HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Jordan Staal Thread, Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 06:35 PM
hctopcheds11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
If it's Oshie and Perron I wouldn't hate it. Just Oshie... No thanks.
I think Oshie and Perron is quite an overpayment for the Blues. I do think they may have to add to Oshie but keep in mind, Oshie is an RFA vs. Staal being a UFA.

Oshie+ for Staal may be true but I think the + is a lot smaller than Perron.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Pens1566

I'd be inclined to offer Staal + Orpik for Oshie++ if we could get the ++ to be Tarasenko or Stewart+

Old
05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
McTank

How does stafford+Enroth+McNabb/Adam sound?

Old
05-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
How does stafford+Enroth+McNabb/Adam sound?

Quote:
“All I knew about him was that he was this kid from Canada, maybe 14 or 15, who was supposed to be one of the best,” said Stafford. “When he arrived at Shattuck, I was instantly with him all the time. I was playing with him on the ice.”

Old
05-09-2012, 07:56 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
I'd be inclined to offer Staal + Orpik for Oshie++ if we could get the ++ to be Tarasenko or Stewart+
As would I. Although Orpik isn't going anywhere. And we'd have difficulty replacing him.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:02 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'd be pretty happy with a Granlund+ deal, but again, I'm not sure that Minnesota has that wing/defense piece to get it done. I like Brodziak a pretty decent amount. Very similar value to Simmonds from the Flyer deal, but he's a center not a winger. Clutterbuck doesn't bring enough offensive potential. Their defense doesn't have a real good defensive guy that is of the right value. Again, unfortunately I'm not sure this is a workable deal from both of our ends. I mean their pick always works, but I don't see them selling their future of both Granlund and the 7th for Staal.
I put Clutterbuck there just to add one solid piece.

If Tarasenko + Stewart + 2nd/3rd or Granlund + Brodziak + 2nd are on the table, Shero should take it.

Similar returns to Richards deal, IMO.

When it was a speculation/rumor about Staal or 1st overall 2012, I was like, I don't know, ...

I know Yakupov will be great player, but I prefer proven player. Even Tarasenko or Granlund have never played in the NHL you know they will be impact players since the day one!

Just watch Granlund on Worlds..He dominated Finnish league. Same goes with Tarasenko and how good he played in the KHL. But Yakupov... you could just see him in the OHL. Has never played a game on senior level..

Plus both Granlund and Tarasenko will be on ELCs.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:09 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
I think Oshie and Perron is quite an overpayment for the Blues. I do think they may have to add to Oshie but keep in mind, Oshie is an RFA vs. Staal being a UFA.

Oshie+ for Staal may be true but I think the + is a lot smaller than Perron.
I agree on this.

I think, Oshie will be better player than Dustin Brown. Better offense with hard hits.

Too bad LA Kings don't need a center. They've got the package perfectly fitted for us, exactly what we need.

Jordan Staal for Dustin Brown + Matt Greene

RH 2-way hard-hitting winger for Sid, plus big physical stay-at-home Dman.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:28 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
I agree on this.

I think, Oshie will be better player than Dustin Brown. Better offense with hard hits.

Too bad LA Kings don't need a center. They've got the package perfectly fitted for us, exactly what we need.

Jordan Staal for Dustin Brown + Matt Greene

RH 2-way hard-hitting winger for Sid, plus big physical stay-at-home Dman.
I don't see Oshie as "better" than Brown but he would be as good a piece as you can hope for in a realistic Staal trade scenario. Only thing really concerning with Oshie is he's never actually hit 20 goals, let alone the 30+ season that Brown has, but the potential is definitely there. I think he could replace some of the all-purpose value that Staal has as a physical presence, penalty killer, and two-way player, plus potentially more PP utility.

Tangradi - Crosby - Oshie
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

That would (or absolutely should) be a load to handle.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:22 PM
mpp9

Oshie is a more skilled player than Brown. He's a perfect complementary player for our centers.

Oshie/Malkin/Neal. Hells yea.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:23 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
So they should play on the same team? not sure where youre going with this

Old
05-09-2012, 10:25 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Staal was 12th in the league among centers in goals scored in 52 games. A prorated 33 goals over 82 games would have put him fourth in the league among centers. All the while being one of the top defensive centers in the game his entire career, and is only 23 years old.

Just look at the desperation on the trade board for a decent center. Yeah, we all saw how hard it was to find certain types of defensemen, in what Goligoski brought. But a center of the calibre of Staal does not come on the market often either, and every team in the league would want one.
And every team in the league wouldn't want a legit #1 defenseman that can hit 45-50 points in a season while playing great defense?

I'm not saying Staal is chopped liver here, but there is a reason that Seto, Coyle, and a first went for Burns. The guy is really damn good.

I think Staal and Burns are equal players for what they bring to the ice, but Burns being the defenseman is more valuable. It's just the way things work in the NHL. Not really another way to say it. I'm not saying centers aren't valuable, but look in past trades, and good defensemen tend to bring more than good centers, it's just kinda the way it works. It's why Burns brought more than both Carter and Richards last year.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:31 PM
mpp9

It's about team needs. SJ needed someone who can help take the pressure off of Boyle. I'd be pissed if Shero can't get a similar return for Staal.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:34 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It's about team needs. SJ needed someone who can help take the pressure off of Boyle. I'd be pissed if Sherl can't get a similar return for Staal.
Every trade is about team needs. The Jackets needed a franchise center, so they decided to try to acquire Carter. The Kings needed someone to take the pressure off of Kopitar down the middle, so they acquired Richards. The Kings were last in the league in scoring, so they acquired Carter. The Leafs need a gamebreaking center, so they'll be in on Staal. Etcetera. I'd hope every GM is trying to make trades based on team needs.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
So they should play on the same team? not sure where youre going with this
just poking fun at years and years of JJ/Sid bromance-fueled acquisition speculation. Stafford will obviously have chemistry with Sid

Old
05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Every trade is about team needs. The Jackets needed a franchise center, so they decided to try to acquire Carter. The Kings needed someone to take the pressure off of Kopitar down the middle, so they acquired Richards. The Kings were last in the league in scoring, so they acquired Carter. The Leafs need a gamebreaking center, so they'll be in on Staal. Etcetera. I'd hope every GM is trying to make trades based on team needs.
PMD are at a premium, but guys like Staal aren't made available anymore. Teams will overpay. Not sure what we're arguing about. SJ overpaid. Toronto will be willing to do the same. If a bidding war ensues, it'll get interesting. That didn't happen with Burns or Richards.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:34 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Near the limit.

Please continue here.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1187537

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Closed Thread