseball is pretty much your number one sport. Plus i think yankee fans outnumber fans of any other new york team.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hagelins Flow View Post
That doesn't make New York/Manhattan a basketball city and that is what that poster took exception to I believe.

I'm not a basketball hater (I went to Syracuse, and I love their basketball team and got really into NCAABB since graduating) but I hate the NBA and I'm resentful of how much coverage the Knicks get in this city. The Knicks are garbage, and have been that way for over a decade yet somehow they still manage to get a disproportionate amount of coverage in the media for such a floundering franchise.

The whole Jeremy Lin nonsense made me sick -- he's not even that good, yet boneheads on ESPN ranked him above guys like Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera as most loved NY sports player and the media wouldn't (and still doesn't) shut the hell up about him when he isn't even playing. Meanwhile, the Rangers are having one of their best seasons in over a decade -- tops in the NHL -- with crucial games on the docket, yet it's somehow more important to talk about Lin and Carmelo feuding.

I understand guys like Fatcessa spending 20 minutes on the Yankees or Mets... baseball is one of those sports you can BS about all day long, and everyone loves to whine about the Mets in this city.

But the disrespect shown toward hockey at times is unjustified and I wish teams were awarded coverage based on merit or "real news" - not what some producer thinks is more important (i.e. is he a Knicks fan and hates hockey?)

Anyway, I went off on a rant and tangent here. Fact is, New York has historically been a baseball city and still currently is one. If that ever changes, I think it would be in favor of football -- not basketball -- as the sport that overtakes baseball. I know that is what you said in the post I'm quoting, but it isn't what you seemed to imply in your earlier post.

During the 94 cup run, I think at times the Rangers were about dead even as the Knicks in terms of popularity too. And since the Knicks choked and the Rangers didn't, for a moment the Rangers were the more popular team.
NY has always been a baseball town. I don't disagree there. My point was that when the Knicks are good - basketball takes over this city.

You mention that you hate the NBA. You're not alone in that regard, many people do. However, the reason that the Knicks get so much media coverage is because there is an audience for it, and many people in this city DO NOT hate the NBA. In fact, many New Yorkers downright love it. The casual sports fan is usually an NBA fan, and NY is filled with tons of them!

I realize my position is going to be unpopular on a hockey board, but the reality is that the Knicks garner a ton of notice...WHEN THEY ARE GOOD. And this year, outside of two really difficult stretches in the regular season, the Knicks have been pretty good - especially compared to the Isiah years.

I've been a hockey-first guy all my life and I will continue to be, and I accept that a lot of hockey fans harbor a bit of resentment towards the NBA because it attracts more media attention. What I don't understand is the fan that is in denial of that reality.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Dangleberry

Quote:

I don't know about that. MSG is referred to as the Mecca of Basketball, for some reason players want to have a career game when playing there. The local talent seems pretty deep, plenty of local kids have made it to the NBA (Mullin, Marbury, Telfair, Artest, Odom, etc.). Not only that, you have Rucker Park and the cage on West 4th. This is highly debatable, but from personal experience, I knew a lot of kids who followed or played basketball but only a few who followed or played baseball/football.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Quote:
NY has always been a baseball town. I don't disagree there. My point was that when the Knicks are good - basketball takes over this city.

You mention that you hate the NBA. You're not alone in that regard, many people do. However, the reason that the Knicks get so much media coverage is because there is an audience for it, and many people in this city DO NOT hate the NBA. In fact, many New Yorkers downright love it. The casual sports fan is usually an NBA fan, and NY is filled with tons of them!

I realize my position is going to be unpopular on a hockey board, but the reality is that the Knicks garner a ton of notice...WHEN THEY ARE GOOD. And this year, outside of two really difficult stretches in the regular season, the Knicks have been pretty good - especially compared to the Isiah years.

I've been a hockey-first guy all my life and I will continue to be, and I accept that a lot of hockey fans harbor a bit of resentment towards the NBA because it attracts more media attention. What I don't understand is the fan that is in denial of that reality.
I agree with you, the Knicks garner a ton of notice -- even when they ARENT GOOD. But I chalk that up to, the Knicks (like the Rangers) playing during a time of year when there isn't much overlap with the other, more popular sports like baseball and football. From November to early April, there's no baseball. From early-Feb to September, there's no football. Since football is a once a week sport, the media fills the gaps from Wednesday to Saturday during the baseball offseason with NBA coverage and pretty much ignores the NHL.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Knicks being a good team or a bad team and that's what I take exception to. If the Knicks are playing well or there is something newsworthy, then sure let's talk Knicks. But why are the Rangers ignored using the excuse "no one cares about hockey?" This can be in November when both league has "arguably meaningless" games. Yet somehow the Knicks playing the Jazz is somehow more exciting then the Rangers playing Philly or NJD.

I am not in denial of the reality that the NBA is more popular than the NHL. I know this to be true. But I think it is perpetuated by the same people who control the popularity -- like that moron ESPN executive who just had that interview about why ESPN hates hockey -- and the producers of talk radio/editors of sports sections who don't devote the time or space for coverage.

People are spoon-fed their news these days, and that feeds a perception of popularity. But I'd just like to experiment reversing roles for a year and see what happens when hockey gets NBA treatment by the media. Let's see what people think with a year or two of that of which sport is more popular.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Come on, man. I dislike basketball as much as anybody, but you're fabricating bias here. Coverage is based on one thing: money. There are way more diehard basketball fans in the city than diehard hockey fans, and any given person is much more likely to be a casual basketball fan than a casual hockey fan.

Basketball gets coverage because it brings in a bigger audience for advertisers. End of story. It has nothing to do with "hating hockey" or any kind of "merit" you perceive.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
I don't know about that. MSG is referred to as the Mecca of Basketball, for some reason players want to have a career game when playing there. The local talent seems pretty deep, plenty of local kids have made it to the NBA (Mullin, Marbury, Telfair, Artest, Odom, etc.). Not only that, you have Rucker Park and the cage on West 4th. This is highly debatable, but from personal experience, I knew a lot of kids who followed or played basketball but only a few who followed or played baseball/football.
I think it is more a factor of MSG being situated in the heart of Manhattan than it being some sort of "basketball mecca". You're playing on the worlds biggest stage, with the broadway lights and cameras focused -- this goes for any type of event in that venue. Boxing was like that, hockey tends to be like that, artists tend to have their best live performances at concerts at MSG... you always want to perform your best when everyone's watching.

As far as having homegrown talent -- I chalk that up to the nature of growing up in a big city. It's hard to grow up in NYC and play baseball or football when there's few parks/fields that could support competitive play. Plus, basketball (like soccer) is accessible to families and their kids across the entire spectrum of socioeconomic backgrounds -- it's cheap and easy to play. You need a ball and a pair of shoes. Courts are small and easy to fit into confined park space/street space.

Only when you get out to the suburbs do the other sports become feasible imo.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:01 PM
JayQueensNY88*

I hate Basketball,I actually despise the sport and 99% of the players!!!!!!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:05 PM
30theking

I really wish the giants stayed in new york where they originally played which was at the polo grounds but they decided to move out and they put apartments in the place where it was. It wouldve been cool cause they wouldve been playing in the heart of new york still and on a historic site plus you wouldnt have to hear people calling them the new jersey giants all the time.

Old
05-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

I would rather be put on a medieval rack than watch a basketball game of any type.

Miamipuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:30 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Hopefully a deep run can catapult the Rangers over the undeservingly popular Knicks. But yeah right now they're under the Yankees, Giants, Jets, Mets, and Knicks.
It's going to take years of deep runs.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:43 PM
RangerFanInJersey

Living and teaching in New Jersey I can tell you that the Rangers are garnering more attention here than you might think. In my town alone I see a ton of Ranger gear when I go somewhere. In the school in which I work the other faculty are talking about it, the kids are talking about it. I see much many more children wearing Ranger jerseys than devils, Knicks, or even mets stuff. Even parents come up to me to talk about the Rangers.

While I wouldn't say it is anywhere in the same category as the Yankees or Giants, the Rangers, at least for this playoff run, have started to become the center of the sports world in our little community.

RangerFanInJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:06 PM
30theking

i think chicago is the same way. I think its more of a basketball town than a hockey town for the most part. But that's most likely cause of what jordan did there.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:26 PM
MSGFaithful

Should the Knicks lose tonight, and the Rangers win, who do you think gets the back covers?

I'm going Knicks. With a Jeremy Lin update. Then something about Mo's ACL. What's going to be on TV, and then the Rangers.

MSGFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:39 PM
30theking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGFaithful View Post
Should the Knicks lose tonight, and the Rangers win, who do you think gets the back covers?

I'm going Knicks. With a Jeremy Lin update. Then something about Mo's ACL. What's going to be on TV, and then the Rangers.
If the knicks lose and the rangers win the rangers i think will be on the back cover. So far this postseason i think they've been on the back page after every win.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30theking View Post
If the knicks lose and the rangers win the rangers i think will be on the back cover. So far this postseason i think they've been on the back page after every win.

Also, its not like the Rangers would be playing Florida in the ECF, it would be the Devils. That is big news.

Rangers winning + Devils in ECF > Knicks losing.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:56 PM
gardenparty

What's odd is that the Flyers came into the NHL in 1967. The Rangers first year was 1926 - a MUCH richer hockey history. Yet, Philadelphia is a hockey-mad town. I know all those Cups have a lot to do with it as did the "Broad Street Bullies" persona they carved out in the '70s which cemented that organization as the darlings of the working class. But it's quite a contrast to NY.

It was reported that the Flyers drew 650,000 viewers to their Sunday game against the Devils. That was double the combined viewership of the Phillies and 76ers!

gardenparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
30theking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenparty View Post
What's odd is that the Flyers came into the NHL in 1967. The Rangers first year was 1926 - a MUCH richer hockey history. Yet, Philadelphia is a hockey-mad town. I know all those Cups have a lot to do with it as did the "Broad Street Bullies" persona they carved out in the '70s which cemented that organization as the darlings of the working class. But it's quite a contrast to NY.

It was reported that the Flyers drew 650,000 viewers to their Sunday game against the Devils. That was double the combined viewership of the Phillies and 76ers!
philly is much more of a football and hockey town than a basketball and baseball town. especially football.

Old
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
folding
Rookie User

Quote:

Ha! I'm a huge 76ers fan, and I'm from New York. So naturally a lot of people ask me how I could have possibly become a 76ers fan and my answer is that I simply hated the Knicks. Just never could like them, never get into them whatsoever. That being said, I live in Philly now and I can count on one hand how many Sixers fans I know, and that's pretty sad (and amusing).

Philly is definitely a hockey town. Some would say these days it's a baseball town but those people are just still feeling the afterglow of a few great seasons recently. Everyone loves the Flyers. The Flyers last won in 1975, yet people around here of any age love that team as if they win every year. The Sixers get no coverage whatsoever and now that the Phillies are playing more like they used to, people are losing interest in them fast. Philadelphia also loves the Eagles but that's a whole other story and it's quite a complicated relationship...

folding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:18 PM
folding
Rookie User

Quote:
philly is much more of a football and hockey town than a basketball and baseball town. especially football.
Mostly everyone in Philly gets behind the Eagles. But every year, usually around January when the Eagles either don't make the playoffs or lose an early playoff game, Eagles fans get really angry. Beyond really angry. Threatening. Crazy. So for a good 4-5 months, the hatred for the Eagles takes over, and it's really tense. Then all of a sudden once the team starts training camp everyone pines for them again, as if nothing happened. It's like a sick abusive relationship. I am one of the only Eagles fans that I know that stays even keel with them throughout the year. It's rare.

folding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
I hate the NBA and I'm resentful of how much coverage the Knicks get in this city. The Knicks are garbage, and have been that way for over a decade yet somehow they still manage to get a disproportionate amount of coverage in the media for such a floundering franchise.

This times 1,000. It is something I have b*tched about for years. The disrespect shown to the Rangers in favor of that garbage franchise that plays in the same arena as us is downright disgusting. I am not a basketball fan, but I hate the Knicks probably more than any team in this area that I don't root for, and I am HUGE Yankees hater.

And it's not just basketball that the Rangers get disrespected for. I will still never forget the Sunday night in January 2007 in between the NFL Conference title games and the Super Bowl, when the ONLY local teams playing that night was the Rangers and the Nets. No Knicks, Giants, Jets, Devils or Islanders. And the Rangers DESTROYED the Bruins 6-1. And the next day on the back pages, Barbaro being put to death got the back pages. I don't know if I had EVER been so livid over something.

Quote:
I agree with you, the Knicks garner a ton of notice -- even when they ARENT GOOD.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Knicks being a good team or a bad team and that's what I take exception to. If the Knicks are playing well or there is something newsworthy, then sure let's talk Knicks. But why are the Rangers ignored using the excuse "no one cares about hockey?" This can be in November when both league has "arguably meaningless" games. Yet somehow the Knicks playing the Jazz is somehow more exciting then the Rangers playing Philly or NJD.

I am not in denial of the reality that the NBA is more popular than the NHL. I know this to be true. But I think it is perpetuated by the same people who control the popularity -- like that moron ESPN executive who just had that interview about why ESPN hates hockey -- and the producers of talk radio/editors of sports sections who don't devote the time or space for coverage.

People are spoon-fed their news these days, and that feeds a perception of popularity. But I'd just like to experiment reversing roles for a year and see what happens when hockey gets NBA treatment by the media. Let's see what people think with a year or two of that of which sport is more popular.
Agree with all of this also. I will also never forget the mandatory Larry Brown pointing and yelling pictures that constantly were on the back page of the Post and News virtually EVERYDAY in that one season he coached the Knicks. And that was when the Rangers had that first good season after years of being bad and were a great Cinderella story. It was AWFUL.

Quote:
i think chicago is the same way. I think its more of a basketball town than a hockey town for the most part. But that's most likely cause of what jordan did there.
That is understandable. Jordan is a legend in Chicago. The Hawks up until a few years ago had been irrelevant for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGFaithful View Post

What will most likely happen is what happened last week. Knicks will get the back page and the Rangers will get the Front page. With the Knicks quite possibly on that as well.

Quote:

All those Cups? They've won 2 dude..and nothing since 75. But I get what you're saying about the "Broad Street Bullies" era.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote