HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin injured shoulder at WC (UPDATE: Bruised shoulder)

Old
05-10-2012, 04:45 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
No one will argue to Emelin created a ton of turnovers, also he has as many assists as Komisarek this year while playing 22 games more, and this:

http://www.boucherscouting.com/2012/...e-concern.html

So I'm at the very least somewhat right...

Edit: actually he's third on the team for giveaways even if he only played 67 games with limited icetime.
He was a rookie d-man who was used to playing a completely different game for the last 7 years. He also was constantly having to play with different partners and at times was playing on the wrong side.

Did you expect Emelin to come over and play 21 minutes a night of flawless defence in his rookie season?

Such a huge, huge fail. Try watching some games instead of just looking up stats and forming an argument around it.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:18 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
He was a rookie d-man who was used to playing a completely different game for the last 7 years. He also was constantly having to play with different partners and at times was playing on the wrong side.

Did you expect Emelin to come over and play 21 minutes a night of flawless defence in his rookie season?

Such a huge, huge fail. Try watching some games instead of just looking up stats and forming an argument around it.
All I'm saying, is that so far, like Weber, he still hasn't shown he's a NHL caliber dman. I have no problem if we keep him as our 7th or 8th dman, but if he's considered as a starter next year, we're in serious trouble.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
For some reason it seems you guys have a good opinion of that guy. Maybe it's just a question of adaptation to the NA game, but the guy was terrible this year. He makes Komisarek look like a good passer, and defensively he was the worst of our (pretty damn bad) group.
Not sure where you get that he had a terrible year. Most people would agree that he was a solid contributor even getting used to a new system, language, rink and culture. He was a force in the physical game and showed flashes of offense later in the year, maybe got a bit winded at the end.

He is 10x the passer that Komisarek is, not sure what player or team you were watching, but after his hitting, his first pass was the first thing I noticed, his head would come up and bang the break out pass was on the tape. If he did struggle at one thing it was positionning, which is not a big shock considering he is getting used to a smaller rink, different system, new partners(went through like 8 or 9 partners) plus playing both LH and RH side. However I think all those experiences will benefit him next year. I'd like to see us signing him for 2 more years, I think in time he'll be a high end #3-4 guy who can play in all situations and dominate physically.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
No one will argue to Emelin created a ton of turnovers, also he has as many assists as Komisarek this year while playing 22 games more, and this:

http://www.boucherscouting.com/2012/...e-concern.html

So I'm at the very least somewhat right...

Edit: actually he's third on the team for giveaways even if he only played 67 games with limited icetime.
The "giveaway" stat is horrible, it penalizes guys taht handle the puck a lot, I remember Markov at his peak where he and Listrom were in the top 5 in the NHl in "giveaways". Useless stat the way it's compiled.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
All I'm saying, is that so far, like Weber, he still hasn't shown he's a NHL caliber dman. I have no problem if we keep him as our 7th or 8th dman, but if he's considered as a starter next year, we're in serious trouble.
Weber has shown flashes of being a very efficient PMD who plays a mistake free game defendively and is strong on the PP. He definitely needs to bring it more consistently but last year we had a ton of bodies in and out of the lineup and no consistant roles. He went from 23 minutes to like 12 to the press box to playing forward.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:14 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
You do understand the "maturing process" of rookie players, right ? Emelin has very high upside, yes he's far from being a Top 4 defenceman right now, but he should be a starter as long as he has a limited role. That's how you groom a player into being the best he can. What we need is a legit Top 4, physical defensive defenseman, to play with Markov, that way we can play Emelin on the 3rd pairing with limited ice time...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
defensively he was the worst of our (pretty damn bad) group.
No way, Weber was much worse then Emelin in his own end and I'd rather have Emelin then Kabs or Crapoli as neither were very good in their own end.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The "giveaway" stat is horrible, it penalizes guys taht handle the puck a lot, I remember Markov at his peak where he and Listrom were in the top 5 in the NHl in "giveaways". Useless stat the way it's compiled.
Besides, according to that site Emelin is only 4% behind the team average for completed passes.

Oh noes! A rookie that's adapting to the North American game still has some improvements to make....what a bum!

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:10 PM
phoque taupe

Dave Stubbs@habsinsideout1

Via @GenadiB: Emelin update: bruised shoulder, game-time decision today vs #Habs teammate Eller, RUS vs DEN #WHC #iihf

https://twitter.com/#!/habsinsideout...60792842674176

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:17 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoque taupe View Post

Via @GenadiB: Emelin update: bruised shoulder, game-time decision today vs #Habs teammate Eller, RUS vs DEN #WHC #iihf

Phew!

05-10-2012, 12:19 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:

Seems like I was right. I should have a PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
It doesn't seem very serious to me.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Will he need surgery?

Will he miss all or part of next year?

Should we consider non-tendering him for being "damaged goods"?

Old
05-10-2012, 01:08 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Well he looked just fine out there playing the PP and everything. There goes the thread...

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Bullsmith

Good news it's just a bruised shoulder. I hope Emelin gets a solid, regular bottom pairing slot next year. He had adjustment issues early and faded late, but he showed progress and a clear ability to learn. His ability to shift his weight and direction and deliver crunching hits with almost no warning can't be taught. He's a keeper in my opinion, just not one who should be counted on in a top four role. At least not yet.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:12 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Good news it's just a bruised shoulder. I hope Emelin gets a solid, regular bottom pairing slot next year. He had adjustment issues early and faded late, but he showed progress and a clear ability to learn. His ability to shift his weight and direction and deliver crunching hits with almost no warning can't be taught. He's a keeper in my opinion, just not one who should be counted on in a top four role. At least not yet.
Play him on the left side. it's gonna help him.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:39 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
agreed, some guys just can't play their off side, he appears to be one of them. Just leave the kid at LD imo.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
agreed, some guys just can't play their off side, he appears to be one of them. Just leave the kid at LD imo.
I think once he is fully adjusted to the NHL playing RH side wouldn't be a big deal, but with already a lot on his plate it made it a bigger challenge.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Bigtime. He did not look good on his off side at all. I know it's attractive to pair him with Markov but really they both belong on the left.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Bigtime. He did not look good on his off side at all. I know it's attractive to pair him with Markov but really they both belong on the left.
I would ask Gorges to go back on the right side where he was playing before last season.

Markov-Gorges

Emelin- Subban

Kaberle (!!!) - new big gritty d-man.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:45 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think once he is fully adjusted to the NHL playing RH side wouldn't be a big deal, but with already a lot on his plate it made it a bigger challenge.
perhaps but for now they should leave him at LD.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:46 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Pair him his Carkner so he can destroy people and having Carkner have his back.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Astigmatism fully explains your views on the subject.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:12 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Hahah. I watched the games. Emelin is a very competent player who's not all that great at anything offensively but very solid. He hits like a freight train. He needs coaching and experience and he'll be a much better d-man. He's already NHL calibre by the way, a guy like that on defence with his footspeed (very solid and not often talked about) and the way he hits he's an NHL calibre d-man even if he handles the puck like Komisarek. Guess what though, he's much better and you're COMPLETELY ignoring the difficulty one would feel in not just coming from an entirely different league to a new one (with different arena dimensions...) but also playing on a bad team.

Really excited to see Emelin playing every night he's healthy next year. Enjoy your giveaway stats though

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
dcyhabs

I didn't know which side Emelin normally played on so I was kind of down on him, the way he would get beat for goals. Now that I think about it most of those plays were coming on his off side, so I will have to keep that in mind next year if he's back.

I thought Weber was up and down this year. He might be another of the many young guys who just could not deal with Martin. Martin seemed to feel that if players could not cope with random benchings etc. they would fail in the playoffs. Some players can deal with adversity from opponents, but not from their coaches. Next year will be make or break for him, but he's younger than anyone else on D, other than Subban (and he was as good or better than Subban in junior, of course Subban's improvement curve has been impressive since).

The D will be such a question mark for at least the next two years, and possibly beyond if Beaulieu, Ellis, and Tinordi don't progress.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
The reactions here are priceless.

I'm sure it's just something minor. Calm down everyone.
Quote:

Knew it!

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote