HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: What do you think happens with Jordan Staal?

View Poll Results: What do you think happens with Jordan?
Staal signs by August 1, 2012. 19 14.29%
Staal signs before training camp. 24 18.05%
Staal signs during the preseason. 5 3.76%
Staal signs during the season. 19 14.29%
Staal signs during the offseason in 2013. 4 3.01%
Staal is traded. 50 37.59%
Staal becomes a UFA and signs elsewhere. 12 9.02%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Jonjmc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
One more thought. The new CBA is up in the air, which puts a lot of pressure on Shero, but also puts a lot of pressure on Staal and other teams. The cap could very well go down as owners look for greater revenue. If so, that not only will likely close the possibility of a team going all moron and offering Staal $7 million or $7.5 million long term, but will certainly close a lot of windows on any attractive option, as every team that is competitive will be close to the cap already and the change will effect them as well. Staal takes a huge risk in waiting, and may end up with far fewer viable options that he had hoped to have available.
While those are all valid points and most probably have been considered by Shero and the Staal camp, never discount the "moron" factor of a GM trying to save his job and offering a UFA more money than most think he should get. Seems to happen every year.

Jonjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjmc View Post
While those are all valid points and most probably have been considered by Shero and the Staal camp, never discount the "moron" factor of a GM trying to save his job and offering a UFA more money than most think he should get. Seems to happen every year.
Yeah, but a well run team that Staal actually thinks has a chance to compete over the life of the contract? Most of those already are skirting the cap and would have the same issues that the Pens have with cap management in adding him.

Honestly, if all this is is about more PP time, which is the only difference that I can see between Staal's role and Malkin and Crosby's, do people really think that he is leaving? That certainly can be worked out.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:15 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
This is what I see. And we will not have to wait long to see it. Either he signs soon after he is able to, or he likely leaves. There really is not a lot to negotiate if both sides want a deal.
Agreed. The value is really clear (somewhere between $5 & $6million), and the term is really flexible (Shero would go anywhere from 4 to 8 years, IMO).

Staal will not take a big discount to stay (i.e. less than $5million), but I also don't see him being greedy and wanting to cash in for $7million or else...

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:38 PM
PenguinTommy

So Staal is going to take LESS money and play 3rd LINE CENTER to be in Pittsburgh ???

It just doesn't make sense ...

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:56 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
So Staal is going to take LESS money and play 3rd LINE CENTER to be in Pittsburgh ???

It just doesn't make sense ...
How many minutes a night does your typical 3rd line center get?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:58 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
How many minutes a night does your typical 3rd line center get?
Quality of linemates and PP time. Unless we turn Martin into gold or Bennett comes along more quickly than anticipated, he's going to be stuck with Cooke/Kennedy/Duper with all the cap space dedicated to finding Sid his Neal.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
The outline of the CBA was set with the NFL and NBA at ~50% of revenue. I agree that Fehr will push for more revenue sharing and try to divide the owners on that issue. However, where I strongly disagree with you is the union being stronger. Fehr makes no difference unless all the players are on the same page, and there hasn't been any union solidarity since Eagleson. I will be downright shocked if the NHLPA doesn't fold again under pressure.

Also keep in mind that the reputation Fehr earned was in baseball, Bettman isn't Selig and the NHLPA isn't the MLBPA (the strongest sports union). This is the one situation where Bettman does have power. He has veto power over any CBA agreement and it requires a super-majority of owners to override him. The divide and conquer stategy that Fehr has used in the past could very well work against him this time.

While Fehr has certained earned his reputation, my money is on Bettman.
From everything I have read, the NHLPA is much more unified this time around. The players believe they gave into the owners last time, so I can't see them doing it again. I will be pretty shocked if the revenue percentage they agree on goes down very much, unless other concessions are made. Remember, the NHLPA was vehemently opposed to a cap, and they gave the owners their cap AND rollbacks.

Also, Fehr doesn't have to do much to turn the owners on each other in regards to revenue sharing, as the big boys are not happy with the current system.

In '04' the owners were able to manipulate the media and turn the public on the players, making them the scapegoats of the lockout. With Twitter and blogging as big as it is now, the players can garner much more public support than last time.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Jonjmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
From everything I have read, the NHLPA is much more unified this time around. The players believe they gave into the owners last time, so I can't see them doing it again. I will be pretty shocked if the revenue percentage they agree on goes down very much, unless other concessions are made. Remember, the NHLPA was vehemently opposed to a cap, and they gave the owners their cap AND rollbacks.

Also, Fehr doesn't have to do much to turn the owners on each other in regards to revenue sharing, as the big boys are not happy with the current system.

In '04' the owners were able to manipulate the media and turn the public on the players, making them the scapegoats of the lockout. With Twitter and blogging as big as it is now, the players can garner much more public support than last time.
There will always be concessions, in this case we already know that Sochi is one bargaining chip for the league. Last night on RDS, Fehr mentioned expansion talks as part of this CBA and that would be a HUGE bargaining chip for the league. By connecting the dots, the players give the league the lower percentage that the league is after in exchange for the creation of 45-50 new jobs for union members.

And as an aside, Bettman agrees with Fehr concerning more revenue sharing. I have already read a couple different, very creative ways of handling revenue sharing. Obviously we are just speculating and labor negotiations can be difficult to predict, but there is a deal to be made here. I just firmly believe that it's going to be near 50% for the players, I can respect that you don't think that because I've read the same or similar quotes and articles about the union, I simply won't believe them until I see them.... time will tell.

Jonjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
There will always be concessions, in this case we already know that Sochi is one bargaining chip for the league. Last night on RDS, Fehr mentioned expansion talks as part of this CBA and that would be a HUGE bargaining chip for the league. By connecting the dots, the players give the league the lower percentage that the league is after in exchange for the creation of 45-50 new jobs for union members.

And as an aside, Bettman agrees with Fehr concerning more revenue sharing. I have already read a couple different, very creative ways of handling revenue sharing. Obviously we are just speculating and labor negotiations can be difficult to predict, but there is a deal to be made here. I just firmly believe that it's going to be near 50% for the players, I can respect that you don't think that because I've read the same or similar quotes and articles about the union, I simply won't believe them until I see them.... time will tell.
Every interview I have seen with Fehr he continues to shoot down the notion the players will scale back from 57%. He is adamant that the players made significant concessions the last time, which they did.

Fehr has also been very consistent in saying that the players understand exactly what happened last time... Basically they got bent over.

So we will see what happens, but the owners will look like the greedy ones now and as I said earlier, the union has a plethora of avenues that were not available to them eight years ago, to push that msg out to the public.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 05-10-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote