HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Future of Kimmo Timonen

Old
05-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I want him to finish his contract here and retire a Flyer. I am a huge fan of his candor in dealing with the media and his manner and game on the ice. He's the man and I wanna watch him play hockey for as long as he wants to do it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:41 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I want him to finnish his contract here and retire a Flyer. I am a huge fan of his candor in dealing with the media and his manner and game on the ice. He's the man and I wanna watch him play hockey for as long as he wants to do it.
Fixed.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Timonen is a warrior. He's awesome and I've loved what he's done for us. I hope he recovers healthy.
I agree, but if the Flyers give him the Gagne treatment it will piss me the hell off. The guy has spilled his guts for this organization. Has played hurt numerous times and has been nothing but a class act all the way. I want him back. Would love to see him named Captian as well.
Yes I know there is no indication that will happen. Hopefully it wont but there are similarities.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:45 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I agree, but if the Flyers give him the Gagne treatment it will piss me the hell off. The guy has spilled his guts for this organization. Has played hurt numerous times and has been nothing but a class act all the way. I want him back. Would love to see him named Captian as well.
Yes I know there is no indication that will happen. Hopefully it wont but there are similarities.
The Gagne situation was a bit different. Simon could barely make it through half a season without being seriously injured and needing months and months of recovery time. Getting rid of Gagne was a good business decision, but not a good moral decision.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post

Yes, this photo breaks my heart. But I must say... snazzy look for G right there. Like the style.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
We had to overwork him again. They need another good D man or two and keep Kimmo's minutes reasonable.
Well, that WAS the plan until Pronger got hurt, and then Meszaros, Bourdon, Grossmann, Kubina......

I don't see him retiring this summer, but I also don't think he could be reupped next summer for more than $2M/yr, in which case that will be up to him.

Great player when healthy, but chronic back problems are hurting his ability to skate.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:56 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Slightly bigger.

nevermore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:00 PM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
He shouldn't play till the All-Star break if he comes back, it sucked to see this happen to him, true warrior.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:05 PM
AaronTrieu

I love him, i know he gave it his best. His body just can't do what his heart wants him to do.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:08 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Slightly bigger.

That pictures tells me one thing in particular. This team wanted it as bad as you possibly could, they just ran out of gas. As bad as the Devils series went, I can still say I'm proud of the steps that this young team has taken this year. It's the same way that I felt after they lost to the Blackhawks in 2010. Well... I still hated Leighton, but the rest of the team will always be a fond memory.

Last edited by flyershockey: 05-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.
flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:22 PM
pughater

someone said he played with torn knee ligaments

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:44 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
Screw everyone saying Timonen should retire. The guy is a warrior. Plays through every injury imaginable. He was obviously playing hurt in the playoffs and it hurt his performance a bit but that still doesn't change the fact that he was still one of our best defenders throughout the season. He deserves to be able to play the last year of his contract because he has been worth every penny we've given him. This team without Kimmo loses a huge veteran presence. He is the heart of that defensive core and without him we lose a lot. Not only that but he's one of our best offensive defensemen. Who's supposed to fill that role?

I'm not sure why this is even a thread right now. The team is young enough as is. We need guys like Kimmo on this team and I don't see why they wouldn't just let him play the final year of his contract for a chance at the cup.
A lot of us are concerned about his long term health. Believe it or not, hockey players aren't robots and as much as we wish he was 25 and had a lot of years ahead of him, he really gets beat up out there. Besides that, he's the one that started this retirement talk a couple of years ago. He has since changed his stance a couple of times so that's why we're speculating.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 05:46 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
That picture sucks.

05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 214
Really hard to justify 6 mil on a second pairing D as a lot of people are suggesting. We need Timonen I just wish it was at 2/3 the price. Whether he retires or not, if Pronger is also out, it's clear we need two big additions to the blue line to replace their minutes.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Ryker

I found it interesting that in They Sad It... Kimmo says: "Look at this team. How many young guys here. They are going to have a really good team for years to come." Emphasis is mine, and I might be looking too much into this, but could this not also suggest he doesn't see himself as a part of this team in the future year(s)?

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:13 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yes, this photo breaks my heart. But I must say... snazzy look for G right there. Like the style.
That's a horrible suit

And I want so bad to see Timo lift the cup. Frankly, he deserves it more than anyone on this team.

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:30 PM
the lers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
It seems like he just gets worn down as the season progresses. He was VERY good through the first half of the season and then slowly declined. I'm interested to see if he has injuries.
I think he probably does, even if he's not injured he was def playing hurt. He's a shot blocking machine and he just continues to take punishment and come back for his next shift. Personally, he's one of my favorite flyers and one of the most stand up professionals in the game

the lers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:34 PM
the lers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I found it interesting that in They Sad It... Kimmo says: "Look at this team. How many young guys here. They are going to have a really good team for years to come." Emphasis is mine, and I might be looking too much into this, but could this not also suggest he doesn't see himself as a part of this team in the future year(s)?
Unfortunately he is making a ton of money compared to other producers on this team..if his salary was bumped down to even 4-4.5 then he's totally worth it. But he and Briere have the highest cap hit and Briere's clutch in the playoffs, but hardly justified it in the reg season and Kimmo seems to be wearing down from over usage. Tho I will always love him because he's been a rock for us and was overlooked and underrated while Pronger was here. With respect to the quote, I'm sure he just meant that because he knows he won't be around for long and the core of this team is so young that they will be great for years to come if they can stay together.

the lers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Sam Donnellon: Was this Timonen's swan song?

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere but a sobering read. Looks like he will assess things and decide but I think he comes back for his last year. Timonen is one of my favorite players all time...has a lot of integrity and plays his heart out and the bashing of him at times troubles me....he deserves more respect.

Quote:
HE FINISHED another postseason looking again like an old action figure, his limbs long misshapen from too much bending and wear, his effectiveness frayed by too many hits, too much dependence, too many years of doing this.

Kimmo Timonen ends his latest postseason at 37 years old, a year left on his contract, the tread on his tires visibly worn. You have loved the guy for his smarts and for his fight, for being a guy who will play with a bad back, a bad knee, a bad shoulder, and still find a way to impact a game. But he is 37, and the bendable parts aren't bending much anymore.

"I'm running out of time, to be honest," he said after the Flyers were eliminated, 3-1, by the New Jersey Devils Tuesday night. It was a sentiment he expressed at the end of last year's aborted run as well.

"After the Pittsburgh series I really thought this was our chance," Timonen said. "Look at the teams that were out. Look at the teams that were in. I thought every team that was still in was beatable."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1uQb8jFye

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
That picture sucks.
True, but can someone with photoshop skills find the picture of Bobby Clarke in that same Leisure Suit and put him beside Claude?

Sincerely,
Leisure Suit Larry

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
pughater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
You don't pay a guy 6+ million to play a reduced role and 2nd pairing minutes. As much of a warrior he is, his cap hit is not justified at this point. He needs to retire.
if this guy doesnt do what he did for us every year we've had him except the time he had the blood clot. not his call. he'd give both his arms and legs to help us win. there arent that many #1 or #2 guys other there that can replace him that arent going to be wanted by other teams. he doesnt party and he is well respected by his peers except cindy .anyone that needs to retire it may be prongs sorry.

Last edited by pughater: 05-09-2012 at 09:33 PM.
pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:35 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I woke up this morning still feeling bad about that picture. Hoping we can set the ship straight next year, have a little luck and give Kimmo the best going away present imaginable.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Losing Pronger just ruined it for everybody but particularly Timonen.....two years in a row (with this the worst) that he had to carry the extra load. Grossmann came too late and then his own injuries (knee and concussion) didn't help and then of course Funky Cold Kubina offered pretty much no added value b/c he was damaged goods...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:56 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I woke up this morning still feeling bad about that picture. Hoping we can set the ship straight next year, have a little luck and give Kimmo the best going away present imaginable.
That picture should be hung up in the locker room next year.

"This man played with torn ligaments in his knee...for the cup...How dedicated are you?"

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:20 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
The Gagne situation was a bit different. Simon could barely make it through half a season without being seriously injured and needing months and months of recovery time. Getting rid of Gagne was a good business decision, but not a good moral decision.
maybe I shouldnt of phrased it like that, but my point being I hope he isnt the guy traded for Cap purposes. He is a warrior in every sense of the word. He has passed Rico has my favorite Flyer defenseman of recent memory.

the picture in this thread sucks. The look on his face alone makes me feel he needs to retire here and we need to do everything possible to get him a Cup.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote